10th Generation Honda Civic (2016)

Carbon82

What are the hot colours for this new civic?

White, silver and cosmic blue are popular I think.. Seen quite a number of them on the road already.
↡ Advertisement

Was driving near alexandra road towards bukit merah.. saw a 1.5t test drive infront of me at traffic light turning right, once we both make the right turn, it just pull off in an instant.. my goodness... that power makes me drool

actually Cibic 1.5T 170bhp power wise only is so so, compare to Nissan Sylphy 1.6T 188bhp, cibic is loser but how come nobody paid too much attention on Sylphy but all praise cibic [hur]

The article mentioned 1.8l and 1.5t. What is 1.6NA? Naturally aspirated? Reason for it to take so long to come to Singapore? Engine from Japan, body from Thailand. Then fit locally?

We don't do any assembly locally. The 1.6 NA is specially made for our market, as most other markets use the 1.8 or the new 1.5T.

The waiting time may just be shipment issues. Kah may be shipping these cars over in batches, and they may have sold out their current load of 1.6NA cars.

Thailand isn't far away, and even a load from Japan or Korean doesn't take more than two months to reach us here. Nothing to do with assembly or the factory. It's what and when Kah places an order. 

Are the engines japan made? So the 10th gen 1.6na is thai body, japan engine?

No the engines are all made in Thailand... including the new halo L15B7 Turbo 1.5

Honda just open a huge engine plant outside Bangkok, around Samut Prakan iirc

The R series, meaning R16A, the PROPER R18A and R20A have no value already, In Japan, there are NO, and I mean NO Hondas there that are powered by this 10 yr old engine. JDM Hondas mostly uses the L15B (Turbo or not), Hybrid, or 2.4L K24Z.

Where once the R18A were king of the hill against other Japs and Euro cars back in 2006, it has been completed overshadowed by the numerous new offerings from other manufacturers these days.. And they already have trouble meeting the latest Euro 5 emission standards, much less the new Euro 6.

The R series are still being offered in the new Civic mainly becos.... Honda wants profit even for base, entry level models! [furious] And its offered mostly in this part of the world only.

In other western countries where super tight emission standards are enforced, the base level engine for the new Civicis the 2L K20Z.

In other parts of the world, the 1.5T is the sole engine offered. But you can get a lower spec Civic model to go along with the 1.5T

We don't do any assembly locally. The 1.6 NA is specially made for our market, as most other markets use the 1.8 or the new 1.5T.

The waiting time may just be shipment issues. Kah may be shipping these cars over in batches, and they may have sold out their current load of 1.6NA cars.

Thailand isn't far away, and even a load from Japan or Korean doesn't take more than two months to reach us here. Nothing to do with assembly or the factory. It's what and when Kah places an order. 

No. Just like the FD Civic and the CMI FB Civic 1.6, Honda needs to disrupt the engine production lines just to produce a batch of our one of the kind 1.6L R16A. And our volume i is so damn small, its a miricle Honda still paid attention to our troublesome market just becos of our crazy tax systems.

Basically its just a destroked R18A. Same engine block, layout, bore etc... The only diff is the stroke length ( reduced to become 1.6L), and a corresponding compression ratio change. And of cos a different ECU programming.

The delay is exactly becos of the above. I think the line disruption cannot occur at regular intervals and it could be on an adhoc basis. This is why delivery is so long.

Anyway thats just my wild guess, it may or may not be the case.

actually Cibic 1.5T 170bhp power wise only is so so, compare to Nissan Sylphy 1.6T 188bhp, cibic is loser but how come nobody paid too much attention on Sylphy but all praise cibic [hur]

Bro, the Bluebird Sylphy SSS was really a hastily put together concept

Putting a powerful engine into a chassis and platform that was not designed to handle such power.

And the rest of the drivetrain and suspension didnt/couldnt get upgraded to properly put those extra power to the ground.

Nissan CVT is also one slow and nasty unit. It zaps away most of the extra power already. And the SSS just cant handle the corners nor high speed like the Civic could. And then the spec sheets... Nissan is nowhere near also

With 188hp, why century sprint was almost 9.6 secs?

Was driving near alexandra road towards bukit merah.. saw a 1.5t test drive infront of me at traffic light turning right, once we both make the right turn, it just pull off in an instant.. my goodness... that power makes me drool

Wait till that guy installed aftermarket ECU module to his Civic. 200hp, 260NM of torque is garanteed.

The rest of the engine remains factory stock. No changes required. But u need 98octant gas liao

• Praise 2

No the engines are all made in Thailand... including the new halo L15B7 Turbo 1.5

The R series, meaning R16A, the PROPER R18A and R20A have no value already, In Japan, there are NO, and I mean NO Hondas there that are powered by this 10 yr old engine. JDM Hondas mostly uses the L15B (Turbo or not), Hybrid, or 2.4L K24Z.

Where once the R18A were king of the hill against other Japs and Euro cars back in 2006, it has been completed overshadowed by the numerous new offerings from other manufacturers these days.. And they already have trouble meeting the latest Euro 5 emission standards, much less the new Euro 6.

The R series are still being offered in the new Civic mainly becos.... Honda wants profit even for base, entry level models! [furious] And its offered mostly in this part of the world only.

In other western countries where super tight emission standards are enforced, the base level engine for the new Civicis the 2L K20Z.

In other parts of the world, the 1.5T is the sole engine offered. But you can get a lower spec Civic model to go along with the 1.5T

[nod] The best and most logical for local market is to replace 1.6NA with the 1.0T. Hope Kah will bring it to market in near future. 

Found this at Wikipedia,

R16A
  • Found in:
      • 2006 Honda Civic FD (Singapore, Egypt, Turkey Market)
      • Displacement: 1,595 cc (97.3 cu in)
      • SOHC IVTEC (Belt driven cam)
      • Compression: 10.5:1
      • Bore & stroke: 81.0 mm × 77.4 mm (3.19 in × 3.05 in)
      • Power: 125 PS (92 kW; 123 bhp) @ 6,500 rpm
      • Torque: 15.4 kgf·m (151 N·m (111 ft·lbf)) @ 4,300 rpm
      • 5 Speed
      • Redline: 6800 rpm
R16B
  • Found in:
      • 2016 Honda Civic-X (Singapore, Egypt, Turkey Market FC series)
      • Displacement: 1,597 cc (97.5 cu in)
      • SOHC IVTEC (Chain driven cam)
      • Compression: 10.7:1
      • Bore & stroke: 81.0 mm × 77.5 mm (3.19 in × 3.05 in)
      • Power: 125 PS (92 kW; 123 bhp) @ 6,500 rpm
      • Torque: 15.6 kgf·m (152 N·m (112 ft·lbf)) @ 4,300 rpm
      • 7 Speed CVT Transmission
      • Redline: 6700 rpm
R18
220px-Honda_R18A_Engine.JPG

R18A
R18A1
  • Found in:
    • 2006-2016 Honda Civic (Thailand/Malaysia/Japanese/Pakistani-market FD1, American/Canadian-market FA1 and FG1)

2007-9 Honda FR-V (European-market BE1)

• Displacement: 1,799 cc (109.8 cu in)
      • Bore & stroke: 81.0 mm × 87.3 mm (3.19 in × 3.44 in)
      • Power: 141 PS (104 kW; 139 bhp) @ 6300 rpm (Japanese Spec)
      • Torque: 17.7 kgf·m (174 N·m (128 ft·lbf)) @ 4,300 rpm
      • Fuel Cut Off: 6900 rpm
      • Redline: 6800rpm
R18A2
  • Found in:
    • 2012-2014 Honda´S Civic (European-market FN1 & FK2)
      • Power: 140 PS (103 kW; 138 bhp) @ 6,300 rpm
      • cruising/economy happens during VTEC under cruising load only.
      • Redline: 7150 rpm
R18Z1
220px-Honda_R18Z1.jpg

R18Z1 Engine on a Honda Civic FB2
  • Found in:
    • 2012- Honda Civic (Southeast Asian FB2)
      • Compression: 10.6:1
      • Power: 141 PS (104 kW; 139 bhp) @ 6,500 rpm
R20A1
  • Found in:
    • 2007- Honda CR-V (RE1, RE2)

2008- Honda Stream (RSZ)

2013- Acura ILX (SLOW)

• Displacement: 1,997 cc (121.9 cu in)
      • Bore & stroke: 81.0 mm × 96.9 mm (3.19 in × 3.81 in)
      • Power: 115 PS (85 kW; 113 bhp) @ 6,200 rpm
      • Torque: 19.4 kgf·m (190 N·m (140 ft·lbf)) @ 4,197 rpm
R20A2
  • Found in:
    • 2007- Honda CR-V (RE5)
      • Power: 150 PS (110 kW; 148 bhp) @ 6,200 rpm
      • Torque: 19.4 kgf·m (190 N·m (140 ft·lbf)) @ 4,200 rpm
R20A3
  • Found in:
    • 2008- Honda Accord (CP1)
    • 2016 Proton Perdana Proton P4-90B
      • Power: 156 PS (115 kW; 154 bhp) @ 6,300 rpm
      • Torque: 19.3 kgf·m (189 N·m (139 ft·lbf)) @ 4,300 rpm
      • Top speed: 215km/h
R20Z1
  • Found in:
    • 2012- Honda Civic (FB2)
      • Compression: 10.6:1
      • Power: 155 PS (114 kW; 153 bhp) @ 6,500 rpm
      • Torque: 19.4 kgf·m (190 N·m (140 ft·lbf)) @ 4,300 rpm

actually Cibic 1.5T 170bhp power wise only is so so, compare to Nissan Sylphy 1.6T 188bhp, cibic is loser but how come nobody paid too much attention on Sylphy but all praise cibic [hur]

Might as well Hyundai Veloster, twin turbo. Well ...this thread is for civic x and this is comeback for honda turbo after so many years pure n.a. People are sexcited

Chill

No. Just like the FD Civic and the CMI FB Civic 1.6, Honda needs to disrupt the engine production lines just to produce a batch of our one of the kind 1.6L R16A. And our volume i is so damn small, its a miricle Honda still paid attention to our troublesome market just becos of our crazy tax systems.

Basically its just a destroked R18A. Same engine block, layout, bore etc... The only diff is the stroke length ( reduced to become 1.6L), and a corresponding compression ratio change. And of cos a different ECU programming.

The delay is exactly becos of the above. I think the line disruption cannot occur at regular intervals and it could be on an adhoc basis. This is why delivery is so long.

Anyway thats just my wild guess, it may or may not be the case.

Bro, the Bluebird Sylphy SSS was really a hastily put together concept

Putting a powerful engine into a chassis and platform that was not designed to handle such power.

And the rest of the drivetrain and suspension didnt/couldnt get upgraded to properly put those extra power to the ground.

Nissan CVT is also one slow and nasty unit. It zaps away most of the extra power already. And the SSS just cant handle the corners nor high speed like the Civic could. And then the spec sheets... Nissan is nowhere near also

With 188hp, why century sprint was almost 9.6 secs?

Wait till that guy installed aftermarket ECU module to his Civic. 200hp, 260NM of torque is garanteed.

The rest of the engine remains factory stock. No changes required. But u need 98octant gas liao

Disrupt assembly line to make the 1.6 L eingine for our tiny market? Dude, what are you smoking? You sure or not bro??? 

• Praise 1

L15B7

• Found in:

• 2016 Honda Civic turbo (US & South East Asia)

• Engine Type: (DOHC) In-Line 4-Cylinder with Single Scroll MHI TD03 Turbo and Internal Wastegate

• Boost Pressure: 16.5 psi

• Displacement: 1,496 cc (91.3 cu in) Direct Injection

Bore and Stroke: 73.0 mm x 89.4 mm

Compression: 10.6:1

Power: 174 HP @ 6000 rpm

Torque: 162 lb·ft @ 1700-5500 rpm

Redline: 7000 rpm

[nod] The best and most logical for local market is to replace 1.6NA with the 1.0T. Hope Kah will bring it to market in near future. 

I don't know bro..

This is my own theory, these small turbos have to work a lot harder than the traditional larger capacity units. 

Will they last, and will they need higher grade fuel, more maintenance, etc, remains to be seen.. 

@Jeuda

As you can see, Honda has not made that many new engines, instead the Japanese have been using 10 year old tech.. the turbos and the HRV's 1.5l is the main new products. Fear of innovation or just playing it safe?

In Singapore, they need a <130 bhp engine, but I wonder why they did not use the 1.5l from the HRV. Probably because it's not available off the production line in Thailand.. they make the older 1.5l 120 bhp version.. 

Its typical japanese mindset to keep the best for themselves and the older one let's maximise profit.

It is not easy to start manufacturing something new as well in a plant,esp in emerging market where really capable people could learn your technology and then went somewhere else to create something better.

And, most importantly,keep the dealer in japan alive. Imagine honda let the rest of the world sell the same JDM vezel, who will PI then? Haha

Hi all,

This is my first post in this forum and I had just got my new 1.6l NA silver Civic last Sat. The new ride has been so far and so good. My previous car was a pre-owned 2008 GE8 Honda Fit 1.3l. As much as the new ride is pretty impressive and self rewarding, it feels less engaging to drive than my old Fit, probably because the new Civic has too many electronics and the old Fit has more mechanical aspects to play with. 

I has shortlisted a few new cars before deciding on this Civic. Namely the Mazda 3 and 6, VW Golf 7, VW Scirocco, Opel Astra, Toyota Corolla, Subaru Impreza, Nissan Pulsar, Honda Vezel/HRV, and Mercedes Benz A180.

However due to these factors, I finally decided on the Civic.

Mazda 3: 

- my "passengers" complained of uncomfortable seats during test drive.

- heard and read of many bad reviews of Trans EuroKars after sales and servicing services.

- facelifted model coming next year, not sure if it is worth to get the old model and don't want to wait till 2017.

- it's a good car, drives like a continental car and has the decent features but the above factors pulled me away.

Mazda 6:
- a relatively handsome car and probably the best looking car in the segment. 
- however a bit too ex and probably a bit to big for my use...  [laugh]

- same issues on the Trans EuroKars after sales and servicing services.

VW Golf 7: 
- the DSG issues. I read that it is better not to touch dry clutches. 
- my "passengers" complained it's as cramped as my old Fit.

- not really used to continental car's controls, but the drive feels good during the test drive.

- not sure if it is worth to get the old model and don't want to wait till the Golf 8 is out.

VW Scirocco:

- 2 door so not sure if it's practical, according to my "passengers" but I would prefer this than the Golf. Had like this car since it's launch.

- the DSG issues as above.

Opel Astra: 

- probably the closest choice I wanted to get after the Civic.

- Test drive it and it feels good, although the 1.0l is a bit underpowered. Sadly, the 1.4l is under Cat B although I personally feel it should be a Cat A car.

- Exterior design looks quite bland.
- Not so established brand here makes me think twice.

Toyota Corolla:

- Good in many aspects, space, drive, reliability, and a tad cheaper than the Civic.
- However it is projected as an uncle's car :XD: , even though I feel the exterior design already looks more sporty. 

- Anyway, the facelifted model is coming soon.

Subaru Impreza and Nissan Pulsar: 

- have to wait till next year for the new model, so don't want to wait.

Honda Vezel/HRV:

- heard many good reviews about this car

- but too common on the roads and it's a mainstream model for private hire cars. So, No. No. 

- Somemore heard many "horror" stories about PIs. So as a first time buyer, better not to touch PI first.

Mercedes Benz A180:

- always wanted to drive a Mercedes Benz but think should not buy one in impulse.

- it's very cramped with little boot space, even smaller than my old Fit.

- pretty ex to me. Monthly installments may probably reach over my head.

Had considered 2nd hand cars like:

- Mercedes Benz 190E (Wanted one badly. But very rare and even harder to find a good one. Maintenance issues for such old cars.) 

- Mercedes Benz E200 W124 (Maintenance issues for such old cars but this car is like a tank, little problems, easy and cost effective to maintain.) 

- Mercedes Benz R129 280SL (Actually my practical dream car. The design is timeless. Maintenance issues for such old cars. And 2 doors, hmmm......)

- BMW E90 3 series (Was told not to touch 2nd hand BMWs by my friends. Maintenance issues gonna be worse than the old Mercs)

So there I landed myself with the new Civic. Didn't consider the 1.5l Turbo because for the price, I can get the Mazda 6 or Mercedes Benz A180 instead or even the Opel Insignia. In short, there are bigger and better options for the price I pay. Somemore I have little confidence of maintaining a turbo engine.

So I go head with the normal Civic. Why Civic? Because of my past admiration of the EG and FD series. Bought it in end May, just days before the news of the new car loan scheme.  :a-bang:  Not sure if it is a good or bad thing. 
It's a very bloody long wait of 4 months and 2 weeks, but meanwhile can enjoy the last moments of my old Fit for a few more months.

Honda Civic 1.6NA

- looks like a smaller Audi A5 sportback. 

- like the coupe like profile and sporty design. There are some people questioning the rear design but I am actually attracted to the boomerang rear lamps.

- spacious, in the point of view of an ex-Honda Fit driver

- Rear air cons

- Can support Apple Car Play/ Android Auto

- Premium feel over the last gen Civic (soft leathers, walk away lock)

- Quiet cabin and smooth acceleration when driving, compared to my old Fit

- The dash dials are very attractive looking. A bit like the Lamborghini Reventon.

- Boot space very big.

- Brake hold button. Very useful during traffic lights because I always pulled my handbrake in my old Fit during traffic lights, rather than stepping the brake pedal.

- Established quality of Honda cars, reliable, cheap and easy to maintain, etc. My old Fit is a very good example.  [thumbsup]

Not really like: 
- Hankook Ventus S1 Noble tyres. Why Korean tyres??? At least a Yokohama would suffice. 

- Prefer the 17 inch rims design than the 16 inch rims design.

- Don't like the plastic sides backing between the door and rear passengers seats. At least can put a layer of thin leather cushion instead.

- No lane watch. (Not sure if it is a good or bad thing).

- No power seats for front passenger and driver seat.  [bigcry]

- Less engaging to drive than my old Fit, probably too many electronics on new cars nowadays.

End of my lengthy introduction. [smash]  

• Praise 5

Hi all,

This is my first post in this forum and I had just got my new 1.6l NA silver Civic last Sat. The new ride has been so far and so good. My previous car was a pre-owned 2008 GE8 Honda Fit 1.3l. As much as the new ride is pretty impressive and self rewarding, it feels less engaging to drive than my old Fit, probably because the new Civic has too many electronics and the old Fit has more mechanical aspects to play with.

I has shortlisted a few new cars before deciding on this Civic. Namely the Mazda 3 and 6, VW Golf 7, VW Scirocco, Opel Astra, Toyota Corolla, Subaru Impreza, Nissan Pulsar, Honda Vezel/HRV, and Mercedes Benz A180.

However due to these factors, I finally decided on the Civic.

Mazda 3:

- my "passengers" complained of uncomfortable seats during test drive.

- heard and read of many bad reviews of Trans EuroKars after sales and servicing services.

- facelifted model coming next year, not sure if it is worth to get the old model and don't want to wait till 2017.

- it's a good car, drives like a continental car and has the decent features but the above factors pulled me away.

Mazda 6:

- a relatively handsome car and probably the best looking car in the segment.

- however a bit too ex and probably a bit to big for my use... [laugh]

- same issues on the Trans EuroKars after sales and servicing services.

VW Golf 7:

- the DSG issues. I read that it is better not to touch dry clutches.

- my "passengers" complained it's as cramped as my old Fit.

- not really used to continental car's controls, but the drive feels good during the test drive.

- not sure if it is worth to get the old model and don't want to wait till the Golf 8 is out.

VW Scirocco:

- 2 door so not sure if it's practical, according to my "passengers" but I would prefer this than the Golf. Had like this car since it's launch.

- the DSG issues as above.

Opel Astra:

- probably the closest choice I wanted to get after the Civic.

- Test drive it and it feels good, although the 1.0l is a bit underpowered. Sadly, the 1.4l is under Cat B although I personally feel it should be a Cat A car.

- Exterior design looks quite bland.

- Not so established brand here makes me think twice.

Toyota Corolla:

- Good in many aspects, space, drive, reliability, and a tad cheaper than the Civic.

- However it is projected as an uncle's car :XD: , even though I feel the exterior design already looks more sporty.

- Anyway, the facelifted model is coming soon.

Subaru Impreza and Nissan Pulsar:

- have to wait till next year for the new model, so don't want to wait.

Honda Vezel/HRV:

- heard many good reviews about this car

- but too common on the roads and it's a mainstream model for private hire cars. So, No. No.

- Somemore heard many "horror" stories about PIs. So as a first time buyer, better not to touch PI first.

Mercedes Benz A180:

- always wanted to drive a Mercedes Benz but think should not buy one in impulse.

- it's very cramped with little boot space, even smaller than my old Fit.

- pretty ex to me. Monthly installments may probably reach over my head.

Had considered 2nd hand cars like:

- Mercedes Benz 190E (Wanted one badly. But very rare and even harder to find a good one. Maintenance issues for such old cars.)

- Mercedes Benz E200 W124 (Maintenance issues for such old cars but this car is like a tank, little problems, easy and cost effective to maintain.)

- Mercedes Benz R129 280SL (Actually my practical dream car. The design is timeless. Maintenance issues for such old cars. And 2 doors, hmmm......)

- BMW E90 3 series (Was told not to touch 2nd hand BMWs by my friends. Maintenance issues gonna be worse than the old Mercs)

So there I landed myself with the new Civic. Didn't consider the 1.5l Turbo because for the price, I can get the Mazda 6 or Mercedes Benz A180 instead or even the Opel Insignia. In short, there are bigger and better options for the price I pay. Somemore I have little confidence of maintaining a turbo engine.

So I go head with the normal Civic. Why Civic? Because of my past admiration of the EG and FD series. Bought it in end May, just days before the news of the new car loan scheme. :a-bang: Not sure if it is a good or bad thing.

It's a very bloody long wait of 4 months and 2 weeks, but meanwhile can enjoy the last moments of my old Fit for a few more months.

Honda Civic 1.6NA

- looks like a smaller Audi A5 sportback.

- like the coupe like profile and sporty design. There are some people questioning the rear design but I am actually attracted to the boomerang rear lamps.

- spacious, in the point of view of an ex-Honda Fit driver

- Rear air cons

- Can support Apple Car Play/ Android Auto

- Premium feel over the last gen Civic (soft leathers, walk away lock)

- Quiet cabin and smooth acceleration when driving, compared to my old Fit

- The dash dials are very attractive looking. A bit like the Lamborghini Reventon.

- Boot space very big.

- Brake hold button. Very useful during traffic lights because I always pulled my handbrake in my old Fit during traffic lights, rather than stepping the brake pedal.

- Established quality of Honda cars, reliable, cheap and easy to maintain, etc. My old Fit is a very good example. [thumbsup]

Not really like:

- Hankook Ventus S1 Noble tyres. Why Korean tyres??? At least a Yokohama would suffice.

- Prefer the 17 inch rims design than the 16 inch rims design.

- Don't like the plastic sides backing between the door and rear passengers seats. At least can put a layer of thin leather cushion instead.

- No lane watch. (Not sure if it is a good or bad thing).

- No power seats for front passenger and driver seat. [bigcry]

- Less engaging to drive than my old Fit, probably too many electronics on new cars nowadays.

End of my lengthy introduction. [smash]

How could A180 installment could be over your head when you are considering the likes of E200, or even sirocco?

The A180, with discount could near a scirocco

Edited by Yysiong

How could A180 installment could be over your head when you are considering the likes of E200, or even sirocco?

He is not referring to the new E200/w213, he mentioned W124 which is a 20 year old 200E mercedes.

E200 W124 is a 1990s car/ There are a few selling less than 30k in the 2nd car market. 

That's why I don't even test drive the Scirocco. I like it but I know it's going to hurt my wallet badly. And the 4 door A180 is more practical than the 2 door VW.

Anyway, I have a few noob questions about the new Honda Civic and I hope the experts here can give their best answers if possible.

1. I wanted to pump the tires today at the petrol kiosk and I checked the kpa in them were about 250. However the recommended kpa is 220 for all 4 tires as stated in the manual and the side door sticker. I even asked the SE and says 220 is good enough.

So is 220 good enough? Would it be under inflated and cause uneven wear of the tires after some time? However if I inflate to the maximum (which is about 260 kpa for the Hankook Ventus S1 Noble tyres, I believe), would the fuel consumption per litre be higher?

2. There are pedal shifts behind the steering wheel, + and -. I think there should be a sports mode to drive this car. However I am not sure how it works. Anyone can advise the steps to use them? As in engage to which gear, what speeds, etc.

3. The proprietary Honda in car system is about to sync with my Android phone. However the car needs to be stopped in order to use the phone's GPS. Is there a way I can use the GPS to show me the directions as I drive? 

Or is it only that I can only use the on the spot GPS with Android Carplay? And when the heck is Singapore going to launch the official Android Auto? Even Latin America is faster than us.

Need help on this and greatly appreciated.

Edited by DACH
  • Praise 1

Turbocharged

E200 W124 is a 1990s car/ There are a few selling less than 30k in the 2nd car market. 

That's why I don't even test drive the Scirocco. I like it but I know it's going to hurt my wallet badly. And the 4 door A180 is more practical than the 2 door VW.

Anyway, I have a few noob questions about the new Honda Civic and I hope the experts here can give their best answers if possible.

1. I wanted to pump the tires today at the petrol kiosk and I checked the kpa in them were about 250. However the recommended kpa is 220 for all 4 tires as stated in the manual and the side door sticker. I even asked the SE and says 220 is good enough.

So is 220 good enough? Would it be under inflated and cause uneven wear of the tires after some time? However if I inflate to the maximum (which is about 260 kpa for the Hankook Ventus S1 Noble tyres, I believe), would the fuel consumption per litre be higher?

2. There are pedal shifts behind the steering wheel, + and -. I think there should be a sports mode to drive this car. However I am not sure how it works. Anyone can advise the steps to use them? As in engage to which gear, what speeds, etc.

1. 220kpa is probably fine. 250kpa is typically a range used when you are expecting to carry a full load of people and luggage. It may also be that KM inflated it to 250kpa for storage purposes so that there is more air to keep the tyres at acceptable pressure after extended storage.

2. Very simple, press left paddle - to shift down, right paddle + to shift up. "Just like sports car."

Most cars will accept paddle shifter input at any time as long as you are in D/S, because in N/P no gear engaged at all, so dumb thing to try. Usually when in D they will allow you to override the transmission by using the paddle, then if you leave it alone for a while it will return to 100% automatic mode.

S mode will set transmission behavior to more sporty and usually also means the manual override will be permanent until you shift out of S. i.e., when you shift to S, the transmission remains in auto mode but sporty behavior. When you press paddle while in S, it goes into full manual mode until you shift out of S. When you press paddle in D, it makes a temporary override.

But also bear in mind that since the new Civic is using a CVT, it has no real "gears" and simply attempts to emulate a set of predefined virtual ratios. Under fully automatic mode it will constantly vary the ratio on its own depending on conditions, while under manual mode it will step between pre-set ratios.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1