Chemical/Gas-like smell in car. Helps needed!

edenker

Hi. My car having a chemical/gas-like smell when entering the car before even start-up. This smells is worst during morning when first open car. Seems like no oil leak. Went to two workshop, they say most likely is cooling coil problem. Need to change the coil which cost quite ex. I abit not comvince as they only told me this solution by hearing my problem and smell. Cos i understand that for cooling coil, there's no way to check from exterior.

So wondering is there anybody else having the same problem before or isit due to others problem? Before i proceed to replace the cooling coil which i dunno whether isit the cause of the problem. And I hd just change a new conpressor and filter a mths ago.

Thanks.

↡ Advertisement

Might take a few days to week before the aircon is not cold. As a guild, if your car is more than 6-7yrs old, about time for the leak. Depends on luck. My dad car was 8years, mine 11years. Cost is at most 100plus for the coil. Replace in Malaysia to save cost.

Might take a few days to week before the aircon is not cold. As a guild, if your car is more than 6-7yrs old, about time for the leak. Depends on luck. My dad car was 8years, mine 11years. Cost is at most 100plus for the coil. Replace in Malaysia to save cost.

Google, any recommendated wrkshop in JB or SG to replace cooling coil. Had check with various wrkshop, all qoute $600 to $800 for the replacement.

A lot of workshops are rubbish lah. If aircon refrigerant is leaking, upon connecting the pressure gauge to the aircon hoses they will be able to see the pressure drop. If they dun even bother to do it and ask you to change this change that just leave w/o hesitation.

The pressure gauge looks something like this...

Compressor_Gauges728-DFs.jpg

Check your car's fuel lines too. The leak might come from the fuel lines.

Edited by Watwheels

Is your aircon still cold ? If yes, it's unlikely aircon problem

Check your engine coolant, is it still full ?

If it's empty or very low, there's a leak somewhere, and it can somehow give your "aircon" smell.

It depends on the leak, some are tiny leak which will take a while to discharge fully. Usually for cooling coil, leak starts where the u-joint is due to brazing/corrosion failure over years of usage. My problem also started with smell which linger for quite a while and blower only blow normal air.

Manifold will only tell if there are gas in the system, leak area need to do soap test or submerge water test on the parts. But usually due to high labour cost, workshop will recommended replacing(at least another few years of problem free). Even if leak is found, there is no guarantee other leak might surface later.

I replace the cooling coil on my own the other time. Only pay for the original parts(cooling coil,expansion valve and filter dryer, $180/-) and vaccum & recharge($30). But it depends on the vehicle design, some need to remove the dashboard, others only need to remove the glove compartment.

• Praise 1

It depends on the leak, some are tiny leak which will take a while to discharge fully. Usually for cooling coil, leak starts where the u-joint is due to brazing/corrosion failure over years of usage. My problem also started with smell which linger for quite a while and blower only blow normal air.

Manifold will only tell if there are gas in the system, leak area need to do soap test or submerge water test on the parts. But usually due to high labour cost, workshop will recommended replacing(at least another few years of problem free). Even if leak is found, there is no guarantee other leak might surface later.

I replace the cooling coil on my own the other time. Only pay for the original parts(cooling coil,expansion valve and filter dryer, $180/-) and vaccum & recharge($30). But it depends on the vehicle design, some need to remove the dashboard, others only need to remove the glove compartment.

Google, I driving Mitsubishi CPT. May I know where you buy all the original parts? I check out with Minghee but they told me they do not sell aircon parts. $600 to replace a cooling coil is quite ex as my car only left 2 years plus.

Is your aircon still cold ? If yes, it's unlikely aircon problem

Check your engine coolant, is it still full ?

If it's empty or very low, there's a leak somewhere, and it can somehow give your "aircon" smell.

Aircon still cold. Check engine coolant every week and no much consume. So i still not sure whether isit coil leak.

most likely air con leaking.

$600 is not just parts also includes labour as it could be a 3 to 4 hours job depending on car model. Some models need to remove dashboard as per one previous post

Google, I driving Mitsubishi CPT. May I know where you buy all the original parts? I check out with Minghee but they told me they do not sell aircon parts. $600 to replace a cooling coil is quite ex as my car only left 2 years plus.

Aircon still cold. Check engine coolant every week and no much consume. So i still not sure whether isit coil leak.

http://www.unicla.com.sg/products-services/automotive-air-conditioning/evaporator.html Is that your model below? You can call to check the price based on your car manufacture year. Find out the expansion valve and filter dryer cost as well for the model. Should be quite cheap for the parts.

Mine is Toyota, so for Mit, not really clear on the coil location.

Car mechanical problem is just like human body. Some time what happens that we feel pain in our stomach and we feel it's affect on our other parts also. Sometime our problem is of such nature that we can't able to judge where is the epicenter of the pain. Similar is the condition with car mechanical problem and many times it becomes difficult for the mechanic to catch the problem. Different mechanics have different views. So it will be better to get your vehicle checked from authorized dealer who are very well versed with each part of the vehicle machinery and certainly your problem will be solved.

↡ Advertisement