Who's birthday falls on 16th of September ?

Wishcumstrue

Ironically, 16th Sep is also "Malaysia day" - the birthday of the Malaysian Federation - *and* also the looming anti-Bersih rally (those two are not coincidentally linked).

Or maybe it's less ironic than it is poetic. LKY, whatever his faults may have been, was absolutely instrumental in distinguishing us from Malaysia. I shudder to think what we might have been like without him, but in all likelihood, I wouldn't be here typing this now if things had happened that way.

Edited by Turboflat4
  • Praise 9

Ironically, 16th Sep is also "Malaysia day" - the birthday of the Malaysian Federation - *and* also the looming anti-Bersih rally (those two are not coincidentally linked).

Or maybe it's less ironic than it is poetic. LKY, whatever his faults may have been, was absolutely instrumental in distinguishing us from Malaysia. I shudder to think what we might have been like without him, but in all likelihood, I wouldn't be here typing this now if things had happened that way.

Thank you for pointing out the significance of the date in the context of Malaysia's Independence Day.

This is precisely (and only reason) why I open this Thread.

Do not take today's Singapore for granted and do not judge a Man until you have closed his coffin.

• Praise 3

Just want to say thank you for being the iron spine in his team of selfless leaders.

Giving birth is painful and it ain't easy raising a baby.

Let's build on his team's sacrifices and show the world a young nation with a crescent and 5 stars will mature and make them proud.

• Praise 7

true that bro, and like in our prev private discussion on our own previous generations, you would perhaps still be at the ganges....

• Praise 2

true that bro, and like in our prev discussion on our own previous generations, you would perhaps still be at the ganges....

Well, we'll be looking for jobs elsewhere due to the lack of opportunity and bias policies.

• Praise 7

lky_banner.JPG

If LKY has been alive, he would be 92 this year ....

Will remember what he had done for our tiny island ...

Happy Birthday, Mr Lee :)

• Praise 6

praise 5. sorry cannot praise you on the button.

Not easy for him and his family too. They seldom have personal time. His wife also played a big part. Without her support, he won't be able to build Singapore. That is why he loves his wife so much.

Thank you MR LKY. The biggest regret is that you didn't make it to see the SG50 NDP celebrations. But I know you will definitely see it in heaven. You will always be remembered.

• Praise 2

I remember you, your love for this red dot and the people. You gave your life.

Your promises to ensure a safe, clean and harmonious country regardless of race, language and religion. You kept your words.

Each time I recall or recite the pledge, I can understand why it is so important to live in peace and harmony with each other. Because I see countries torn away by race/language/religion and innocent lives paying a heavy price. You reminded us.

When I look around me, I am blessed to have been born here. At least I have a better chance to grow up healthily and be rewarded for my achievements based on my own merits. You made this possible.

So, even though this comes a day late, I do not think I will ever be too late to say "Thank you and Thank God you were in our midst, guiding and building this nation with a dedicated team of great men. You have and will always be remembered with fondness and gratitude, sir."

You helped the younger generation see and feel the power of unity. We felt invincible and that no troubles or obstacles will be too difficult. For our homes and lives, we will stay united.

*my mum's birthday also falls on 16th September. Whilst she is happy she shared this great man's birth date (not the year of birth), she constantly reminded me to have a grateful heart towards this man, LKY. She went through the early troubled years, especially the racial riots.

Blood that flows and gives life is Red regardless of race, language and religion.

Pardon the long post

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1