2016 Hyundai Elantra / Avante

Hshs

After service le.. Will have this spoil, that spoil. Or not. Haha

Don't have to worry.

I have been using this type of servicing for all my past 4 new cars including present one.

So far so good.

In fact, some of them their oil is even better than those expensive one base on car smoothness,refinement.

Some of my friend due to cheap cost, they sevice every 5k but me due to cheapskate,i still service every 10k.lol....

↡ Advertisement

It's better,but not significantly.

Easier to repair due to design,but some owners here said that it is a little underpowered for its size.

Honda Civic R16B (2006)

Displacement 1597cc

SOHC

Compression ratio 10.7:1

Bore X stroke 81.0mm X 77.5mm

Power:123 bhp

Torque~151Nm @4300 rpm

Hyundai Gamma engine in Elantra (1.6,2010)

Displacement 1591cc

DOHC

Bore X stroke 77.0mm X85.4 mm

Compression ratio 10.5:1

Power 128bhp@6000rpm

Torque ~157 NM @4850 rpm

So technically speaking they are not quite far away,almost the same anyway.

Main gripe is light steering,otherwise better than city even.

Honestly,if you could,go for Elantra after July (all trims you fancy)

I suspect that it won't even have any surcharge at all.(probably a smokescreen)

Bro

Stats won't tell you how the car drives and how the engines performs on the road.

Having said that, the Elantra is priced at a better value point.

Actually, I do have a question about this.

Assuming good oil (Shell Helix) vs cheap oil (now cheapest I think is meta from giant).

Price

Good oil about $40

Oil filter +Gasket about $15

Labour cost about $40

Total also almost $100

Cheap oil about $20

Oil filter + Gasket about $15

Labour cost about $40

Total about $75.

But because you need to change at every 5K, wouldnât your cost be higher at 10k?

Correct me if I am wrong.

Disclaimer: price are from supermarket. Of course if you wish to go for 100+ oil, then that is different costing.

Just buy fully synthetic engine oil. And choose the cheapest lar... I use Carlube - only $30 per 5 L bottle... I service and change engine oil every 10,00) km. My cars no problem... don't need to service every 5000 km unless you drive in very extreme conditions...

Just buy fully synthetic engine oil. And choose the cheapest lar... I use Carlube - only $30 per 5 L bottle... I service and change engine oil every 10,00) km. My cars no problem... don't need to service every 5000 km unless you drive in very extreme conditions...

Extreme condition like how? Uber for 12 hours per day?
  • Praise 1

i used to go servicing in a pioneer place worshop for a $50 package. i asked the foreman if I need to get a more expensive package bcos I felt that $50 is too cheap but he said take $50 is good enough but he said no need if I m driving under normal conditions.

I would agreed that uber 12 hours a day is not normal driving conditions.

• Praise 1

Owners of Hyundai Elantra....appreciate your advice... is this car worth the buy?

I am actually eyeing elantra or Honda civic / jazz or i30. Thanks!

Ask yourself?

U prefer

Hatchback or sedan ?

Bhp? Range from 123bhp to 138bhp NA/turbo

Acceleration

Fastest - i30 / jazz (manual)

Auto/ manual

Jazz has manual option.

Country made

Japan / korea/ thai /europe

Airbag

Only elantra has 6 airbags, the rest only 2.

Price

Civic highest

For me. Personally I always prefer hatchback.

Either i30 / i30 wagon or jazz for me.

• Praise 1

i used to go servicing in a pioneer place worshop for a $50 package. i asked the foreman if I need to get a more expensive package bcos I felt that $50 is too cheap but he said take $50 is good enough but he said no need if I m driving under normal conditions.

I would agreed that uber 12 hours a day is not normal driving conditions.

What is the package or item being service in the $50 package?

Likely extreme conditions may need to cover more items due to the wear and tear

• Praise 1

Won't consider that extreme conditions... just high mileage... extreme conditions would driving under excessive loads like towing a trailer or driving uphill on low gears for extended periods or driving in super hot climates with ambient temperatures of 40-50°C... or a lot of gear changes to low gears or constantly revving the engine near the redline limit...

For Uber drivers the servicing schedule is just more frequent cos they clock 10,000 km much faster than any of us lor...

Refer your car manual for normal and extreme driving condition.

My jap car manual stated 15k for normal driving condition.

Don't know why agent here stated 10k need servicing.lol....

(edited)

Hmmm, i agree that all workshop will have to mark up slightly to make profit to survive.

However, in the market, i think between 10~50% mark up (or even up to 100%) maybe understandable. However, more than 200% mark up is a little too much don't you think?

as with all business... it all depends on your overheads and costs... a small workshop in remote industrial building location with low rental and one owner/mechanic can survive on much lower profit margins, so naturally their prices much lower too (just that you may need to sweat abit in stuffy workshop while waiting for the car to be serviced).

... whereas workshop in central area with aircon reception and waiting area with refreshments and lots of staff will need higher margins to pay for their overheads..

so it all depends on which you prefer to go for, at least now you can service at outside workshops and AD still have to cover warranty, so as consumers we have the choice.

Edited by Coolant
  • Praise 1

Hypersonic

If you use KMC's oil, it's going to cost you $99.50.

Buy your own engine oil when they are on offer (check Giant etc).

I bought a bottle during the recent sale $29.90 for Shell Helix Ultra (without the "I").

KMC won't charge you for using own oil. Just pay for the filters / gaskets from them.

Cost of servicing with oil from KMC: ~$107.00

Cost of servicing without oil from KMC: ~$13.00

The choice is yours.  [;)]

Edit: GPGT

Note: These pics were shared by others on the FB group. I haven't done my servicing yet.

if u have free servicing, that includes engine oil right?

if u have free servicing, that includes engine oil right?

My understanding is that there are 2 types. 1 is free labor (which is what I have), the other type includes free oil, but I have yet to see the "documentation" yet. Not sure what you have to produce to enjoy the free oil.

standard package including engine oil n 12 point check. last time even have goodies bag. have aircon wating lounge with massage chairs and free soft drinks which u can see them service car.  

• Praise 1

My understanding is that there are 2 types. 1 is free labor (which is what I have), the other type includes free oil, but I have yet to see the "documentation" yet. Not sure what you have to produce to enjoy the free oil.

There is a form (with coupons printed) that my SE gave.. suppose to show to workshop at all the free servicing so that no need to pay for labour and oil.

↡ Advertisement