2016 Hyundai Elantra / Avante

Hshs

Makes me wonder how much these people earn per month ?

The point value of fuel saved is not worth the issues of putting to neutral bros..

If fuel costs are really that large an issue, there are other modes of transport..

↡ Advertisement

I think frequent shifting of gears would obviously wear out the gearbox components faster than if you don’t do it. This includes but is not limited to shifting from D to N when stopped at traffic lights. So, naturally the advice is not to do that unless necessary, if you intend to keep the car for a long long time.

I've seen a few taxis setting to P mode (cos when they switch to D, can see reverse gear kick in) at red lights.

Makes me wonder why they do that?

I've seen a few taxis setting to P mode (cos when they switch to D, can see reverse gear kick in) at red lights.

Set to P leg can relax

It is a habit for taxi drivers to shift from D to N or P at red lights and when car stops. Sometimes when i sit in their taxi, the continuously of shifting of the gear really irritating. Lol.

It is a habit for taxi drivers to shift from D to N or P at red lights and when car stops. Sometimes when i sit in their taxi, the continuously of shifting of the gear really irritating. Lol.

My father is like this 1. He so loong drive manual car when switch to auto 10 yrs ago habit remain... left hand itchy at stoplight

Not my taxi.lol.....

If want to rest leg and don't want to spoilt gear box easily, remain as D and pull handbrake?

put at D and pull handbrake, your car will still roll la bro. 

try to drive ur car with handbrake up at D, your car still moves. 

Set to P leg can relax

I mean, why P? N enough liao what... 

It's quite scary to see the reverse lights light up when you are "stuck". 

Edited by SkimMilk

N how to legs off if ground is not level

Set to P leg can relax

Actually there's Auto Hold feature for that. Not available on the elantra, but it will hold the parking brake in D while ur leg is free to relax without having to step on brake

N how to legs off if ground is not level

N and hand brake like manual car?

Doesn't P have a pin that may be broken if handbrake is not applied?

Edited by SkimMilk

Coz someone mentioned put at N will wear down your shift cable and clutch band. Putting at P will be like normal parking mode, I suppose.

Coz someone mentioned put at N will wear down your shift cable and clutch band. Putting at P will be like normal parking mode, I suppose.

If it is really the case, then why is the point of having the N gear le? Lol.

The point value of fuel saved is not worth the issues of putting to neutral bros..

If fuel costs are really that large an issue, there are other modes of transport..

I dun think it's bcos of fuel saved issue. I dun even know can save fuel using this method.

It's more of habit and/or relaxing the leg.

If it is really the case, then why is the point of having the N gear le? Lol.

I also wondering  [confused]

Thks for the info.

Key word for me: doing it frequently for a long time could damage the torque converter.

So between perhaps having to change blown brake lights more frequently n cannot rest leg vs damaging the torque converter, I think I'll choose the former bah [:)]

↡ Advertisement