All New BMW 1 Series

ccsgl1900

One thing for sure is that Conti cars require more TLC than Jap makes, besides regular servicing also depends on if the car is parked under the Sun (rubber hardens etc), when buying a 2nd hand Bmw its best to buy near new (1/2 years old) or new unless you know the previous owner and he takes care of the car.

The E46 seems fairly reliable, I used to meet up members on BMW SG back in 04 and even the first time owners who had the car for about >5 yrs didn't mention any serious issues.

I know a friend with an E90, biggest issue he had was a broken air con compressor in its 9th year, but they had the car since day 1 and under sheltered parking

But at the end of the day these cars definitely needier compared to Japanese cars, can set aside 10K just for repairs if need be. Then again compared if I compare to my friends Italian stable of problems, 10K seems like a good deal lol

Bro, no point talking to him lah. He already make up his mind that BMW is crap.

Whatsapp me to lim kopi when u have time.

↡ Advertisement

Just on this,

Its hard to compare cars in Singapore if pricing comes to the factor (granted its a major factor), cause prices are factored then no need to say Korean cars will always win. Best to downplay the pricing factor but not too much of course.

With the below comparison I can only comment on two which I am more familiar with.

- MCS over Bmw 1 - A fairer comparison would be a BMW 2 series, a 1 series is more suited to someone who wants a hatchback with the need to occasionally give people a ride. It does not have the handling of a MCS but it has ride comfort (my previous ride was an MCS)

- WRX over BMW 3 - The WRX was designed as a rally car but the 3 series was designed as a luxury sports saloon, I drove an 06 wrx and the steering feel definitely lost out to my E46 (personal opinion), this may have changed somewhat. Also the WRX is more-so for the younger crowd you don't see many families crammed into a WRX for weekend trips but you do see more 3 series at shopping malls. Priorities differ and to be frank these two cars are really opposite ends designed for different purposes.

As for your experience with the E90 320 vs swift not really a fair comparison though, Swift is smaller definitely more maneuverable on corners and probably better compared against a MCS. As for the drive would you know if the E90 you drove have M sports suspension? One of the bugbears with Bmw is that to make it the ultimate driving machine really have to opt for M sport parts, otherwise the usual cruisy suspension is too soft for the more hardcore enthusiast. If you had a 1 series with an M sports suspension (or better yet and M performance suspension) I believe the drive would be so much more satisfying.

Haha... I have never considered BMW as a branded car, well, maybe I did, when I was 12. I wouldn't mind buying a Chery if it drives like a Ferrari.

If I have to choose:

- It will be MCS over BMW 1

- MX-5 over Z4

- WRX over the BMW 3

etc.

On the contrary, I am into driving but I find more pleasure driving my swift sports over the 320i. To be fair, this is a personal opinion for now and may change over time if I decide to choose to try a BMW again.

I always try to understand and feel what people say about rear wheel drive but unfortunately, I am not pro enough a driver to feel huge difference that every BMW drivers seem to declare proudly that a BMW is indeed a different breed.

Over time, I suspect this becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. Someone claimed that a particular chicken rice is expensive but super tasty. More people tried and said similar stuff. Perhaps the chicken rice is indeed nice, perhaps those who said the same thing wanted to fit in, perhaps of the time they spent queuing, they have to convince themselves it is indeed not too bad.

I would think that BMW is like a Honda for the well-to-do; A Merz is like a Toyota for them. That's probably why it never occurs to me that BMW/Merz are branded cars.

To help you understand better, my previous 4 cars were MX-5, Fiat Bravo T-jet, Astra GTC and Forester XT now. See, all budget or 'cold' branded cars.

• Praise 1

Deep down I think he wants a Bmw one day leh, just needs to swallow the bitter money pill like all of us lol

Lim kopi steady for sure, these days been busy. No time to post until I come home xianz,

Oct time should have more breathing space I'll chat u for a kopi session once the sai clears :D

I have never ever say BMW is crap. I am just saying it is not as "true blue driver" car as you seems to suggest.

It seems to you things are either awesome or crap, no in-betweens.

At least you talk sense and admit that some continent brands do need more TLC. Some people bought it knowing the problems, some bought it blindly.

I do understand that every brand has its own inherent problems. I am just saying for BMW, it is the rubbers and it eventually leads to oil leakage. It is no big deal if you are prepare for it. I was just warning the new owners who came from Jap makes that they should expect slightly different things with the BMW.

I remember your bro said that BMW is all about suspension which means that true blue BMW are only the M models so can I infer that all people who drive a non-M series cars are going for the badge for some strange weird reason?

One thing for sure is that Conti cars require more TLC than Jap makes, besides regular servicing also depends on if the car is parked under the Sun (rubber hardens etc), when buying a 2nd hand Bmw its best to buy near new (1/2 years old) or new unless you know the previous owner and he takes care of the car.

The E46 seems fairly reliable, I used to meet up members on BMW SG back in 04 and even the first time owners who had the car for about >5 yrs didn't mention any serious issues.

I know a friend with an E90, biggest issue he had was a broken air con compressor in its 9th year, but they had the car since day 1 and under sheltered parking

But at the end of the day these cars definitely needier compared to Japanese cars, can set aside 10K just for repairs if need be. Then again compared if I compare to my friends Italian stable of problems, 10K seems like a good deal lol

When I was comparing the cars below, I was focused on the driving experience since so many words were used to describe how if you hate BMW, you most likely have to belong to the totoya altis group and that there are no other reasonable priced car that can match the driving experience of a BM.

My point was BMW is not the only brand that produces drivers' car and there are other brands that make good, the same or even better cars that BMW at a lower or similar price bracket.

But your friend seem focused on winning the argument, by hook or by crook, rather than a proper discussion.

I think we have slightly different views for the comparisons but your explanation is fairer and more balance and I can accept it.

One question, out of curiosity, in your opinion, what would be a BMW car that will be comparable to a GTI Golf at about the similar price bracket or class?

Just on this,

Its hard to compare cars in Singapore if pricing comes to the factor (granted its a major factor), cause prices are factored then no need to say Korean cars will always win. Best to downplay the pricing factor but not too much of course.

With the below comparison I can only comment on two which I am more familiar with.

- MCS over Bmw 1 - A fairer comparison would be a BMW 2 series, a 1 series is more suited to someone who wants a hatchback with the need to occasionally give people a ride. It does not have the handling of a MCS but it has ride comfort (my previous ride was an MCS)

- WRX over BMW 3 - The WRX was designed as a rally car but the 3 series was designed as a luxury sports saloon, I drove an 06 wrx and the steering feel definitely lost out to my E46 (personal opinion), this may have changed somewhat. Also the WRX is more-so for the younger crowd you don't see many families crammed into a WRX for weekend trips but you do see more 3 series at shopping malls. Priorities differ and to be frank these two cars are really opposite ends designed for different purposes.

As for your experience with the E90 320 vs swift not really a fair comparison though, Swift is smaller definitely more maneuverable on corners and probably better compared against a MCS. As for the drive would you know if the E90 you drove have M sports suspension? One of the bugbears with Bmw is that to make it the ultimate driving machine really have to opt for M sport parts, otherwise the usual cruisy suspension is too soft for the more hardcore enthusiast. If you had a 1 series with an M sports suspension (or better yet and M performance suspension) I believe the drive would be so much more satisfying.

Edited by Pioneer

I have never ever say BMW is crap. I am just saying it is not as "true blue driver" car as you seems to suggest.

It seems to you things are either awesome or crap, no in-betweens.

For someone who can't differentiate between FWD, RWD & AWD to make a comment on whether a car is "true blue driver" car seems to be........................

Haha.. If you are more interested in personal attack than logic, which has been a consistent response to my post.

After all, car is just about rwd, fwd, awd and 4wd. Screw torque, bhp, steering feedback, etc.

You win! [laugh]

And by the way, I know the difference in theory but I do not feel a difference so significant in my daily driving that I cry every day for people who have to live with FWD or RWD while I get to drive a boxer engine with AWD.

For someone who can't differentiate between FWD, RWD & AWD to make a comment on whether a car is "true blue driver" car seems to be........................

Edited by Pioneer
  • Praise 1

Haha.. If you are more interested in personal attack than logic, which has been a consistent response to my post.

After all, car is just about rwd, fwd, awd and 4wd. Screw torque, bhp, steering feedback, etc.

You win! [laugh]

If you think it is personal attack, please report to moderator.

Looking at your past cars which is mostly TC, it seems to me you are more concern with power & torque.

That's only 1 part of the driving experience.

Appreciation of steering feedback, suspension, weight distribution & blah blah is a different. All this has an affect on how vehicles behaves.

BMW has always been about all this all along. Unfortunately, steering feedback is lost with the introduction of EPS.

If not, why do ///M3 beat C63 in track?

I had/have owned cars (E39 520, MRS & MCS) that is driver car despite lack of pwr or torque.

Mind you, i also mentioned before that owning BMW is a journey. Some ppl loves this journey (as evidence in that 7 series thread) despite the effort & time invoived.

And by the way, I know the difference in theory but I do not feel a difference so significant in my daily driving that I cry every day for people who have to live with FWD or RWD while I get to drive a boxer engine with AWD.

In our start/stop traffic, how to apply the theory you know?

That's why MCS was not used for commuting. It was for me to enjoy driving with open sunroof & enjoy cool breeze in the evening.

Haha if any previous Japanese car owners expect fuss free ownership that’s going to be a rude awakening, most of them should be prepared though. Often you see many question about potential issues in a Bmw and what to expect etc. Its hard to advise though, pending on previous owners etc and assuming the car wasn’t a lemon to begin with. Time to time I get messages from other members asking about these issues.

I do agree Bmw is the ultimate drivers car (note for luxury saloon class), if you took a similar series of saloons across makes with normal suspension i.e Teana, Q50, IS200, S4, C class, 3 series etc the drive feel & handling of the Bmw typically leads the pack. The only competitor is likely the new Jaguar XF whose drive feels constantly gets compared against the 3 series and they edge out due to some serious engineering to battle the 3 series (dbl wishbone suspension, all alu chasis etc). The driver car saying doesn’t stop there though, the orientation of the interior, cockpit feel, instrument panel, idrive is all designed and thought out for ease of use and driver interaction, the E90 was an exception though but they corrected it with the F30. (if they didn’t I seriously would not have bought one cause I was gutted at the E90 interior)

I brought M suspension up because I can sense you are not the kind to be satisfied by regular suspension, one cannot get away from an uncomfortable ride when riding on a sports suspension. 70% of the Bmw owners are happy with a car that provides great steering & decent handling, then there is the other 30% that want more and that’s the rationale behind the M sports parts. Beauty of the 3 series is that it’s designed with 50/50 weight distribution and by changing some parts you can turn a comfy family saloon into a cornering balanced machine and not many luxury saloons can attest to that.

Before my first Bmw I had a Lancer coupe and Mazda Astina, both were great cars, my first Bmw was a E46 3.18 M sports (PML clear stock give all goodies with the car) and the drive feel was amazing so far no other saloon car till date can give me that (including my current F30 328). I have to admit the previous models of Bmw were much better drivers cars steering wise (hydraulic vs electric steering). But the trade off is we get more boot space, more passenger room, more power, fuel economy, techy interior (HUD, Nav, Surround parking etc) and the electric steering feels pretty good once you get used to it lol.

There are other bits which makes Bmw the ultimate driving machine, adaptive suspension, adaptive steer etc you can refer to my post when I did my F30 review if you are interested its on the 3 series thread.

David’s a fanboy heh he has his views and I have mine but we have similar views on the brand and what it stands for. If you guys don’t see eye to eye I am afraid you have to take it up with him [laugh]

As for your questions unfortunately there is not like for like comparison for the Golf GTI, not the 116d for sure because the power isn’t an ideal match. If let’s say it’s a Golf GTI 3Dr I would probably 228i M sports? Incidentally I recently read a superb review of the 228 and its great handling, will post it up if I find it.

We can pick this up on thurs.

When I was comparing the cars below, I was focused on the driving experience since so many words were used to describe how if you hate BMW, you most likely have to belong to the totoya altis group and that there are no other reasonable priced car that can match the driving experience of a BM.

My point was BMW is not the only brand that produces drivers' car and there are other brands that make good, the same or even better cars that BMW at a lower or similar price bracket.

But your friend seem focused on winning the argument, by hook or by crook, rather than a proper discussion.

I think we have slightly different views for the comparisons but your explanation is fairer and more balance and I can accept it.

One question, out of curiosity, in your opinion, what would be a BMW car that will be comparable to a GTI Golf at about the similar price bracket or class?

Mind you, i also mentioned before that owning BMW is a journey. Some ppl loves this journey (as evidence in that 7 series thread) despite the effort & time invoived.

when i was younger and didn't give a damn about depreciation the journey was fking awesome. All the time spent at Boss and BVO was fun as hell. then I grew up :(((

Haze still open sunroof ah, hardcore leh u [laugh]

In our start/stop traffic, how to apply the theory you know?

That's why MCS was not used for commuting. It was for me to enjoy driving with open sunroof & enjoy cool breeze in the evening.

Got carried away in the debate, welcome to the club !! [bounce1]

35465671.jpg

Yup. that's why so excited. haa

• Praise 2

when i was younger and didn't give a damn about depreciation the journey was fking awesome. All the time spent at Boss and BVO was fun as hell. then I grew up :(((

Long time no see.

What's ur ride now?

Haze still open sunroof ah, hardcore leh u [laugh]

Got carried away in the debate, welcome to the club !! [bounce1]

35465671.jpg

Of course not now. It is the 11 haze free month.

Haha if any previous Japanese car owners expect fuss free ownership thats going to be a rude awakening, most of them should be prepared though. Often you see many question about potential issues in a Bmw and what to expect etc. Its hard to advise though, pending on previous owners etc and assuming the car wasnt a lemon to begin with. Time to time I get messages from other members asking about these issues.

I do agree Bmw is the ultimate drivers car (note for luxury saloon class), if you took a similar series of saloons across makes with normal suspension i.e Teana, Q50, IS200, S4, C class, 3 series etc the drive feel & handling of the Bmw typically leads the pack. The only competitor is likely the new Jaguar XF whose drive feels constantly gets compared against the 3 series and they edge out due to some serious engineering to battle the 3 series (dbl wishbone suspension, all alu chasis etc). The driver car saying doesnt stop there though, the orientation of the interior, cockpit feel, instrument panel, idrive is all designed and thought out for ease of use and driver interaction, the E90 was an exception though but they corrected it with the F30. (if they didnt I seriously would not have bought one cause I was gutted at the E90 interior)

I brought M suspension up because I can sense you are not the kind to be satisfied by regular suspension, one cannot get away from an uncomfortable ride when riding on a sports suspension. 70% of the Bmw owners are happy with a car that provides great steering & decent handling, then there is the other 30% that want more and thats the rationale behind the M sports parts. Beauty of the 3 series is that its designed with 50/50 weight distribution and by changing some parts you can turn a comfy family saloon into a cornering balanced machine and not many luxury saloons can attest to that.

Before my first Bmw I had a Lancer coupe and Mazda Astina, both were great cars, my first Bmw was a E46 3.18 M sports (PML clear stock give all goodies with the car) and the drive feel was amazing so far no other saloon car till date can give me that (including my current F30 328). I have to admit the previous models of Bmw were much better drivers cars steering wise (hydraulic vs electric steering). But the trade off is we get more boot space, more passenger room, more power, fuel economy, techy interior (HUD, Nav, Surround parking etc) and the electric steering feels pretty good once you get used to it lol.

There are other bits which makes Bmw the ultimate driving machine, adaptive suspension, adaptive steer etc you can refer to my post when I did my F30 review if you are interested its on the 3 series thread.

Davids a fanboy heh he has his views and I have mine but we have similar views on the brand and what it stands for. If you guys dont see eye to eye I am afraid you have to take it up with him [laugh]

As for your questions unfortunately there is not like for like comparison for the Golf GTI, not the 116d for sure because the power isnt an ideal match. If lets say its a Golf GTI 3Dr I would probably 228i M sports? Incidentally I recently read a superb review of the 228 and its great handling, will post it up if I find it.

We can pick this up on thurs.

Actually, F20/21 LCI got 125 which is comparable to Golf GTI. Somemore it is using the new B block. Maybe have to indent.

no ride. sniping coe but failing at it. Probably Korean hunk or Japanese cow...

OIC

Following Brobot moving Vezel?

Vezel is super attarctive esp with the low depre... but was thinking of future proofing with 7 seats. Either a Kia Sorento or Honda Odyssey.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1