Any precaution for driving a 8 yr old car to MY?

Surf2004

Hi,

My Picnic is near 8 yrs old. And I'm thinking of the risk of breakdown is I drive it to Perak.

Serviced at every 10k km.
Replaced numerous parts since the 5th yr.
1. Disc rotors
2. Front wheel bearings
3. Recond alternator
4. Fan belt tensioner
5. Engine valve gasket
6. Big rubber hose to radiator
7. Radiator top tank
8. 2 fan motors for the radiator cooler
9. Front shocks with link stabilizer
10.1 mth old Tyres
11.1 yr old battery
12.Front brake pads
13.Engine mount
14.Recond starter

What else is likely to fail during long trip ? Should I go for pre-trip inspection ? Any more safety measures to consider ?

Please advise. TIA.

↡ Advertisement

If your car is serviced regularly. Should be fine. Just have regular pit stop.....Have a bottle of engine oil, water and coolant on standby. If seal or coolant leak...at least you can top up some qty to move to the nearby workshop......Do a battery check....that's about it lah.....

Supercharged

You have done what you can mechanically. What you need now is to have a list of emergency tel numbers of breakdown services, especially PLUS towing services along NSH.

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

Driving on the NS highway is not taxing to the engine at all. Less harsh than city driving.

Worst I got was a faulty aircon compressor in Melaka. Drove back to S'pore with no aircon. Driving at high speed with window wound down slightly is not as stable.

If a 36 yr old Corolla can make it, I dont see why your 8 year old Picnic can't.

post-27974-0-81761300-1461846606_thumb.jpg

Edited by Vinceng
  • Praise 3

Neutral Newbie

Just drove to M'sia with my 8 year old Swift last weekend. Never kena any problem but kena langgar from behind...

I was told to claim my own insurance. I didn't feel I was wrong leh.. is there any other way out?

Neutral Newbie

Just drove to M'sia with my 8 year old Swift last weekend. Never kena any problem but kena langgar from behind...

I was told to claim my own insurance. I didn't feel I was wrong leh.. is there any other way out?

the one who bang you is Malaysia registered car?

3rd Gear

Hi,

My Picnic is near 8 yrs old. And I'm thinking of the risk of breakdown is I drive it to Perak.

Serviced at every 10k km.

Replaced numerous parts since the 5th yr.

1. Disc rotors

2. Front wheel bearings

3. Recond alternator

4. Fan belt tensioner

5. Engine valve gasket

6. Big rubber hose to radiator

7. Radiator top tank

8. 2 fan motors for the radiator cooler

9. Front shocks with link stabilizer

10.1 mth old Tyres

11.1 yr old battery

12.Front brake pads

13.Engine mount

14.Recond starter

What else is likely to fail during long trip ? Should I go for pre-trip inspection ? Any more safety measures to consider ?

Please advise. TIA.

Make sure your spare tyre is in good condition. Otherwise you will end up like me too, as I also happened in Perak.

post-72655-0-60032000-1462604376_thumb.jpg

post-72655-0-28178500-1462604386_thumb.jpg

post-72655-0-02472200-1462604397_thumb.jpg

Turbocharged

Make sure your spare tyre is in good condition. Otherwise you will end up like me too, as I also happened in Perak.

What happened? Your rim is already dented.

Send to ur trusted workshop for a check.

Then make sure lights all working. Find out emergency number. If possible have a data sim card for surfing use in case any parts requires replacement u can search google for nearest malaysian workshop.

No need so much worry. Especially ur car Toyota picnic, most workshop at malaysia can repair ur car. If u see malaysin road alot cars more than 10 yrs old running above 150 in nshw lol

3rd Gear

What happened? Your rim is already dented.

This was a very remarkable experiences for me in M'sia road. I hit the pit hole when travelling at night on a stretch of road with total darkness.

Very lucky indeed, I am still able to control my wheel even tought the whole car jump over to the opposite lane.

One word of caution,travelling on M'sia road better be careful all the time.

Turbocharged
(edited)

This was a very remarkable experiences for me in M'sia road. I hit the pit hole when travelling at night on a stretch of road with total darkness.

Very lucky indeed, I am still able to control my wheel even tought the whole car jump over to the opposite lane.

One word of caution,travelling on M'sia road better be careful all the time.

what speed were u going at?

looks like u were on a dirt road, so can't hv been very fast.

Edited by JohnSHL

Thats why its very important to have good xenon headlight when travelling to malaysia at night. Their road very dark and dangerous as got alot pothole etc

3rd Gear

what speed were u going at?

looks like u were on a dirt road, so can't hv been very fast.

No, I travelled on normal road. From one end on the right called Siputih, and to the other end on the left called Parit. Along the way mostly plantation with palm oil or rubber estate. Very few houses. The place where I parked my car is actually a malay house exit, that I had been travelling more that 10 over Km from the place of occurrance.

Once again I considered very lucky that the tyre never burst. What happened if burst, the car mostly will be out of control as later mentioned by the Mechanic in KL.

• Praise 2

For all drivers who would like to get help in case of any problems, Best to sign up for AA, they are able to help tow back in case of problems (free for selected towns).

All common japanese cars will be able to get repaired in Malaysia, just ensure you have phone to call and somebody to call in case of any problems. Mobile phone is a must as you do not want to be stuck in the middle of nowhere..

Toll PLUS expressway operator at 1800 88 0000 or 03 780 16603.

AAS frequently asked questions:

https://aas.com.sg/worldwide-reciprocal-service/destination-listing/frequently-asked-questions-on-roadside-assistance-services-in-malaysia.html