All New BMW 1 Series

ccsgl1900

My annual mileage is no more than 10,000 km. I was told diesel engine may be under utilised and not good for the engine. Any truth to this?

↡ Advertisement

Mercury1 > I did asked about the Reverse Camera too. As available stock does not have one, ofcourse the sales person said the car length is short enough to forgo that and with the Reverse Sensor is good enough. Hmm.

I am quite an ok person when come to Audio system, as long the speaker don't go "buffing" when ON slightly louder, that's is fine with me, my old Rav4 1.8 & current Estima also simply has stock speaker only. I guessed people like me that never own a beemer before, should feel good on the handling. Else will like what you said, no difference can just grab a normal car, why bother just for the famous 3 alphabet?? :)

Hamburger > I love your style "Bo Kia, Bo Hiu". I have no "dislike" over BMW. I liked the make of Toyota Japan made car "from Rav4 to Estima". I even told my colleague before I don't really like BMW unless is a X6.... (but off course X6 is way too expensive for me to buy). But when I saw the Series 1's 116d, I kind of like it as compared over Toyota Prius & Lexus CT Hybrid.... In fact, my "favourism" is more towards 116d, just that, got to make some comparison and outshine the 116d before deciding to buy ;)... Infant, till now the only "not so like" of the 116d is the rear seat leg space.....

Well.. likely I will be going down the alexander outlet for test drive tomorrow or probably even to make downpayment after that...;) will try give you guys some updates later of the day, if I go..

(I was telling my wife about me checking out online and stopping by this forum talking about 116d. She nag at me "if like it just buy loh, why need to check this, compare that. Furthermore, base on the price, it is still better to get the BMW as compared to some other car.....")

I have been shopping for car for almost 2 years, but the COE is too high and unaffordable. Intend to get a my ride when COE goes down in Feb 2015, but after Budget 2015, with the change in policy for CEVS, the price gone up again. :(

I have shortlist a few car:

1) Mercedes A180, B180 - Not bad in the term of fuel consumption and price.

2) Nissan Qashaqi 1.2T - Good car with ample space and price is resaonable plus it is make in UK.

3) Audi A1 - Promo price was $119 999 last month, test drive the car, good small car and very agile. The bad point too small, have problem alighting from the vehicle.

4) Audi A3 - Test drive the A3, good drive experience and lot of add on in the car, right size for family sedan. Can compare with Toyota Altis. In term of spec, Audi A3 is better.

5) Walk around Leng Kee, the Euro car look much better than Jap car, in term of price and function. My only concern is reliability just like most of the bro here.

6) BMW 1 series, come along recently and it is the only Cat A with PML. I think the car is just right not too small and not too big. A bit small for rear passagner

Finally, make a decision to get the BMW 1 series, got my COE already in Aug bidding. Car is in warehouse, but will collect in Sep, cause next week (Chinese) 7th month already. A bit superstitious, so delay till mid Sep 15 to collect. Trade in my Toyota Altis which left only 5 month to drive for a conti car. My thought, if Euro appreciate again, conti car will be out of reach, so grab the opportunity and buy. :))

Blueray, I did try to ask, Salesperson mentioned is around $25k and CEVs about $15k.

However, I felt that seems like BMW is trying to show the lowest price for $133800 after all this discount and Cevs rebate. Didn't seems want to review the exact numbers.

I searched online and found for the 116i(A) (under one drive.com) is about 24,390.

So I guessed if drive till 10years may left around (24-15) / 2 = around $5k left for car scraping?

its a bit more complicated these days cos of CEVS.

not sure about the tax structure for diesel cars though ...

assuming its the same whether petrol or diesel, ARF will be (am using $25k OMV for simplicity)

$20,000 + (1.4 x $5,000) - (0.5 x $15,000) = $19,500

PARF will be 0.5 x $19,500 = $9,750

in essence, 50% of the CEVS rebate is taken off your paper value too.

I have been shopping for car for almost 2 years, but the COE is too high and unaffordable. Intend to get a my ride when COE goes down in Feb 2015, but after Budget 2015, with the change in policy for CEVS, the price gone up again. :(

I have shortlist a few car:

1) Mercedes A180, B180 - Not bad in the term of fuel consumption and price.

2) Nissan Qashaqi 1.2T - Good car with ample space and price is resaonable plus it is make in UK.

3) Audi A1 - Promo price was $119 999 last month, test drive the car, good small car and very agile. The bad point too small, have problem alighting from the vehicle.

4) Audi A3 - Test drive the A3, good drive experience and lot of add on in the car, right size for family sedan. Can compare with Toyota Altis. In term of spec, Audi A3 is better.

5) Walk around Leng Kee, the Euro car look much better than Jap car, in term of price and function. My only concern is reliability just like most of the bro here.

6) BMW 1 series, come along recently and it is the only Cat A with PML. I think the car is just right not too small and not too big. A bit small for rear passagner

Finally, make a decision to get the BMW 1 series, got my COE already in Aug bidding. Car is in warehouse, but will collect in Sep, cause next week (Chinese) 7th month already. A bit superstitious, so delay till mid Sep 15 to collect. Trade in my Toyota Altis which left only 5 month to drive for a conti car. My thought, if Euro appreciate again, conti car will be out of reach, so grab the opportunity and buy. :))

congrats nonetheless...welcome to the roundel family.

Im sure it wun be your last. @steptronic say wan

congrats nonetheless...welcome to the roundel family.

Im sure it wun be your last. @steptronic say wan

:) Took a dive and buy. Life is short! Enjoy, put the worry tomorrow. Lol.

hmm seems all "poisons" is towards the "buy" ...:)

now making some calculation whether to get the loan or not. Am checking with salesperson what is not there id don't take the loan...

I was also thinking about Rear View Drive, 8 speed transmission, steptronic..... BMW... low Euro now... ;)...

Sales persons said stock for Black sapphire is low.. :( sales talk....

My annual mileage is no more than 10,000 km. I was told diesel engine may be under utilised and not good for the engine. Any truth to this?

Bump this. Any comments?

Welcome to the club. BMW never gives problem when you OWN it. Problems are always with our close buddies and close relatives BMWs.

• Praise 2

I thought this is for hybrid car, cause SE say for hybrid car must try often to charge up the battery. Did not hear this for diesel engine.

The Loan will give you a good discount (4K plus?), after taking it and getting the car you can if off immediately thus getting the discount and not paying the interest (least that's what BMW finance told me)

You can check my review on various options, although its a 3er options will roughly be the same

http://www.mycarforum.com/topic/2698767-all-about-bmw-3-series-all-generation/page-11?do=findComment&comment=5526258

If your gonna keep the car long, you should indent and choose the stuff you really want. Just watch their option pricing cause they sometimes anyhow whack one. If you just want some options here and there you can retrofit later at the cost of your warranty (pending how major the mod)

The bmw ZF8 speed is really sweet, now with this newer version I believe they tweaked the transmission to make it smoother.

hmm seems all "poisons" is towards the "buy" ...:)

now making some calculation whether to get the loan or not. Am checking with salesperson what is not there id don't take the loan...

I was also thinking about Rear View Drive, 8 speed transmission, steptronic..... BMW... low Euro now... ;)...

Sales persons said stock for Black sapphire is low.. :( sales talk....

Doubt it leh, did they say the rationale behind the reason cause doesn't sound logical

Bump this. Any comments?

The Loan will give you a good discount (4K plus?), after taking it and getting the car you can if off immediately thus getting the discount and not paying the interest (least that's what BMW finance told me)

You can check my review on various options, although its a 3er options will roughly be the same

http://www.mycarforum.com/topic/2698767-all-about-bmw-3-series-all-generation/page-11?do=findComment&comment=5526258

If your gonna keep the car long, you should indent and choose the stuff you really want. Just watch their option pricing cause they sometimes anyhow whack one. If you just want some options here and there you can retrofit later at the cost of your warranty (pending how major the mod)

Mercury1. I also think some discount will be taken out. But verbally check with SE said that if I didn't take loan, the free Service Package will not be given. So, I was just calculating which option will be best. Either get some freebie now, else no point letting them earn the interest which can go as high as about $6k if taking the min $60k loan for 5 years.

I am a rather easy going person, I drove my estima as stock as it is for near 5 years. so I guess with the given features, I should b contended as it will be my 1st BMW, if I buy.

• Praise 1

Mercury1. I also think some discount will be taken out. But verbally check with SE said that if I didn't take loan, the free Service Package will not be given. So, I was just calculating which option will be best. Either get some freebie now, else no point letting them earn the interest which can go as high as about $6k if taking the min $60k loan for 5 years.

I am a rather easy going person, I drove my estima as stock as it is for near 5 years. so I guess with the given features, I should b contended as it will be my 1st BMW, if I buy.

Can work your sums

If no take loan no 4k discount?

Take min loan min period maybe interest around $2k? Still below 4k discount..no luggi

No need go for max loan 60k max period 5yrs paying interest over 6k

Tmr might be your day to sign...👍

• Praise 4

Not really a steal.

I think Mini Cooper is in that price range with better spec

My point exactly. Guess my sarcasm can be more obvious. 😜

Okay, I googled and this is what I found. Problem with the Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF).

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/cars/article-2332107/Petrol-vs-diesel-cars-Drivers-warned-diesel-filter-trap.html

If you are looking to snap-up a diesel car, you will now struggle to buy one without a DPF unless you go for an older vehicle. Any diesel motor produced after 2008 should be fitted with a DPF.

But despite helping the environment, they appear to be causing many motorists a costly problem - especially those who are not driving long distances.

This has led to some motoring experts warning low mileage or mainly urban drivers that they should not to be tempted away from petrol cars by better diesel fuel economy figures.

Jon Quirk, head of editorial at autotrader.co.uk, says that customer feedback has revealed common problems with diesel cars that specifically spend more than two-thirds of their time in congested, urban areas.

He says: ‘DPFs have a self-cleansing process built into the software of the car, so after a long journey they are meant to regenerate and re-cleanse.

‘However, if the car spends a lot of time performing short journeys, the DPFs can become clogged because the regeneration process doesn't have time to initiate.

‘We’ve heard of numerous national patrols being regularly called out to service cars as a result of particulate filter warning lights illuminating, indicating a partial blockage of the filter, with short distance driving being a contributory factor.’

The AA, for example, says that it is regularly called out to deal with cars with the particulate filter light on - indicating a partial blockage of the filter. When buying a new or modern used diesel, car hunters must consider that DPFs are expensive to replace, with a typical repair bill costing in the region of £1,000-£3,000 on popular models.

• Praise 1

Rough calculation;

1 - 60k loan 5 yrs. 4k disc. Interest = $6840. Monthly pay = $1114. Total paid = $140640

2 - 60k loan 1 yrs. 4k disc. Interest = $1368. Monthly pay = $5114. Total paid = $135168

3 - 25.8k loan 1 yrs. 0k disc. Interest = $588.24. Monthly pay = $2199.02. Total paid = $138388.24

4 - 25.8k loan 1 yrs. 4k disc. Interest = $497.04. Monthly pay = $1858.09. Total paid = $134297.04

5 - 10k loan 1 yrs. 0k disc. Interest = $228. Monthly pay = $852.33. Total paid = $138028

6 - 0k loan 0 yrs. 0k disc. Interest = $0 . Monthly pay = $ . Total paid = $137800

In conclusion, package 2 is lowest car paid, but monthly of $5114 is kind of heavy. However, if package 4 managed to get 4k disc, also not bad. Just that he verbally mentioned if didn't take up min loan amount will not have the 3 years or 60km milage free Servicing.

Anyone know how much 1 time go for diesel car servicing?

I think Mini Cooper is in that price range with better spec

Davidtch, I am not sure about the detail spec of mini copper but saw from sgcarmart there is a mini cooper D going at 133300.

Though torque is about the same except for the 0~100km in 9.2s is faster than the 116d, but car dimension is a little smaller that the 116d. Also listed there is 6-speed and front wheel drive, wheel base is smaller and fuel tank also smaller.

For me to choose, I would still go for the 116d.

Davidtch, I am not sure about the detail spec of mini copper but saw from sgcarmart there is a mini cooper D going at 133300.

Though torque is about the same except for the 0~100km in 9.2s is faster than the 116d, but car dimension is a little smaller that the 116d. Also listed there is 6-speed and front wheel drive, wheel base is smaller and fuel tank also smaller.

For me to choose, I would still go for the 116d.

Well, u saw the wrong Mini Cooper. I am talking about F55 5 door.

Mini Cooper wheelbase is 123mm shorter.

What's wrong with 6 spd and FWD?

218 also has the same spec.

Bump this. Any comments?

With this kind of mileage, you will nvr breakeven diesel tax against saving from consumption.

I thought this is for hybrid car, cause SE say for hybrid car must try often to charge up the battery. Did not hear this for diesel engine.

Pardon me but this is the first time I hear such urban legend. Here are some facts the SE should be educated:

1. Driving and braking charges the battery.

2. Toyota and Lexus gives 10 years warranty on the battery.

3. Hybrid gives better mileage than diesel - 24KM/L (H) Vs 17KM/L (D)

4. Hybrids are quieter

5. PML also sells Hybrids too - Hybrid 5.

Edited by Herz22
↡ Advertisement