10th Generation Honda Civic (2016)

Carbon82

On 12/27/2019 at 10:36 PM, B_goh88 said:

I'll be likely placing an order for the 1.6 civic tomorrow, after comparing the Mazda 3, Toyota Altis 2020, Kia Cerato. Nissan will only bring in the Sylphy in 2021.

Like the Mazda 3 but the back seat space is rather small and not comfortable. However, the Civic don't come with the HUD, lane assist, auto head light. Not sure what is the cost for adding on these safety features. There are after market from China selling at a very attractive price. If I add these after market will my warranty void? 

If safety is your concern, you shouldn't even be looking at civic 1.6 cause it only has 2 airbags to begin with and it will not save your rear passengers. 

At least the 1.5 turbo civic has 6 airbags. 

Edited by ferrytales
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

24 minutes ago, ferrytales said:

If safety is your concern, you shouldn't even be looking at civic 1.6 cause it only has 2 airbags to begin with and it will not save your rear passengers. 

Honestly speaking, whether it be 2 airbags or 100 airbags, nothing is going to guarantee saving any passengers. It depends on the accident, since every accident is different. 

More airbags in theory decreases the chances of injury across a wider range of accidents, but also can create more chances of injury as well (just look at the whole Takata airbag problems). 

Edited by GTO-1

28 minutes ago, GTO-1 said:

Honestly speaking, whether it be 2 airbags or 100 airbags, nothing is going to guarantee saving any passengers. It depends on the accident, since every accident is different. 

More airbags in theory decreases the chances of injury across a wider range of accidents, but also can create more chances of injury as well (just look at the whole Takata airbag problems). 

Yup there is no guarantee. Nothing is guaranteed in this world. I do like to point out the Takata airbag problems have nothing to do with airbags protection in theory. Is just bad design in deployment. 

Sadly, if not for the tax structure of our car system and the greed of some dealers we wouldn't be getting lowly spec-ed safety systems that are standard and requirement in some countries. 

• Praise 2

1 hour ago, GTO-1 said:

I see, might as well sell a car with no airbags just like in the past then. What ncap safety since its useless right, just go without any safety features. Agreed its the greed of some sellers whom just wanna maximise profits by removing whatever they can cause people will still buy based on the brand. 

Edited by ferrytales
  • Praise 2
  • Haha! 1

6 hours ago, ferrytales said:

I see, might as well sell a car with no airbags just like in the past then. What ncap safety since its useless right, just go without any safety features. Agreed its the greed of some sellers whom just wanna maximise profits by removing whatever they can cause people will still buy based on the brand. 

Airbags is one safety variable. But it's naive to believe that more airbags alone will save your passengers, since every accident is different. 

Ratings like Ncap provide a bit more holistic view of safety.  So I would put more weighting on those ratings than just "airbag count". 

• Praise 1

10 hours ago, ferrytales said:

I believe it can be done only when the government view it as priority. 

You don't see one travelling in a less safe aircraft if one is flying budget airlines. 

If cost really matters, not sure if it is possible to exclude all safety systems cost from OMW. That way dealers have no reason to complain cost too high to bring it in. But knowing how dealers maximize profits like how they had been doing with the VES rebates..🤔

15 hours ago, ferrytales said:

What if he is single with no family?

On 12/27/2019 at 10:36 PM, B_goh88 said:

I'll be likely placing an order for the 1.6 civic tomorrow, after comparing the Mazda 3, Toyota Altis 2020, Kia Cerato. Nissan will only bring in the Sylphy in 2021.

Like the Mazda 3 but the back seat space is rather small and not comfortable. However, the Civic don't come with the HUD, lane assist, auto head light. Not sure what is the cost for adding on these safety features. There are after market from China selling at a very attractive price. If I add these after market will my warranty void? 

Get the mz6 lo. Problem solved

Did you consider A200 hatchback ? 
full airbags, LKAS, forward collision, MB brand, Cat B coe now so close to Cat A makes it even worth it

price 13xK-14xk

Price higher la 

8 hours ago, vinmig said:

Did you consider A200 hatchback ? 
full airbags, LKAS, forward collision, MB brand, Cat B coe now so close to Cat A makes it even worth it

price 13xK-14xk

Price higher la 

Renault engine. 

On ‎12‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 3:04 PM, Kia7200 said:

Get the mz6 lo. Problem solved

Almost order the Mazda 6 the different is only 20K, but end didn't cos I don't need a big car as more than 95% of the time only me in the car. 2 air bags are good enough for me.

Why I'm getting a new car cos  had an accident 3 months ago and my Sylphy with 2 air bags was total lost. No major injury, just a small abrasion on my left arm due to the air bag.

• Praise 2

On ‎12‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 9:07 AM, GTO-1 said:

Auto headlights and safety features like Honda sensing you can't retrofit. Definitely with Honda sensing (eg Lane assist) it's a pretty fundamental feature to the car and requires software upgrades and several parts.  You may as well use a PI to import a civic with sensing if you really want it. Besides, do you really trust a China 3rd party retrofit kit bought off Taobao, to control and brake your car?. I wouldn't. Closest you can get is the ADAS features of the dashcam, but they are annoying. Auto headlights I've never seen a retrofit kit. 

Funnily enough I have seen a aftermarket hud for the civic that integrates into the dash. It uses the obd2 port for data, but is a retrofit kit. I've seen it on Taobao. But remember these kits are designed for a LHD car for the China Market, so you may find it doesn't fit for our RHD market. 

The safety features such as auto headlight, lane change warning can be retrofitted easily. I've done it on my Sylphy. For the auto headlight there is a control box and a light sensor. You need to pull out the car light switch and wire and connect them to the control box.  Once the sensor detected low light the headlight will switch on.

The  lane change warning is just a totally separate system where there are two sensors you fit on the rear bumper and the warning lights are on the side mirror. Kia Cerato comes with this feature.

Yes, you are right on the HUD, there are integrated on to the dash, the cover that comes with it is for LHD. The unit will work but the cover can't fit to our RHD.

On ‎12‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 1:49 PM, Davidtkl said:

What if he is single with no family?

You are right! more than 95% I'm the only one in the car.

On ‎12‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 7:27 AM, GTO-1 said:

Airbags is one safety variable. But it's naive to believe that more airbags alone will save your passengers, since every accident is different. 

Ratings like Ncap provide a bit more holistic view of safety.  So I would put more weighting on those ratings than just "airbag count". 

Air bags are safety feature but it can also injure you. It happened to me just 3 months ago. Just a small abrasion on me left arm due to the air bag.

On ‎12‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 10:42 PM, ferrytales said:

I did think about getting the 1.5T but with this price I can get the Mazda 6. I'm not a fast driver anyway. Especially after I saw an accident happened right in front of me. That man was killed the moment when the taxi hit him. That's why I want a HUD so that I know the speed I'm driving and I don't speed.

Edited by B_goh88
change some word

Twincharged
On 12/29/2019 at 7:27 AM, GTO-1 said:

Agree airbag is only one variable, but it is one of the  "protective" variable

Airbag causing injuries should not be taken out of context, because airbags are meant to limit the direct impact

Same issue with altis previously, earlier batches (in 2013) only had 2 airbags and was a common concern and now it has 6 airbags

Most of us would prefer to have 6 airbags vs 2 airbags, but its a personal choice, no right or wrong. Hopefully civic will have more in future too. Its a good car to drive.  

• Praise 3

Twincharged
56 minutes ago, B_goh88 said:

Almost order the Mazda 6 the different is only 20K, but end didn't cos I don't need a big car as more than 95% of the time only me in the car. 2 air bags are good enough for me.

Why I'm getting a new car cos  had an accident 3 months ago and my Sylphy with 2 air bags was total lost. No major injury, just a small abrasion on my left arm due to the air bag.

Mazda 6 around 105-110k?

For singles or couples without children, civic better in zooming around town and for parking

Mazda 6 more luxurious inside, cornering and handling better and more sturdy, but it is so much longer, noiser, and heavier tax

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3