Volkswagen scandal

Caravan

Haha bro very true!

At the risk of offending CEOs and Mgmt level staff, I find these guys not very honest in their presentation and comments most of the time. Black can say until white needs some skill [;)]

Of course there are exceptions so maybe unfair for me to generalize but sad to say quite a fair bit are like this. I once commented to a colleague that CEO/Mgmt level guys must be spin doctors else you can't fit into those positions [:p]

Seriously, it has been well established that a disproportionate number of CEOs are psychopaths, i.e. no functioning conscience. It's considered a performance enhancing trait for such jobs. Edited by Turboflat4
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

somewhat agree ... if a ceo is a 9-to-5 guy with no "ambitious" 野心 (the dark side) ... he is not a ceo material

Seriously, it has been well established that a disproportionate number of CEOs are psychopaths, i.e. no functioning conscience. It's considered a performance enhancing trait for such jobs.

Edited by Wt_know

er ..  probably can sell but who's buying ? so equates to "can't sell"

Er, better to buy the emission spewing older models than a new one next year mah. You buy new VW TDI more FC less power.

The current ones are like 'Limited edition High Output Models' liao.

I almost fall off my chair when reading this news. Lai liao, more dirty laundry might be surfacing soon...

James Dyson accuses Bosch of cheating 'like Volkswagen'

Sir James Dyson has claimed Bosch are the Volkswagen of the vacuum cleaner world as he launched legal action against his German engineering rival.

“Bosch has installed control electronics into some of its machines to wrongfully increase energy consumption when in use – to cheat the EU energy label,” Sir James said. “Their behaviour is akin to that seen in the Volkswagen scandal.

“It seems that industry is rife with manufacturers engineering to find their way around tests, rather than engineering better, more efficient technology. This behaviour is seriously misleading customers.”

Sir James has alleged that the AAAA energy rating achieved by some of Bosch’s vacuum cleaner models was achieved during lab tests with a clean bag in use. But sensors within the vacuum cleaner tell the motor to increase energy use from 750W to 1,600W when the bag is full of dirt to maintain performance, which reduces the energy rating to an E or F.

These findings came to light during independent laboratory testing, according to Sir James. ​

Bosch supplied the engine control systems that VW used to install “defeat devices”, which embroiled the car maker in the diesels emissions-rigging scandal.

• Praise 3

time to change car [sly]

I think this will be the only fair way forward for VW's customers.

VW must have the moral obligation to fix the diesel cheat device and return fuel economy to as near as possible to their published levels when selling the car... failing which... they should buy back the car at its fully sold price... not some depreciated crap value...

There should be additional fines from the various governments/EPA's for their deliberate cheating, etc.

Just to fix the cheat device, pay a token compensation to the affected customers and pay a fine (however big) to the government wouldn't do. This might cost a bomb... but they had free cash flow of US$12b last year. So not impossible for that company

• Praise 1

I think this will be the only fair way forward for VW's customers.

VW must have the moral obligation to fix the diesel cheat device and return fuel economy to as near as possible to their published levels when selling the car... failing which... they should buy back the car at its fully sold price... not some depreciated crap value...

There should be additional fines from the various governments/EPA's for their deliberate cheating, etc.

Just to fix the cheat device, pay a token compensation to the affected customers and pay a fine (however big) to the government wouldn't do. This might cost a bomb... but they had free cash flow of US$12b last year. So not impossible for that company

If only car are sold at cost...

Imagine if you are a business owner, will you buy back your defective product at above your selling price (and in Singapore >2 times diff)? I am not taking side (in fact I condemn on VW for the dirty trick), but realistically, get the defect rectified (and meeting all outher specifications), with some "level" of compensation for the lower resale value is a more feasibile way for all.

• Praise 3

If only car are sold at cost...

Imagine if you are a business owner, will you buy back your defective product at above your selling price (and in Singapore >2 times diff)? I am not taking side (in fact I condemn on VW for the dirty trick), but realistically, get the defect rectified (and meeting all outher specifications), with some "level" of compensation for the lower resale value is a more feasibile way for all.

Perhaps... I was just being my commie belligerent self there...

But VW can't fix the NOx issue and maintain their promised performance and give their quoted economy figures. Something has to give somewhere...

What if a customer claims he requires all three... to a reason. Rather than saying get stuffed... VW should initiate a voluntary repayment of the money.

Knowingly selling a defective product makes the argument moot about only paying the cost price. They cheated... so there's a price to pay... and that price shouldn't come from dealers/customers/etc.

Fix the car and compensation for resale value? Maybe... or better for compulsory buy back scheme with a value fixed above normal depreciation also can.

Basically what I'm saying that any costs... however small... should only come from the pocket of VW. It's their comeuppance.

Shipowner IM Skaugen is claiming $50 million in compensation from a marine unit of Volkswagenfor rigging performance tests of ship engines produced over a decade ago.

IM Skaugen alleges that the specifications of the six engines it bought from MAN were misleading.

The company is seeking compensation for higher fuel use than specified over the expected 30-year lifetimes of the engines.

VW now owns 75% of MAN Diesel and Turbo SE, although it was not an owner of MAN when the engines were made.  MAN supplied the engines to Skaugen in 2002-03 and has legal counter-claims over contracts with Skaugen.

VW first acquired a stake of 22% in MAN in 2006.

IM Skaugen has decided to publicise the case, filed in a Singapore court in July, because it sees similarities between MAN's handling of the ship engine tests under VW ownership and the German company's response to the biggest scandal in its 78-year history, caused by cheating diesel car emissions tests.

Compensation sought for higher fuel use than specified

"We have tried to engage MAN for quite some time to sort out these problems. In 2012 we were promised transparency and we were promised that they would do whatever they could to settle the issues," CEO Morits Skaugen told Reuters.

"My goal here is to highlight that the method being applied, the software, is the same. The purpose seemed to be the same, to conceal the fact that these engines do not meet the promised standards, whether it is fuel consumption or emissions."

A VW spokesman contacted by Reuters declined to comment. VW acquired a controlling 55% stake in MAN in 2011 and now owns 75%.

MAN admitted in 2011 that some of its factory tests of four-stroke marine diesel engines may have been rigged to show artificially low fuel use.  A MAN spokesman said the company has worked to compensate clients since but has not published a list of those affected and has been unable to settle with IM Skaugen.

In July 2015, IM Skaugen filed a $20 million demand in a Singapore court for compensation from MAN for the six engines which it says were underperforming. Skaugen said the company would revise up the amount to $50 million to reflect new estimates for fuel and other costs.

"We are just asking for a refund," Skaugen said.

Jan Dietrich Mueller, head of group communications and marketing at MAN, said in an email to Reuters it "had tried to amicably settle these issues out of court and had been negotiating with this customer for several months."

However, talks between MAN and Skaugen have now collapsed.

This article gives a very clear and concise summary of the developments that forced VW engineers to use cheating software in order to meet US emissions standards :

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-10-21/how-could-volkswagen-s-top-engineers-not-have-known-

Basically there was a power struggle at VW and the losing CEO's technological proposals at cleaning their diesel engines was thrown out for political expedience.

Unable to use the state of the art diesel technology to keep the engine clean, VW engineers were then forced to use inferior measures to reduce diesel Nox emission. They were then forced to cheat in order to produce the test results in order to back the outlandish claims that their bosses were publicizing in the media and on US soil.

In other words, VW bosses were making promises that they couldn't keep in reality, forcing the engineers who had the job of actually designing the engines, to cheat.

• Praise 1

This article gives a very clear and concise summary of the developments that forced VW engineers to use cheating software in order to meet US emissions standards :

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-10-21/how-could-volkswagen-s-top-engineers-not-have-known-

Basically there was a power struggle at VW and the losing CEO's technological proposals at cleaning their diesel engines was thrown out for political expedience.

Unable to use the state of the art diesel technology to keep the engine clean, VW engineers were then forced to use inferior measures to reduce diesel Nox emission. They were then forced to cheat in order to produce the test results in order to back the outlandish claims that their bosses were publicizing in the media and on US soil.

In other words, VW bosses were making promises that they couldn't keep in reality, forcing the engineers who had the job of actually designing the engines, to cheat.

Good one. Ferdinand Piech probably danced all night once he heard Winterkorn (who probably doesn't care that much seeing how his golden parachute was over $60m) was fcked... 

• Praise 1

I always wondered why their slogan sounds like this. Now I do:

Volkswagen... dusts Auto.

Very dusty now in fact. But pretty sure they will rectify it and bring German cars to a higher level later.

hahaha, someone is thinking along the same lines as me!

How many of you smell that Piech is behind this revelation?  [sly]

(if I have to explain who he is, you won't understand anyway)

↡ Advertisement