2016 Hyundai Elantra / Avante

Hshs

Heard from reliable source that KMC is only bringing in 1.6cc Elantra, not sure will have any changes anot. 

S.I unit for capacity is 1600 cc or 1.6Litre.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Somehow, I don't feel a sense of reliability once mention the 7-speed Dual Clutch transmission which is fitted to the 1.4T. Between the 1.4T and the 1.6 (if Komoco is bringing this in instead), I would say the 1.6 is a safer bet due to a conventional auto and both engines horsepower are around the same (US site states 1.4T produces around 130bhp), just that 1.4T would be more interesting because it is turbo-charged, with 7-Speed DCT and of course a newer engine too.

I don't blame you for having some misgivings for the DCT, I would as well.

But few people in the know I spoke to mentioned that DCT got a few types and not all have issues.

The infamous wet DCT of VW is not the same as the Hyundai one I'm told but pls correct me if my source is wrong.

• Praise 3

I don't blame you for having some misgivings for the DCT, I would as well.

But few people in the know I spoke to mentioned that DCT got a few types and not all have issues.

The infamous wet DCT of VW is not the same as the Hyundai one I'm told but pls correct me if my source is wrong.

Yes, not all will encounter issues with DCT but to me, it feels like a hit or miss kind of encounter if one is to own a ride with DCT. Well VW wet DCT is not as problematic as the dry ones and it is source by a transmission maker. I am not sure about Hyundai's DCT whether wet or dry, but I believe is their in house engineering. Some overseas veloster's owner, where their ride is coupled with DCT do encounter some noise after putting some miles to the car. How many? I am not sure. I felt Hyundai's DCT is still young (maybe just 3 years old?) and this transmission needs a couple of years more to show out their flaws if any.

My mini sonata comments is not based on i40 lar. Its based on actual sonata. Current version n not even i45 version lar.

Liews..

The dashboard do take cues from sonata. Hence i say mini sonata

• Praise 1

Nice means nice, nvm used for taxi. Wasn't it the same for merc yrs back? In fact, using for taxi may imply that the model being less issues n perhaps easier to maintain.

Police car first use Avante, now use Elantra. What doesn't it show?

If still got someone said Korean car not reliable he/she must be still living in the past.

When I buy parts from autoparts distributors I saw is Make In Korean and not China or Thai I feel like worth every single cent.

• Praise 3

Why would they bring in 1.4T if it is placed under Cat B? It would not make biz sense. Just look at Cruze 1.4T under Cat B, majority will not consider to buy.

As what I read, the 1.4T engine is less than 130hp. But had high torque as what a turbo engine should be.

• Praise 1

Somehow, I don't feel a sense of reliability once mention the 7-speed Dual Clutch transmission which is fitted to the 1.4T. Between the 1.4T and the 1.6 (if Komoco is bringing this in instead), I would say the 1.6 is a safer bet due to a conventional auto and both engines horsepower are around the same (US site states 1.4T produces around 130bhp), just that 1.4T would be more interesting because it is turbo-charged, with 7-Speed DCT and of course a newer engine too.

You are right that both 1.4T and 1.6 offer similar horsepower but however, the torque figure are much higher in 1.4T. Its the torque that make the car feel powerful, so definitely the 1.4T will drive better. Only concern is its a new engine so might not be proven in term of reliability.

• Praise 2

You are right that both 1.4T and 1.6 offer similar horsepower but however, the torque figure are much higher in 1.4T. Its the torque that make the car feel powerful, so definitely the 1.4T will drive better. Only concern is its a new engine so might not be proven in term of reliability.

Yes. Torque is definitely much higher on the 1.4T.
  • Praise 2

If you look at the Korean-spec Avante, the 1.6 GDi has a power output of 130bhp which still fits Cat A which is surprising cause current Elantra uses a much less advanced MPi engine producing the same amount of power. So hopefully its the better GDi engine that is coming in even if the 1.4T isn't.

• Praise 2

If you look at the Korean-spec Avante, the 1.6 GDi has a power output of 130bhp which still fits Cat A which is surprising cause current Elantra uses a much less advanced MPi engine producing the same amount of power. So hopefully its the better GDi engine that is coming in even if the 1.4T isn't.

GDi engines have their own issues that require oil catch can to avoid, hence perhaps Komoco decided to change to the usual style MPi engine to avoid possible maintenance issues.

• Praise 1

GDi engines have their own issues that require oil catch can to avoid, hence perhaps Komoco decided to change to the usual style MPi engine to avoid possible maintenance issues.

The wait for the new elantra is exciting

For the cat A segment. I reckon this is the most anticipated bread n butter car...

Got looks. Got good history.... should have a better interior than the current. Should have good comfort too.

Will see how it looks n feel when the singapore specs elantra is avail.

I always rated elantra over altis since 2007. Hehe.... though current altis is a notch better now

• Praise 2

Unlikely that Komoco will be adventurous and bring in the 1.4T with dual clutch. These are expensive things and will drive the OMV higher and the car price cannot be competitive. But usually when a model is launched, it will come with every feature you can think of and this will drive the price up. And as time pass, the lower basic models will be brought in and everyone will think... ah, price drop... but in reality, you get what you pay for... there's no free lunch.

I'm looking forward to this car but I think Komoco will strip the car out and then install everything they can locally... they do it for every class of cars they sell... except the Genesis.

• Praise 1

Unlikely that Komoco will be adventurous and bring in the 1.4T with dual clutch. These are expensive things and will drive the OMV higher and the car price cannot be competitive. But usually when a model is launched, it will come with every feature you can think of and this will drive the price up. And as time pass, the lower basic models will be brought in and everyone will think... ah, price drop... but in reality, you get what you pay for... there's no free lunch.

I'm looking forward to this car but I think Komoco will strip the car out and then install everything they can locally... they do it for every class of cars they sell... except the Genesis.

I think another reason is spending money on training. If they bring in the new engine, Komoco have to send their workshop technical for servicing training. which can be add up their operation cost.

• Praise 1

I think another reason is spending money on training. If they bring in the new engine, Komoco have to send their workshop technical for servicing training. which can be add up their operation cost.

I don't think they are in control of this... cos if Hyundai decides to go all out with turbo engines, Komoco will still have to train their mechanics and technicians... so I feel it's more of the pricing issue with the cars. At the end of the day, Singaporeans are still extremely brand conscious (unlike maybe the ang mohs who are less brand conscious, not entirely bereft of it) and hence you can't get past that and if your car is not priced to sell, and mainstream favourites like the Corolla cut too close to your price point, you're going to have to suck thumb and watch the party across the street.

↡ Advertisement