How some news papers see us

Neutrino

More like AMEP. Ang Mo Expat Package. [laugh]

actually he was talking about ang mo in-come and i read it ad in-cum......sorry....sorry...😂😂😂
↡ Advertisement

There is a reason we are ranked pretty poorly in press freedom internationally.

News outlets will report on matters according to their alignments and target audiences, which is something a lot of people in Singapore do not seem to realise. The Independent is listed as having a political alignment of liberal/radical centre, being centre-left on culture and politics but pro-market on economic issues. I'd love to see an article on the same subject by a hardcore left newspaper.

Basically, don't get your panties in a bunch just because a negative article about Singapore is published halfway across the world. It's not personal.

• Praise 1

Totally one sided and rubbish, imo.

We all know there are problems but if they are going to report stuff then ..

But that's never going to happen because then it's not 'news'.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/singapores-domestic-workers-routinely-exploited-and-often-abused-in-the-service-of-rich-nationals-10422589.html

I agree it is one sided reporting.

On the other hand are the maids from hell, who give loads of problems to their employers .

There are quite a number of cases of maids who commit murder, abuse and other criminal offences over the years. No mention of this in the article at all.

amtk mar....😂😂😂😂😂

Not about TK, more like angmohs are more likely to treat their domestic helpers as human beings and not just as "maids".

Most of the AMs that I know don't even refer to them as "maids", just "helpers". They find the term "maid" too demeaning to use and are often quite embarrassed that they even have domestic help, especially the ones who are new in Asia. A lot of these folks are just regular people who come from normal backgrounds in their home countries, where "maids" are only found in the posh mansions of the super-rich.

• Praise 2

My take on this is Singapore is over reliant on maids in the first place.

Seriously, why have we come to this stage that so many hundreds of thousands of maids are in this tiny country?

I just feel we need to go back to basics where we teach kids to do everything themselves rather than rely on outside help.

The only reasons why I think maids are needed, are for aged or disabled people at home needing to be looked after with special care.

Perhaps babies as well.

But when kids are able to go to school - surely they can be taught to do their own things and chores at home rather than needing a maid. It just spoils kids to have a servant.

Not about TK, more like angmohs are more likely to treat their domestic helpers as human beings and not just as "maids".

Most of the AMs that I know don't even refer to them as "maids", just "helpers". They find the term "maid" too demeaning to use and are often quite embarrassed that they even have domestic help, especially the ones who are new in Asia. A lot of these folks are just regular people who come from normal backgrounds in their home countries, where "maids" are only found in the posh mansions of the super-rich.

i am not suprised......some foreigners are suprised that 'maids' here are a norm! Back home it will cost a bomb to hire a 'helper'.....and i heard (dont know true or not) some western countries allow maids to be employed for a specific duty not those everything-also-they-do type of reponsibilities like we have here! My uncle employs three and they have specific duties which are separate from the rest! Maybe he is accustomed to western values....but he employs the 3 in SG to take care of his parents. Ang mo bosses are more likely to be more less demanding than an Asian boss.....at home and at work....😉😉😉

i am not suprised......some foreigners are suprised that 'maids' here are a norm! Back home it will cost a bomb to hire a 'helper'.....and i heard (dont know true or not) some western countries allow maids to be employed for a specific duty not those everything-also-they-do type of reponsibilities like we have here! My uncle employs three and they have specific duties which are separate from the rest! Maybe he is accustomed to western values....but he employs the 3 in SG to take care of his parents. Ang mo bosses are more likely to be more less demanding than an Asian boss.....at home and at work....😉😉😉

You uncle must be wealthy

Its actually the other way round.

Maids exploiting the employer......lol

One should go down Toa Payoh Garden on a sunday afternoon.

It is totally overwhelmed by maids & their bangala boyfriends.

Hardly the run-away depressed maids written in the articles

Aiyoh ! not only Toa Payoh , go ECP can see so many tents pop up (especially near the quieter SAFRA) side - major ASEAN meeting with Bangla as honourary chief patrons there- After 6pm - all singing " Sing your way home" our favourite Nasional Day song

My take on this is Singapore is over reliant on maids in the first place.

Seriously, why have we come to this stage that so many hundreds of thousands of maids are in this tiny country?

I just feel we need to go back to basics where we teach kids to do everything themselves rather than rely on outside help.

The only reasons why I think maids are needed, are for aged or disabled people at home needing to be looked after with special care.

Perhaps babies as well.

But when kids are able to go to school - surely they can be taught to do their own things and chores at home rather than needing a maid. It just spoils kids to have a servant.

f3abfcfb09cebd16abb16396c83a93f8.jpg

(edited)

You uncle must be wealthy

actually its my wife's uncle.....i saw the maids also i 😨😨😨😨...and he lives downunder with his Ang mo wife......the maids looks after his parents here in SG! His mother at 80+ also got secretary....i kid you not! Edited by Eviilusion

Supercharged

I had a colleague who had problem over the biscuit thingy. He was complaining that the maid was stealing their biscuit and their baby biscuit. Cant they see that the maid maybe having problems with the food she was eating daily. Kns......hubby and wife works but cant spare a thought for the maid until the maid had to resort to such method. Its only biscuits......not even jewelleries or cash!

I also have problem with my helper over food issue.

She's putting on alot weight since the day she join us, until she voluntarily controlling her own diet. :grin:

She's putting on alot weight since the day she join us, until she voluntarily controlling her own diet. :grin:

wah...u stuffing your maid for dinner har and she of course is the main dish.....😂😂😂😂😂....i am sure you are a good boss! Got give your made hamburger daily anot?😂😂😂

Supercharged

Totally one sided and rubbish, imo.

We all know there are problems but if they are going to report stuff then ..

But that's never going to happen because then it's not 'news'.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/singapores-domestic-workers-routinely-exploited-and-often-abused-in-the-service-of-rich-nationals-10422589.html

This one is UK newspaper?

my toes laughing. The damm brits were the ones who started the African slavery and Indian coolies not too long ago. And now they are crying for human rights to us?!

Recently i read something on the American Civil War, Confederates and Union. The damm brits were with the Confederates, fighting against anti-slavery campaign.

When we were still their colony, they were the ones who brought in the Indian coolies. I don't remember reading that they treated the coolies well. And the brits behaved v badly when they had India as their colony as well.

The Independent is a leftist newspaper.

Nothing unusual, typical article from a liberal.

Only focus on the "human rights" issue, ignoring the fact that these workers came here to feed their improverished families in Indonesia/myanmar/PH. And that they rather work here then be a domestic helper in their own country. Same shit but less pay.

Mine also same Scenario ... I don't stop her, so she eat like there's no tomorrow ...

Recently before going back to celebrate Hari Raya, she voluntarily control herself ...

Supercharged

wah...u stuffing your maid for dinner har and she of course is the main dish.........i am sure you are a good boss! Got give your made hamburger daily anot?

My theory of motivation is v simple. I follow the Maslow Theory

http://www.psych2go.net/on-the-power-of-food/

I never stop my helper from eating food. I made it clear to her that she can eat anything she wants from the fridge to the table. What we eat on the dining table, she gets to eat the same food. No such thing as "maid's cheaper rice, maid's smaller portion, maid's whatever"

And she doesn't eat leftovers. When she cooks the food for the family, she will seperate her own portion from the pan or wok and leave it aside, and serve the family portion to us. This is basic human respect.

How do we expect someone to give his/her best when he/she is hungry? Food and hunger is the most basic human need. Someone may not have money in the bank, but he needs his stomach to be full. Its very simple argument.

Just like in SAF. Soldiers need to be fed well so that they can fight with high morale.

And the proof is in the pudding. Every visitor who comes to my place and see how my helper works and takes care of the family, they know that i have a very good helper, motivated, genuine and hardworking and always with a smile.

My helper even used her own money to buy bread or other snacks for the family, she refused to take my money when i wanted to pay her. she knows she already getting more than she should be.

I always see other families' helpers, their face as black as charcoal with a vengence in her eyes. That tells alot about how the family treats her.

What's the extra cost of allowing helper to eat what she wants, compared to the motivation and the willingness to give her best to the family? Always remember that the helper is at your call 24 hours. She needs to be motivated to work for the family.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2