10th Generation Honda Civic (2016)

Carbon82

39 minutes ago, car50 said:

Mazda 6 around 105-110k?

For singles or couples without children, civic better in zooming around town and for parking

Mazda 6 more luxurious inside, cornering and handling better and more sturdy, but it is so much longer, noiser, and heavier tax

Actually, the Civic has got more interior space than the Mazda 6.

↡ Advertisement

42 minutes ago, car50 said:

Mazda 6 around 105-110k?

For singles or couples without children, civic better in zooming around town and for parking

Mazda 6 more luxurious inside, cornering and handling better and more sturdy, but it is so much longer, noiser, and heavier tax

Mazda 6 2.0 was sub 100k for a short period around the 95k+ range. 

• Praise 1

1 hour ago, B_goh88 said:

The safety features such as auto headlight, lane change warning can be retrofitted easily. I've done it on my Sylphy. For the auto headlight there is a control box and a light sensor. You need to pull out the car light switch and wire and connect them to the control box.  Once the sensor detected low light the headlight will switch on.

The  lane change warning is just a totally separate system where there are two sensors you fit on the rear bumper and the warning lights are on the side mirror. Kia Cerato comes with this feature.

Yes, you are right on the HUD, there are integrated on to the dash, the cover that comes with it is for LHD. The unit will work but the cover can't fit to our RHD.

I won't debate the auto headlights, since retrofitting seems simpler than most subsystems. Still would be a relatively complex piece of work for what it's worth, especially given the auto headlights integrates into the ICE unit for Honda's (ie, the settings to determine sensitivity)

For Honda Sensing, it's alot more complex than just a couple of sensors.  We're not talking blind spot monitoring, which I know can be retrofitted and is a matter of a couple of sensors and leds in the wing mirrors. We're talking about full software and hardware (cameras, sensors, gyros in steering wheel etc).  Even if you could retrofit it (which you can't - I've checked), the amount of work and parts would be far more than just buying a model with it preinstalled. 

5 hours ago, B_goh88 said:

Almost order the Mazda 6 the different is only 20K, but end didn't cos I don't need a big car as more than 95% of the time only me in the car. 2 air bags are good enough for me.

Why I'm getting a new car cos  had an accident 3 months ago and my Sylphy with 2 air bags was total lost. No major injury, just a small abrasion on my left arm due to the air bag.

Since u r alone most of the time, mz3 should be suitable for u.

I find the new mz3 interior is one of the best in its class

4 hours ago, car50 said:

Mazda 6 around 105-110k?

I was quoted 113K can go down some more and its not the base model. Moreover I'm not willing to spend that additional 20K as I planning to retire in 5 to 10 years time.

Edited by B_goh88
added more info
  • Praise 1

13 minutes ago, Kia7200 said:

Since u r alone most of the time, mz3 should be suitable for u.

I find the new mz3 interior is one of the best in its class

Yes, but the 5% of the time I bring my parent out and they have tried the mz3 and they find too small for them, more over they are in their 80s, I just want them to have that little comfort when I bring them out.

• Praise 1

3 hours ago, GTO-1 said:

I won't debate the auto headlights, since retrofitting seems simpler than most subsystems. Still would be a relatively complex piece of work for what it's worth, especially given the auto headlights integrates into the ICE unit for Honda's (ie, the settings to determine sensitivity)

For Honda Sensing, it's alot more complex than just a couple of sensors.  We're not talking blind spot monitoring, which I know can be retrofitted and is a matter of a couple of sensors and leds in the wing mirrors. We're talking about full software and hardware (cameras, sensors, gyros in steering wheel etc).  Even if you could retrofit it (which you can't - I've checked), the amount of work and parts would be far more than just buying a model with it preinstalled. 

Honda Sensing is a very complex system that it not worth retrofitting even it can be done. What I need are blind spot monitoring, HUD to know my speed without looking at the instrument panel, auto headlight for my laziness to switch on and off every time I enter multi-storey car parks and expressway tunnels. TPMS - had a few bad experiences with my previous car. 

17 minutes ago, B_goh88 said:

Yes, but the 5% of the time I bring my parent out and they have tried the mz3 and they find too small for them, more over they are in their 80s, I just want them to have that little comfort when I bring them out.

Ok understood. Have they tried civic? I find it too low for elderly to enter

28 minutes ago, B_goh88 said:

A bit of space and easy egress for elderly?

try the 1.4t Suzuki Vitara... zippy too

13 minutes ago, Kia7200 said:

Ok understood. Have they tried civic? I find it too low for elderly to enter

Yes, they tired both and I asked them do they have any problem with the civic height. They are OK with it.

5 minutes ago, therock said:

A bit of space and easy egress for elderly?

try the 1.4t Suzuki Vitara... zippy too

Me and my parent somehow prefer Sedan. So the choice are limited. Anyway, I've already put down the down payment for the Civic 1.6.

Edited by B_goh88
add more
  • Praise 2

Saw this in the TB site, not sure anyone use this before Singapore. The photo showed SG car and the HUD is able to reflect the GPS direction

HUD.jpg

7 hours ago, B_goh88 said:

Honda Sensing is a very complex system that it not worth retrofitting even it can be done. What I need are blind spot monitoring, HUD to know my speed without looking at the instrument panel, auto headlight for my laziness to switch on and off every time I enter multi-storey car parks and expressway tunnels. TPMS - had a few bad experiences with my previous car. 

I find lanewatch better than BSM. BSM isn't infallible and sometimes doesn't detect motorcycles and fast moving cars.

Lanewatch on Honda's actually let's you see with your own eyes what is coming. It's not amazing at night with glare, but it works better than BSM. Of course only works one side, but I use Lanewatch and check myself when changing lanes.  Double protection. 

You can retrofit lanewatch. They sell kits on Taobao, but again LHD car. 

Personally I would fork out the extra for the 1.5T, since it comes with all those features you want except HUD and just is a better car. But of course it's your money. 

7 hours ago, B_goh88 said:

Me and my parent somehow prefer Sedan. So the choice are limited. Anyway, I've already put down the down payment for the Civic 1.6.

Good car and good decision anyway, dont have to justify your purchase. All the best and  hope you will enjoy your new ride soon.

5 hours ago, GTO-1 said:

I find lanewatch better than BSM. BSM isn't infallible and sometimes doesn't detect motorcycles and fast moving cars.

Lanewatch on Honda's actually let's you see with your own eyes what is coming. It's not amazing at night with glare, but it works better than BSM. Of course only works one side, but I use Lanewatch and check myself when changing lanes.  Double protection. 

Personally I would fork out the extra for the 1.5T, since it comes with all those features you want except HUD and just is a better car. But of course it's your money. 

True, I'm still considering to install the BSM or install 2 camera on each side of the wing mirror and connect them to a LCD. Saw the lanewatch kit in TB for LHD.

There are a lot of camera system for car in TB.

13 hours ago, GTO-1 said:

Blind-spot sensors are actually not useful unless the wing mirrors are pathetically designed or adjusted.

I don't understand why our driving schools actually teach newbies to adjust the wing mirrors so that 1/3 of their own car's backside is visible in the wing mirror.

I mean, that 1/3 of your own car's backside isn't going to jump out and surprise you when you're switching lanes right? Good luck telling that to the traffic police when you get involved in a traffic accident where you buang a motorcycle because you failed to check your blind spot. "I'm sorry officer, I have to keep 1/3 of my own car's backside in the wing mirror because I'm constantly worried it will jump out and surprise me during lane change one day."

Which is why, even though my car has BSM, I actually do not rely on it too much. I prefer visual confirmation with a well-adjusted wing mirror plus a quick flick of the head and eye. I actually find that I often spot that motorcyclist in the wing mirror a split second before the BSM indicator light even comes on.

• Praise 1

Twincharged
On 1/2/2020 at 9:41 PM, DK3410 said:

Blind-spot sensors are actually not useful unless the wing mirrors are pathetically designed or adjusted.

I don't understand why our driving schools actually teach newbies to adjust the wing mirrors so that 1/3 of their own car's backside is visible in the wing mirror.

I mean, that 1/3 of your own car's backside isn't going to jump out and surprise you when you're switching lanes right? Good luck telling that to the traffic police when you get involved in a traffic accident where you buang a motorcycle because you failed to check your blind spot. "I'm sorry officer, I have to keep 1/3 of my own car's backside in the wing mirror because I'm constantly worried it will jump out and surprise me during lane change one day."

Which is why, even though my car has BSM, I actually do not rely on it too much. I prefer visual confirmation with a well-adjusted wing mirror plus a quick flick of the head and eye. I actually find that I often spot that motorcyclist in the wing mirror a split second before the BSM indicator light even comes on.

Agree with points raised

However, For some drivers BSM is still useful, especially on long drive when one is drifting out or drivers who are not usually alert

For some, it can be irritating as it bleeps when other cars come close

• Praise 3

15 minutes ago, car50 said:

Agree with points raised

However, For some drivers BSM is still useful, especially on long drive when one is drifting out or drivers who are not usually alert

For some, it can be irritating as it bleeps when other cars come close

Any safety feature is great as a supplemental tool to basic driver habits and awareness. 

For example, using lanewatch/bsm in addition to checking rear mirror and blindspots by physically looking AND indicating for 3 seconds. 

Problems arise when drivers use it as a primary tool, or worse, using it as a supplementary tool without doing the primary checks. 

↡ Advertisement