2015 Sep, 2nd COE Bidding Exercise

yo2020

Analyse so much to buy cheaper, what else.

Anymore field report on the showrooms during last weekend?

With STI support broken, will we see lesser traffic this weekend?

↡ Advertisement

Analyse so much to buy cheaper, what else.

Anymore field report on the showrooms during last weekend?

With STI support broken, will we see lesser traffic this weekend?

I went to LengKee last week (Also signed on for Altis)

Both Kia(C&C) & Toyota (BM) have a lot people.

VW was quiet though :X

• Praise 1

$6k salary is very safe already..

The golden rules...try not to spend more than 2/3 of your salary for car.

2/3 of $6k.....is about $4k per month for car....very safe...

2/3.. lol I must be doing it wrongly.

Those 5k and below buy new car.. unless if rich parents help, arbo is courting own death while seriously sacrificing other aspects of life just to have a private transport in SG.

Nowadays brand new Japanese car monthly maintenance based on 40-50% downpayment, $400 petrol + misc already aprox $1800 at least. If kena accident is jitao no money repair lol

• Praise 1

COE price very high I agree.

Car a need for Singaporeans for family and work purpose I disagree.

As always depends on how you define a need doesn't it?

There is also no need for parents to be home before 9pm at night (yes, public transport takes me an hour plus to get home, vs 30 minutes in car)

And there is no need for parents to take their primbary school kids to school either - its perfectly adequate to let them walk alone because mummy or daddy needs to catch their own bus at 7 am to be on time (yes, to be on time for work I need to leave home at 7am)

And I didn't need to go to Parkway Parade yesterday to pick up a book for my daughter's piano lesson (she needed the book, local shops didn't have - to go to PP by Bus would be another 1 hour plus each way)

And I don't need to go to Bukit Batok for extra training for my other daughters TKD competition (a 90 minute journey by bus, class finishes at 9:30)

And we don't need to drive as a family to Amoy street for M.I.L favourite Kah Soh noodles (it's perfectly adequate nutrition to have economic rice from downstairs the block)

I fully agree - none of these things are needs - there are plenty of alternatives, I could get them done by bus, they are all "first world needs".

Are any of them extravagent or unreasonably entitled?

It really depends on what you expect out of life or want for yourself and your family - and what sort of city you are building. Everything is relative.

When I was growing up - there was no such thing as Piano Lessons - TKD training simply wasn't available (but Karate was, a 40 minute drive away each way)

Other things that aren't needs would include Parent in laws having their own bedroom when they stay with you - why cannot just put two mattresses in one room and share? Or boy + girl siblings each having their own room - what you mean sleep is different in own room?

Simply put - life is significantly better with a car, that doesn't make it a "need" and neither does it mean the government "has to provide".

It does mean that hard decisions have to be taken, and questions must be asked when building the transport network and we can't simply settle for -

"Bah - you don't need an efficient and convenient way to get around"

• Praise 7

You do realise that other than bus/mrt, there is taxi and uber available in Singapore and that using these will still cheaper than having your own car.

A lot of your other needs below can be fulfilled a lot better using taxi/uber. Mayber not as convenient as your own car but close enough.

As always depends on how you define a need doesn't it?

There is also no need for parents to be home before 9pm at night (yes, public transport takes me an hour plus to get home, vs 30 minutes in car)

And there is no need for parents to take their primbary school kids to school either - its perfectly adequate to let them walk alone because mummy or daddy needs to catch their own bus at 7 am to be on time (yes, to be on time for work I need to leave home at 7am)

And I didn't need to go to Parkway Parade yesterday to pick up a book for my daughter's piano lesson (she needed the book, local shops didn't have - to go to PP by Bus would be another 1 hour plus each way)

And I don't need to go to Bukit Batok for extra training for my other daughters TKD competition (a 90 minute journey by bus, class finishes at 9:30)

And we don't need to drive as a family to Amoy street for M.I.L favourite Kah Soh noodles (it's perfectly adequate nutrition to have economic rice from downstairs the block)

I fully agree - none of these things are needs - there are plenty of alternatives, I could get them done by bus, they are all "first world needs".

Are any of them extravagent or unreasonably entitled?

It really depends on what you expect out of life or want for yourself and your family - and what sort of city you are building. Everything is relative.

When I was growing up - there was no such thing as Piano Lessons - TKD training simply wasn't available (but Karate was, a 40 minute drive away each way)

Other things that aren't needs would include Parent in laws having their own bedroom when they stay with you - why cannot just put two mattresses in one room and share? Or boy + girl siblings each having their own room - what you mean sleep is different in own room?

Simply put - life is significantly better with a car, that doesn't make it a "need" and neither does it mean the government "has to provide".

It does mean that hard decisions have to be taken, and questions must be asked when building the transport network and we can't simply settle for -

"Bah - you don't need an efficient and convenient way to get around"

• Praise 1

You do realise that other than bus/mrt, there is taxi and uber available in Singapore and that using these will still cheaper than having your own car.

A lot of your other needs below can be fulfilled a lot better using taxi/uber. Mayber not as convenient as your own car but close enough.

Uber / Taxi - depends on your version / definition of "cheaper".

I deliberately didn't include them because they are still "personal car" in one sense or another - so whether or not they are cheaper depends on how much you use them.

If you only make one short trip a week - yep, certainly cheaper

if you're making multiple trips per day - err--- not so much.

Edited by Darryn

Turbocharged

I just feel I gotta point out that Uber & conventional cab services have two issues:

-1 to maximum number of passengers, because the driver is external.

Cabs/Ubers are not ideal for large bulky loads such as carrying bicycles to the park.

I went to LengKee last week (Also signed on for Altis)

Both Kia(C&C) & Toyota (BM) have a lot people.

VW was quiet though :X

Dun understand why these people wanna commit financial suicide

• Praise 1

I just feel I gotta point out that Uber & conventional cab services have two issues:

-1 to maximum number of passengers, because the driver is external.

Cabs/Ubers are not ideal for large bulky loads such as carrying bicycles to the park.

I drive a 7 seater - so for most practical purposes it is -3 (legally) or minus 5 or so if they are small.

And for the doubters - yes we do quite reguarly travel with 4/5 adults plus 2 or more kids

During swimming lesson time I took 4 kids plus the 2 adults to weekly to class - not achievable by bus (time) or taxi (too small) ..

And to add on ---

Just last week I went to Ikea and bought a new sofa - which I took home in the car,

I'd like to see anyone try to fit a sofa into a sonata

Yes - I could have had it delivered - at some later time, when I would have needed to have been at home at some additional charge....

Again - "first world problem" -

But again - this sort of usage needs to be remembered when building a transport network - to simply say -

"yes there are alternatives available if you are willing to spend the money" is not a solution

Edited by Darryn
  • Praise 1

Turbocharged

I drive a 7 seater - so for most practical purposes it is -3 (legally) or minus 5 or so if they are small.

And for the doubters - yes we do quite reguarly travel with 4/5 adults plus 2 or more kids

During swimming lesson time I took 4 kids plus the 2 adults to weekly to class - not achievable by bus (time) or taxi (too small)

Haha, sorry, that too. I'm not thinking laterally enough right now. [hur][thumbsup]

• Praise 1

Because of our fast pace society, time is of the essence.

Lots of impatient people in Singapore n everyone wants to do the most in the shortest time possible. Mothers have to multi task, Fathers have to make sure they bring home enough bacon, Children have to excel both in studies n CCAs, Grandparents have to chip in to help with their time and effort. In short, no one is spared.

So a car which is normally not a need becomes one to achieve the above. We can't be spending too much time travelling. Point I'm trying to make is that it's not comparable to a country where pace of life is not so quick hence one can afford to take public tpt, smell the roses and be leisurely.

To be no. 1 needs us to be mobile at the shortest possible time and hence a car becomes a want I'm afraid, my 2 cents.......

• Praise 5

Assume a standard sized family 2 parents, 2 children + 1 maid, how to fit inside a taxi? Even if exclude the maid also need to include the driver bah. Some people will say take MPV but can allow child seat? By the time install child seat the taxi uncle already face black and meter start counting. Havent start moving already more than 10 dollars. Then when arrive destination, how to carry the child seat everywhere? Don't mention if raining, wah kau, wife shout and children fight. Divorce rate going to go up. Carry stroller with wheels also big headache, don't say child seat.

Conclusion, private car for family decrease divorce rate, save medical bill for heart problems and high blood pressure, and can earn some side income become uber driver.

• Praise 3

Because of our fast pace society, time is of the essence.

Lots of impatient people in Singapore n everyone wants to do the most in the shortest time possible. Mothers have to multi task, Fathers have to make sure they bring home enough bacon, Children have to excel both in studies n CCAs, Grandparents have to chip in to help with their time and effort. In short, no one is spared.

So a car which is normally not a need becomes one to achieve the above. We can't be spending too much time travelling. Point I'm trying to make is that it's not comparable to a country where pace of life is not so quick hence one can afford to take public tpt, smell the roses and be leisurely.

To be no. 1 needs us to be mobile at the shortest possible time and hence a car becomes a want I'm afraid, my 2 cents.......

Where I grew up - a car was an absolute NEED.

We had NO public transport - i.e actually none. There wasn't even taxis.

My father was lucky - his workplace was "only" a one hour walk away. (not that he had to walk mind you)

I think what you're saying is that we are victims of our own success and expectations - that a car is only a need because we have to work, that we want to do things with the kids, or we want to follow our own interests.

Or that in my case, a car is only a need because I encourage my children to follow their interests or learn new things, or have the chance to do things (like learn Piano, or take TKD for example) that I never did. In other words - that I want my kids to have more than I had (not that I missed out or anything, or had a deprived childhood). Aren't all of these things natural? Is there anything particularly materialistic in what I am doing?

So what are you suggesting though in terms of a solution?

That we "do less"?

So what are you going to cut out of a family life like mine?

Dining out as a family?

Enrichment lessons?

Bedtime stories?

Homework help (because I reach home too late)?

Where I grew up - a car was an absolute NEED.

We had NO public transport - i.e actually none. There wasn't even taxis.

My father was lucky - his workplace was "only" a one hour walk away. (not that he had to walk mind you)

I think what you're saying is that we are victims of our own success and expectations - that a car is only a need because we have to work, that we want to do things with the kids, or we want to follow our own interests.

Or that in my case, a car is only a need because I encourage my children to follow their interests or learn new things, or have the chance to do things (like learn Piano, or take TKD for example) that I never did. In other words - that I want my kids to have more than I had (not that I missed out or anything, or had a deprived childhood). Aren't all of these things natural? Is there anything particularly materialistic in what I am doing?

So what are you suggesting though in terms of a solution?

That we "do less"?

So what are you going to cut out of a family life like mine?

Dining out as a family?

Enrichment lessons?

Bedtime stories?

Homework help (because I reach home too late)?

You hit the nail on the head that we are victims of our own success.

You grew up in a vast country where a car is definitely a must. The thinking here is that with our efficient public tpt and with us being small, moving around without a car shouldn't be an issue.

My point was that it is an issue if you strive to do all the things which an avg Singaporean family wants to do cos we don't have the time to waste talking public tpt. I don't have a solution, I just wanted to point out why it is a need and not a want in our society and why it is not comparable with other societies.

When my daughter was younger, I too was caught up like all other Singaporeans and I was thankful that my car was the handy servant to ferry me around to complete what was required and even then I felt shattered at the end of the weekend and just couldn't imagine how I could do it without my trusty car!!

• Praise 10

2/3.. lol I must be doing it wrongly.

Those 5k and below buy new car.. unless if rich parents help, arbo is courting own death while seriously sacrificing other aspects of life just to have a private transport in SG.

Nowadays brand new Japanese car monthly maintenance based on 40-50% downpayment, $400 petrol + misc already aprox $1800 at least. If kena accident is jitao no money repair lol

$400 petrol is alot.

The COE is still very high for average S'poreans who really need their vehicles for family and work purposes.

Please give your support to sign on this online petition to extend the COE validity period, from 10 years to 12 / 15 years period.

Thank you very much.

The petition link as follow: http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/extend-coe-lifespan-by-two-to-five-years.html

But if COE is extended, it would also mean that ppl might be willing to pay (and therefore bid) more for it.

Yes but those apply to used car only, not new cars.

New cars from AD also have lease and rental programs. But they cost a LOT more in the long run.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1