Buying a Pickup Truck / SUV . (Need advice)

KimHeng_142223

Buying a double cab pick up in Singapore is one of the stupidest thing to do. You are practically paying a CAT A/B price for a commercial vehicle which cannot go above 70km/hr legally, cannot go into Malaysia (unless you got Malaysia company, etc)

Even it is for local usage, it is still nt worth it based on the price. I talking about brand new units for pickup. A L200 will set up back $138,500.00 while a Hilux will be $145,000.00. Ford has stop bringing in their 3.0 ranger. If so, it will costs around $144,000.00. The cheapest in the market would be SsangYong. Reliable, cheap and has the most flexible finance plan. Can even give 10 yr loan. But high interest. Sad thing is that Mazda BT-50 is not available and cannot indent.

L200 and SsangYong sports are available with stocks. SsangYong sports is a fwd (AWD is indent basis) for your info and it comes with quite a bit of accessories. I did a review on it. Check it out at the NEW cars section.

If it is solely for work and local transport, a 10ft lorry will do the job much better. If you have a family and yet still need a vehicle to transport materials, go get a Nissan Cabstar or Isuzu NHR 10ft double cab lorry. Let me inform you on the price

1) Nissan Cabstar double cab 10ft

Indent basis

$121,000.00 (AD) / $118,500.00 (Parallel Import)

2) Isuzu NHR double cab 10ft (Need VPC)

Stock available

$122,000.00 (Triangle Auto)

Edited by Jerrcik
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

L200 price is around near NP300 too. If $180k then as well buy an Audi Q3 better.

If you are in construction line, its best to get a single cab as double cab has very short & small deck. Insurance & roadtax is lower too.

I am from the construction line and my boss has both the L200 and D Max (4x4). Personally i am driving a D max at site.

For Single Cab only D max have.

Both L200 and Navara are only available in Double Cab due to poor sales previously Thats what C&C and Tan Chong says.

Bosses will normally buy the Cabstar, Canters ,Dyna and NHRs rather than singe cab cos of the carrying capacity (tonnage).

Seriously in Singapore buying either the L200 and D max very troublesome because of 4 main reasons:

1. Carpark hard to park if its 1.8m and even if its higher than 1.8m the season parking is gonna be real exp.

2. hard to find workshop to service except for authorized dealers (C&C, triangle and tan chong) even their skills are not up to the mark. Triangle Auto and C&C service can make u vomit blood de.

3. U wanna do stuff like wheel alignment or balancing only stamford tyre (Lok Yang way) can do cos of the software and balancing equipment. If u change outside rims they can do the balancing but make sure LTA dun catch you during homologation cos they only approve those ugly looking ones or stock de.

4. This vehicles the paper value like shit liddat cos no PARF de only COE. Unless you owe a company then you can use the price of this vehicles to offset your company's income tax.

• Praise 1

Go check out Kia Sorrento. Meet pretty much of your requirement.

Saw the picture, i would say it looks pretty decent!

Buying a double cab pick up in Singapore is one of the stupidest thing to do. You are practically paying a CAT A/B price for a commercial vehicle which cannot go above 70km/hr legally, cannot go into Malaysia (unless you got Malaysia company, etc)

Even it is for local usage, it is still nt worth it based on the price. I talking about brand new units for pickup. A L200 will set up back $138,500.00 while a Hilux will be $145,000.00. Ford has stop bringing in their 3.0 ranger. If so, it will costs around $144,000.00. The cheapest in the market would be SsangYong. Reliable, cheap and has the most flexible finance plan. Can even give 10 yr loan. But high interest. Sad thing is that Mazda BT-50 is not available and cannot indent.

L200 and SsangYong sports are available with stocks. SsangYong sports is a fwd (AWD is indent basis) for your info and it comes with quite a bit of accessories. I did a review on it. Check it out at the NEW cars section.

If it is solely for work and local transport, a 10ft lorry will do the job much better. If you have a family and yet still need a vehicle to transport materials, go get a Nissan Cabstar or Isuzu NHR 10ft double cab lorry. Let me inform you on the price

1) Nissan Cabstar double cab 10ft

Indent basis

$121,000.00 (AD) / $118,500.00 (Parallel Import)

2) Isuzu NHR double cab 10ft (Need VPC)

Stock available

$122,000.00 (Triangle Auto)

Yes, what you say make sense.

Probably i can look away with all this is because i love pickups with monster wheels. but i'll have to face to fact that buying one here in singapore suck. Most likely i'll look into SUV category for now and see whats there in the market.

For lorries, I've plan to give my current one to my worker to drive as i won't be driving the lorry anymore. so lorry wise i won't be buying another that soon. maybe 2 years later when my current one expire.

Thanks for the amazing info thou!

I am from the construction line and my boss has both the L200 and D Max (4x4). Personally i am driving a D max at site.

For Single Cab only D max have.

Both L200 and Navara are only available in Double Cab due to poor sales previously Thats what C&C and Tan Chong says.

Bosses will normally buy the Cabstar, Canters ,Dyna and NHRs rather than singe cab cos of the carrying capacity (tonnage).

Seriously in Singapore buying either the L200 and D max very troublesome because of 4 main reasons:

1. Carpark hard to park if its 1.8m and even if its higher than 1.8m the season parking is gonna be real exp.

2. hard to find workshop to service except for authorized dealers (C&C, triangle and tan chong) even their skills are not up to the mark. Triangle Auto and C&C service can make u vomit blood de.

3. U wanna do stuff like wheel alignment or balancing only stamford tyre (Lok Yang way) can do cos of the software and balancing equipment. If u change outside rims they can do the balancing but make sure LTA dun catch you during homologation cos they only approve those ugly looking ones or stock de.

4. This vehicles the paper value like shit liddat cos no PARF de only COE. Unless you owe a company then you can use the price of this vehicles to offset your company's income tax.

i'll take that 4 reason into consideration. Most likely i'm swaying away from pickup truck after all the forum writer's review/advice.

Think about it, yea, if work wise, most company like mine would choose a lorry over pick up. can maximise its usage for work.

• Praise 1

do they have local forums for these double cab trucks like actyon or ford ranger?

the dep for this double-cab are killer but i guess it's more of a lifestyle vehicle rather than going off-road in singapore.

Edited by KumarB

i also interested in the new navara.

i might choose to register it as a S plate commercial vehicle (meaning i will pay the special tax for diesel).

if it is an S plate, it can go malaysia, there is no 70km/h speed limit, don't need to keep extreme left on expressway etc.

other than the higher road tax, is there any other major disadvantages of S Plate commercial truck?

can the costs of the S plate still be used for Tax computations for a Pte. Ltd. company the way a G plated could be used?

• Praise 1

Supercharged

i might choose to register it as a S plate commercial vehicle (meaning i will pay the special tax for diesel).

if it is an S plate, it can go malaysia, there is no 70km/h speed limit, don't need to keep extreme left on expressway etc.

other than the higher road tax, is there any other major disadvantages of S Plate commercial truck?

can the costs of the S plate still be used for Tax computations for a Pte. Ltd. company the way a G plated could be used?

Such pickups can register as S plate meh ?

Really? But till now I haven't seen an S plate pickup truck before leh.... [:/]

Most commercial vehicles can be registered as S plate.

You should have seen Vito registered as a S plate. I don't mean taxis.

Such pickups can register as S plate meh ?

i not too sure for truck, but i heard before. take it with a pinch of salt. i did see S plate diesel van on the road before.

i give you an example is this citan registered as private plate, notice there is no speed limit sign behind

http://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.php?ID=492582&DL=1317

after registration, you will pay the road tax as if it was a petrol car, on top of that, you pay additional special tax. it should work out to roughly $2k plus for a 2 litre diesel engine.

my main concern is can the commercial vehicle in this case be tax deductible on the company?

Supercharged

Yes, I've seen commercial vans type regn as S plate and the owner use like his own MPV. Some are Vito, Panarama, etc. But these are vans, not pickups.

Perhaps some bros here have regn their pickups as S plate can confirm this...

IMO, it is still a better choice to opt for a SUV than a pickup given that there are so many rules to follow and in term of comfort, I am sure that SUV beat pickup hands down.

TS, u wanted KARANG look for ur car and that's all comestics, body kits will do the trick.

As for which SUV, u really have to choose it urself. Go pay visits to showroom to find out which car ATTRACT u.

Personally i just got the Hyundai Tucson 2016 lately and i find that the front is KARANG enough.

I think that SE at Komoco are practising lots of standards in freebies when I compared with other buyers, hope that u will get the correct one if u decided Hyundai is ur brand.

• Praise 1

TS, let me provide some in-depth view.

1) Car - You need to down payment 50%. And the rest can pay within 5 years.

2) G plate - 10% and can pay until you scrap the truck(If I'm not wrong).

If you have the cash, go for car. I don't think Harrier comes with AWD or 4WD option. I would suggest you go for cars with AWD or 4WD, and with option to switch to 2WD or FWD or whatever combination there is. Also, look for car with a hook or can attach a hook by opening a cap in the bumper. So in case you stuck in construction site, you can fix the towing bar and attach a rope to another truck to pull you out.

G plate, as other bros mention, can only go at 70km/h. If you think of carry load, but without human, you can go at 70 also. But you carry human behind, then limit to 60km/h. If wanna carry human, must meet the requirement of 1m or don't know how many meter barrier and must have canopy roof. Also, nowadays G plate or Y plate or whatever plate a truck comes with, they are all turbo charged. To drive a turbo charged and limit to 70 is no fun. I personally driven a Urvan and Dyna, both turbo charge. They can easily pick up speed. Urvan 2nd Gear can go up to 50, 3rd gear exceed 70km/h. Dyna will need 4th Gear to hit 80 plus. What I'm saying is, you may drive a 10 ft now, but driving a turbo truck, the speed is difficult to control, step a little, turbo kicks in. And I can tell you, the feeling of turbo kicks in, only got 2 words to describe. That is "Sibei Shiok."

Joke aside, you can register your pick up with S plate. That will allow you to drive above 70km/h. But you have to pay road tax, which is don't know how much. I think should be in 2k to 3k range.

Lastly, buying a truck, you can only use the stock rim that comes with the truck. No out protruding, no things sticking out here and there. They are very strict with this.

So, good luck for your car hunting.

wait what!? can buy as S plate !? i heard of it before but didn't know its even possible! REALLY?! lol

this could be a game changer.

for TS

Mercedes-G-Class-6x61.jpg

I wish i can give you the biggest thumbs up! LOL damn nice!

IMO, it is still a better choice to opt for a SUV than a pickup given that there are so many rules to follow and in term of comfort, I am sure that SUV beat pickup hands down.

TS, u wanted KARANG look for ur car and that's all comestics, body kits will do the trick.

As for which SUV, u really have to choose it urself. Go pay visits to showroom to find out which car ATTRACT u.

Personally i just got the Hyundai Tucson 2016 lately and i find that the front is KARANG enough.

I think that SE at Komoco are practising lots of standards in freebies when I compared with other buyers, hope that u will get the correct one if u decided Hyundai is ur brand.

NICE! finally someone with a 2016 tucson speak up! hahahaha was thinking why aren't anybody talking about it. yes hyundai looks good from the front. what about the back boot space? i just went down to see the harrier. looks quite spacious. i notice the hyundai should be 200 - 400 mm shorter then the harrier. is the boot size small? need your experience opinion man!

oh have you consider the harrier before your purchase and why did you choose hyundai at the end? :D

TS, since everyone throwing out funny suggestions now, here's my left field option also:

fond-1920.jpg

look wise is not bad, but i preferred something with Height where the SUV would come in. the car in the picture is consider a wagon/mvp right?

TS, let me provide some in-depth view.

1) Car - You need to down payment 50%. And the rest can pay within 5 years.

2) G plate - 10% and can pay until you scrap the truck(If I'm not wrong).

If you have the cash, go for car. I don't think Harrier comes with AWD or 4WD option. I would suggest you go for cars with AWD or 4WD, and with option to switch to 2WD or FWD or whatever combination there is. Also, look for car with a hook or can attach a hook by opening a cap in the bumper. So in case you stuck in construction site, you can fix the towing bar and attach a rope to another truck to pull you out.

G plate, as other bros mention, can only go at 70km/h. If you think of carry load, but without human, you can go at 70 also. But you carry human behind, then limit to 60km/h. If wanna carry human, must meet the requirement of 1m or don't know how many meter barrier and must have canopy roof. Also, nowadays G plate or Y plate or whatever plate a truck comes with, they are all turbo charged. To drive a turbo charged and limit to 70 is no fun. I personally driven a Urvan and Dyna, both turbo charge. They can easily pick up speed. Urvan 2nd Gear can go up to 50, 3rd gear exceed 70km/h. Dyna will need 4th Gear to hit 80 plus. What I'm saying is, you may drive a 10 ft now, but driving a turbo truck, the speed is difficult to control, step a little, turbo kicks in. And I can tell you, the feeling of turbo kicks in, only got 2 words to describe. That is "Sibei Shiok."

Joke aside, you can register your pick up with S plate. That will allow you to drive above 70km/h. But you have to pay road tax, which is don't know how much. I think should be in 2k to 3k range.

Lastly, buying a truck, you can only use the stock rim that comes with the truck. No out protruding, no things sticking out here and there. They are very strict with this.

So, good luck for your car hunting.

Thank you for your detailed explanation !

if its really 2-3k road tax, kinda bohua already aright? i love how pick up looks but i think most would preferred the SUV over it.

I think the navara have some turbo charge too, should be quite shiok.

is it confirmed that cars at any dealer ship have to down payment 50%? or some might give you a higher loan rate? depends on the company/dealer or is it a rule?

Care to share what freebies you got? There is some decent profit margin on my deal and I'm wondering if there's anything extra I can ask for besides car mats and solar film.

↡ Advertisement