Upgrading stock horn

EstherLui

On 9/26/2019 at 10:01 AM, Wormee said:

It was long ago when I change it for my previous car. I think cost is $60-80. Probably under $100 with installations. Better to call them up to check prices. Depending on your car, the horn installation could need to down bumper. E-REV would charge labour to down bumper depending on your negotiation skills with the boss. 

ok i noted there is 2 horn - a 400hz and a 500hz, both are loud on its own and sounds ok to me.

if i were to split them and use 1 each in 2 different cars, will it be possible?

will i need a relay for each separate one?

Edited by Wildfaye29
↡ Advertisement

11 hours ago, Wildfaye29 said:

ok i noted there is 2 horn - a 400hz and a 500hz, both are loud on its own and sounds ok to me.

if i were to split them and use 1 each in 2 different cars, will it be possible?

will i need a relay for each separate one?

I believed the reason why you want to upgrade your horn is to make it louder compared to your mickey mouse horn. If you split the 2 tone horns into 2 different cars, it will only have one single frequency. Furthermore, your stock horn cable will not be enough to power your 'single' 2-tone horn without a relay wiring it to your battery and fuse box. I do not know if it is technically possible but I don't think anyone would do that. Might as well stay stock or find another type of single horn that replaces the stock one which I doubt I can find one (previously). 

Cheers. 

Edited by Wormee

maybe u can try redirect the horn to face outside then inside the car.

The mech was telling me the horn face inside to create an echo camber ....

On 10/1/2019 at 7:41 AM, Wormee said:

I believed the reason why you want to upgrade your horn is to make it louder compared to your mickey mouse horn. If you split the 2 tone horns into 2 different cars, it will only have one single frequency. Furthermore, your stock horn cable will not be enough to power your 'single' 2-tone horn without a relay wiring it to your battery and fuse box. I do not know if it is technically possible but I don't think anyone would do that. Might as well stay stock or find another type of single horn that replaces the stock one which I doubt I can find one (previously). 

Cheers. 

On 10/1/2019 at 8:07 AM, Sdf4786k said:

maybe u can try redirect the horn to face outside then inside the car.

The mech was telling me the horn face inside to create an echo camber ....

Got the Hello Red Twin Tone (400hz is deeper and 500hz is sharper).

My installer used both on his bike and it sounds threatening to me. I only want awareness but not to shock anyone.

I used the 500hz sharper one on my car and it is facing down in bumper chamber - loud enough for me and definitely stronger than my mickey mouse.

Will be using the 400hz in my dad's car - his mickey mouse is even mickey-ier than mine!

• Praise 2

On 10/2/2019 at 7:49 PM, Wildfaye29 said:

My installer used both on his bike and it sounds threatening to me. I only want awareness but not to shock anyone.

I used the 500hz sharper one on my car and it is facing down in bumper chamber - loud enough for me and definitely stronger than my mickey mouse.

Will be using the 400hz in my dad's car - his mickey mouse is even mickey-ier than mine!

Why aren't you using both on your car? It's intended to both be used at the same time to warn people. If I recall my physics, there are situations when sound frequencies get cancelled out and therefore harder to hear.  Additionally people have different hearing frequencies based on their age, genetics etc. By having two clear different frequencies helps make sure your horn is noticed whoever you are. 

• Praise 1

Internal Moderator
On 10/2/2019 at 7:49 PM, Wildfaye29 said:

https://www.mycarforum.com/marketplace/info-134773/

image.thumb.png.9a4323a5d461fec67a3e814ca53bb01b.png

$48 dollar only. okay leh.

Just installed Hella Supertone on my car, replacing a pair of PIAA slim sports horns. 

The supertones are definitely more annoying and attention grabbing (which is great for a horn). 

I suspect the horn has "better" sound because it's forward facing, while snail type horns like the PIAA's fire the sound downwards or sideways. 

Got the supertone for $45 and learned that SG has some of the cheapest prices for Hella horns in Asia, since the distributor is in SG. 

actually for those who want to DIY wire your snail horns. can buy this wiring harness. Plug and play. bought a set  of this from taobao few years back.

But of cos dont buy anything now from taobao. Later free virus comes with parcel also.

TB2777Sw90mpuFjSZPiXXbssVXa_!!593594866.

TB22xQttbFkpuFjy1XcXXclapXa_!!593594866.

TB2mWTWtl4lpuFjy1zjXXcAKpXa_!!593594866.

TB25qkEw.dnpuFjSZPhXXbChpXa_!!593594866.

Edited by StreamRSZ

Internal Moderator
1 hour ago, StreamRSZ said:

actually for those who want to DIY wire your snail horns. can buy this wiring harness. Plug and play. bought a set  of this from taobao few years back.

But of cos dont buy anything now from taobao. Later free virus comes with parcel also.

TB2777Sw90mpuFjSZPiXXbssVXa_!!593594866.

TB22xQttbFkpuFjy1XcXXclapXa_!!593594866.

TB2mWTWtl4lpuFjy1zjXXcAKpXa_!!593594866.

TB25qkEw.dnpuFjSZPhXXbChpXa_!!593594866.

how does this works?