SG Presidential Election 2016/17!

Yewheng

who is Singapore first elected president?  

150 members have voted

1. 1. who is Singapore first elected president?

• Wee Kim Wee
    • Ong Teng Cheong
    • S R Nathan
    • Yusof Ishak

So we're going to have a zhar bor president before the "enlightened" US? [laugh]

There is no matter of which country is more "enlightened". Clinton had, on many occasions, tried to make it look like an issue of gender ("18 million cracks in the glass ceiling" speech) when her defeat this time round has nothing to do with gender.

Let's not make it an issue of gender when there isn't any.

Let's not make it an issue of race when there isn't any, too.

• Praise 3

There is no matter of which country is more "enlightened". Clinton had, on many occasions, tried to make it look like an issue of gender ("18 million cracks in the glass ceiling" speech) when her defeat this time round has nothing to do with gender.

Let's not make it an issue of gender when there isn't any.

Let's not make it an issue of race when there isn't any, too.

The thing I love most about the pro-gahmen people is how highly developed their sense of humour is, and their ability to recognise things they shouldn't take too seriously. Well done. :D

OT a bit here. Almost everything has issue nowadays.... mrt, education, health care, COE (hot thread), race, religion, presidential election, ..... even cock. Recent news.... wild cocks made its morning calls got executed..... ppl have become very non-tolerant. Blame it on the society and ..... who to be responsible for a society like that ??
  • Praise 2

To be fair, I think race IS an issue. There may come a time when people vote on racial lines, exactly as how the government narrative goes in justifying this constitutional amendment.

But not now, and not when this 2017 election is concerned.

I think there is merit in PM's argument that he doesn't want to kick the can down the road, and make the amendment sooner rather than later so that this racial safeguard will always be in place.

But then, timing of the mechanism being triggered becomes the issue. Why count from WKW and not OTC? This is the exact point that WP is trying to drive at. Unfortunately they aren't good enough to pull across the point strongly enough.

• Praise 1

Yesterday, over dinner, I hear from a fren, he tio recall for election duties. Next week need to report for one day of training. :o

He is just a IT lab technician in one of the school.

Wow, gov fast hand and leg. [shocked]  Looks like the show will go on.

Want talk then talk about the next Prime minister. When is it going to be a non Chinese.

Talk so much about electing other races for President for what? Already got one Malay, Peranakan and Indian liao. The President seat is always open to all races.

Must set the race first for the next President? As long as the person is capable and can do actual work to help the citizens, even the person has to question the current policies, it doesn't matter what race who the next President is.

Whatever happened to meritocracy, regardless of race that brings equality to every Singaporean for the past 50 years?

Bloody nonsense.

• Praise 1

Maybe next amendment will be only current candidate from the winning political party can be elected president. [laugh] Like that how? :mellow:

No self respecting leader of any race will want to be part of such a "reserved" election.

No professional who made it on his/her own merits will want their name sullied for wanting to be seen as "winning" this way.

No malay who opposes such racial politics will take part.

No malay who opposes the PAP style will take part.

That leaves who?

I give you. . Madam president. .

• Praise 3

No self respecting leader of any race will want to be part of such a "reserved" election.

No professional who made it on his/her own merits will want their name sullied for wanting to be seen as "winning" this way.

That leaves who?

What if someone contests, wins , takes over the presidency then resigns right away in protest?   :D Counted as one malay president?

Can still contest the next election on even grounds?

highly doubt such thing will happen here.

Even Dollar Triumph who unexpectedly won is trying very hard to hold on it.  [laugh]

What if someone contests, wins , takes over the presidency then resigns right away in protest?   :D Counted as one malay president?

What if someone contests, wins , takes over the presidency then resigns right away in protest? :D Counted as one malay president?

Second place to take over?

If the second place is "undesirable/inconvenient" from the govt pov. Maybe just declare revote. . Then hopefully the preferred candidate whoever she may be can win?

Bigger question is why no second round voting in the event no candidate has a clear 50% majority.

We all know current president would have lost to TCB in a one to one race. Half past 6.

• Praise 1

That leaves who?

If she win, no need stay HDB liao.

[laugh]

• Praise 1

post-131345-0-31523000-1486979311.jpg

vote for independent candidate staff69.

i stop all increase by using my executive orders

Edited by Staff69
  • Praise 3

That leaves who?

Lol.... u have too much faith in humanity.

You think prez salary 2.5k/mth is it?

Even if not for money i imagine the social status is quite a pull...

• Praise 2

That leaves who?

You forgot Ooi Boon Ewe...

redwire-singapore-ooi-boon-ewe.jpg

Lol.... u have too much faith in humanity.

You think prez salary 2.5k/mth is it?

Even if not for money i imagine the social status is quite a pull...

I second that...

Edited by Alheych
↡ Advertisement