Cordless power tool system - which one ?

Kklee

48 minutes ago, Ender said:

Black n Decker and Stanley has 5% off at lazada.  No opinion which brand is better.

https://www.lazada.sg/shop/black-and-decker-sg

Selffix sell the 18V one cheaper than the official's 5% off. And tonite after 12am, seems like this item is part of a Lazada sales This BnD (10mm chuck) has 40Nm torque compare to the borsch (13mm chuck) 18V one at 21Nm.. 

https://www.lazada.sg/products/lowest-price-black-and-decker-bdchd18k-lithium-cordless-drill-driver-kit-box-and-bits-18v-bd-cordless-hammer-drill-bdchd18-i100003250.html

Edited by Ender
  • Praise 1

2 hours ago, Lala81 said:

Hmm looking to get a simple home cordless drill/screw. Just for use on regular wall or ikea for now.

Anything wrong with getting this? Seems like best VFM.

Bosch GSB-120 (GSB apparently has hammer function, but GSR is only drill).
https://shopee.sg/BANSOON-BOSCH-Cordless-Impact-Drill-Driver-GSB-120-LI.-include-23pcs-drill-bit-set-carrying-case-2pcs-12V-battery-ch-i.94683324.4118670876

There's the 18V GSB-180 version. Another $60 more.
https://shopee.sg/BOSCH-CORDLESS-DRILL-IMPACT-BATTERY-DRILL-WITH-ACCESSORIES-AND-TOOLBOX-i.134408112.2856067552

@Kb27

if you do quite some concrete drilling, then a rotary hammer is the best with the SDS bits. fuss free. don't really need a cordless unless you are outdoors. the batteries are happiest if you use them. if most of the time they are going to sit, then a corded drill might be better.

typical hammer drills with the chuck are ok for brick walls. but when it come to concrete, some can struggle.

• Praise 1

29 minutes ago, Mkl22 said:

if you do quite some concrete drilling, then a rotary hammer is the best with the SDS bits. fuss free. don't really need a cordless unless you are outdoors. the batteries are happiest if you use them. if most of the time they are going to sit, then a corded drill might be better.

typical hammer drills with the chuck are ok for brick walls. but when it come to concrete, some can struggle.

Rotary is quite an overkill for normal household. I bought a cordless one becos I had to core a couple of holes of 30 pls mm x 15cm!  Drilled until hands/arms numb. Never use it since.....

15 minutes ago, Volvobrick said:

Rotary is quite an overkill for normal household. I bought a cordless one becos I had to core a couple of holes of 30 pls mm x 15cm!  Drilled until hands/arms numb. Never use it since.....

yeah is a tad overkill till you kenna some tough concrete. i got fed up and bought a makita 18V rotary hammer from the US some back and never had to waste time holding the drill and waiting for the hammer action to chip away .

• Haha! 1

5 hours ago, Lala81 said:

Hmm looking to get a simple home cordless drill/screw. Just for use on regular wall or ikea for now.

https://shopee.sg/BANSOON-BOSCH-Cordless-Impact-Drill-Driver-GSB-120-LI.-include-23pcs-drill-bit-set-carrying-case-2pcs-12V-battery-ch-i.94683324.4118670876

https://shopee.sg/BOSCH-CORDLESS-DRILL-IMPACT-BATTERY-DRILL-WITH-ACCESSORIES-AND-TOOLBOX-i.134408112.2856067552

@Kb27

Haha thanks for calling. I've been rather busy these few days moving stuffs around. And yes, I get plenty of chance to use power drills. In US, they often sell a combo set of drill + impact driver, bcuz with the 2, you get to do a lot of work.

I needed the drill (Milwaukee 18V) to drill off rivets and repair my ladder.

When I move my furniture, shelves, I needed the impact driver. This is one of the most useful tool, although it cost me almost $200 then. Mine is a Makita 10.8V lithium-ion, with a hex shank, you have many types of drives available. I used philiips and square drive. Square drive is amazing. The tool can pick up the screw and it won't fall off like a phillips.

I would recommend a set like this:

https://www.horme.com.sg/product.aspx?id=2514

For the wall, I'd suggest you go hardcore and get a rotary hammer. Mine is a Makita corded. I use to get those drill with hammer function. I keep getting higher power when it couldn't make holes in hdb concrete wall. Then finally I got the rotary hammer, and now drilling wall is a piece of cake. Even drill ceiling too.

But a big word of caution, before you start drilling, don't forget PPE. Eye/face protection, gloves (cut level 5) are a must.

My Makita impact driver, picking up a square drive screw. You can't do this with a phillips screw.

maksq.jpg

Edited by Kb27
  • Praise 3

36 minutes ago, Kb27 said:

Haha thanks for calling. I've been rather busy these few days moving stuffs around. And yes, I get plenty of chance to use power drills. In US, they often sell a combo set of drill + impact driver, bcuz with the 2, you get to do a lot of work.

I needed the drill (Milwaukee 18V) to drill off rivets and repair my ladder.

When I move my furniture, shelves, I needed the impact driver. This is one of the most useful tool, although it cost me almost $200 then. Mine is a Makita 10.8V lithium-ion, with a hex shank, you have many types of drives available. I used philiips and square drive. Square drive is amazing. The tool can pick up the screw and it won't fall off like a phillips.

I would recommend a set like this:

https://www.horme.com.sg/product.aspx?id=2514

For the wall, I'd suggest you go hardcore and get a rotary hammer. Mine is a Makita corded. I use to get those drill with hammer function. I keep getting higher power when it couldn't make holes in hdb concrete wall. Then finally I got the rotary hammer, and now drilling wall is a piece of cake. Even drill ceiling too.

But a big word of caution, before you start drilling, don't forget PPE. Eye/face protection, gloves (cut level 5) are a must.

My Makita impact driver, picking up a square drive screw. You can't do this with a phillips screw.

Hmmm was going to ask u what's the difference between getting a cordless hammer drill vs getting the combi set (impact driver plus drill)

But I think this video explained it pretty well. 

22 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

Hmmm was going to ask u what's the difference between getting a cordless hammer drill vs getting the combi set (impact driver plus drill)

But I think this video explained it pretty well. 

When you go with cordless, it can be a bit confusing.

Let's start with the drill - this is usually where you put in a drill bit to make a hole in metal or wood. Some comes with a hammer function. They may have  different names like impact drill or whatever. Imo, the hammer function is practically useless, bcuz if you stay in hdb, you're always hitting a concrete when you try to drill into a wall. If it's softer mortar or cement, it might work, with concrete you'll tear your hair out. It's like using a very small hammer to hammer on the wall, while a rotary hammer is like using a big sledgehammer. For drilling, they have a clutch, which you can set, so that the clutch slips when the bit hits certain resistance.

Next are the impact drivers - usually they are "lower" in power as compared to impact wrench. This comes with a hex drive. Usually used by carpenters, construction, general hobbyists. Bits are like phillips, square, allen key, to drive screws. The impact is sideways or rotational. So the impact helps drive screws, lag bolts into tough material. So this is a driver, not a drill.

Finally, the so call "impact wrench", which is often higher powered, used by mechanics. The tool comes with a square drive, 1/4, 3/8 or 1/2" etc. You would usually use hex sockets to drive bolts.

Can you use either one to do another type of job ? Yes, you can, but it's not always practical. Although there are bit adapters to cross-over from one tool to the other.

If you want to drill a hole, using an impact driver, it would tend to slip left or right and usually won't make a nice square hole, unlike using a drill.

If you want to use a drill as a driver, you can put, say a phillips bit and drive a screw. You would then set the clutch to slip, bcuz it doesn't have an impact function. Some people like to use this way, bcuz they don't like the impact noise.

Imo, it is more vfm when you get both a drill + impact driver as a combo set, regardless the brand. You spend more in the beginning, yes, but when the time comes, you might appreciate having the other around. Also the big expenses later on is not so much the tool, but the batteries.

I also have deWalt and Makita. I like the Makita better bcuz you're holding the battery, while the deWalt is like something hanging off below, so the handling is more unbalance.

A 10 or 12V cordless is good enough for most non-professionals. It is lightweight, easy to handle. You can get a few hours work before the battery goes flat. If you have a combo, there's a standby 2nd battery ready for use.

If you go for 18 or 20V, yes, the battery last longer between charge. So unless you have a big job to do, you don't really need this voltage. Also the tool is heavier and bulkier.

• Praise 3

On 9/17/2020 at 2:27 PM, Lala81 said:

@Kb27

The GSB-120 Li should be sufficient. 
There are  specific drill bits for masonry purposes as well.
IIRC, this drill driver do no have kick-back control which can cause injury. 

Oops.. i just saw I had both ! 

On 10/10/2020 at 7:41 PM, Kklee said:

The GSB-120 Li should be sufficient. 
There are  specific drill bits for masonry purposes as well.
IIRC, this drill driver do no have kick-back control which can cause injury. 

Oops.. i just saw I had both ! 

I'm thinking of getting the model you mentioned. Would you recommend?

On 9/10/2021 at 3:43 AM, fatiherol54 said:

I'm thinking of getting the model you mentioned. Would you recommend?

Purpose? 

4 minutes ago, fatiherol54 said:

For home repairs and personal use.

IMHO.
Should be quite alright.  
Do take into consideration that this is an old model.
The newer tech have shorter body that is good for tight places.