What is your favorite engine type?

Gs_1984

32 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite engine type?

• Inline 3
    • Inline 4
    • Inline 5
    • Inline 6
    • V6
    • V8
    • V10
    • V12

I had the chance to experience quite a number of the above engines, namely the inline4, v6, v8 and v10.

My favorite type is the v10 as the rev builds up very fast. I had my fair share of v8 too but finds that rev builds up rather slowly. I wonder why v8 are the preferred engine configurations for both auto-journalists and car manufacturers.

What's your favorite? Please share your experience.

↡ Advertisement

I had the chance to experience quite a number of the above engines, namely the inline4, v6, v8 and v10.

My favorite type is the v10 as the rev builds up very fast. I had my fair share of v8 too but finds that rev builds up rather slowly. I wonder why v8 are the preferred engine configurations for both auto-journalists and car manufacturers.

What's your favorite? Please share your experience.

why don't have boxer type in your list? it's my favorite [thumbsup]

also don't have rotary type,

Turbocharged

I thought straight-six (inline-6) was the favorite of journalists

But imo I think in future I would also end up moving to 3-cyl

why don't have boxer type in your list? it's my favorite [thumbsup]

also don't have rotary type,

Isn't boxer a vee engine?

I didn't put in more engine type cos max number of options Liao.

Turbocharged

Isn't boxer a vee engine?

I didn't put in more engine type cos max number of options Liao.

Boxer is not really V. It's also called flat-engine.

It's like the V where the pistons/cylinders are horizontally opposed, but it takes the V even further and aligns the pistons flat, horizontally.

So the pistons are 180 degree angle from each other.

boxer-vs-v-engine.png

Boxer is on the left.

Compared to V engine I think the centre of gravity is lower and the engine has more inherent self-balance. But makes the engine wide rather than tall.

Edited by 7hm
  • Praise 5

Remember before voting folks: you must have driven all types of engines in multiple vehicles before you can come to a firm conclusion. But go ahead anyway, vote what you know. [:p]

Remember before voting folks: you must have driven all types of engines in multiple vehicles before you can come to a firm conclusion. But go ahead anyway, vote what you know. [:p]

Then maybe only the eccentric super rich or a valet can vote then.😩

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

Well,if got money/budget of course the more cylinders the better,V16 ..even better. [thumbsup]

Following that logic, it's time to vote for the W16/W24 [laugh]

Or even better, the X24!!

[jawdrop]

Turbocharged

If V8 revvings are not up to your mark , you are in a totally different league liao . I think more than 95% of people here have never driven anything more than 6 cylinders .

• Praise 1

Boxer is not really V. It's also called flat-engine.

It's like the V where the pistons/cylinders are horizontally opposed, but it takes the V even further and aligns the pistons flat, horizontally.

So the pistons are 180 degree angle from each other.

boxer-vs-v-engine.png

Boxer is on the left.

Compared to V engine I think the centre of gravity is lower and the engine has more inherent self-balance. But makes the engine wide rather than tall.

Very insightful. Learnt something new today.

If V8 revvings are not up to your mark , you are in a totally different league liao . I think more than 95% of people here have never driven anything more than 6 cylinders .

Perhaps the v8 I have driven are all force induced, thus rev builds up slower compared to NA engines? Or does more cylinders equate to faster revs?

So far, still driven mostly is IL4 engine, so, can't really say which is better... Gonna abstain from voting unless this Monday I zhong 6M toto and go test drive all the cars with different engines yeah.. =D

• Praise 1

Different engine got different characteristics lah. V8 usually got nice sound (if tuned properly). Straight six is known for smoothness and linear power delivery.

• Praise 1

Rented a Toyota Aurion at the Gold Coast a few months ago, I was impressed with the V6 3.5 litre engine.

Engine never have to go beyond 2000 rpm to accelerate, it is responsive and acceleration is a breeze

in both city and cross country driving.

• Praise 1

I only drove 4 cylinders :mellow:

Though i drove a porsche cayman (non S) before for my wedding, is that a inline 6?

Edited by Lala81
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1