Racechip Ultimate

RaceLover

I still see skepticism about this being no more than a throttle controller. That's why I'm still hesitating.

I prefer something plug and play, so it's either Racechip, Spider Chip by BMS, or a piggyback like Unichip.

Flashing is out cos my ecu is locked and I don't want to risk "frying" the unit.

RCU and Spider is like a generic map with no customisation. What if it's really just tuning the throttle response? That's not value for money at all.

Unichip requires splicing of wires which I don't want, but it offers better tuneability and customisation. It's very expensive too, was quoted $1.55k for a dyno tune.

How ah like that. Haiz.

RCU is definitely not a throttle controller. Although, confusingly, the same company also makes a throttle controller that works like a Sprint Booster. But that's a separate thing.

The guy who bought my M5 dynoed the car. He reported 640hp (stock rating was 560). Granted, it is now the trend to underrate these cars plus some dynos read high, but that figure almost certain represents a real gain as the dyno operator who's familiar with the F10 M5 looked visibly surprised according to the owner.

Also-my M135i (and my new M140i) have these sport displays on the iDrive screen. They show HP and torque on the go. Pre-chip, they went no higher than stock figures. Post-chip, the digital needle just pinged against the right hand end of the gauges. The numbers simply didn't go high enough to measure the new output. This, coupled with butt feel and also my performance against the E92 M3s of my friends convinced me this thing was the real deal.

Oh btw, I'm biased but I'm going to advise against the Unichip. It's not a plug and play thing and you're dependent on the tuner. That's a crapshoot and I've had a blown engine on my first WRX running a Unichip tuned by a jackass many years ago.

I don't know what Spider is, the RCU and the JB4 are the common options for BMWs.

Edited by Turboflat4
↡ Advertisement

RCU is definitely not a throttle controller. Although, confusingly, the same company also makes a throttle controller that works like a Sprint Booster. But that's a separate thing.

The guy who bought my M5 dynoed the car. He reported 640hp (stock rating was 560). Granted, it is now the trend to underrate these cars plus some dynos read high, but that figure almost certain represents a real gain as the dyno operator who's familiar with the F10 M5 looked visibly surprised according to the owner.

Also-my M135i (and my new M140i) have these sport displays on the iDrive screen. They show HP and torque on the go. Pre-chip, they went no higher than stock figures. Post-chip, the digital needle just pinged against the right hand end of the gauges. The numbers simply didn't go high enough to measure the new output. This, coupled with butt feel and also my performance against the E92 M3s of my friends convinced me this thing was the real deal.

Oh btw, I'm biased but I'm going to advise against the Unichip. It's not a plug and play thing and you're dependent on the tuner. That's a crapshoot and I've had a blown engine on my first WRX running a Unichip tuned by a jackass many years ago.

I don't know what Spider is, the RCU and the JB4 are the common options for BMWs.

Thanks bro for the assurance! :D

Thanks bro for the assurance! :D

No worries. It definitely works.

Now here's the potential downside.

You cause more premature wear. This is inevitable with any power mod. Expect to change spark plugs and possibly ignition coils sooner. Shouldn't affect the internals though.

The ecu may also stop 'playing nice' with the module. Happened to the guy who bought my M5 after a few months of driving. At this point the RCU had been continuously in the car for more than a year. He started having drivetrain errors that were sorted only after he removed the chip. After that car was trouble free, but he really missed the power.

He's going to try to install it back because there is a way to acclimate the ECU to the new module by a certain pattern of driving so that it doesn't give hiccups. (I wasn't aware of this before). Hopefully it works out well. BMW has fairly sensitive electronics.

Just wanted to give you a more complete picture. But even worst case scenario, your engine internals should be sound. They are confident enough to offer a full engine warranty in Germany - alas it doesn't apply here, but it shows they stand by their product.

Edited by Turboflat4

You cause more premature wear. This is inevitable with any power mod. Expect to change spark plugs and possibly ignition coils sooner. Shouldn't affect the internals though.

The ecu may also stop 'playing nice' with the module. Happened to the guy who bought my M5 after a few months of driving. At this point the RCU had been continuously in the car for more than a year. He started having drivetrain errors that were sorted only after he removed the chip. After that car was trouble free, but he really missed the power.

He's going to try to install it back because there is a way to acclimate the ECU to the new module by a certain pattern of driving so that it doesn't give hiccups. (I wasn't aware of this before). Hopefully it works out well. BMW has fairly sensitive electronics.

Just wanted to give you a more complete picture. But even worst case scenario, your engine internals should be sound. They are confident enough to offer a full engine warranty in Germany - alas it doesn't apply here, but it shows they stand by their product.

Wah thanks for the info. That's when the benefit of plug and play comes about.

Mine's a jap car, hopefully the ecu is not as sensitive as the contis.

The RCU is tune 'adjustable'. Probably it was set at a certain setting which didnt suit the new owners driving style thats why it threw all the drivetrain errors. Have to open the rcu cover to adjust.

The unichip i used on my car kept throwing drivetrain errors and i decided to remove it for good. Good $$$ wasted.. ohwell learning process.

• Praise 1

The RCU is tune 'adjustable'. Probably it was set at a certain setting which didnt suit the new owners driving style thats why it threw all the drivetrain errors. Have to open the rcu cover to adjust.

The unichip i used on my car kept throwing drivetrain errors and i decided to remove it for good. Good $$$ wasted.. ohwell learning process.

Possibly. My RCU was set at the most aggressive, because that's also my default driving style - I call it the "Jeremy Clarkson baboon special". :D

Possibly. My RCU was set at the most aggressive, because that's also my default driving style - I call it the "Jeremy Clarkson baboon special". :D

Of course who will drive a m5 like a puss. This is how to tweak the settings.. by turning the S2 setting. S2-9 i think is the most aggro. S1 keep at "1" coz not in use.

But alot of them say same feel after S2-C.. can slowly change it to see. Every 1 up i think changes the gear change rpm up by 500

maxresdefault.jpg

Edited by Rayoflight

Curious, if install racechip ultimate or other similar piggybacks that affect engine output power, go for car inspection need to remove? Assuming car is Cat B COE.

Has anyone went through inspection with these piggys on?

Curious, if install racechip ultimate or other similar piggybacks that affect engine output power, go for car inspection need to remove? Assuming car is Cat B COE.

Has anyone went through inspection with these piggys on?

don't worry it's ok.

inspection checks for roadworthiness and emissions (which you'll have no problem passing as long as you don't de-cat). they don't make the car go through a dynamometer.

you can refer to this link: https://www.onemotoring.com.sg/content/onemotoring/en/lta_information_guidelines/maintain_vehicle/inspection/systems_of_a_vehicle.html

• Praise 1

Neutral Newbie

Hi, I've just bought a Race Chip S from their online store.

I have a problem installing the Race Chip as the instructions manual are on a generic car and I do not know where exactly to hook up the connectors.

Any kind souls who can help and share with me where exactly to hook them up. I'm driving a S60 D2.

Thanks & Cheers.

Edited by Vince_Ng

Hi, I've just bought a Race Chip S from their online store.

I have a problem installing the Race Chip as the instructions manual are on a generic car and I do not know where exactly to hook up the connectors.

Any kind souls who can help and share with me where exactly to hook them up. I'm driving a S60 D2.

Thanks & Cheers.

Just go to any reputable workshop. They will be able to fix it for you at a small fee.

Check your email again, racechip usually sends out another mail with the instruction manual for your car.

Even the invoice email has a link to the PDF download instruction manual for your vehicle.

• Praise 1

Hi guys,

Any idea if you normally remove the racechip during servicing? Will the dealer make a fuss out of it?

don’t just replace with the blind plug

you need to remove the whole chip including harness

Hi,

Am selling my FXT soon and removing a Cusco Stratbar and Racechip Ultimate for sale.

Wonder if got any keen buyer.

Looking at letting go of the strat at $150 and the chip at $500.

Do contact me at 85336341.

Thanks

Vic

↡ Advertisement