2nd Generation Volkswagen Tiguan (2016)

Carbon82

Heard the all new Tiguan was launched at VW SG last weekend - anyone knows the launch price and any offers?

1.4 - S$ 162,900

2.0 - S$ 184,000+ (forgot exact figure)

after launch discount (S$5000)

Hello all current VW owners,

just like to check if you can register car-net successfully in Singapore?

http://www.vwcarnetconnect.com

Thanks.

if you using andriod auto, you need to go to a andriod site to download the latest as its country specific.

I cannot recall the link, but google at hardwarezone should be able to find. Follow the steps for setup and the interface should be able to connect.

I had to install uninstall and reinstall just to get it going on my VW and hence I advised to follow the steps. LOL

1.4 - S$ 162,900

2.0 - S$ 184,000+ (forgot exact figure)

after launch discount (S$5000)

Hello all current VW owners,

just like to check if you can register car-net successfully in Singapore?

http://www.vwcarnetconnect.com

Thanks.

This was one of the cars I was very keen to check out, given the excellent reviews.

Was slightly disappointed, to be frank.

Firstly, pricing isn't incredibly competitive. Even the base model is $20-40k above competitors in the same segment such as Xtrail, CRV, RAV4, Sportage, Tucson, CX5 etc.

Secondly, while interior looks good, there plenty of low rent plastics on the doors, lower half of the dash and in the centre console. The look and feel of the cup holders in the centre console was very disappointing, for instance. And it's one of those things that you cannot un-see once you have seen it.

I checked out the Tiguan back to back with the highly impressive Peugeot 3008 and soon to be replaced Mazda CX5, and the difference in interior ambience and quality was pretty stark.

Maybe the test drive makes up for it, I don't know. But at this price point, and given the international reviews, I expected better.

Update: I checked out the Australian pricing right after I wrote the above. The Tiguan is priced largely inline with the CX5, Tucson, Sportage +/- 3%! Does seem massively overpriced here in Singapore.

Edited by Fungyee77
  • Praise 1

This was one of the cars I was very keen to check out, given the excellent reviews.

Firstly, pricing isn't incredibly competitive. Even the base model is $20-40k above competitors in the same segment such as Xtrail, CRV, RAV4, Sportage, Tucson, CX5 etc.

Secondly, while interior looks good, there plenty of low rent plastics on the doors, lower half of the dash and in the centre console. The look and feel of the cup holders in the centre console was very disappointing, for instance. And it's one of those things that you cannot un-see once you have seen it.

I checked out the Tiguan back to back with the highly impressive Peugeot 3008 and soon to be replaced Mazda CX5, and the difference in interior ambience and quality was pretty stark.

Maybe the test drive makes up for it, I don't know. But at this price point, and given the international reviews, I expected better.

Update: I checked out the Australian pricing right after I wrote the above. The Tiguan is priced largely inline with the CX5, Tucson, Sportage +/- 3%! Does seem massively overpriced here in Singapore.

New launched cars ADs must sharpen knives mah.
  • Praise 1

Basing on Australian pricing might not be a good gauge as theirs is normally the bare version, no leather seats, sunroof, keyless entry, AID, etc.  The one here is very well equipped, even with Dynaudio system.  If the same spec found in Australia would be at least 10-20k on top of the listed RRP.

• Praise 1

Basing on Australian pricing might not be a good gauge as theirs is normally the bare version, no leather seats, sunroof, keyless entry, AID, etc.  The one here is very well equipped, even with Dynaudio system.  If the same spec found in Australia would be at least 10-20k on top of the listed RRP.

That's not exactly true. 

If you check out the 155TSI R-Line Tiguan in Australia, it has very similarly specs as the 2.0L version in Singapore, including Sunroof. Recommended retail in Australia is A$44,990. 

Compare this to the Mazda CX-5 GT, which is the top selling mid-sized SUV in Australia, and is equivalent to the 2.5L CX-5 sold in Singapore. Recommended retail in Australia is A$44,090.

Pricing difference in Australia is A$900 or 2%. Pricing difference in Singapore is S$31k (S$179k for Tiguan-147.8k for CX-5) or 21% !

This repeats across the range of mid-sized SUVs if you sit down and compare spec for spec across the board. In Australia and in UK. 

References

1. http://www.caradvice.com.au/compare-specs/t8d17a-volkswagen-tiguan/

2. http://www.caradvice.com.au/479405/2017-mazda-cx-5-gt-review/

• Praise 2

New launched cars ADs must sharpen knives mah.

Fully agree with you on this point.

But the Tiguan is really nice enough lah, price premium aside.

Anyone knows the OMV and ARF?

The brand new tiguan has a super nice interior. Even for the 1.4, its loaded with features. There's even head up display and AID.

However, the drive is real bad. Severely underpowered. I test drove the car and there's an engine straining sound. The 6 speed dsg is jerky too. Feels completely different from the 6 speed on the Passat 2.0. When I let the car roll to a stop at the traffic junction, there's a loud whirling sound and the engine breaking sound is very obvious. The test drive car sounds faulty.

Anyone who tested the 1.4 tiguan can share too?

• Praise 1

VW still frightens me about their gearbox. But if they do it well is a good car. Just look at the drop in VW on the roads. But that maybe due to its expensive price too.

• Praise 1

iirc tiguan is still using wet clutch 6DSG...no? still more reliable than the dry ones

Tiguan 1.4 is using the 6 speed wet.

Tiguan 2.0 is using the 7 speed. I think there's something contradicting. As one SE tell me is wet while another tell me is dry.

The 2.0 is AWD so the FC will not be that fantastic.

Super like the interior.

• Praise 1

Tiguan 2.0 is using the 7 speed. I think there's something contradicting. As one SE tell me is wet while another tell me is dry.

Super like the interior.

Yes, the technology is pretty impressive. Plus the spaciousness of the interior (width, rear legroom, boot) and the thoughtful spaces all around the car are very practical indeed.

Pricing is my main bugbear - I find it very hard to pay 21% premium (32% premium if you exclude COE) in Singapore when VW is not charging that kind of premium in any other mature market.

And it's not like it's a monopoly. This is the most competitive segment globally and there are plenty of great alternatives.

And finally, it's premium pricing but there are plenty of hard and scratchy plastic reminders (back door panel vs front door panel, lower half of dash, centre console etc) it's not exactly a premium offering.

Price it $20-30k lower and all these complaints get a bit softer. But as it is, it makes very little sense to me given the excellent alternatives out there.

the new tiguan is loaded with too many things. the OMV itself is 32K, hence, the super high selling price.

if you are not a brand whore, i say its a good buy if you need those features, considering its about x1/Q3 price but x1 has much lesser bells and whistles. but if you belong to the group of "a BMW is a BMW", which most Singaporeans do, you will not pick up the tiguan.

i say its a mistake for them to bring in only the highline variant.

in my opinion, this car will not fly at such price points. very few would pay this much for a 1.4l VW SUV.

realistic selling price VW offering now is 157-158,400.

depending on ur nego skills.

*stuff that jack up the pricing which i personally dont need:

panoramic roof

virtual cockpit

autonomous parking

10 speaker dynaudio

if you deduct all these items, the tiguan can actually be really affordable.

• Praise 1

Super like the interior.

Last time, I was told 2 litre and above VWs all use wet clutch.

Below 2 litre all use dry clutch and hence Golf, Rocco, Polo, Touran use dry whilst Tiguan, Sharan etc use wet. Now I suppose it becomes complicated cos Tiguan has a 1.4l?

BTW, was told at the Motorshow that they brought in 11 pcs of Tiguan and already sold 9 on the Thu launch day. Fri when I went, they only had 2 left of which one is the show car

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 5