2016 Hyundai Elantra / Avante

Hshs

I checked the specs for the Accent HB 1.4 M/T.

Interestingly, weighing in at 1035kg kerb wt, it has a power-to-weight ratio similar to my-then 1.5 TI twin-carbureted, boxer-engined Alfa Romeo! ðð¼

Same torque Nm and just 4 BHP shy of the Italian!

I really miss the deep-bass gurgle of the Alfa engine, when down-shifting gears at high speed! ðð¼

But I'm sure you don't miss the litany of problems that it gave you?
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Hi all, I'm just committed elantra s version,

1)is there anyone out there also take s version?

2)Though cheaper than elite by 7 k, I find the day light running is halogen does it means I need change super often?

3)Also I heard fc horrible,, not sure by how much..my current ride full tank 43 l last me 450km, will it be worst than that?

4)how's their servicing department? Anything I should look out for?

5)during test drive the sound speaker very cartoon type ..any aftermarket speaker compatible?

6) is there a elantra club or other chat group other than here?

7)I went komoco to test drive ioniq but end up buying Elantra simply the drive feel same ,ioniq not as silent though is hybrid, price 13k difference higher than Elantra, so even save on Petrol also not much unless drive mileage like taxi...and parf value get back 2k around..and untested territory for both client n komoco service department..Elantra more spacious too n simple n rugged..hope I made right choice.

Hi

Anyone going to upgrade to Ioniq? Understand it.is a new model just few weeks old...

Test drive it recently and feel that it is superb! I'm a Nissan owner but am considering Ioniq.

Can someone share your experience with elantra:

- reliability

- driving feel and feedback

- servicing experience

Thanks Hyundai owners!

Edited by junguang5
  • Praise 2

Just curious, how come listed prices have risen so much over 1 year despite COE remaining constant? Has the specs inside improved?

I bought the accent at 90k after etc etc at tier 1 price, got 1 in 1 bid with 3 years servicing, 1 year road tax and other freebies. .

Listed price back then was $96,888 with 67k Coe rebate and etc etc. In 2015.

Fast forward accent listed price is $91,988 with 51k Coe rebate in Jan 2017.

Bith manual transmission.

• Praise 1

Just curious, how come listed prices have risen so much over 1 year despite COE remaining constant? Has the specs inside improved?

Ref: One Motoring website.

Cat A COE was between $45-47K in 1H16.

It went up to $50-55K in 2H16.

Trend the list price of the Accent in 2016.

It was about $87K in 1H16.

It went up to $90-93K in 2H16.

All first tier, guaranteed COE list prices.

I think the increase was commensurate with the COE rise across FY2016.

So what toking you?

p.s. I have no connections whatsoever with Komoco, or any AD, PI, or used car company.

Just a keen car market observer.

Edited by merc280v6
  • Praise 1

Hyundai price very flexible one!And also make you very confused.

Because last time they got tier 1 to 3,difference can be as much as 10k.

Then got basic,s,elite model together with tier 1 to 3,made the price even more confusing.

• Praise 1

Hyundai price very flexible one!And also make you very confused.

Because last time they got tier 1 to 3,difference can be as much as 10k.

Then got basic,s,elite model together with tier 1 to 3,made the price even more confusing.

Don't add to the confusion lar... must used the guaranteed tier one price as a gauge when comparing with COE premium changes cos the guaranteed price is the one that will fluctuate accurately with the COE premium changes...

All in all for Hyundai, my experience in tracking their price changes over the past year plus from Sep 2015 to now, I observe that their prices move in tandem with the COE premiums. But they do sometimes cut the prices more aggressively to anticipate a lowering of the COE premium or stagnation of the COE premiums.... it's the same for Borneo Motors also.

Hyundai prices are pretty good with narrower margins vs Toyota and Honda. Only ones complaining are those who take tier 3 at dirt cheap price then unhappy that bid is returned after 3 months. Some don't understand that the dealers are not running a charity or non-profit organization!

Hyundai prices are pretty good with narrower margins vs Toyota and Honda. Only ones complaining are those who take tier 3 at dirt cheap price then unhappy that bid is returned after 3 months. Some don't understand that the dealers are not running a charity or non-profit organization!

I think the reduced margins reflect the lower OMVs as well as the public perception of the badge... not too bad... keeps the prices low for people like us who can appreciate the quality of these Korean cars...

Hi

Anyone going to upgrade to Ioniq? Understand it.is a new model just few weeks old...

Test drive it recently and feel that it is superb! I'm a Nissan owner but am considering Ioniq.

Can someone share your experience with elantra:

- reliability

- driving feel and feedback

- servicing experience

Thanks Hyundai owners!

I have driven my Elantra s model for 5 days now,

-reliability: at moment feel the body is rugged, driving at 90 and 125km/hr hardly tell the difference ,but any car model u owned can only tell after 3/4 years where problems arise

-driving feel I feel the control much at ease n straight forward even though ionic which has higher horse power.

-yet to service, I feel all same same one lah..depend on luck.

• Praise 1

Ref: One Motoring website.

Cat A COE was between $45-47K in 1H16.

It went up to $50-55K in 2H16.

Trend the list price of the Accent in 2016.

It was about $87K in 1H16.

It went up to $90-93K in 2H16.

All first tier, guaranteed COE list prices.

I think the increase was commensurate with the COE rise across FY2016.

So what toking you?

p.s. I have no connections whatsoever with Komoco, or any AD, PI, or used car company.

Just a keen car market observer.

Hi sorry for not being specific, I was referring to the price history of elantra on sgcarmart

Taking S series for example - 

95,999 with COE 27-May-2016 $47,020 (CAT A) spacer.gif

vs 

$102,999 with COE 26-Jan-2017 $50,889 (CAT A)    

COE went up $3-4k but price went up $7k.

Also looking at this article comparing K3 with Elantra:

While both cars are very similar, which one is the better of the two? The Kia we tested was the more expensive SX model which goes for $101,999 (19 September 2016), while the Elantra tested was also the more expensive GLS Elite model, at $107,999.

Since then, the listed car price has moved in different ways - K3 went down $4k while Elantra went up $2k. Seems like elantra got comparatively less price competitive then, unless of course specs went up.

Edited by newtocars

Isn't there more to a car than simply how much money the company makes?

How about ride, handling, safety and the servicing quality? 

If money the only thing, then an Attrage or a Cherry will be a cheaper car..

• Praise 1

Isn't there more to a car than simply how much money the company makes?

How about ride, handling, safety and the servicing quality? 

If money the only thing, then an Attrage or a Cherry will be a cheaper car..

TBH,I dont really care how much money the company makes, but rather, how much as a consumer I'm paying.

At the end of the day, it doesnt matter to me how much lesser or more money the company makes, as long as I pay less for the car, without compromises in specs of course. The company could be making more and I'm happy as long I pay less. They could do so by being more cost efficient in their supply chain or operations.

I dont know how KIA does it, but they managed to bring the price of K3 down over the same period vs Elantra. This is of course not counting any changes in specs, which was what my original question was about - did Elantra's price increase because of an increase in specs.

Specs also contribute to most of the factors you have listed - ride, handling and safety. To me its very clear, if price increase and specs dont change - I dont see how ride, handling and safety can improve.

TBH,I dont really care how much money the company makes, but rather, how much as a consumer I'm paying.

At the end of the day, it doesnt matter to me how much lesser or more money the company makes, as long as I pay less for the car, without compromises in specs of course. The company could be making more and I'm happy as long I pay less. They could do so by being more cost efficient in their supply chain or operations.

I dont know how KIA does it, but they managed to bring the price of K3 down over the same period vs Elantra. This is of course not counting any changes in specs, which was what my original question was about - did Elantra's price increase because of an increase in specs.

Specs also contribute to most of the factors you have listed - ride, handling and safety. To me its very clear, if price increase and specs dont change - I dont see how ride, handling and safety can improve.

The specs are very different... the K3 SX specs are between that of the Elantra S and Elite trim. In fact the Elite trim has many more expensive features. It's definitely more worthwhile. Don't just look at the price alone.

Hi there. May I check if the basic model can fold in the side mirrors after parking?

You have to do it aftermarket or you get the SE to do it for you...

Some of the better models almost have a conti look when you are sitting inside the cabin. The difference is revealed only when you touch it and realise it's hard plastic vs conti soft touch leather. But the other difference is the 30-50k sitting in your bank account which you saved by buying a korean car vs a conti.

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

Some of the better models almost have a conti look when you are sitting inside the cabin. The difference is revealed only when you touch it and realise it's hard plastic vs conti soft touch leather. But the other difference is the 30-50k sitting in your bank account which you saved by buying a korean car vs a conti.

The cheaper conti like Peugeot and Opel got nice soft-touch surfaces too...

↡ Advertisement