Thread to Show Crowd Situation at Car Show Room

Bkling

Not true, the price and cost information can be used as reference, but most people buy car do not really take into consideration about dealer margins, their considerations are brand, what they like to buy, features and the one price that they are paying for.

i guess pretty much across almost all products we buy.. we don really care or know the margin.. look at Cokes and Apple iPhone.. the margin is crazy! but hey we still buy like no tomorrow.. as they say YOLO

↡ Advertisement

just like how people prefer a certain brand but cant afford so end up buying the cheapest entry level car of that brand with a lack of features that even a b&b car has.

an example is buying audi a1 just because you want the 4 circles branding but the interior is absolutely pathetic or getting A3 vs getting Octavia 1.4. getting an entry level conti for the brand is probably the worse decision when you can get a "luxury" jap/kimchi at the same price or even lesser.

some people just dont realise that driving an entry level conti doesn't naturally upgrade your social status or give you an upgraded aura but deep down, people are just laughing and wondering what on earth are you thinking to spend so much...for an entry level conti.

You obviously do not own a conti car. You obviously canny afford the bmw, audi and mercedes. You postings reek of sour grapes?

wow how did u get the profit margin?

actually i heard a few ppl mention volvo omv is low.

But i always have the impression for the same category of cars (xc60 vs glc or v40 vs a class) , volvo usually is cheaper. So i think it balance off

but for sure volvo is never as popular as merc or bmw here

subaru omv are the worst of the lot. even their 5d impreza/xv have a lower omv than the avante. what on earth. 

15377011_0_640x640.jpg

Growing up, I always thought that this was the very definition of luxury

Growing up my bro and I ranked cars

From lowest to highest

Mini

Subaru

Fiat

Suzuki

Toyota

Nissan

Mazda

Honda

Mercedes

Volvo

BMW

This was in the early 1980s so no Korean car. The Suzukis were the 800cc type. The mini is the mr bean type not the ones you see today. My dad used to drive a fiat and it always spoilt.

How times have changed.

Dunno why we rank Toyota so low. Maybe cos of the toyota Corona used by the police so we were thinking must be cheap (police on budget).

Edited by Philipkee

just like how people prefer a certain brand but cant afford so end up buying the cheapest entry level car of that brand with a lack of features that even a b&b car has. 

an example is buying audi a1 just because you want the 4 circles branding but the interior is absolutely pathetic or getting A3 vs getting Octavia 1.4. getting an entry level conti for the brand is probably the worse decision when you can get a "luxury" jap/kimchi at the same price or even lesser. 

some people just dont realise that driving an entry level conti doesn't naturally upgrade your social status or give you an upgraded aura but deep down, people are just laughing and wondering what on earth are you thinking to spend so much...for an entry level conti. 

Don't need to be so judgemental or quick to jump to conclusion.

Doesn't mean the fella buy entry level conti confirm is badgewhore / trying to levitate his status / on high loan. 

Though I don't think people are laughing at car buyers of any segment. Only you are  [:)]

Don't need to be so judgemental or quick to jump to conclusion.

Doesn't mean the fella buy entry level conti confirm is badgewhore / trying to levitate his status / on high loan. 

Though I don't think people are laughing at car buyers of any segment. Only you are  [:)]

it was just an example and not jumping to any conclusion. my point was why would anyone pay so much more for the same car with a similar engine specs, if its not for the badge and branding then for what? definitely not for reliability right like what everyone claims about toyota. good example is why seat cars ain't selling well despite it being effectively a vw underneath but people are avoiding it cause of the brand. i cant really think of a valid reason other than for badge/branding if someone is buying the same car with the same engine specs but paying way much more than other competitors. same as why did you choose a vw polo over a seat ibiza. 

i have no qualms about you getting a vw polo cause its sensible and a perfectly fun/functional car to drive in the city with the high 200nm torque and there is a reason why the golf/polo are hot sellers in sg. competitive pricing + a car with decent power and space. 

there are not many similar cars within your polo segment with that kind of specs and space at that pricing. 

Edited by ferrytales

15377011_0_640x640.jpg

This brings back memories of the time when I wanted to eat this very much as a kid but could not afford.

However, I still cannot afford to eat now since I have put on a lot of weight...

• Praise 1

it was just an example and not jumping to any conclusion. a3 1.0 is a conti sedan at a crazy pricing with similar specs as your polo. my point was why would anyone pay so much more for the same car with a similar engine specs, if its not for the badge and branding then for what? definitely not for reliability right like what everyone claims about toyota. even the octavia 1.4 is selling at cheaper than a 1.0 audi a3. same for seat cars which are using the same engine but people aint buying it, why? cause of the seat brand. 

i cant really think of a valid reason other than for badge/branding if someone is buying the same car with the same engine specs but paying way much more than other competitors, will give it up if you can think of a valid reason?

i have no qualms about you getting a vw polo cause its sensible and a perfectly fun/functional car to drive in the city with the high 200nm torque and there is a reason why the golf/polo are hot sellers in sg. competitive pricing + a car with decent power and space.

there are not many similar cars within your polo segment with that kind of specs and space for that pricing. 

But the SEAT Ibiza is the same as the VW Polo MK6. Cheaper also but I didn't buy that. Because I don't like how it looks, minor diff in equipment list and risk factor since the brand is new here. 

Same with the Skoda Fabia.. but no longer offered here.

"So much more" for you or for me may not be the same for the fella buying A3 1.0T. 

Some people like a particular brand, the heritage or what it stands for, so a car purchase in this sense is emotional, not necessarily a sound or practical financial one. No right or wrong lah.

But the SEAT Ibiza is the same as the VW Polo MK6. Cheaper also but I didn't buy that. Because I don't like how it looks, minor diff in equipment list and risk factor since the brand is new here. 

Same with the Skoda Fabia.. but no longer offered here.

"So much more" for you or for me may not be the same for the fella buying A3 1.0T. 

Some people like a particular brand, the heritage or what it stands for, so a car purchase in this sense is emotional, not necessarily a sound or practical financial one. No right or wrong lah.

yup i agree seat ibiza looks crappy as compared to polo though its the same engine underneath. personally i would have taken polo over ibiza too and the price different aint significant either. 

on a side note, i believe vw will secure your coe this round, good luck man.

the action is beginning now with 800+ bids in out of 1000 with an hour to go!

Edited by ferrytales
  • Praise 1

yup i agree seat ibiza looks crappy as compared to polo though its the same engine underneath. personally i would have taken polo over ibiza too and the price different aint significant either. 

on a side note, i believe vw will secure your coe this round, good luck man.

the action is beginning now with 800+ bids in out of 1000 with an hour to go!

Hope so ^^

it was just an example and not jumping to any conclusion. my point was why would anyone pay so much more for the same car with a similar engine specs, if its not for the badge and branding then for what? definitely not for reliability right like what everyone claims about toyota. good example is why seat cars ain't selling well despite it being effectively a vw underneath but people are avoiding it cause of the brand. i cant really think of a valid reason other than for badge/branding if someone is buying the same car with the same engine specs but paying way much more than other competitors. same as why did you choose a vw polo over a seat ibiza. 

there are not many similar cars within your polo segment with that kind of specs and space at that pricing. 

maybe the owner like the looks of a1?

maybe polo looks boring, a1 is cuter?

i think we are not always sensible when buying car.

Is buying a lambo in singapore sensible? I dont think so.

15377011_0_640x640.jpg

It is.

Is so luxurious I have never eaten it.

:D

I saw YouTube video of Audi A1 and it says the 1 litre turbo car is very fun to drive.

So if no need for a big big car I think the A1 is a good choice.

• Praise 1

It is.

I saw YouTube video of Audi A1 and it says the 1 litre turbo car is very fun to drive.

New A1 will be nice...frm youtube looks good. Interior 5times winner ovee old a1

It is.

the older a1 is tiny and puny. 

I dont mean to stand on moral high ground.

Why do we care or try to justify what others buy. If they can afford well and good and if they cannot and in time need to return car then it is their problem why argue like as if you are the one buying the car.

Why question other people's reason for buying whatever car, if they want to be a badge whore then let it?

Ultimate, in anything you buy it must meet your expectation and bring whatever it expect for you. 

Why nobody question anybody why anybody is so stupid to be a Bentley? Road tax so high, maintenance so high, cannot any how park eg East Coast Park to piak piak, high depreciating value. Just because these people can afford so justify their absurd reasons to buy.

I think best to judge ourselves if we are buying because of a need, haolian factor, can afford, etc? I can never understand why we need to second guess and worse argue about other people's choice in buying car.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 14