Car number retention

Dark_flan

Just to understand whether if my dad's car number plate can be transferred to my name?

Just ordered a new car and wanted to transfer to my new car.

The bidded number was bidded by me but the current car is registered to my dad as my insurance when I was in my early 20s is too high. Any advice on the procedures?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Just to understand whether if my dad's car number plate can be transferred to my name?

The bidded number was bidded by me but the current car is registered to my dad as my insurance when I was in my early 20s is too high. Any advice on the procedures?

I'm facing the exact same scenario (except that I'm late 20s) and the SE was unfortunately not helpful at all in this.

Was advised to look for a short term insurance, which would be pro-rated according to the number of days used, for as long as the old car was registered under my name (I'm intending to keep the period as short as possible). So far, all the insurance websites I went to only can compute periods of at least a year, falling short of which the software goes haywire.

Procedure wise I think there's no way to get around it... so the question is really a matter of the best short-term insurance deal. I'm still looking for one too.

• Praise 1

Just transfer the number to your new car. You need to pay 1.3k first as you are retaining the number from an existing car. When transferred to your new car, 1.2k will be refunded. A new number from the system will be generated for your dad's car. Number plate should belong to the vehicle owner, based on Form R03 provided at http://www.onemotoring.com.sg/publish/onemotoring/en/lta_information_guidelines/de_register_a_vehicle/retain_number.html

"*I / We ____________________________________(name) holder of *@NRIC / Passport / **ACRA No. / UEN ___________________________ being the registered owner of motor vehicle bearing the vehicle registration number__________________with engine number ________________________ and chassis number ________________________, wish to assign this registration number as indicated below:"

Just transfer the number to your new car. You need to pay 1.3k first as you are retaining the number from an existing car. When transferred to your new car, 1.2k will be refunded. A new number from the system will be generated for your dad's car. Number plate should belong to the vehicle owner, based on Form R03 provided at http://www.onemotoring.com.sg/publish/onemotoring/en/lta_information_guidelines/de_register_a_vehicle/retain_number.html

"*I / We ____________________________________(name) holder of *@NRIC / Passport / **ACRA No. / UEN ___________________________ being the registered owner of motor vehicle bearing the vehicle registration number__________________with engine number ________________________ and chassis number ________________________, wish to assign this registration number as indicated below:"

That won't work. You can only retain the number of a car that you already own.

That's why need a way to transfer the car ownership altogether.

I m confused

Do u wan to use the bidded number for ur new car or old car?

Edited by Ah_tee
  • Praise 1

If I understand you, the bidded no is with your old car which is under your father's name. The new car you got will be under your name.

The easiest way is to transfer the old car to your name first and then apply for number retention before registering your new car. It should cost you $11 for the transfer and $100 for the retention (pls double-check LTA website).

However note that you need to settle whatever outstanding loan before the transfer.

• Praise 1

Basically I'm the indirect owner of the existing ride under my dad's name. I also bidded a number for this existing ride.

Now I no choice bought another car under my name this time round as the COE does not allow me to keep my car beyond 10 yrs unless I pay which is not worthwhile to do so mainly loss of my PARF.

My sales rep help me check if there is any alternatives with the used car dealer which I traded in my car with. Perhaps talking with LTA to appeal to skip the insurance part is one way...

Still confused..

So u wan to trf ur dad old plate to ur new car ? Den the bidded plate ???

Presumebly u wan to do the above

1) u n ur dad go to lta.. trf the ownership to u (pay $11) and u retain number plate pay $1300)... a new no.plate will be issued

2) u then trf the ownership back to ur dad with the new plate (pay $11)

3) u used the retained number to reg ur new car (lta return u $1200)

For this kind of immediate transfer out n in case.. lta will not force u to buy insurance jus for 1 day

Basically I'm the indirect owner of the existing ride under my dad's name. I also bidded a number for this existing ride.

Now I no choice bought another car under my name this time round as the COE does not allow me to keep my car beyond 10 yrs unless I pay which is not worthwhile to do so mainly loss of my PARF.

My sales rep help me check if there is any alternatives with the used car dealer which I traded in my car with. Perhaps talking with LTA to appeal to skip the insurance part is one way...

• Praise 1

Still confused..

1) u n ur dad go to lta.. trf the ownership to u (pay $11) and u retain number plate pay $1300)... a new no.plate will be issued

For this kind of immediate transfer out n in case.. lta will not force u to buy insurance jus for 1 day

It should be now the old car is my bidded number plate under my dad's name as he is the registered owner.

I want to transfer this to my name this round to my upcoming new car registered under name.

Still confused..

If no need to buy insurance for the scenario above, then it's the best. I rephrase to make it clearer.

1. Transfer your dad's car to your name. Pay $11.

2. Retain the number plate. Pay $1300. New number plate will be issued to your dad's car.

3. Transfer the car back to your dad. Pay $11.

Now you have the number plate retained under your name. When you buy your new car, use the number plate. LTA will refund you $1200.

• Praise 1

does anyone know how temporary transfer works? i know when second hand car dealers take over a car, it is under temporary transfer. under this scheme is it possible to retain number plate?

Then the process is similar to wad i mentioned earlier

1) ur dad trf the car to u

2) u retained the number plate under ur name, a new plate will b assigned to the car

3) u trf the ownership back to ur dad

4) u used the retained number under ur name to reg ur new car

No need to buy insurance under ur name if above

It should be now the old car is my bidded number plate under my dad's name as he is the registered owner.

I want to transfer this to my name this round to my upcoming new car registered under name.

Then the process is similar to wad i mentioned earlier

1) ur dad trf the car to u

2) u retained the number plate under ur name, a new plate will b assigned to the car

3) u trf the ownership back to ur dad

4) u used the retained number under ur name to reg ur new car

No need to buy insurance under ur name if above...pls tell ur new car SE early if not u will lose ur $1300 once ur new car is reg with a new number

U shld retain the no.plate before u sell ur car

does anyone know how temporary transfer works? i know when second hand car dealers take over a car, it is under temporary transfer. under this scheme is it possible to retain number plate?

(edited)

LTA just responded me that can appeal only if the registered owner is of immediate relations then is possible, Of course must be immediate process which is fine since my existing ride is immediate handover with my new car.. Let see how its works out.

BTW when I signed the sales agreement stated that retention of number is TBC. So is being made known.

Edited by Dark_flan

LTA just responded me that can appeal only if the registered owner is of immediate relations then is possible, Of course must be immediate process which is fine since my existing ride is immediate handover with my new car.. Let see how its works out.

BTW when I signed the sales agreement stated that retention of number is TBC. So is being made known.

At least LTA replied you. I have been calling LTA and so far all the officers don't know what is going on. They just rattle off the rules about how number plate is non transferable, transaction fee is $11, etc.

At least LTA replied you. I have been calling LTA and so far all the officers don't know what is going on. They just rattle off the rules about how number plate is non transferable, transaction fee is $11, etc.

Ha, when I first call them is a CSO that does not understand so refer to relevant dept. The next day, the relevant staff called and said the same story as u said. So later they advise me to write an email to LTA. So they replied whereby I have officer in charge handling my case so see it goes from there with the supporting documents mentioned.

At least no need to physically go down to apply.

Update,

My appeal is successful and LTA is able to direct transfer the plate to my name without buying a 1 yr insurance to my existing car.

• Praise 3

Update,

My appeal is successful and LTA is able to direct transfer the plate to my name without buying a 1 yr insurance to my existing car.

Thanks for the info! How long did the whole process take altogether?

Thanks for the info! How long did the whole process take altogether?

Basically nothing much except have to go down to LTA to finalize the transfer with physical documents.

During the period of time before delivery, car can still be driven but bearing the new plate SKV series on old car and retained plate is taken out and registered to the new car. So no inconvenience at all. My dealer thought is full transfer and expect me to hand over immediately cause no insurance. LTA advise is only the plate not the car.

However I will still have to pay $1300/- first but they shall refund me $1200/- after the retention $100/- after which.

↡ Advertisement