Tigerair to Hong Kong Flight Review

Boringchap

We flew to Hong Kong and back recently on Tiger Airways, budget carrier owned by Singapore Airlines. Based in Singapore, TigerAir operates a fleet of 25 aircraft (Airbus A320) to almost 40 destinations. This is the first time we are flying with Tigerair.

Overall, the flight for 4 pax (2 adults and 2 kids) cost us SGD $530 in total including taxes, return. This is about USD 375 or US93.75 per person. The flight from SIN to HKG takes almost 4 hours and the return leg about 3.5 hours.
Our departure was early morning, 0605hrs.
post-67319-0-60492300-1441944314_thumb.jpg
In this video, I show you snippets of Singapore Changi Airport that morning.
Changi Airport is a beautiful airport. Very proud of Changi. They take a lot of effort to make it beautiful.
post-67319-0-52764900-1441944323_thumb.jpg
Changi Terminal 2, early morning.
post-67319-0-05420500-1441944319_thumb.jpg
In the line to board the plane.
post-67319-0-18675000-1441944327_thumb.jpg
This video shows you the flight itself. Pretty smooth. We ate breakfast before boarding the aircraft, so we did not purchase any food while on board. The flight would be quite long, almost 4 hours. So what we did was to bring pieces of bread for discreet consumption. Tigerair's policy is that they do not allow outside food but they don't really enforce. That said, I don't think we should abuse this by bringing onboard a lot of food (especially if they smell!). So we bought pieces of bread from Baker Talent and our own water. We consumed the bread shortly after take-off and after that we went to sleep. Most pax also slept since it was an early flight, 0605 hrs departure. We got up just before 4am and took a taxi to the airport.
At my seat. Aisle seat towards the front of the plane. Legroom was decent for a Budget Airline. I could put my bagpack underneath in front of me and yet have enough space to stretch out my legs.
post-67319-0-50775300-1441944654_thumb.jpg
Waiting for more passengers to board. Cockpit door not yet closed. I could see the pilots making preparations for the flight.
post-67319-0-66640200-1441944660_thumb.jpg
This video shows you some footage post arrival at HK International. We were at a satellite terminal and we had to take an airport bus to the main terminal. It was a very bright and sunny day.
From the aerobridge, here is a cool picture of the Tigerair Airbus A320 that flew us to HK this morning. Good flight!
post-67319-0-42829200-1441944768_thumb.jpg
This was taken from the airport bus. Tigerair uses the satellite terminal. So we have to be bussed to the main terminal for immigration and customs clearance. Check out my video for the bus ride and walk.
post-67319-0-88152700-1441944772_thumb.jpg

Edited by Boringchap
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 5

Good that Tigerair landed on schedule at HKIA. After we cleared immigration (which took about 20-30 minutes given the long lines), it was time to get more food. No time change between Singapore and Hong Kong so it was close to 11am by the time we got into the public areas of HKG.

The plan was now to get some food (like a light lunch) before taking the airport bus A21 to downtown Tsim Sha Tsui.

Check out this video as we go to Tsui Wah at HKIA.

Tsui Wah is a chain eatery with many branches throughout Hong Kong. We have eaten here before so we knew how to get here and what to order. There was a sense of familiarity. See the breakfast sets being rolled out from the kitchen.

post-67319-0-65612400-1441945523_thumb.jpg

We ordered 2 of these sets. One for each kid. They can't finish, so the adults can eater after. We also ordered a won-ton noodles.

post-67319-0-79568300-1441945528_thumb.jpg

Hong Kong milk tea is a staple drink in HK. We like it.

post-67319-0-45195200-1441945534_thumb.jpg

• Praise 2

After breakfast, it was time to make our way to central Hong Kong. The plan was to take the Citybus A21. There are several options to get into HK. One way is to take the Airport Express, which is the fastest way to get to Central Station on HK island. But the cost is quite high, I think $100HKD per pax, and no child discount.

Another way is to take a taxi, which will cost around $HK300. For a family of 4 (if you can fit the luggage in), this option isn't too bad I guess.

However, our favourite way is to take the Citybus A-series buses into HK. Especially the A21 bus, which travels along Nathan Rd to Tsim Sha Tsui, passing many of the hotels. Better still, the cost is only HK$33 per adult and half price for kids. So total cost of the transfer was just $HK99 for my family of 4. Driver does not have change, so you need to have exact change or go to the bus station counter to top up your Octopus card.

This is a video, showing clips of the bus journey. It is a very comfortable ride, with great views from the upper deck. The electronic sign in front of the bus tells you the upcoming stop number. You need to do your research beforehand to figure out which stop you are going to alight, and then find your way on foot to your hotel. For Hotel Panorama by Rhombus, we are alight at stop number 16.

Here are some pictures. Bus 21 at the bus interchange, HKIA.

post-67319-0-11120300-1441945996_thumb.jpg

We have arrived at Tsim Sha Tsui, we are going to drop off soon.

post-67319-0-74888100-1441945999_thumb.jpg

Along the way, I saw this bus advert of a woman in bikini on a bus opposite. Guess what the advert was advertising for?

Edited by Boringchap

the price of S$530 for 4 person is great!

The only thing about TigerAir is that they are often known to change their flight schedules so a bit worried to go through them.

• Praise 2

Very detailed description :))

Considering the flight price, just 4 hours flight to HK is still ok for me :)

Enjoy holiday in HK :))

Thanks for the feedback. We are back in Singapore already. I hope the descriptions and videos are useful for fellow travellers who want to go to HK.

Yes, 4 hours is still ok for a budget carrier like Tiger. The seat pitch isn't too bad. We could sleep a bit.

The only thing about TigerAir is that they are often known to change their flight schedules so a bit worried to go through them.

Yeah, the price was very good, that is why we decided to go. We didn't plan to go to HK this time but my wife came across such a deal on the Tiger airways website we decided to bring the family for a short trip, for the fun of it.

Yes, I heard about the TigerAir scheduling issues so we were prepared for it. Good that our experience this time round was a very smooth flight both ways, and both ahead of schedule too.

I think budget airlines is still viable for me provided not more than 4 hours flight time... Anything more than that, I still prefer bigger airlines with comfortable seats and slight bigger legroom .... plus of course meals and watch TV :))

Anyway, have booked silkair to go Penang in Nov :))

Booked SQ to perth next month, paid close 1.7k for 3 person. Given flying time about the same as to hk, this tiger indeed value for money.

And also booked SQ to Surabaya end of this month, each pax paid about 270

Booked SQ to perth next month, paid close 1.7k for 3 person. Given flying time about the same as to hk, this tiger indeed value for money.

And also booked SQ to Surabaya end of this month, each pax paid about 270

Thanks for sharing.

Yeah, that is why when we saw the $530 price-tag for the round-trip for the 4 of us, we thought that it was a very good deal. But their pricing is dynamic and the fares change very quickly depending on supply and demand, and also depends on whether they are running a promotion.

Also the flight times are ok, better than FlyScoot. We got the 0605hr departure to HK, landed at about 1000hrs. For the return flight, we departed HKG at 2145, landed in Singapore about 0130hrs.

Ironically, the seat and legroom is better than the new Qatar Boeing 787!

Edited by Boringchap
  • Praise 1

been with tigerair a few times, generally they are ok....only once they was a delay because there was a fault with the plane and they decided to change to a new plane and new crew ( which was responsible for then to do, dunno about other smaller airlines in some third world country).

budget airlines are ok provided you have a flexible schedule and not on a deadline , for added security just buy travel insurance.

Thanks for the feedback. We are back in Singapore already. I hope the descriptions and videos are useful for fellow travellers who want to go to HK.

Yes, 4 hours is still ok for a budget carrier like Tiger. The seat pitch isn't too bad. We could sleep a bit.

Yeah, the price was very good, that is why we decided to go. We didn't plan to go to HK this time but my wife came across such a deal on the Tiger airways website we decided to bring the family for a short trip, for the fun of it.

Yes, I heard about the TigerAir scheduling issues so we were prepared for it. Good that our experience this time round was a very smooth flight both ways, and both ahead of schedule too.

Great, hope you and family enjoy the trip especially the kids. Let us know if you found any good makan place !

Great, hope you and family enjoy the trip especially the kids. Let us know if you found any good makan place !

We didn't do much by way of eating. Just stayed with the usual stuff.

hottest time to visit HK

😅

You are right, it was very hot indeed.

After breakfast, it was time to make our way to central Hong Kong. The plan was to take the Citybus A21. There are several options to get into HK. One way is to take the Airport Express, which is the fastest way to get to Central Station on HK island. But the cost is quite high, I think $100HKD per pax, and no child discount.

Another way is to take a taxi, which will cost around $HK300. For a family of 4 (if you can fit the luggage in), this option isn't too bad I guess.

However, our favourite way is to take the Citybus A-series buses into HK. Especially the A21 bus, which travels along Nathan Rd to Tsim Sha Tsui, passing many of the hotels. Better still, the cost is only HK$33 per adult and half price for kids. So total cost of the transfer was just $HK99 for my family of 4. Driver does not have change, so you need to have exact change or go to the bus station counter to top up your Octopus card.

This is a video, showing clips of the bus journey. It is a very comfortable ride, with great views from the upper deck. The electronic sign in front of the bus tells you the upcoming stop number. You need to do your research beforehand to figure out which stop you are going to alight, and then find your way on foot to your hotel. For Hotel Panorama by Rhombus, we are alight at stop number 16.

attachicon.gifDSC08320.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC08335.JPG

Along the way, I saw this bus advert of a woman in bikini on a bus opposite. Guess what the advert was advertising for?

Yup, A21 is good value for money. Takes about an hour to reach TST [thumbsup]

I think budget airlines is still viable for me provided not more than 4 hours flight time... Anything more than that, I still prefer bigger airlines with comfortable seats and slight bigger legroom .... plus of course meals and watch TV :))

Anyway, have booked silkair to go Penang in Nov :))

To Penang is only 1hr flight. You will see the air stewardess fighting for time to serve a light meal (sandwich ).

• Praise 3

Quite true. My parents booked afternoon flight to Hong Kong via Tiger but the flight was changed to early morning flight last minute.

But no choice. If we want to take budget air we have to prepare for that cos is no frill airlines. No frill = no service. [:(][:(].

attachicon.gifDSC08320.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC08335.JPG

Thanks for the info. I'll go to your blog to read more. [;)] [;)]

↡ Advertisement