10th Generation Honda Civic (2016)

Carbon82

I rem back in late 2006, KM actually paid Honda Japan to destroke the R18A 1.8L to make a one of a kind 1.6L R16A for SG market. That unit eventually saw deployment in countries eg Turkey and Eypt as well, where similar nonsensical road tax structure existed as well.

The 1.6L was never a totally new design since destroking an existing engine block is a fairly simple job which many hot rodders in USA can even do in their own garages. Honda just reprogrammed the ECU to suit the destroked env.

But with the current FC Civic, this 1.6L has no more use already. To bro who has collected their Civics now, don't you agree the current Civic has grown so big that interior space is virtually the same as the current Accord?? It is even bigger than the prev gen CL7 Accord. How do u expect the 1.6L to propel the Civic ard properly...with a CVT somemore.

SG stubborn and archiac road tax structure are simply not in line with automotive tech progress. I have already said LTA should merge Cat A and B into one Cat since it has no meaning these days anyway. Premiums for both are virtually the same within each other. + - $2k is nothing at all

LTA long time ago should re-category CAT A &B, only look at the bhp regardless engine capacity, e.g.

CAT A, 160bhp and below

CAT B, 160bph above

Road tax charge based on vehicle weight and seat number instead of engine capacity

Edited by MQX87511
↡ Advertisement

1.0TC.. dunno after 70km/h still can accelerate fast or not.

Tired qq 1.2t, if u 80km/h trying to overtake at 90km/h.. cold sweat.

rly? i nvr sit in QQ before.

but since Audi A3 uses 1L turbo, i'm sure the japs wun be that far behind

LTA long time ago should re-category CAT A &B, only look at the bhp regardless engine capacity, e.g.

CAT A, 160bhp and below

CAT B, 160bph above

Road tax charge based on vehicle weight and seat number instead of engine capacity

if road tax is charged this way then probably there'll be lots of kei cars around.

The simple halogen projector headlights looks dim at night.. no very safe as compared to 1.5T full LED units.

To be clear, it may not be as bright as LED headlights but if it's passed manufacturer and national safety standards across the world, deeming it "not very safe" is merely a biased opinion.

One wonders if people have been driving into things at night in the past before the advent of HID and LED headlights?

• Praise 1

To be clear, it may not be as bright as LED headlights but if it's passed manufacturer and national safety standards across the world, deeming it "not very safe" is merely a biased opinion.

One wonders if people have been driving into things at night in the past before the advent of HID and LED headlights?

Agree.

I think halogen lamps can be very bright.

Especially the Honda Jazz with big reflectors and misaligned lights.

Aiya in future when laser lights become the norm will LED be deemed unsafe?

The simple halogen projector headlights looks dim at night.. no very safe as compared to 1.5T full LED units.

My observation the Civic RDL(running day light) on 1.6L is very bright. There is no need to turn "on" head lamp (halogen).

Singapore road has no issue with lighting during night.

That's is why many drivers don't even know they have forgotten to turn on head lamp. The cabin dashboard lighting fool the driver that everything is in order during night drive.

My observation the Civic RDL(running day light) on 1.6L is very bright. There is no need to turn "on" head lamp (halogen).

That's is why many drivers don't even know they have forgotten to turn on head lamp. The cabin dashboard lighting fool the driver that everything is in order during night drive.

The DRL is bright when headlamps are off.

Once headlamps are on, the DRL dims.

Its illegal to drive with just DRL at night.

Factory DRL are not designed for, and will not, cast any light beams on the tarmac in front. In fact, it shouldn't give any beam throws...

You still need your headlights for proper illumation.

And just like other bros have mentioned, your DRL brightness will be reduced by 1/2 once your parking lights are on.

Agree.

I think halogen lamps can be very bright.

Especially the Honda Jazz with big reflectors and misaligned lights.

Aiya in future when laser lights become the norm will LED be deemed unsafe?

Civic headlight uses a projector lens in front of the bulb. The lens will keep the light beam focused to a fairly narrow beam. ahead.

Laser headlights has still a long way to go to be adopted en masse. The cost still still very high so only top end lux cars can have them..

Perhaps one day they will be as cheap and plentiful as halogen bulbs.... prob you need to wait for China counterfeit companies to build lots of them and flood taobao with such lightning.

The counterfeit companies will force these branded companies to lower their prices soon.

LED lights appear bright when you stare directly at them.

But the lower powered ones don't cast a beam or have a long throw.

Turbocharged

1.0TC.. dunno after 70km/h still can accelerate fast or not.

Tired qq 1.2t, if u 80km/h trying to overtake at 90km/h.. cold sweat.

I was in a 1.0T Focus EcoBoost. If you push it it just goes and goes up to that speed. Can do it.

rly? i nvr sit in QQ before.

but since Audi A3 uses 1L turbo, i'm sure the japs wun be that far behind

if road tax is charged this way then probably there'll be lots of kei cars around.

A3 is 1.0 TFSI with their DCT gearbox. Pick up is fast, but go up MSCP with full load is questionable.

But jap cvt with turbo... Hmmm.

I dunno wat to say.. just gotta say QQ 1.2t didnt give me the confidence behind wheels.

But then, one man food is another man poison.

LTA long time ago should re-category CAT A &B, only look at the bhp regardless engine capacity, e.g.

CAT A, 160bhp and below

CAT B, 160bph above

There's no perfect system though I agree that the current Cat A / Cat B classification doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Still think there should be some link to OMV, though i understand the government's concern on dealers potentially trying to game the system by bringing in base spec models and locally fitting everything they can (leather seats, head unit etc).

Even though your suggestions make sense at some level, it's hard to sell politically to say that a person that buys a 6 seater Sienta or Shuttle to bring his family around should pay more road tax than a yuppie that drives a Porsche 911 and stays in a GCB with his dad, who has 3 other cars.

Edited by Fungyee77
  • Praise 1

I hate LED lights at night, especially along NSHW without lamp post stretches. Opposite direction is ok because the distance, it's those that coming from behind.

LED is so glaring until to a point that I fed up and closed my side mirrors, and duck my head to avoid the light from rear mirror when see 1 approaching. It's endangering other road users.

Night cyclist will also agree on this, especially on approaching e-scooter.

Halogen yellow light is more pleasant to the eyes (of other drivers) and yet serve the purpose for so many donkey years of automotive industry.

civic 1.0T got very bad comment from oversea media,

1. 3 cylinders caused engine imbalance variation

2. noise engine

3. High FC even worse than 1.5T

4. underpower while above 100kmp

5. cheap interior even worse than 1.5T

Is 4 and 5 of 1.0T expected to be better than 1.5T? Lol

I hate LED lights at night, especially along NSHW without lamp post stretches. Opposite direction is ok because the distance, it's those that coming from behind.

LED is so glaring until to a point that I fed up and closed my side mirrors, and duck my head to avoid the light from rear mirror when see 1 approaching. It's endangering other road users.

Night cyclist will also agree on this, especially on approaching e-scooter.

Halogen yellow light is more pleasant to the eyes (of other drivers) and yet serve the purpose for so many donkey years of automotive industry.

That means the LED light is badly designed.

Well designed LED light will not have this problem. 

Look at the BMW on the road. A lot of them used LED lights.

Halogen light is power consuming and offer less lumen than LED.

The only reason it is still serving its purpose for donkey years is SIMPLICITY.

LED requires PCB to control it.

That means the LED light is badly designed.

Well designed LED light will not have this problem.

Look at the BMW on the road. A lot of them used LED lights.

Halogen light is power consuming and offer less lumen than LED.

The only reason it is still serving its purpose for donkey years is SIMPLICITY.

LED requires PCB to control it.

Yes BMW, the blinding power sibeh jiaklat.

Besides assessing whether enough power for driver, doubt they are assessing how other road users are affected.

Yes BMW, the blinding power sibeh jiaklat.

Besides assessing whether enough power for driver, doubt they are assessing how other road users are affected.

I have no issue le.

I am also sensitive to glare

In Singapore road, it is not noticeable because the street light is so good :) sometimes can see cars able to drive around at night without switching on headlight. Not sure is it because of this reason, our eye pupils are not open up that much and the light intensity is not felt.

But if driving along pitch dark road, guided by only reflective paints/stickers at road divider, the impact of glare will be multiplied on car approaching intermittently.

Glad that don't have to bear with such road condition in singapore.

Edited by Leo22