All New BMW 1 Series

ccsgl1900

Good point, was thinking about the models currently available but 125i is a better match against the GTI, there are some video's between the 2 drag racing but so far lacking any proper review.

Would pruss u 5 but I need to make a round of thanks first :D

Actually, F20/21 LCI got 125 which is comparable to Golf GTI. Somemore it is using the new B block. Maybe have to indent.
OIC

Following Brobot moving Vezel?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Vezel is super attarctive esp with the low depre... but was thinking of future proofing with 7 seats. Either a Kia Sorento or Honda Odyssey.

Sorento seems to be more value for $$$.

I've owned quite a few jap and conti cars, and a Subaru was in the mix. Let me tell you about the Subaru...

For a 1.6L NA engine, power was bad, brakes were crap until I switched to aftermarket pads, pickup was crap, and FC was even more crap. I had a E90 320i, and it was doing better FC than the Impreza.

I had camber kits installed on the Impreza, and took it up to Sepang for track days with the BMW group... it was fun, but certainly not a great car on the track. In fact... it was pretty shitty. I let one guy whom was a pretty experienced guy at the track drive my car, and he said it was like a go kart... pedal to the floor all the farking way... and then when it comes into a corner, understeer understeer... trail brake and the car goes into snap oversteer.

The only thing good about the Subaru though, was that it was very reliable except for a leaking alternator and a broken valve of some sort at the power steering pump. Scrapped the car at the 10th year.

My E90 went into workshop for radiator leaks and coolant leaks. Surely not as reliable, but IMHO other Jap cars aren't trouble free either.

I had a Nissan Latio. Brand new from Tan Chong. Drove for 1.5 years, and the A/C kaput. Not compressor.. the freaking internal coils spoilt. Damn thing kaput while I was on a big traffic jam on the causeway INTO Malaysia during CNY. I spent the CNY in M'sia without A/C in my car. Replaced under warranty. No other issues and sold the car after 2.5 years.

I had a Mazda 2, which I replaced the AC compressor (normal wear and tear), front CV joints, rear wheel bearings, and had a CEL due to emissions for YEARS. I sold to a friend after replacing it with a VW Golf (more on that later). So right now, the Mazda 2 creeping up to its 9th year, gearbox kaput...

VW Golf, at the time I bought it, the infamous gearbox judder... had the dealer fix it, which he did... by means of software (did not get a new clutch). It's closing to 9 months of ownership, no issues yet (touch wood).

I'm also currently driving a diesel F10 520d, no trouble at all since day 1 except for a creaking driver's seat. To be fair, the Subaru was creaking all over the freaking place, so this is an improvement I guess? Had the car for 2 years, and I bought the car when it was 6 months old.

My dad has a Merc E230. No trouble so far. 2009 car. Bought 3 years ago.

My mum had a Volvo V50 2.4i.. drove 10 years till it scrapped last year and not a single engine issue. Only replaced A/C compressor and refurbished the front drive shaft CV joints, replaced rear wheel bearings. The car has been replaced by a 9 year old XC90 2.5T which we bought and had very loud tappet noises, but after several oil changes... no more noise and it so quiet on the road, even more quiet than the Merc.

I also have a Nissan March 1.0A, a 1996 reg'ed car... which went into the workshop maybe 4 times in the last 6 months for various issues... distributor failed, fuel pump failed, once was battery (ok wear and tear)...

So, which kid said conti not reliable again?

Edited by Detach8
  • Praise 1

You guys really knows the detail and so much specs on the car..... I almost lost the front part of reading 3 pages of postings.

I assuming a few things.

1. A BM drives better than Merz, most of the time so although it is problematic, he doesn't affect him much.

2. He may have more than 1 car or he doesn't need to be work on time daily.

I hope that BM is more reliable with the new models coz I really like the 1 series. Haha.. if it doesn't, I am sure you will be in MCF talking about it.

I am not sure if BM drives better than Mercs as I didn't go test drive the Mercs. I have also know some people who complains Mercs gave them hell of a problem and changed to BM, but have also complain BM has problem but when change to another new car is a BM also.

Just to recap, I drove a toyota 1.8l Rav4 for 5 years, sold it and got a Toyota Estima 2.4l for 6 years (which my wife was driving to work after I got the bm 116d) No major issues on both and the rav4 I only changed a fan belt after 4 years. Have no issues on A/C even after driving after 5~6 years. Still as cold as it initially are.

I would not say I don't expect my bm will not have issues down the years. But I also believe that, it is good to be aware of it, but one will only know if it is true until one experience it for oneself. I also know of people complaining that Nissan cars sure to have A/C no cold issues after few years but also have people still buy a new nissan after selling the old nissan.

One man's meat is another man's poison. Buy the car that you think you like it. Like I say, though I love my bm 116d, I still feel that a great car is Toyota. Why I didn't get the Toyota for the 3rd time?

1 - Low or most saloon version no longer made in Japan. The feel of car and in the car is like sitting in a hollow metal box. Probably price also cheaper.

2 - Used to like the Rav4 but it has gone in the elegance direction which I don't really like and their new series engine also kind of loud while standing on the outside.

3 - I also like the Harrier, but price is high at $150k and it was a petrol and that is only a 2.0l at that price which I felt will be under powered.

Infact, I am aiming for a diesel car and initially i wanted to get the Volvo V40 as recently seen quite a lot. But the SE gave me a feeling he simply don't need my order, and the rear seat leg room is also smart while I drive and I greatly don't like the door. Close like a heavy piece of metal. I didn't want to go for test drive. This Tuesday, I got a chance to sit in my colleague's V40 while going out for lunch. I am glad I didn't get the V40 as I don't really like the feel while the car was in the move, so noisy as well. And felt the car does not have power or torque when my colleague is moving out into the highway when he is trying to ramp the accelerator (116d felt more responsive and torque was better even when in Comfort mode only).

That's why I chose The One..

Lastly, I hope I was not longwinded and bored everyone with such a long post. Apology if I have caused anyone to puke..

• Praise 1

Maybe let me share some info about conti cars, or engines in general.

Why do modern engines hot? An uninformed moron will say "performance". Here's the truth... engines are running hotter these days because of emissions and fuel economy. It is known that hot engines run more efficiently. This is all because of the stupid emissions standards that they have to comply with.

If you compare my 1.6L NA Impreza and my 2.0L NA E90 320i, both vehicles are of the same weight (Subaru is heavy due to AWD), and both fuel economy are pretty much the same (~8km/l). It goes to show how much more efficient the BMW is -- larger engine, more performance, less fuel. Weight is one of the primary factor that affects fuel economy, and whenever somebody asks me if a car is going to be fuel efficient, the first question I ask is how heavy it weighs, and I tell the driver to not eat so much char kuay teow.

Why do the BMW parts break so easily? Part of the reason is because of stuff like water pump and parts of the radiator being made of plastic which is constantly under pressure and heat, and the hot cold hot cold expansion and contraction. It's only normal that such a material will break down over time. Why plastic? If you have a moron tell you it is to cut cost, please slap him and educate him... NO! It's because of weight reduction and recyclability.

Production cars nowadays are all about weight and fuel economy and emissions. All car manufacturers are making their cars bigger but lighter and more fuel efficient. Certainly something has to give. I am sure after more than two decades of incorporating plastic parts into their cars, the conti manufacturers know how to make plastics that do NOT break as easily.

So now, if you pop open the hood of modern Japanese or Korean cars you will also see similar plastic parts and the engine runs damn hot as well... as for how reliable it will be... I leave it to you to figure out in the next few years.

Now... diesel... the conti car manufacturers have pretty damn reliable diesel engines. And contrary to the popular hearsay, diesels run COOLER than petrol equivalent. It is more suitable for our hot climate. Don't believe? Ask taxi driver how often their Merc diesel cabs break down.

In fact, if you were to buy a french car like Renault, I would recommend you get a diesel.

Edited by Detach8
  • Praise 1

Hahah... in the same post, i quote "... surely not as reliable ..." about your E90. In your last sentence, you say " which kid say conti is not reliable?"

BM known for oil leak, VW famous for MU, Citroen, according to one guy in mcf is crap. In general, people has no trust in french cars. To be fair, the french cars is a hearsay and I am not sure about it myself.

I would like to think that volvo and merz are quite reliable make but again no real interest in this 2 brands so not sure.

Not defending any particular for that matter, subarus were often mentioned to be bullet proof in aus and us but I not a subaru fan boy so it doesnt matter if you feel it was crap. I would think the 1.6na impreza is crap in its drive too.

I've owned quite a few jap and conti cars, and a Subaru was in the mix. Let me tell you about the Subaru...

For a 1.6L NA engine, power was bad, brakes were crap until I switched to aftermarket pads, pickup was crap, and FC was even more crap. I had a E90 320i, and it was doing better FC than the Impreza.

I had camber kits installed on the Impreza, and took it up to Sepang for track days with the BMW group... it was fun, but certainly not a great car on the track. In fact... it was pretty shitty. I let one guy whom was a pretty experienced guy at the track drive my car, and he said it was like a go kart... pedal to the floor all the farking way... and then when it comes into a corner, understeer understeer... trail brake and the car goes into snap oversteer.

The only thing good about the Subaru though, was that it was very reliable except for a leaking alternator and a broken valve of some sort at the power steering pump. Scrapped the car at the 10th year.

My E90 went into workshop for radiator leaks and coolant leaks. Surely not as reliable, but IMHO other Jap cars aren't trouble free either.

I had a Nissan Latio. Brand new from Tan Chong. Drove for 1.5 years, and the A/C kaput. Not compressor.. the freaking internal coils spoilt. Damn thing kaput while I was on a big traffic jam on the causeway INTO Malaysia during CNY. I spent the CNY in M'sia without A/C in my car. Replaced under warranty. No other issues and sold the car after 2.5 years.

I had a Mazda 2, which I replaced the AC compressor (normal wear and tear), front CV joints, rear wheel bearings, and had a CEL due to emissions for YEARS. I sold to a friend after replacing it with a VW Golf (more on that later). So right now, the Mazda 2 creeping up to its 9th year, gearbox kaput...

VW Golf, at the time I bought it, the infamous gearbox judder... had the dealer fix it, which he did... by means of software (did not get a new clutch). It's closing to 9 months of ownership, no issues yet (touch wood).

I'm also currently driving a diesel F10 520d, no trouble at all since day 1 except for a creaking driver's seat. To be fair, the Subaru was creaking all over the freaking place, so this is an improvement I guess? Had the car for 2 years, and I bought the car when it was 6 months old.

My mum had a Volvo V50 2.4i.. drove 10 years till it scrapped last year and not a single engine issue. Only replaced A/C compressor and refurbished the front drive shaft CV joints, replaced rear wheel bearings. The car has been replaced by a 9 year old XC90 2.5T which we bought and had very loud tappet noises, but after several oil changes... no more noise and it so quiet on the road, even more quiet than the Merc.

I also have a Nissan March 1.0A, a 1996 reg'ed car... which went into the workshop maybe 4 times in the last 6 months for various issues... distributor failed, fuel pump failed, once was battery (ok wear and tear)...

• Praise 1

Haha... no insult rendered to anyone.

The 1 series definitely provide a better overall driving experience than the B&B toyota or any B&B models from any brand for that matter.

I went to volvo showroom before. Felt like a ninja, zoom in zoom out, no one seems to be bothered. Haha.... but to be fair, I went in to look look see see as I feel that volvo waterfall console design looks dated even with the new revision.

You guys really knows the detail and so much specs on the car..... I almost lost the front part of reading 3 pages of postings.

I am not sure if BM drives better than Mercs as I didn't go test drive the Mercs. I have also know some people who complains Mercs gave them hell of a problem and changed to BM, but have also complain BM has problem but when change to another new car is a BM also.

Just to recap, I drove a toyota 1.8l Rav4 for 5 years, sold it and got a Toyota Estima 2.4l for 6 years (which my wife was driving to work after I got the bm 116d) No major issues on both and the rav4 I only changed a fan belt after 4 years. Have no issues on A/C even after driving after 5~6 years. Still as cold as it initially are.

I would not say I don't expect my bm will not have issues down the years. But I also believe that, it is good to be aware of it, but one will only know if it is true until one experience it for oneself. I also know of people complaining that Nissan cars sure to have A/C no cold issues after few years but also have people still buy a new nissan after selling the old nissan.

One man's meat is another man's poison. Buy the car that you think you like it. Like I say, though I love my bm 116d, I still feel that a great car is Toyota. Why I didn't get the Toyota for the 3rd time?

1 - Low or most saloon version no longer made in Japan. The feel of car and in the car is like sitting in a hollow metal box. Probably price also cheaper.

2 - Used to like the Rav4 but it has gone in the elegance direction which I don't really like and their new series engine also kind of loud while standing on the outside.

3 - I also like the Harrier, but price is high at $150k and it was a petrol and that is only a 2.0l at that price which I felt will be under powered.

Infact, I am aiming for a diesel car and initially i wanted to get the Volvo V40 as recently seen quite a lot. But the SE gave me a feeling he simply don't need my order, and the rear seat leg room is also smart while I drive and I greatly don't like the door. Close like a heavy piece of metal. I didn't want to go for test drive. This Tuesday, I got a chance to sit in my colleague's V40 while going out for lunch. I am glad I didn't get the V40 as I don't really like the feel while the car was in the move, so noisy as well. And felt the car does not have power or torque when my colleague is moving out into the highway when he is trying to ramp the accelerator (116d felt more responsive and torque was better even when in Comfort mode only).

That's why I chose The One..

Lastly, I hope I was not longwinded and bored everyone with such a long post. Apology if I have caused anyone to puke..

• Praise 1

I always thought that the key reason for subaru cars is because of the AWD. I believe that is why many car brands would make 4wd as an optional feature. Of course weight matters, but the key difference should be that the engine is sending power to 4 wheels and to 2 wheels.

My limited science knowledge proposes that the leaks are usually cause by leaks at the joint seals which is rubber and rubber tends to harden under high temperature and seems the engine runs hotter and coupled with tropical climate like SG, the rubber is expected to break down faster.

I'm not too sure the word plastic and recyclability goes together unless you are talking about biodegradable plastics which will perform a lot worst than ABS, the same material used for lego bricks, under heat. For that matter, BMW is not the only brand that uses plastic extensively in parts you have mentioned in your post so any brand that runs the engine at high temperature should expect same rate of deterioration.

Maybe let me share some info about conti cars, or engines in general.

Why do modern engines hot? An uninformed moron will say "performance". Here's the truth... engines are running hotter these days because of emissions and fuel economy. It is known that hot engines run more efficiently. This is all because of the stupid emissions standards that they have to comply with.

If you compare my 1.6L NA Impreza and my 2.0L NA E90 320i, both vehicles are of the same weight (Subaru is heavy due to AWD), and both fuel economy are pretty much the same (~8km/l). It goes to show how much more efficient the BMW is -- larger engine, more performance, less fuel. Weight is one of the primary factor that affects fuel economy, and whenever somebody asks me if a car is going to be fuel efficient, the first question I ask is how heavy it weighs, and I tell the driver to not eat so much char kuay teow.

Why do the BMW parts break so easily? Part of the reason is because of stuff like water pump and parts of the radiator being made of plastic which is constantly under pressure and heat, and the hot cold hot cold expansion and contraction. It's only normal that such a material will break down over time. Why plastic? If you have a moron tell you it is to cut cost, please slap him and educate him... NO! It's because of weight reduction and recyclability.

Production cars nowadays are all about weight and fuel economy and emissions. All car manufacturers are making their cars bigger but lighter and more fuel efficient. Certainly something has to give. I am sure after more than two decades of incorporating plastic parts into their cars, the conti manufacturers know how to make plastics that do NOT break as easily.

So now, if you pop open the hood of modern Japanese or Korean cars you will also see similar plastic parts and the engine runs damn hot as well... as for how reliable it will be... I leave it to you to figure out in the next few years.

Now... diesel... the conti car manufacturers have pretty damn reliable diesel engines. And contrary to the popular hearsay, diesels run COOLER than petrol equivalent. It is more suitable for our hot climate. Don't believe? Ask taxi driver how often their Merc diesel cabs break down.

In fact, if you were to buy a french car like Renault, I would recommend you get a diesel.

I always thought that the key reason for subaru cars is because of the AWD. I believe that is why many car brands would make 4wd as an optional feature. Of course weight matters, but the key difference should be that the engine is sending power to 4 wheels and to 2 wheels.

My limited science knowledge proposes that the leaks are usually cause by leaks at the joint seals which is rubber and rubber tends to harden under high temperature and seems the engine runs hotter and coupled with tropical climate like SG, the rubber is expected to break down faster.

I'm not too sure the word plastic and recyclability goes together unless you are talking about biodegradable plastics which will perform a lot worst than ABS, the same material used for lego bricks, under heat. For that matter, BMW is not the only brand that uses plastic extensively in parts you have mentioned in your post so any brand that runs the engine at high temperature should expect same rate of deterioration.

How much more drag do you think a 4WD puts on to the drivetrain? The BMW also has a RWD which involves a drive shaft and a rear differential. I give you 10% more lor. even then, it still sucks in terms of FC. My Impreza is a front wheel biased AWD, and I think the split is to the tune of 80%F/20%R. In other countries, the Impreza is offered with FWD. They brought in AWD in Singapore as a sales... well... tactic. And I think a lot of Singaporeans kena bulls**tted by it. I would choose a FWD Subaru anytime in the name of FC. The basic models AWD are front-biased *anyway*. It does not improve driving dynamics and only adds weight and complexity. There's no reason to go AWD, except for if you have a WRX, then that's a different story.

AWD is meaningless in Singapore... we don't have snow. We have some ponding... I mean, rain, but that doesn't warrant the use of AWD for traction. Most conti cars have ESP these days that will handle traction in rain well enough.

BTW, not all seals are rubber... if that's what you are thinking.

BMW was early to the game in terms of advanced materials for engines. Even VW (Audi) were still using cast iron blocks back when BMW introduced magnesium alloys. There's a price to pay for being ahead of the pack...

Let me ask you... baby milk bottles made of what? And what do we do to sterilise them? Can plastics take heat... sure.

Haha... no insult rendered to anyone.

The 1 series definitely provide a better overall driving experience than the B&B toyota or any B&B models from any brand for that matter.

I went to volvo showroom before. Felt like a ninja, zoom in zoom out, no one seems to be bothered. Haha.... but to be fair, I went in to look look see see as I feel that volvo waterfall console design looks dated even with the new revision.

I actually like the floating console design. I think it was really nice in the old generation S40/V50. The way they slanted it towards the driver is not very nice now.

Hahah... in the same post, i quote "... surely not as reliable ..." about your E90. In your last sentence, you say " which kid say conti is not reliable?"

BM known for oil leak, VW famous for MU, Citroen, according to one guy in mcf is crap. In general, people has no trust in french cars. To be fair, the french cars is a hearsay and I am not sure about it myself.

I would like to think that volvo and merz are quite reliable make but again no real interest in this 2 brands so not sure.

Not defending any particular for that matter, subarus were often mentioned to be bullet proof in aus and us but I not a subaru fan boy so it doesnt matter if you feel it was crap. I would think the 1.6na impreza is crap in its drive too.

"Known for...", "hearsay"... why don't you buy one yourself and then you can tell us if it's for real or not ;)

I'm trying to say, every brand has pros and cons. It can also vary a lot depending on the model you bought within the brand. For example Mercs from 1998-2006 were pretty bad. Audis prior to 2000s were very bad also. In terms of reliability, BMW was the best in that era.

Those old cars like Lancer GLX... are using really ancient engines. If you put an old BMW cast iron engine block and 4AT into a modern car... sure damn reliable.. but you get shitty performance and economy lor.

Look at Jap cars... what transmission are they using? Still 4AT for some, while some moved on to CVT. Germans? Freaking 7 speed, 8 speed... even the Koreans have moved on to 6AT. At least Mazda is offering a 6AT now.

Edited by Detach8
  • Praise 3

Agreed! No car is trouble free. These days, the japanese has catched up with all those electronics component and others parts. Thus, just drive new car with 5 years warranty, if it offers.

And last, who said french car are the least reliable??

I am rather hesitant to believe plastic cannot retain its properties under 200 degree Celsius. Plastic is a very generic term because there are so many types of plastics available for use. As I have not used or learn anything about milk bottles, I have no idea what you were trying to say.

I work with 3D printers. ABS and PLA are 2 common raw materials. It takes about 220 degree Celsius to change abs into a molten state and about 200 degree Celsius for PLA which is basically biodegradable form of plastic. Vespel is a type of plastic used in automotive with a heat resistance of 290 degree Celsius.

It will be interesting if our engine bay can reach beyond or near to those temperature during operation.

Hahah.. Any design will also invite praises or critics, volvo included.

With regards to AWD not having purpose in SG because of the existence of ESP, would it be fair to say the rwd is equally meaningless?

There are 3 main type of learners, visual, audio and kinaesthetics. Human lives are too short to learn everything through experience. This is why people write books, make movies, share on social media platform, so that others can learn. As such, it is not resource-efficient to believe something is true only through personal experiences. Of course, the birth of statistic studies alleviate the need to go through everything personally to know.

For example, as survey on car reliability from google search:http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/best-cars/driver-power/64280/most-reliable-cars shows 9 (Jap + Korea) cars in the top 10 rank for reliability.

We can discuss until the cow comes home why the survey is flawed, biased, etc but the point is to show you that you do not need to go through everything personally to learn something new.

I agree that continent cars or BMW are more forward thinking and adventurous with technology and kudos to them and any brand that does the same thing but it doesn't immediately render them faultless when bad things happen because they are daring.

To end it off, actually, there is only one guy here that claimed that I proclaimed BMWs are crap which is not true.

I merely said the same thing before again and again. Every car make has it fair share of pros and cons and no one car make can claim total superiority over other brands.

This will be my last post in this thread, very tiring to repeat my words to different people that my intention is to warn the new owners that not all is warm and cosy. Fan boys taking defensive stands. [wave]

How much more drag do you think a 4WD puts on to the drivetrain? The BMW also has a RWD which involves a drive shaft and a rear differential. I give you 10% more lor. even then, it still sucks in terms of FC. My Impreza is a front wheel biased AWD, and I think the split is to the tune of 80%F/20%R. In other countries, the Impreza is offered with FWD. They brought in AWD in Singapore as a sales... well... tactic. And I think a lot of Singaporeans kena bulls**tted by it. I would choose a FWD Subaru anytime in the name of FC. The basic models AWD are front-biased *anyway*. It does not improve driving dynamics and only adds weight and complexity. There's no reason to go AWD, except for if you have a WRX, then that's a different story.

AWD is meaningless in Singapore... we don't have snow. We have some ponding... I mean, rain, but that doesn't warrant the use of AWD for traction. Most conti cars have ESP these days that will handle traction in rain well enough.

BTW, not all seals are rubber... if that's what you are thinking.

BMW was early to the game in terms of advanced materials for engines. Even VW (Audi) were still using cast iron blocks back when BMW introduced magnesium alloys. There's a price to pay for being ahead of the pack...

Let me ask you... baby milk bottles made of what? And what do we do to sterilise them? Can plastics take heat... sure.

I actually like the floating console design. I think it was really nice in the old generation S40/V50. The way they slanted it towards the driver is not very nice now.

"Known for...", "hearsay"... why don't you buy one yourself and then you can tell us if it's for real or not ;)

I'm trying to say, every brand has pros and cons. It can also vary a lot depending on the model you bought within the brand. For example Mercs from 1998-2006 were pretty bad. Audis prior to 2000s were very bad also. In terms of reliability, BMW was the best in that era.

Those old cars like Lancer GLX... are using really ancient engines. If you put an old BMW cast iron engine block and 4AT into a modern car... sure damn reliable.. but you get shitty performance and economy lor.

Look at Jap cars... what transmission are they using? Still 4AT for some, while some moved on to CVT. Germans? Freaking 7 speed, 8 speed... even the Koreans have moved on to 6AT. At least Mazda is offering a 6AT now.

Edited by Pioneer

I am rather hesitant to believe plastic cannot retain its properties under 200 degree Celsius. Plastic is a very generic term because there are so many types of plastics available for use. As I have not used or learn anything about milk bottles, I have no idea what you were trying to say.

I work with 3D printers. ABS and PLA are 2 common raw materials. It takes about 220 degree Celsius to change abs into a molten state and about 200 degree Celsius for PLA which is basically biodegradable form of plastic. Vespel is a type of plastic used in automotive with a heat resistance of 290 degree Celsius.

It will be interesting if our engine bay can reach beyond or near to those temperature during operation.

Hahah.. Any design will also invite praises or critics, volvo included.

With regards to AWD not having purpose in SG because of the existence of ESP, would it be fair to say the rwd is equally meaningless?

There are 3 main type of learners, visual, audio and kinaesthetics. Human lives are too short to learn everything through experience. This is why people write books, make movies, share on social media platform, so that others can learn. As such, it is not resource-efficient to believe something is true only through personal experiences. Of course, the birth of statistic studies alleviate the need to go through everything personally to know.

For example, as survey on car reliability from google search:http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/best-cars/driver-power/64280/most-reliable-cars shows 9 (Jap + Korea) cars in the top 10 rank for reliability.

We can discuss until the cow comes home why the survey is flawed, biased, etc but the point is to show you that you do not need to go through everything personally to learn something new.

I agree that continent cars or BMW are more forward thinking and adventurous with technology and kudos to them and any brand that does the same thing but it doesn't immediately render them faultless when bad things happen because they are daring.

To end it off, actually, there is only one guy here that claimed that I proclaimed BMWs are crap which is not true.

I merely said the same thing before again and again. Every car make has it fair share of pros and cons and no one car make can claim total superiority over other brands.

Plastics and durability.

Precisely, there are so many types of plastics. Do you know which ones can take the most temperature and stress? I do not... I am no expert in this matter. I believe it took BMW a while to figure that out too. Those plastics that you use in 3D printers will melt at 200 deg C, but it does not mean at 100-150 deg C they do not get soft or deform, especially under the intense heat and pressure of an engine. Maybe one day our radiators will be made with carbon-fiber-reinforced-plastics (CFRP) like the BMW i3/i8 and new 7 series. Who knows? BMW invested an entire plant into making CFRP. It is a commendable forward-thinking effort.

RWD, FWD, AWD... the never ending debate.

RWD cars are better set up for drivability and balance. Feeing up the front wheel gives it larger freedom of motion and allows engineers to better design the suspension around it. Most front engine, rear drive (F-R) cars are already front heavy with the engine, so moving some of the drivetrain to the rear balances the car's front-to-rear weight ratio. The drawback is that having a driveshaft and a rear drivetrain takes up space in the passenger compartment, which is why Japanese FWD hatchbacks are usually more spacious. FWD save space, money, and makes it easy to manufacture the car without having to bother how to get the drivetrain to the rear. It allows for very simplistic rear suspension design like the torsion beam found on most entry-level FWD cars.

AWD is neither of the two. It takes more space, more weight, more drivetrain losses, and more complexity both front AND rear. I could go on and on... but at this juncture, I have debated with enough Subaru or ex-Subaru owners that I think it is a highly subjective matter... as long as you believe in the AWD, it's fine. To me, the 1.6L NA Impreza GD's AWD is as good as useless here because the rear is still an open differential and it employs the same traction control that uses brakes as any other FWD or RWD car to keep a slipping wheel from slipping. The only benefit of having 4 wheels is that if you have one wheel that is stuck, you still have 3 others to keep you moving... and we don't need that here. No snow, no off-road.

The WRX, however, has a proper AWD system. That car is built for purpose, and I would say if you bought a WRX, you are not a typical car buyer, so it is extremely subjective and depends on what you bought the car for.

Reliability, maintenance, money and Char Kuey Teow

I think a lot of reliability boils down to maintenance and also how well the owners take care of their cars. Like you mentioned, some people spend all their money to buy an expensive car and then scrimp on their 3 meals. The car's maintenance would also likely suffer as a result. Oddly, I think BMW is a victim of such a demographics... the small business owners who want to "show off". There are also people with money but no idea how to care for a car, so they buy one, trash it, and then sell it after the warranty expires. My general observation is that Jap/Korean car owners show a little more care towards their cars.

Sure, you could argue that Jap cars are designed to take some beating by ignorant owners... so to each his own. If a car is merely a means of transport, by all means buy a Toyota Altis. But if you are more interested in driving, handling, and enjoying what the engineers at BMW have put together, then buy a BMW knowing that you may have to give it more care.

It's just like if you just need food, eat chye png. But if you really want good food, then you'll drive to a corner of Singapore just to have Char Kuey Teow. Will Char Kuey Teow make you lao sai? Maybe... but... for the 9 of 10 times that you didn't lao sai, it's worth it, right?

Edited by Detach8
  • Praise 1

Reliability, maintenance, money and Char Kuey Teow

I think a lot of reliability boils down to maintenance and also how well the owners take care of their cars. Like you mentioned, some people spend all their money to buy an expensive car and then scrimp on their 3 meals. The car's maintenance would also likely suffer as a result. Oddly, I think BMW is a victim of such a demographics... the small business owners who want to "show off". There are also people with money but no idea how to care for a car, so they buy one, trash it, and then sell it after the warranty expires. My general observation is that Jap/Korean car owners show a little more care towards their cars.

Sure, you could argue that Jap cars are designed to take some beating by ignorant owners... so to each his own. If a car is merely a means of transport, by all means buy a Toyota Altis. But if you are more interested in driving, handling, and enjoying what the engineers at BMW have put together, then buy a BMW knowing that you may have to give it more care.

It's just like if you just need food, eat chye png. But if you really want good food, then you'll drive to a corner of Singapore just to have Char Kuey Teow. Will Char Kuey Teow make you lao sai? Maybe... but... for the 9 of 10 times that you didn't lao sai, it's worth it, right?

exactly..I hope that my going in for 2 oil changes before the BMW recommended 12k ( ? ) servicing keeps the engine happy.That $400 spent gives me piece of mind and I do feel that the car drives better.

You can't judge a car's reliability without knowing how its been taken care of.obviously electronics are another matter.

Edited by shrjun
  • Praise 1

exactly..I hope that my going in for 2 oil changes before the BMW recommended 12k ( ? ) servicing keeps the engine happy.That $400 spent gives me piece of mind and I do feel that the car drives better.

You can't judge a car's reliability without knowing how its been taken care of.obviously electronics are another matter.

I give an example.

Over time the oil level sensor in the BMW engine would fail. People complain why the heck would BMW use a silly electronic oil level sensor and take away the oil dip stick?

The answer likely two reasons.

First, it could be for emissions. But I wonder how much harmful gases can escape a small dipstick tube.

Second, ask yourself -- how often do you check your engine oil level? Even as a car enthusiast myself... close to never. Maybe once every 6 months. If your engine is leaking, your oil could be gone in a month or two, and it would be a catastrophic disaster. At least having an oil level sensor telling you that the oil is low means that the engine now gets early intervention before a major failure.

So, before you complain about why a sensor fails, think of how many times it probably has saved your engine from blowing up.

Anyway I think we have derailed this thread. It's supposed to be about the 116d. Can we go back to talking about it?

Any owners collected their car? How does it feel after driving it?

↡ Advertisement