Suicide over O level results

Aventador

the one in bold... how can one be so irresponsible not to finish homework.

Haha! Maybe got loads of homework and cannot finish all in time?

Stress lor... just like when our "IN" tray is piling up.

Haha! Maybe got loads of homework and cannot finish all in time?

Stress lor... just like when our "IN" tray is piling up.

quite simple, all depends on the parents.

some parents check all the books from school everyday, then follow by pile of assessment books.

some parents just ask 'boy/girl, any home work today?" "NO mummy!" and carry on with the tv show or pc games [laugh][laugh]

• Praise 1

Hypersonic

I always hear of tiger mums but do tiger dads exist?

any parent, mum or dad, born in the year of tiger are all tiger mums and dads

the rest are rat,ox, dragon etc

:D

• Praise 1

(edited)

Got a classmate who is a psychologist and he had a student patient who came to see him as in her words "I'm doing badly in school, so can't take it".

Classmate went to her school to talk to the principal who commented that this student was actually very smart and had always finished amongst the top 3 in her cohort, in fact more often 2nd. However, she was very annoyed to lose to the top student consistently and thus branded herself a failure.

There was no pressure from parents supposedly and neither was there from the school and she brought this pressure on herself till she couldn't take it. There was also another case of a student slashing herself again due to study pressure. Not generalizing but it seems that more often, they are girls.

Anyway, as parents we should watch our child's behavior and whilst it's good to be self-motivated. Tell tale signs must be observed and acted on quickly before the situation gets out of hand. That said, our busy parents of today have little time for their children so good reminder to take a step back occasionally and remember your child's well being is paramount and no point being successful in your career at their expense, be warned!!!

My daughter who is in P4 is also like that......always saying she is 'stupid' for not being able to do her homework. Funny thing is she has been scoring As and Bs and sometime a C for her subject....her Maths and Science is always above 75...mt is constantly above 90....but she hates Arts.....hahaha! My Mrs always tells her its ok as she had tried her best and i always tell her its ok....nx time can do better. But she is putting too much pressure on herself and being her cohorts Counsellor puts her in another level as she doesnt want to let let teachers down! I had much an easier time with her brother (normal boy's behaviour) who is doing his Degree while serving his army stint! Edited by Eviilusion
  • Praise 1

My boy is 4 this year. Wife wanted to enroll him in English lessons earlier this year so went down to have a look and chat with the teacher. A friend has recommended, saying it helped her son tremendously. When we reached there, I did not like it as the words "champion", "winner" etc was plastered everywhere. I understand the need for positive encouragement, but I do not want and need my sons to be champions or winners. So i vetoed the idea. Also at the same time, my son was changing school and did not want to stress him out. Wife said ok and I agreed to revisit the idea some time later. Now we just let him go to a Chinese class where he just sing and dance every saturday

Ditto to those tuition/educational centres everywhere - displaying all their "credentials" on the glass panels

As of now, me and my wife still on same wave length regarding this, and I hope we will continue and not succumb to the society pressure.

• Praise 6

My daughter who is in P4 is also like that......always saying she is 'stupid' for not being able to do her homework. Funny thing is she has been scoring As and Bs and sometime a C for her subject....her Maths and Science is always above 75...mt is constantly above 90....but she hates Arts.....hahaha! My Mrs always tells her its ok as she had tried her best and i always tell her its ok....nx time can do better. But she is putting too much pressure on herself and being her cohorts Counsellor puts her in another level as she doesnt want to let let teachers down! I had much an easier time with her brother (normal boy's behaviour) who is doing his Degree while serving his army stint!

My daughter was like that too and I always advocate reverse psychology ie dragging her out for games, shows whatever so as to give her a break cos otherwise she would bury herself in studies and by her benchmark, she's not ready for exams which is no true at all (she's never ready in spite of the many hours she has put in!).

Inversely, my nephew had to be given a kick up the backside cos he's always into sports esp football and has no time for studies. He even got the cheek to tell me why my daughter has to be pulled out to play games whilst he does it voluntarily haha, the nerve of him to suggest this!

Anyway, when they were more matured, the boy realized his folly and worked much harder in Uni albeit had to go overseas. My daughter went into NUS and was much more balanced as her peers were able to juggle games, studies and community work well so she followed suit but I kept a close eye nevertheless which we parents have to do no matter how busy. Good luck to your son as not easy to juggle NS n studies simultaneously but when there's a will there's a way I always say!!

• Praise 4

My boy is 4 this year. Wife wanted to enroll him in English lessons earlier this year so went down to have a look and chat with the teacher. A friend has recommended, saying it helped her son tremendously. When we reached there, I did not like it as the words "champion", "winner" etc was plastered everywhere. I understand the need for positive encouragement, but I do not want and need my sons to be champions or winners. So i vetoed the idea. Also at the same time, my son was changing school and did not want to stress him out. Wife said ok and I agreed to revisit the idea some time later. Now we just let him go to a Chinese class where he just sing and dance every saturday

Ditto to those tuition/educational centres everywhere - displaying all their "credentials" on the glass panels

As of now, me and my wife still on same wave length regarding this, and I hope we will continue and not succumb to the society pressure.

if you want a fun place to learn english at 4, try British Council.

My colleague was one, when her child was a teenager I can alwats hear her talking over the phone .. "NO DINNER tonight if you do not finish your homework!" "Headache? Go take panadol, rest 10 mins and go study!" "Study is for your own good!" And I always reminded myself not to be like her but of course her daughter did extremely well. She is now doing her PHD at Cambridge University..... ><

I hope the daughter dun get Permanent Head Damage after all these hot housing... some children turn up abnormal and can't fit in to society as they lack EQ and common sense tho' they are very well educated... a case i rem frm the news some years back was the pakistani father in england hot house the son and daughter in maths and they graduated with degree in maths very young, but in the end the daughter rebelled and end up as a prostitute.... sibei jialat.... :TT_TT:

I always tell my child to try their best and dun cheat yourself, and everything that comes along will be good enuf.... in the end, they themselves will have to bear the results of their effort, no one else....

no point pushing pushing yet cannot achieve the perfect result.. not realistic.. good enuf , is good enuf for me....

In life, sometimes no need good academic results to get a living, some life skills are also alternate ways to earn a living wage....

spare the children of our (adult) expectations.. its their life right.... -_-

• Praise 3

Suicide is for the weak-minded...

bro, cannot say like that lah [smash]

different people react to stress differently [;)] Suicidal thoughts do not happen overnight, must have manifested over a period of time ....... then a trigger

• Praise 2

Turbocharged

if you want a fun place to learn english at 4, try British Council.

or watch every black adder series. consperm england dam powder

• Praise 2

RIP young child who did her best and RIP young mother who thought top grades meant a better life for her daughter.

And yes,grandma,be strong... You did what you could to persuade your daughter. Take care, you still have 2 other grandchildren to love.

And to the young father, hope you recover and let peace be restored to your grieving mind.

I am saddened to read this news. Please cherish your precious child/children. Love them far more than their grades. Yours did.

Life is short. Dun make it shorter.

• Praise 7

My daughter was like that too and I always advocate reverse psychology ie dragging her out for games, shows whatever so as to give her a break cos otherwise she would bury herself in studies and by her benchmark, she's not ready for exams which is no true at all (she's never ready in spite of the many hours she has put in!).

Inversely, my nephew had to be given a kick up the backside cos he's always into sports esp football and has no time for studies. He even got the cheek to tell me why my daughter has to be pulled out to play games whilst he does it voluntarily haha, the nerve of him to suggest this!

Anyway, when they were more matured, the boy realized his folly and worked much harder in Uni albeit had to go overseas. My daughter went into NUS and was much more balanced as her peers were able to juggle games, studies and community work well so she followed suit but I kept a close eye nevertheless which we parents have to do no matter how busy. Good luck to your son as not easy to juggle NS n studies simultaneously but when there's a will there's a way I always say!!

Thanks for the msg. boys and girls different in many aspects and studying and learning is one of them. Boys prefer to play and learn and girls.....its a mystery....hahaha!

Can see my boy really putting in a lot of effort in his pursuit even though he is now in a tough unit. I have discussed things with him and can see he is serious about life after army....he told his mum he wants to work overseas...