Carbon82

10th Generation Honda Civic (2016)

5th Gear (edited)

LTA long time ago should re-category CAT A &B, only look at the bhp regardless engine capacity, e.g.

CAT A, 160bhp and below

CAT B, 160bph above

Road tax charge based on vehicle weight and seat number instead of engine capacity

There's no perfect system though I agree that the current Cat A / Cat B classification doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Still think there should be some link to OMV, though i understand the government's concern on dealers potentially trying to game the system by bringing in base spec models and locally fitting everything they can (leather seats, head unit etc).

Even though your suggestions make sense at some level, it's hard to sell politically to say that a person that buys a 6 seater Sienta or Shuttle to bring his family around should pay more road tax than a yuppie that drives a Porsche 911 and stays in a GCB with his dad, who has 3 other cars.

Edited by Fungyee77
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

2nd Gear

To be clear, it may not be as bright as LED headlights but if it's passed manufacturer and national safety standards across the world, deeming it "not very safe" is merely a biased opinion.

One wonders if people have been driving into things at night in the past before the advent of HID and LED headlights?

I hate LED lights at night, especially along NSHW without lamp post stretches. Opposite direction is ok because the distance, it's those that coming from behind.

LED is so glaring until to a point that I fed up and closed my side mirrors, and duck my head to avoid the light from rear mirror when see 1 approaching. It's endangering other road users.

Night cyclist will also agree on this, especially on approaching e-scooter.

Halogen yellow light is more pleasant to the eyes (of other drivers) and yet serve the purpose for so many donkey years of automotive industry.

civic 1.0T got very bad comment from oversea media,

1. 3 cylinders caused engine imbalance variation

2. noise engine

3. High FC even worse than 1.5T

4. underpower while above 100kmp

5. cheap interior even worse than 1.5T

Is 4 and 5 of 1.0T expected to be better than 1.5T? Lol

Supersonic

I hate LED lights at night, especially along NSHW without lamp post stretches. Opposite direction is ok because the distance, it's those that coming from behind.

LED is so glaring until to a point that I fed up and closed my side mirrors, and duck my head to avoid the light from rear mirror when see 1 approaching. It's endangering other road users.

Night cyclist will also agree on this, especially on approaching e-scooter.

Halogen yellow light is more pleasant to the eyes (of other drivers) and yet serve the purpose for so many donkey years of automotive industry.

That means the LED light is badly designed.

Well designed LED light will not have this problem. 

Look at the BMW on the road. A lot of them used LED lights.

Halogen light is power consuming and offer less lumen than LED.

The only reason it is still serving its purpose for donkey years is SIMPLICITY.

LED requires PCB to control it.

2nd Gear

That means the LED light is badly designed.

Well designed LED light will not have this problem.

Look at the BMW on the road. A lot of them used LED lights.

Halogen light is power consuming and offer less lumen than LED.

The only reason it is still serving its purpose for donkey years is SIMPLICITY.

LED requires PCB to control it.

Yes BMW, the blinding power sibeh jiaklat.

Besides assessing whether enough power for driver, doubt they are assessing how other road users are affected.

Supersonic

Yes BMW, the blinding power sibeh jiaklat.

Besides assessing whether enough power for driver, doubt they are assessing how other road users are affected.

I have no issue le.

I am also sensitive to glare

2nd Gear (edited)

In Singapore road, it is not noticeable because the street light is so good :) sometimes can see cars able to drive around at night without switching on headlight. Not sure is it because of this reason, our eye pupils are not open up that much and the light intensity is not felt.

But if driving along pitch dark road, guided by only reflective paints/stickers at road divider, the impact of glare will be multiplied on car approaching intermittently.

Glad that don't have to bear with such road condition in singapore.

Edited by Leo22

4th Gear

I have no issue le.

I am also sensitive to glare

Your rear view and side mirrors got auto dimming?

Supersonic

Your rear view and side mirrors got auto dimming?

Only rear.  Side no have.

A well designed LED headlight should only shine on the road.

A badly designed headlight are like those HID on FD.  LTA even fail to find it illegal.

Clutched

anyone collecting your civic next week or next next week? my is EST collection date is  on 14 feb, bought during early dec. long wait..

Twincharged

Another positive review of the 1.0T:

The reviewer actually likes the interior material..

I agree with the comments on the solid legroom and lower hip point..

5th Gear

There's no perfect system though I agree that the current Cat A / Cat B classification doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Still think there should be some link to OMV, though i understand the government's concern on dealers potentially trying to game the system by bringing in base spec models and locally fitting everything they can (leather seats, head unit etc).

Even though your suggestions make sense at some level, it's hard to sell politically to say that a person that buys a 6 seater Sienta or Shuttle to bring his family around should pay more road tax than a yuppie that drives a Porsche 911 and stays in a GCB with his dad, who has 3 other cars.

talk about road tax, the most significant factor should be engine horsepower instead of engine capacity, nowadays as the TC and SC widely applied in engines, even small engine can output much high power than before.

Clutched

Would like to check, if I take 1 year servicingredients instead of 3 years by kah motor. How much discount will I get?

Clutched

How is the FC for the 1.6 civic, esp when compared with newer engine M3 1.5 and Elantra 1.6?

Any idea is the 1.0T will be coming to Singapore anytime soon to replace the 1.6?

Turbocharged

any idea when the hatchback version available?...

5th Gear

civic 1.0T got very bad comment from oversea media,

1. 3 cylinders caused engine imbalance variation

2. noise engine

3. High FC even worse than 1.5T

5. cheap interior even worse than 1.5T

Consumers and experts are now beginning to realize there is a limit on how much you can downsize

Many tiny forced fed engines nowadays actually consumed way more fuel than their manufacturers claimed.

Eg, Ford 1L and 1.5L Ecoboost, Boost yes, but eco....ermmm..... During light load they are still quite ok, but drive it hard, or step more on the gas pedal becos you have a full load, and you will see exactly how fuel saving these tiny engines are in real life.

Will Honda's own tiny 1L engine suffered the same fate, well... we will know soon enough

As a rule, if the car was designed for say a 2L engine, downsizing to 1.5 or 1.6L T is the best balancing between big power and fuel savings. If the car was designed for say 3L- 3.5L V6. A 2.0T 4 cyln would be ideal

Obviously ran out of horsepower. big HP is needed for in speed accerlation and to maintain the car at speed. Torque is for acceleration. Both need to work hand in hand together.  

There is only that much a 120hp tiny 1L engine can do at speed.

any idea when the hatchback version available?...

Gotta wait for Thailand plant to tool up first. Coming soon.

But drivetrain will be the same as sedan version ie.... 1.5T... no news if Thailand Honda will offer a 6MT for the Civic hatchback

http://paultan.org/2017/02/06/2017-honda-civic-hatchback-teased-for-thailand/

Turbocharged

Another positive review of the 1.0T:

The reviewer actually likes the interior material..

I agree with the comments on the solid legroom and lower hip point..

This hatchback is made in Swindon, UK. Let's see if Kah Motors bringing this model.

Neutral Newbie

Hi all. Just booked my 1.5T today. Please add me to the whatsapp group thanks

Neutral Newbie

Upz

Hi. Pls add me to the group. 82836195 thx
↡ Advertisement