10th Generation Honda Civic (2016)

Carbon82

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. The clicking sound is like something is loose. Not electronic relay. I brought the car to my usual outside mechanic and he said it sounded like something is loose. The documentation that they let me read for a bit state something about free play on the gears. But they refuse to let me have the document. If any members here with the same Honda Civic 1.6A want me to demo, I can gladly demo on my car and we see whether the same happen to your car. We can meet. Just PM me. It could be a problem with my car specifically, or a design fault that affect the whole generation of Civic 1.6A and may result in heavy repair cost in future. You got to off your sound system to hear this. I tried on the test car at Ubi and it has the same noise though less prominent and less often than my car. I bought a new car to have a peace of mind but what i am getting is a worry that I have a timebomb with me. Kah Motor Ubi said my complain is not the first but I dont think they are working on this. If you also have a Civic 1.6A and have the same problem, our collective complain will be stronger.

Appreciate the advice on trying to go to another branch. I think I will try that. Maybe the bums at Ubi are looking for excuses not to do any work. My previous cars are all Toyotas. Some are even 8 year old cars when I bought them. Not a single one has this kind of problem.

Regarding fuel consumption, it is going up and up. Same driving pattern, location etc. I understand the there will be variation but I expect fuel consumption to go up and down. This is only going one way. Up.

Thanks

What made you switch from Toyota to Honda ?
↡ Advertisement

From their advertisement in Torque Magazine, the changes are cosmetic:

1. New 1.6 Alloy Rims

2. New LED Fog Lights with Chrome Garnish

3. New Fin Antenna

Actually they should have given the auto headlights as well. I think this is a pretty useful feature which I missed from my previous car. Nowadays I still see cars with headlights switched off at night. The rest of the items in the FL version are basically just frills to me.

• Praise 1

I had 5 Toyotas previously.New and 2nd hand. Wanted a change. This gen of Civic looks decent. Driving feel is different compare to Altis. Not too ex compare to previously. But with the current problem, I think my choice was bad. Should have stayed on with Toyota. Never give me any problem before. sigh

What made you switch from Toyota to Honda ?

• Praise 1

(edited)

Just wondering which service center did you go? Are all the 4 trips to the same service center?

All in Mandai, as I stay up north. Ubi seems bigger. Alexandra not so sure.

1st trip - check but never rectify, as i no time.

2nd trip - put car whole day, I think they lub here & there, tighten here & there.

3rd trip - Problem came back, when to check again. need to replace steering rack, no stock. lead time 4 weeks.

4th trip - put car whole day. replaced steering rack. Now smooth smooth no issue.    [smash]

5th trip- put car whole day. Rectified tock sound, due to undercarriage panel not secure properly, could be due to last repair.

Hope my civic can last 10 years.....

Edited by Julio369
  • Praise 1

I had 5 Toyotas previously.New and 2nd hand. Wanted a change. This gen of Civic looks decent. Driving feel is different compare to Altis. Not too ex compare to previously. But with the current problem, I think my choice was bad. Should have stayed on with Toyota. Never give me any problem before. sigh

Toyota, but preferably MIJ.

Maybe you can join the private Civicsg forum, see if they have this issue.

http://www.civicx.sg/

Hi Julio,

Thanks for the advice. I just joined the civicx group. Dont see any forum there? 

Anyway, I first went to Ubi. They tested and then claim to know about the sound and vibration and said it is normal operation. Then I went to Dunearn. They dont have the facility to test. Then yesterday, I went to Leng Kee. Same response as Ubi. Said normal operation. Let me read the crap report and said it is normal operation. The bloody noise is getting worse. Actually, I need not press the accelerator to feel get the sound/vibration. It can come randomly, at constant speed too. But to reproduce them 100%, then I will use the accelerator. I told the manager that I want black and white from them. Not some stupid read once report and be done with it. I told them i will expect a call from their technical manager today. He promised me to do so. Lets see whether he will keep his promise.

Maybe you can also try to simulate this on your car. Off your sound system and drive slowly(30-40kmph, though this problem also exist at higher speed but easier to hear at lower speed). Press the accelerator a bit. Let go. Press a bit again. Based on the diagrams on that report, it suggest the gear is not perfectly sized or designed and when the car accelerate or decelerate, the free play will cause the gear to knock on the other and hence the sound/vibration. Gear should be perfectly sized with proper design on the tooth. Incorrect sized or designed gears wont last and will wear out in no time. I have zero confidence in Honda's engineering now. ZERO.  

I dont know how long this car will last. I am looking forward to their phone call today. 

All in Mandai, as I stay up north. Ubi seems bigger. Alexandra not so sure.

1st trip - check but never rectify, as i no time.

2nd trip - put car whole day, I think they lub here & there, tighten here & there.

3rd trip - Problem came back, when to check again. need to replace steering rack, no stock. lead time 4 weeks.

4th trip - put car whole day. replaced steering rack. Now smooth smooth no issue.    [smash]

5th trip- put car whole day. Rectified tock sound, due to undercarriage panel not secure properly, could be due to last repair.

Hope my civic can last 10 years.....

Hi Julio,

Thanks for the advice. I just joined the civicx group. Dont see any forum there?

Anyway, I first went to Ubi. They tested and then claim to know about the sound and vibration and said it is normal operation. Then I went to Dunearn. They dont have the facility to test. Then yesterday, I went to Leng Kee. Same response as Ubi. Said normal operation. Let me read the crap report and said it is normal operation. The bloody noise is getting worse. Actually, I need not press the accelerator to feel get the sound/vibration. It can come randomly, at constant speed too. But to reproduce them 100%, then I will use the accelerator. I told the manager that I want black and white from them. Not some stupid read once report and be done with it. I told them i will expect a call from their technical manager today. He promised me to do so. Lets see whether he will keep his promise.

Maybe you can also try to simulate this on your car. Off your sound system and drive slowly(30-40kmph, though this problem also exist at higher speed but easier to hear at lower speed). Press the accelerator a bit. Let go. Press a bit again. Based on the diagrams on that report, it suggest the gear is not perfectly sized or designed and when the car accelerate or decelerate, the free play will cause the gear to knock on the other and hence the sound/vibration. Gear should be perfectly sized with proper design on the tooth. Incorrect sized or designed gears wont last and will wear out in no time. I have zero confidence in Honda's engineering now. ZERO.

I dont know how long this car will last. I am looking forward to their phone call today.

I only experience some subtle woo woo sound, but I think is from the CVT.

Other than that, if cruising at expressway, if rpm falls below 1500, sometimes you can feel a Light jerk from gearbox when lift off the accelerator.

I got put this in the sgcarmart review...some other guy review also got mention.

So far i just live with it, as the pickup and cruising is still smooth.

Got 5 years warranty, so still got some time.

Anyway, my next car problaly must be MIJ.

Other than that, if cruising at expressway, if rpm falls below 1500, sometimes you can feel a Light jerk from gearbox when lift off the accelerator.

I got put this in the sgcarmart review...some other guy review also got mention.

I have the same jerking issue from the CVT too. Like what you mentioned, a light tap on the accelerator while cruising will produce a jerk. I thought it was just the CVT hunting for the correct gear, or the torque convertor engaging. Perhaps it could be something to do with the lockup clutch also since it only happens when the car is at the highest possible ratio.

Hypersonic

Huh. So lousy car until Honda usa sold 320k civics last year.

Honda been building cvt transmissions for almost twenty years. How many jazz still running in their original cvt transmission until scrap.

Gear will fall out? Lol

• Praise 1

Hypersonic

This occasional jerking in cvt seems to be mostly in low speeds.

Logically speaking it's most likely the forward clutch disengaging? Computer related? Otherwise the problem should be easily replicated if its a mechanical problem.

Have to Google if other brands cvt users also complain. Unfortunately some people don't put their car models. It's an occasional complaint noted by some cvt users. Hwz also has one thread on 2011 about this. But the TS didn't say what model

Logically speaking it's most likely the forward clutch disengaging? Computer related? Otherwise the problem should be easily replicated if its a mechanical problem.

Have to Google if other brands cvt users also complain. Unfortunately some people don't put their car models. It's an occasional complaint noted by some cvt users. Hwz also has one thread on 2011 about this. But the TS didn't say what model

Hi, the occasional jerking seems to occur the most to me at the 70km/h mark. It is kind of irritating but I guess as long as there are no direct safety implications, it is not something that I cannot live with. For now...

• Praise 1

(edited)

Just to check for those driving the 1.5T civic, so far ur spouse didn’t complaint sitting behind the engine is noisy? Haha I test drove the 1.5T 3 times. 1st time was at AD the other 2 times was on used car. In the end wife keep complaining then in the end I didn’t get to buy it regardless new or used. No matter how I explain still cannot convince her.. Lol.. That was like few months back.

Edited by JX83
  • Praise 1

Just to check for those driving the 1.5T civic, so far ur spouse didnât complaint sitting behind the engine is noisy? Haha I test drove the 1.5T 3 times. 1st time was at AD the other 2 times was on used car. In the end wife keep complaining then in the end I didnât get to buy it regardless new or used. No matter how I explain still cannot convince her.. Lol.. That was like few months back.

It is a turbo car bro....先斩后揍! ;)
  • Praise 1

(edited)

Just to check for those driving the 1.5T civic, so far ur spouse didnât complaint sitting behind the engine is noisy? Haha I test drove the 1.5T 3 times. 1st time was at AD the other 2 times was on used car. In the end wife keep complaining then in the end I didnât get to buy it regardless new or used. No matter how I explain still cannot convince her.. Lol.. That was like few months back.

It depends on the type of wife you have...

Mine loves it... Besides the sound, the torque pull also she like...

Edited by Vironix
  • Praise 3

That’s the sound of turbo engine. This few months saw the COE climbed by $13k and car price has gone up in tandem. Now even more difficult to convince your spouse.
  • Praise 3

Subaru XV also jerks..
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2