10th Generation Honda Civic (2016)

Carbon82

Is there a lot of difference in OMV?
Where is the hatchback made?

IIRC, the last Type R was not made in Thailand, so the cost were much higher.. 

↡ Advertisement

(edited)

I drove up to KL over the weekend. I was quite surprised to see very few 10x civic on the road. In the 2 days i saw close to 10 probably and most of them were white. Heard from a friend that the turbo 1.5t have engine heating issues and hence not popular. I think JB can see more on the road. Although there is is a lot of 8th gen civic on the Malaysian road.Anyone driving 1.5t for sometime please share your experience. Thanks 

Thanks for the comments on how to make the seat higher. To answer them all

1) she o my complain front passaanger seat. Driver and rear are ok.

2) test drive normally is SE sit beside

3) No need to increase the height of the car overall. Just seat will do

4) I just need the seat to be about maybe 1.5 to 2 inches more. Something like the max of a height adjuster.

Anyone know where can help?

The low car is something bothered me when i test drove that. It is difficult for elderly parents to get in and out, 

Edited by Mali

I drove up to KL over the weekend. I was quite surprised to see very few 10x civic on the road. In the 2 days i saw close to 10 probably and most of them were white. Heard from a friend that the turbo 1.5t have engine heating issues and hence not popular. I think JB can see more on the road. Although there is is a lot of 8th gen civic on the Malaysian road.Anyone driving 1.5t for sometime please share your experience. Thanks 

The low car is something bothered me when i test drove that. It is difficult for elderly parents to get in and out, 

u r on 1.5 now?

(edited)

u r on 1.5 now?

No I am driving FD4. Still debating whether to extend of get a new one. I just test drove the 1.6 NA couple of months back.  

Edited by Mali

When u go jb u will see quite alot turbo civic with bodykit there.

If im nt wrong, their NA is not 1.6, think is 1.8

No I am driving FD4. Still debating whether to extend of get a new one. I just test drove the 1.6 NA couple of months back.  

1.5 is definitely "hotter" as compare to NA. Insofar, i havent heard of engine failure or complications related to heat.

If you have concerns about low sitting position, probably u have to explore SUV.

Neutral Newbie

Dear Senior members,

I started reading this forum when I was thinking about buying my next car about a 18 months ago. After reading, I eventually bought a 10th Gen 1.5T in Sept 2016. After my initial 1km servicing or oil change, I noticed on the dashboard reading that the "oil life" was only around 6.8km remaining. At the end, I sent my car for the 10k servicing at around 6.6km mark after the servicing advise came on the dashboard. I drove my car below 2k rpm during the first 1km "break-in" period and I don't drive my car hard at other times (usually cruise at around 2k rpm, maybe went up above 3k rpm 3 times since I bought the car), I drove my 2006, 2 litre Civic for 10 years similarly without any oil problems. I'm perplexed that I'm being prompted for a car servicing again. This time, I'll be sending in the car for servicing at around the 13.6k mark.

My question is whether it's unusual that I've to service the car every 6.8k? Any other 10th gen Civic owners experiencing this? I'll be asking the servicing guy later this week, but would also like to seek advise from the senior members here.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

With thanks :)

Dear Senior members,

I started reading this forum when I was thinking about buying my next car about a 18 months ago. After reading, I eventually bought a 10th Gen 1.5T in Sept 2016. After my initial 1km servicing or oil change, I noticed on the dashboard reading that the "oil life" was only around 6.8km remaining. At the end, I sent my car for the 10k servicing at around 6.6km mark after the servicing advise came on the dashboard. I drove my car below 2k rpm during the first 1km "break-in" period and I don't drive my car hard at other times (usually cruise at around 2k rpm, maybe went up above 3k rpm 3 times since I bought the car), I drove my 2006, 2 litre Civic for 10 years similarly without any oil problems. I'm perplexed that I'm being prompted for a car servicing again. This time, I'll be sending in the car for servicing at around the 13.6k mark.

My question is whether it's unusual that I've to service the car every 6.8k? Any other 10th gen Civic owners experiencing this? I'll be asking the servicing guy later this week, but would also like to seek advise from the senior members here.

Turbo 1.5T Oil life top up almost every 5K, not like NA model. So when vehicle prompt for Oil Life top up near/around 5k is considered 10k servicing and it continues.Pushing hard makes it top earlier or even with the S mode. Many not prepared on the Turbo engine as it is difference from NA.

• Praise 1

Neutral Newbie

Thanks Jtb for the reply. I've heard that Turbo cars need to be serviced more regularly. But the 1.5T Civic owner's manual does specify a 10k km or 6 month gap between servicing. Also noted that the "Oil Life" reading in the dashboard resets to 10k km after the initial servicing.

Anyone here driving a 1.5T have gone thru initial servicing able to share their experience here?

Thanks.

Thanks Jtb for the reply. I've heard that Turbo cars need to be serviced more regularly. But the 1.5T Civic owner's manual does specify a 10k km or 6 month gap between servicing. Also noted that the "Oil Life" reading in the dashboard resets to 10k km after the initial servicing.

Anyone here driving a 1.5T have gone thru initial servicing able to share their experience here?

Thanks.

No need send in for service lah (unless you got free one) so mah fan.  Just top-up oil yourself will do.

Not sure on your point that turbo car needs to service more often.   My A3 1.4T specifies 15000 km or 1 year service interval.  

Neutral Newbie

Thanks Zerobim08.

Noted on your point that turbos don't necessarily need to service more often.

Ya, got free servicing from Kah Motors so will just send the car in. I need to service with Kah to maintain the warranty as well.

Again, if anyone has experience with the servicing frequency of their 1.5T, do share. Thanks all.

No need send in for service lah (unless you got free one) so mah fan.  Just top-up oil yourself will do.

Not sure on your point that turbo car needs to service more often.   My A3 1.4T specifies 15000 km or 1 year service interval.  

Thanks Zerobim08.

Noted on your point that turbos don't necessarily need to service more often.

Ya, got free servicing from Kah Motors so will just send the car in. I need to service with Kah to maintain the warranty as well.

Again, if anyone has experience with the servicing frequency of their 1.5T, do share. Thanks all.

Urs reset to 10k km oil life after servicing? I went for my 1st 1000km servicing and had --- reading until a few hundred km later, where it showed 6800km remaining. Currently mileage at 3700km and my remaining oil life shown is 3800km, so my next servicing will probably be at 7k km. 

One thing I noted was getting stuck in traffic jams will significantly decrease the oil life. I was stuck in the Tuas-JB jam for a good 3 hours plus and I lost 500km of my oil life. 

Neutral Newbie

Hi BlueAndWhite (BAW),

Thank you for sharing your experience. Allow me to respond to you questions and experience in line :

BAW> Urs reset to 10k km oil life after servicing? 

Yes, after my first 10,000km servicing in Feb 17, "Oil Life" reading reset to 10,000 or 9,990km (can't quite remember). July 17 and 6.6k km later, I'm down to 200 km on my oil life.

BAW> I went for my 1st 1000km servicing and had --- reading until a few hundred km later, where it showed 6800km remaining.

After my 1st 1,000km servicing, I noticed that the reading was around 6.7 or 6.8km remaining too. I assumed that maybe the 1,000km servicing did something strange with the calculations. This is abnormality is also the reason why I paid attention to the Oil Life reading after my 10,000 km servicing in Feb 17.

BAW>  Currently mileage at 3700km and my remaining oil life shown is 3800km, so my next servicing will probably be at 7k km. 

Based on my experience, if your car usage is like mine (normal driver), probably hard to stretch to 7k km as well...  

BAW> One thing I noted was getting stuck in traffic jams will significantly decrease the oil life. I was stuck in the Tuas-JB jam for a good 3 hours plus and I lost 500km of my oil life. 

Thanks for this point, I'll take note of the Oil Life change the next time I'm stuck and traffic and feedback again.

Cheers

Welcome to the world that conti cars have been facing for years:

The service reminder.

In past days, Asian cars didn't have such a reminder, and you simply serviced dutifully or when your wallet decided so. So you have bros who extended a 2 year service plan into 3 or even more years.

Now with this new digital age, your on board computer will now remind you of the need to service and there's a risk of voiding the warranty if you ignore it.

Look up on google, terms like how to reset the service reminder and you will find lots of videos for conti cars. Cheers

Hi BlueAndWhite (BAW),

Thank you for sharing your experience. Allow me to respond to you questions and experience in line :

BAW> Urs reset to 10k km oil life after servicing? 

Yes, after my first 10,000km servicing in Feb 17, "Oil Life" reading reset to 10,000 or 9,990km (can't quite remember). July 17 and 6.6k km later, I'm down to 200 km on my oil life.

BAW> I went for my 1st 1000km servicing and had --- reading until a few hundred km later, where it showed 6800km remaining.

After my 1st 1,000km servicing, I noticed that the reading was around 6.7 or 6.8km remaining too. I assumed that maybe the 1,000km servicing did something strange with the calculations. This is abnormality is also the reason why I paid attention to the Oil Life reading after my 10,000 km servicing in Feb 17.

BAW>  Currently mileage at 3700km and my remaining oil life shown is 3800km, so my next servicing will probably be at 7k km. 

Based on my experience, if your car usage is like mine (normal driver), probably hard to stretch to 7k km as well...  

BAW> One thing I noted was getting stuck in traffic jams will significantly decrease the oil life. I was stuck in the Tuas-JB jam for a good 3 hours plus and I lost 500km of my oil life. 

Thanks for this point, I'll take note of the Oil Life change the next time I'm stuck and traffic and feedback again.

Cheers

Thanks for your inputs Ardalth. I'll take note whether it resets to 10,000 km after my next servicing. So I'm not the only one who started with 6000+ km of oil life after 1st servicing  [laugh]  Maybe heavier footers really need to service at every 5000 km for this turbo engine

Turbocharged

Dear Senior members,

First advice is to make it a bit clearer you should probably just say "1K" or say "1K km" or "1,000km" because saying "1km" and so on really makes it sound like you are literally going one kilometer only.

Because you also say you then have 6.8km remaining and now I'm not sure if you meant it said 6,800km or really 6.8km.

Anyway, the Civic I believe has a 10K servicing interval?

The oil life monitor can function through two ways;

a digital calculation based on driving habits, which is similar to what my machine does and is best used as a guide, typically it is safe to exceed the oil life monitor by a little bit.

the second method is used mainly by the more expensive continental marques with actual oil quality sensors influencing the calculation, I doubt the Civic does so.

It is possible that your Civic is requesting service not just on oil life but also on time interval, but that seems unlikely. It is also possible that something is just throwing the oil life indicator out of whack, and it is yet also possible that whoever did your 1,000km servicing didn't reset the meter - 6,800km is a very odd value for an oil life indicator to start at, unless your servicing interval is actually 5,000km.

I think your car is probably safe to go 9~10,000km between oil changes. But bear in mind that since it is a direct injected turbo, it would behave slightly differently in regards to the wear cycle, though I doubt it would be to the extent that early oil changes become the norm...

Welcome to the world that conti cars have been facing for years:

The service reminder.

In past days, Asian cars didn't have such a reminder, and you simply serviced dutifully or when your wallet decided so. So you have bros who extended a 2 year service plan into 3 or even more years.

Now with this new digital age, your on board computer will now remind you of the need to service and there's a risk of voiding the warranty if you ignore it.

Look up on google, terms like how to reset the service reminder and you will find lots of videos for conti cars. Cheers

I think most cars still use the fixed interval service (which is setup in the car system reminder if available).  Seems like bro Ardalth civic is setup with variable service schedule which is kind of confusing in singapore context where we are used to the fixed interval option.

But with prompting at ~7K for service is a bit of overkill under normal driving condition (using synthetic oil - good for 12-15K).  For those owners that didnt get the free service, it will be a pain in the wallet.

Anybody knows where can we get the shell helix ultra motor oil 0w-30 for 1.5T servicing? Seems like most places and workshops don't hold this and it will cost a bomb to go back to km every 5000km for servicing. Thanks

↡ Advertisement