Thread to Show Crowd Situation at Car Show Room

Bkling

Volvo is a luxury brand . Dun go believing people who dun know their stuff .

Just look at the prices in other countries... consistently below the germans. Dont forget the true luxury brands aka porsche maserati etc are all moving downstream with mainstream offerings like suvs and mass market production lines

It is wannabe luxury not actual. main selling point is safety rating not trim.

Volvo isnt a luxury brand in most countries. Only carrotheadland aka Sg.

I do agree with u on this. Look at Volvo cars low OMV! The out going S60 T5 OMV is only $26k+/-. Similar to the base VW Passat or Skoda Octavia RS245.

Why pay soooo much for a car that actually cost so little?

• Praise 3

I do agree with u on this. Look at Volvo cars low OMV! The out going S60 T5 OMV is only $26k+/-. Similar to the base VW Passat or Skoda Octavia RS245.

Why pay soooo much for a car that actually cost so little?

Because volvo is a luxury brand and local buyers will pay a lot to buy it.

Because these people don't do their research properly and spend money wisely. Maybe cash too much liao. You can't stop them so let them be. 

Because volvo is a luxury brand and local buyers will pay a lot to buy it.

• Praise 1

How to use the word "Luxury" ??

If someone would say Lexus is the "Luxury" range of Toyota Family of cars, if worded this way in this sentence I can accept. Can u accept if worded this way ?? Can anyone accept???

Haha, maybe to word it propery, Volvo is a tier 2 "Budget Luxury Brand" :)

You think too much already. Just accept the fact that volvo is a luxury brand. So difficult?
  • Praise 1
  • Dislike 1

You think too much already. Just accept the fact that volvo is a luxury brand. So difficult?

It isn't. Just look at its low OMV! 

Compare it OMV with Merc or BMW u will see what i meant.

now mazda 3 also luxury, just look at the crazy pricing for astina hatchback and how the mazda branding is trying to go upscale towards luxury. wont be surprised if their b&b sedans like mazda 2/3 slowly die off in SG whereby some dealers like borneo already realised it aint gonna work especially in SG for the toyota brand. 

https://www.autonews.com/sales/mazdas-complicated-journey-premium

https://fortune.com/2019/03/28/mazda-goes-upscale-to-court-millennial-shoppers/

there is a reason why vios, once the top seller is dead in sg and they had to cut the price to 70k for it to even sell in sg. altis survived cause of the old school toyota altis branding that it is build like a tank and wont die, which is not wrong. 

Edited by ferrytales

now mazda 3 also luxury, just look at the crazy pricing for astina hatchback. 

i recall reading an article that mazda/tek has decided to target upstream markets so naturally price their car $$. i wanna see if they can still survive in SG with such a direction, some dealers like borneo already realised it won't work if they gonna price their vios/altis at sky high price. 

there is a reason why vios, once the top seller is dead in sg and they had to cut the price to 70k for it to even sell in sg. altis survive cause of the old school toyota altis branding that it is build like a tank and wont die, which is not wrong. 

BM got lower their car price? I find their altis and vios still quite ex le. Lol.

Not value for money?

What is OMV?

OMV stands for Open Market Value. OMV is assessed by the Singapore Customs, based on the price actually paid or payable for the goods when sold for export to the country of importation.

https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&ei=F2RaXeyZN9O89QPvxLbADQ&q=omv+meaning&oq=omv&gs_l=psy-ab.1.0.35i39j0i67l2j0j0i20i263j0l5.1771.2506..3543...1.0..0.56.210.4......0....1..gws-wiz.....10..0i131.kSFXzjO-40M

Buying a car with low OMV at a high price is value for money? 

I dun think so dude! 

• Praise 1

BM got lower their car price? I find their altis and vios still quite ex le. Lol.

got la, vios highest was 90+k even though coe was 30+k then. go into the BM showroom and the sales folks all like ai mai ai mai thinking that the toyota brand will sell on its own. vios selling at 90+k vs a skoda octavia selling at 90k, no one in the right mind will buy a vios for that kind of crazy pricing. 

no doubt toyota cars are built to last for ages but with such crappy marketing, there is a reason why kimchi is doing better. heck even skoda under vw is gaining traction though they just came back this year. 

What is OMV?

OMV stands for Open Market Value. OMV is assessed by the Singapore Customs, based on the price actually paid or payable for the goods when sold for export to the country of importation.

https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&ei=F2RaXeyZN9O89QPvxLbADQ&q=omv+meaning&oq=omv&gs_l=psy-ab.1.0.35i39j0i67l2j0j0i20i263j0l5.1771.2506..3543...1.0..0.56.210.4......0....1..gws-wiz.....10..0i131.kSFXzjO-40M

I dun think so dude!

Its also about the brand image. The brand itself commands premium pricing for the cars.

What is OMV?

OMV stands for Open Market Value. OMV is assessed by the Singapore Customs, based on the price actually paid or payable for the goods when sold for export to the country of importation.

I dun think so dude! 

this i support too, i always check out the LTA website for each AD's profit margin before deciding on the car I wanna buy. 

to pay for a car whereby AD earning anything above 30k to 40k profit per car sold is a joke. some people can still boast they get vip treatment such as pickup/drop off service, meals, luxury lounge blablah when they send their car in for servicing, like duh cause you paid for it!

then again for someone who doesn't think twice about paying anything above 150k for a car in SG, they are probably not that hard up for $$ anyway. 

profit margins for Audi/BMW/JAG/Mercs all minimum 40k and above. even mazda profit margin all above 20k, CX3 profit margin is 40k, what on earth! 

Edited by ferrytales
  • Praise 3

got la, vios highest was 90+k even though coe was 30+k then. go into the BM showroom and the sales folks all like ai mai ai mai thinking that the toyota brand will sell on its own. vios selling at 90+k vs a skoda octavia selling at 90k, no one in the right mind will buy a vios for that kind of crazy pricing. 

no doubt toyota cars are built to last for ages but with such crappy marketing, there is a reason why kimchi is doing better. heck even skoda under vw is gaining traction though they just came back this year. 

Looks like skoda is selling quite well? My colleague just change to a skoda recently. Anyway, i dont know the current toyota cars still built to last for ages or not? Although i agreed decade ago toyota cars really built to last de. People maybe rather buy kimchi and changed cars within 4-5 years rather than buy a toyota and drive for 10 years?

Looks like skoda is selling quite well? My colleague just change to a skoda recently. Anyway, i dont know the current toyota cars still built to last for ages or not? Although i agreed decade ago toyota cars really built to last de. People maybe rather buy kimchi and changed cars within 4-5 years rather than buy a toyota and drive for 10 years?

there was a period where the octavia was going for sub 90k but for the 1.0 turbo. for the specs and features, its one of the better conti cars and reliability for skoda is somewhat better as compared to entry level conti cars no doubt. Even the octavia 1.4 at sub 100k is pretty decent, whether its luxury or not.

i went to the showroom to take a look at it, although the shape looks like a mini skoda superb that gets squashed up but you get a huge boot that can fit 2 bodies + amazing interior space and finishing. 1.4 turbo + dsg = no horse run. was really tempted to get the skoda but i was worried for long term maintenance and I wasn't ready to sink too much $$ into a car here in SG. 

even though people will complain about the dsg reliability, that aside for sub 100k, will you buy an altis for close to 100k when you can buy a decent conti at the same price or even lesser? gotta say skoda is being smart with their pricing and in SG where bulk of the buyers are poor peasants who may/may not be stretching themselves to get a car for face just like how bulk stays in hdb, pricing is the most sensitive factor.  

Edited by ferrytales

this i support too, i always check out the LTA website for each AD's profit margin before deciding on the car I wanna buy. 

to pay for a car whereby AD earning anything above 30k to 40k profit per car sold is a joke. some people can still boast they get vip treatment such as pickup/drop off service, meals, luxury lounge blablah when they send their car in for servicing, like duh cause you paid for it!

Some ppl feel paying $40-50k to ADs makes the brand/car more 'premium'. Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way.  :D

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3