ALL Escalator/Elevator/Excavator related accidents!

Little_prince

Supersonic

People taking lift even for one floor could be due to leg problem, cause some people cannot climb stairs de. This is why you can always see overhead bridge seldom have many people use de, esp those without lift. Lol.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

Hypersonic

As a result, people are becoming lazier......and fatter.

All the people promoting climb the stairs to work only look at cardiovascular health. HPB ask u to do this. 

They don't really care if u wear out your joints faster  [:p]

• Praise 1

Supersonic

As a result, people are becoming lazier......and fatter.

Some people really no choice but to rely on lift cause their legs really deter them from climbing lift. But for people with no problem on their leg, then really would make them becoming lazier and fatter liao.

Turbocharged

i only climb 1 storey usually. beyond that, i would take the lift.

i find that climbing up the stairs is ok but there is a lot more strain on knee and ankle if walking down the stairs. is that medically proven?

I'll still climb up or down stairs but I limit the climbing down to 6 floors if possible.

People taking lift even for one floor could be due to leg problem, cause some people cannot climb stairs de. This is why you can always see overhead bridge seldom have many people use de, esp those without lift. Lol.

Thank you thank you for being so understanding.

My wife and kids keep chiding me for being lazy dun want take stairs when we go out. I'm sure other people will also grumble if they see me waiting for lifts if crowded. Too bad I never wear a sign to say i got (minor) meniscus tear, so need their understanding  [laugh]

Talking of overhead bridge with lift... this was something that I was never aware of, until earlier this year when my girl overshot her bus stop on way home, and saw one then told us when she got home. I was like, huh, where got overhead bridge got lift one?? Then next time we went past, she showed me then i believed her...

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

My company occupy two floors in the building. Most of them take lift just to go one floor up or down. [:|] I always take the stairs.

this is again a big problem with our authorities. while they sing the green songs, they allow buildings to max their gross leasable area as such there is no provision for people to climb up/down stairs if they occupy more than 1 floors. older buildings have provision for stairs but today, they only have fire escape stair cases which are not for daily use.

Hypersonic

i find that climbing up the stairs is ok but there is a lot more strain on knee and ankle if walking down the stairs. is that medically proven?

I'll still climb up or down stairs but I limit the climbing down to 6 floors if possible.

yes.

U notice that most elderly go down the stairs sideways. It reduces the mechanical load on the knees. There's established bio-mechanics behind it according to my ortho surgeon friends.

I had some knee pain while in Seoul due to the large number of stair cases. Since my kids were young and take their time to go up the stairs anyway, sometimes i will walk like how the ahma and ahpek do on the staircases.

U can notice the difference straight away.

• Praise 2

Hypersonic
(edited)

if u want to get active, go walk or jog or swim or cycle. 

Stair climbing is really one of the silliest ways to get active. Go climb Bt Timah Hill or something also less stressful on your knees.

Edited by Lala81
  • Praise 1

Supersonic
(edited)

Thank you thank you for being so understanding.

My wife and kids keep chiding me for being lazy dun want take stairs when we go out. I'm sure other people will also grumble if they see me waiting for lifts if crowded. Too bad I never wear a sign to say i got (minor) meniscus tear, so need their understanding  [laugh]

Talking of overhead bridge with lift... this was something that I was never aware of, until earlier this year when my girl overshot her bus stop on way home, and saw one then told us when she got home. I was like, huh, where got overhead bridge got lift one?? Then next time we went past, she showed me then i believed her...

The authority has been installing lift at some overhead bridge if possible, so that people would not have any excuses not to use the overhead bridge. Lol.

if u want to get active, go walk or jog or swim or cycle. 

Stair climbing is really one of the silliest ways to get active. Go climb Bt Timah Hill or something also less stressful on your knees.

Actually climbing at bt timah also quite stressful on your knees, when some of the steps there are quite long and steep. People with knee cap and leg problem, even jogging or walking too much also no good. Think swimming is the best option for such condition. But too bad not everyone swim.

Edited by 13177

My company occupy two floors in the building. Most of them take lift just to go one floor up or down. [:|] I always take the stairs.

Tell the truth, you do more than just walk up the stairs in the stairwell.

[smile]

• Praise 3

Turbocharged

The key problem is the licensing authority farm out the responsibility to QP.  As long as got QP chop, they issue licence. collect money and wash their hands. 

QP reply on contractor. Just conduct random checks. dont sign no contract because they can always find another more willing QP to sign. 

people actually doing the maintenance are as cheap as they can find. contract calls for schedule, just put head count to meet contractual obligations. who supervise works? 

this chain has to change. not only for lift. and escalator.cheap labour is the key to all these problems 

you may be on to something.

growing up in hdb in the 80s, i recall seeing those local lift repairmen come and do maintenance job, the lift will be out for a day. they'll climb in and out, sit on top of the cabin, get all greasy. Then they make the lifts go up and down several times. These were fujitsu lifts iirc.

today when i visit hdb i don't think i see that level of work. Maybe the process has been engineered to be less labour intensive, rightfully. What i hope is that maintenance doesn't mean a checklist where the technician looks at blinking LEDs and sign-off like its just some circuit board when its a gravity-defying people transporter. I visited my in-laws recently and got a Sigma lift that jerked between floors. Imagine i visit say once a fortnight and experienced that. How frequent does that actually happen?

Turbocharged

This is where we have think totally out of the box. today we use the cheapest FT we can find. outsouce is a very powerful word. you will heard non core copentency works to farm out. then get the cheapest without core copentency hahaha

Hypersonic

My senior medic is in the lift business.

All lifts in HDB are china made. Or even if japanese brand, they are also the MIC ones.

Price only half of the european or MIJ ones.

Supersonic

My senior medic is in the lift business.

All lifts in HDB are china made. Or even if japanese brand, they are also the MIC ones.

Price only half of the european or MIJ ones.

Nowadays many things are made in china de. Actually sometimes it is not where the thing is made from, it is how the maintenance guy perform the task during servicing and how often is the servicing schedule. 

Hypersonic
(edited)

Nowadays many things are made in china de. Actually sometimes it is not where the thing is made from, it is how the maintenance guy perform the task during servicing and how often is the servicing schedule. 

yeah I'm just dispelling any myth that the HDB tender will allow other companies to offer MIJ or MIG products to compete.

According to him, he say they totally don't bother with this sector of the market, even the japanese branded MIC ones are still much more expensive. 

The cost difference is overwhelming. 

Edited by Lala81

Supersonic

I just have a closer look at my Sigma lift.

Seems like there may not be a overload sensor or warning anymore.

Just a plate that says 10 persons or 680kg.

Now it's self check, self weight. [:p]

If lift falls due to overload, it's your fault for not self-checking.

• Praise 2

Supersonic

How could they allow such important safety feature to be missing from the lift and yet approved for installation?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1