2016 Hyundai Elantra / Avante

Hshs

Hi, in the mist of discussing on gear ratio, can I ask if there is 'live' cabin temperature display for s trim?

I can only only see outside temperature.

↡ Advertisement

For the engine brake at 50km/h issue, I do experience it too.

However, I experienced a bigger jerk at around ~21km/h if you let go of the accelerator.

Not sure if this is related to the engine brake or it's just that the engine has not warmed up.

Normally only experience this in a car park when manoeuvring out.

I have this problem too. Going up MSCP slope.

Just did a quick read on Lemon Law, if your brand new car was collected within 6 months ago and you experience this issue, please inform KMC to rectify. They are legally obligated to rectify it and not say "it's normal". If they do say that, please get it down in writing.

If it has been more than 6 months, you will have to prove that this defect existed at the point of purchase. In my opinion, no problem to proof as new owners are coming out to highlight this issue.

I assume KMC is reading this, and expect them to take us seriously.

2 school of views here.

Some think it's minor.

Some cannot take it.

What if it becomes a major jerk after warranty period?

I find it nothing major.

just the ride tuned not refine.

Just did a quick read on Lemon Law, if your brand new car was collected within 6 months ago and you experience this issue, please inform KMC to rectify. They are legally obligated to rectify it and not say "it's normal". If they do say that, please get it down in writing.

If it has been more than 6 months, you will have to prove that this defect existed at the point of purchase. In my opinion, no problem to proof as new owners are coming out to highlight this issue.

I assume KMC is reading this, and expect them to take us seriously.

You still dun get it? Kmc already told owners, who are mcf members here, that it's normal. What more you want them to rectify?

You still dun get it? Kmc already told owners, who are mcf members here, that it's normal. What more you want them to rectify?

I apologize for not getting it.

I will get it when they put it down in writing that it is normal.

You still dun know how car agent works . Anyway i admire your perseverance.

I only know how the law works. If they can put it down in writing, i will feel assured. It's just that I've seen many legal cases that it's your words against mine unless I have it down in writing. Assuming years have past, I can't possibly say the Hyundai workshop technician said it's normal, but have nothing to prove, right?
  • Praise 1
  • Dislike 1

I only know how the law works. If they can put it down in writing, i will feel assured. It's just that I've seen many legal cases that it's your words against mine unless I have it down in writing. Assuming years have past, I can't possibly say the Hyundai workshop technician said it's normal, but have nothing to prove, right?

How are you going to achieve the black and white writing from kmc?

Do you mean like when Toyota finally admitted that the sudden acceleration issue was known years before the issue blew up?

I am a would-be Hyundai Elantra owner, and I do not wish for this minor "jerk" to cause unnecessary strain on the transmission, which may end up like the VW notorious transmission issue.

I am no engineer, and I would greatly appreciate Hyundai/KMC's engineer coming out to guarantee that this will not cause engine/gearbox/transmission failure, at least not before my 10-year COE expires. It's hard-earned money that I put down here.

I did not buy an Auto car to experience a Manual Transmission gear-ratio/engine brake/whatever you call it.

Do not be so pessimistic, is what i can advice you. Do not compare this slight jerk when decelerating with something on diffdrent level to strike fear. That sudden acceleration obviously was a safety issue, while this is obvilusly not. If you feeling so strongly about it, please rush down to KM showroom/workshop to demand an answer asap! Talking angrily in the forum sill not help to solve it at all.

First of all, this charactetistics should be present in the test-drive car so it is solely your fault not detecting it before signing on dotted line. I frankly do mot think lemon law will cover it because of what i just commented.

Secondly some knowledge no need engineer to understand. When face with an issue, how you react will decide your experience. If you are already so bitter even before finding out the root cause, i am sure you will not have a good time with it.

Anyway, i am still not ready to condemn it just because of this small jerk that a reasonably knowlegeable motorist should know. I have owned a brand new Touran for 3 years so i should know the experience of having a problem car, and this does not look like it preliminarily ftom the initial symptom.

Anyway, good luck. I do not think it worthwhile to try to offer any logical support when some are already just keen to see blood.

Hi, in the mist of discussing on gear ratio, can I ask if there is 'live' cabin temperature display for s trim?

I can only only see outside temperature.

Nope.....Only elite trim with the dual aircon zone.......S n basic u wont have the aircon temp display

I apologize for not getting it.

I will get it when they put it down in writing that it is normal.

Actually simple. Don't buy.

They are not begging u.

Why do so many feel that their 20k (kmc margin) is big F?

• Praise 3

So funny an engine braking only can have so many pages of discussions. Think many are 1st time driver or car owner.

There is smooth engine brake and 'not so smooth' engine brake.

This is forum for open sharing and discussion, if got many pages mean there is interest in this discussion, be it 1st time owner or 'old' owner

This topic will die off if many are not bothered by it.

Sharing is caring, for a healthy discussion :)

Edited by Simpleonly
  • Praise 1

So funny an engine braking only can have so many pages of discussions. Think many are 1st time driver or car owner.

its even funnier that discussing on engine braking means we are 1st time driver or car owner? lol

do you even own elantra? 

Hi, I do not intend to strike fear. I have a legitimate concern about this engine brake, and it seems there are people brushing this off.

I do not wish for this engine brake to have the opportunity to become an emergency brake when I am driving on the road; cannot imagine how dangerous that would be for all motorists. The lemon law will not exist if it is solely the buyer's fault for not detecting it before signing on the dotted line. Thank you for sharing your honest opinion on what the lemon law will cover.

The reason why I am asking here, is to help current and future owners make a better-informed decision, and it might just help me find the root cause when KMC come out with an official statement. Please do not mistake my intention as being bitter, when I am just trying to seek out the root cause and appropriate solution to this, if this is at all, a problem.

Please do not throw shade that I am out to see blood. Maybe I come off too abrasive, I apologize.

The objective is to clarify the doubts that I, and other elantra owners have.

Do not be so pessimistic, is what i can advice you. Do not compare this slight jerk when decelerating with something on diffdrent level to strike fear. That sudden acceleration obviously was a safety issue, while this is obvilusly not. If you feeling so strongly about it, please rush down to KM showroom/workshop to demand an answer asap! Talking angrily in the forum sill not help to solve it at all.

First of all, this charactetistics should be present in the test-drive car so it is solely your fault not detecting it before signing on dotted line. I frankly do mot think lemon law will cover it because of what i just commented.

Secondly some knowledge no need engineer to understand. When face with an issue, how you react will decide your experience. If you are already so bitter even before finding out the root cause, i am sure you will not have a good time with it.

Anyway, i am still not ready to condemn it just because of this small jerk that a reasonably knowlegeable motorist should know. I have owned a brand new Touran for 3 years so i should know the experience of having a problem car, and this does not look like it preliminarily ftom the initial symptom.

Anyway, good luck. I do not think it worthwhile to try to offer any logical support when some are already just keen to see blood.

You are absolutely right. I may have made a better-informed decision if I was, firstly, informed of this.

That is why perceived misrepresentation is not a small issue.

Nobody cares about their profit margin because it is transparent to buyers, and people do not buy cars with the least profit margin, or the most profit margin. Not sure why would that even be a consideration for you. 

Actually simple. Don't buy.

They are not begging u.

Why do so many feel that their 20k (kmc margin) is big F?

If my concerns are unfounded, surely I would be the only one. And surely, KMC will not hesitate to allay my concern.

However, I am apparently not the only one concerned about this, therefore I believe it would only do KMC good to address it soon.

My SE have investigated the "engine brake" and I quote:

"At 50kmh the rpm was a low 1100 and if the gearbox did not ship down resulting in a higher rpm... The engine may stall... U can see that the moment the speed touch 50kmh the rpm suddenly goes up by 200rpm or son. This is because it has shifted to a lower gear. Possibly from 4th to 3rd. As a result of the torque differential there is bit of torque surge. This is normal. The Elantra is noticeable at 50kmh because at exactly that speed under the condition of lifting off the accelerator without pressing the brake, the gearbox downshift. Of course if u dun step acceleration it down gear it’s normal. U accelerate u won’t feel it".

Addressing concerns promptly is good for business. 

Edited by DouglasKwok
  • Praise 1

Hate the engine brake/pull as well. And the front seats should be full leather including the back of the seat. Hate the plastic at the back of the front seats. Look like turtle.

We should send our "reviews" on MCF new car review to let Hyundai do something to it.

That is good idea. give your honest reviews abt the 50km/h engine brake. If  4 - 5 members (Elantra & Sonata) write abt the same issue this will carry weight, better than tell SE, only to reply it is normal; this is also the current way of feedback. Not that you want to harm Hyundai/KMC but for their improvement and also other bro to watch out for this hard engine brake during test drives. Some may like it you know. 

↡ Advertisement