Complexities in hit and run incidents

Good evening

A car hit my stationary parked car at my condo

1) reported to security and asked for visitors vehicles but they Denied as they want to protect visitors privacy - it's quite weird that I am the owner and yet I cannot know who comes to visit in my condo?

2) called the police for assistance. They also refused to help. They said its private property so it's not governed in their jurisdiction to lodge investigation

It's amazing how the world has changed this days

On the brighter side it's not a major damage. And the world moves on with a Scott free hit and run

↡ Advertisement

Supercharged

I think the condo security guard or manager is plain lazy. To them they dont take the position it is residents interest they should prioritise on protecting. That why they come up with excuse they cannot compromise privacy of visitor. I dont believe the mcst will get into trouble if they let you view the tape of cctv.

Good evening

1) reported to security and asked for visitors vehicles but they Denied as they want to protect visitors privacy - it's quite weird that I am the owner and yet I cannot know who comes to visit in my condo?

2) called the police for assistance. They also refused to help. They said its private property so it's not governed in their jurisdiction to lodge investigation

On the brighter side it's not a major damage. And the world moves on with a Scott free hit and run

Twincharged

TS,never treat the guards snacks or drinks,or maybe never even bother to say "Hello" to them everyday,when exiting or entering,so "Bochap"... :wacko:

Good evening

1) tell your guards you are filing report and there will be investigation

2) go file a police report

3) go get a lawyer and file civil suit

Or

1) go get a car camera

Both the guards and police did nothing wrong, so what's the point in your post?

The difference today is everyone talk about abiding by law, if the guards show you or give you the evidence, what would happen to them if someone complained they leaked it?

This is not a police case and if they investigate without a magistrates order and someone complain what would happen?

• Praise 1

Twincharged

1) tell your guards you are filing report and there will be investigation

2) go file a police report

3) go get a lawyer and file civil suit

Or

1) go get a car camera

Both the guards and police did nothing wrong, so what's the point in your post?

The difference today is everyone talk about abiding by law, if the guards show you or give you the evidence, what would happen to them if someone complained they leaked it?

This is not a police case and if they investigate without a magistrates order and someone complain what would happen?

Actually we are indirectly saboing ourself. 10, 20yrs back when we do have privacy protection but not as stringent as now. I believe the security guards would have gladly review who is the one visiting based on their record. But nowadays review this details, later the condo management kanna sue for leaking privacy information how? So its not the security guards don't want to help you. Maybe they have a set of protocol to follow and one of it is to never review who visited the condo unless police investigation. So cannot blame the security guard as his hands are tight. Want blame, blame it on ourselves lor. Everytime we complaint this and that to the government on not enough privacy protection. The government set tougher rule and regulation as years goes by. So now sometimes such a simple request can also be that difficult to get. So we are indirectly saboing ourself right?

• Praise 1

Turbocharged
(edited)

Sucks thumb lor.

Even a S$50 or s$60 in car camera can save u from all these headache

Oh ya.....some condo don't even take down car number or contact no if u tell them deliver documents or drop passengers.

Edited by Mcf777
  • Praise 1

Actually we are indirectly saboing ourself. 10, 20yrs back when we do have privacy protection but not as stringent as now. I believe the security guards would have gladly review who is the one visiting based on their record. But nowadays review this details, later the condo management kanna sue for leaking privacy information how? So its not the security guards don't want to help you. Maybe they have a set of protocol to follow and one of it is to never review who visited the condo unless police investigation. So cannot blame the security guard as his hands are tight. Want blame, blame it on ourselves lor. Everytime we complaint this and that to the government on not enough privacy protection. The government set tougher rule and regulation as years goes by. So now sometimes such a simple request can also be that difficult to get. So we are indirectly saboing ourself right?

Now with time that has passed. Finding the culprit could be harder. Best way is to act fast during such incidents. If other parties don't cooperate then it slows down everything

Good evening

Im sure there's some SOP on CCTV viewing.. Not any ah kow say wanna view can view..

Why don't u find out the SOP and share with us here..

Turbocharged

I'd be rather worried if the security could "anyhow" release the visitor info to any resident -

IF I am innocently visiting one of the other residents I don't anyhow want TS to have my information...

Furthermore, what if there is a legal reason for me to visit, but I wanna keep the information confidential for some reason (there could be legitimate reasons for this)...then how?

On the other hand, the police should be investigating, and if they review it is different

Eeerr....which Condo this??

What you have brought up is an interesting issue; As a Tenant or Landlord of a unit, should one not have the right to justice to damage inflicted to their property within the Condo?? especially if its 3rd party outside people whom might be even the neighbour of TS since the person must be visiting the units nearby him (if its one of those condos with many lift lobbies type)

After all we pay maintainence and security charges is for what then?? But the thing is also how will he be able to narrow down as to whom is the visitor whom did the damage (if its a big condo the car park gates opening/closing might be having so many cars in/out and of course visitors have to like give particulars usually)

What TS has brought up is an interesting situation and as he mentioned he was lucky as the damage was not heavy

My friends car a 2 year old Merc kenna also the front grille - must be most likely a pick up truck reversing .... cost him almost $1K. Bumper was not damaged

TS asked for visitorS' carplates... at no time did he say he was asking for CCTV..

i am going to guess..

his assumption is that the damage is done by visitors...

and that there isnt any CCTV aimed at his car.

Now with time that has passed. Finding the culprit could be harder. Best way is to act fast during such incidents. If other parties don't cooperate then it slows down everything

Firstly, you need to check if your MCST has placed a disclaimer signboard at the entrance of the carpark to inform everyone that parking in the premise is at the sole risk of the car owners. If this is the case then it will be hard to file a suit against them.

Secondly, you are assuming the hit and run is done by a visiting car. It could be a resident's car also? Most condos have some form of CCTVs but they don't cover all angles. If you are parked in a location with no CCTV coverage, what is the point of getting the details of the 125 cars that came in to your condo? Perhaps you can trace it down to the colour of the vehicle against the paint residue on your vehicle - but if the culprit's car is repaired and resprayed, you LLST since no video evidence.

I empathize with your situation but this is like searching for a needle in a haysack. As others have adviced, time to get a car cam.

↡ Advertisement