Volkswagen scandal

Caravan

Latest news.

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/approval-for-affected/2187074.html

Sales of VW diesel models have been suspended. All diesel cars sold so far will be recalled for rectification. In other words, performance of cars will be affected? Will the rebates given so far be rescinded too? If yes, who will pay back to LTA?

↡ Advertisement

It is just no new registrations of affected diesel models. I had thought all models at first and thought they "gone" liao.

Sorry, should have elaborated that it was only diesel cars being affected.

Actually, it's bad enough as confidence in their brand has been affected, not to mention the previous DSG issue also severely dented their reputation. A pity as the Beetle years boosted their image which was hard earned but now being eroded due to mis-management, a lesson for all car makers!!

• Praise 6

Sorry, should have elaborated that it was only diesel cars being affected.

Actually, it's bad enough as confidence in their brand has been affected, not to mention the previous DSG issue also severely dented their reputation. A pity as the Beetle years boosted their image which was hard earned but now being eroded due to mis-management, a lesson for all car makers!!

Emissions ppl dun care one lah.

The main impact to sales is DSG - Dead Stuck Gear

• Praise 2

Emissions ppl dun care one lah.

The main impact to sales is DSG - Dead Stuck Gear

Hard to tell.

If they can cheat on emission numbers, they can also cheap on hp, fuel efficiency, and torque numbers.

Furthermore, I find it hard to believe that for the owners affected, the fix will not reduce performance.

If I were owner of affected VW car, VW need to give me something to make me waste my time go down to their workshop and also my risk that the fix reduce my performance.

Hard to tell.

If they can cheat on emission numbers, they can also cheap on hp, fuel efficiency, and torque numbers.

Furthermore, I find it hard to believe that for the owners affected, the fix will not reduce performance.

If I were owner of affected VW car, VW need to give me something to make me waste my time go down to their workshop and also my risk that the fix reduce my performance.

Some one tested the Jetta with the cheat code activated. Meaning low NOx.

Acceleration is 0.2-0.5s slower.

FC is 3-4miles less per gallon.

So, they are asking, with these number, why VW went ahead to cheat? [confused]

Some one tested the Jetta with the cheat code activated. Meaning low NOx.

Acceleration is 0.2-0.5s slower.

FC is 3-4miles less per gallon.

So, they are asking, with these number, why VW went ahead to cheat? [confused]

VW cheat so that they can claim that they have met or exceeded EURO 6 standard?

acceleration and fc is not part of EURO 6 standard..

Just heard the Singapore Volkswagen CEO speaking on the rajo about this.

Sounded to me like he was blaming the Singapore NEA? for what's gonna happen to the diesel car buying market over the next few years because of their stance on no more diesel car sales until VW have repaired all Singapore cars with the problem.

Very poor statement.

VW cheat so that they can claim that they have met or exceeded EURO 6 standard?

acceleration and fc is not part of EURO 6 standard..

If they don't cheat, their car will still pass euro VI. Just 0.2s slower

Maybe, with that 0.2s, their cars will have slight edge.

Or maybe, they need the cheat in 2009. But by 2014, they can do without the cheat code but forgot to remove. :D

• Praise 1

Just heard the Singapore Volkswagen CEO speaking on the rajo about this.

Sounded to me like he was blaming the Singapore NEA? for what's gonna happen to the diesel car buying market over the next few years because of their stance on no more diesel car sales until VW have repaired all Singapore cars with the problem.

Very poor statement.

I think it's only diesel cars from VW that will not be allowed to register till this problem is rectified. The buying market can still get a diesel from other makes so don't quite follow his rant? He just hv to rectify the 650 cars affected ASAP n anyway he shld be pointing the finger at VW headquarters if there's a need to find a scape goat!!

• Praise 6

they resort to cheat means they cannot do it ... period

during the congress griling ... a tough question was asked the sole purpose of the cheating device is to pass emmission test - the answer is a straight Yes!

VW can say whatever they want that without cheating they still can meet the standard. it's like a drug or gambling addict said he can choose not to do what they did ... it's a lie

VW may be can do it but at higher cost which they cannot make the same profit they are doing ... which means they cannot make a better car than competitor

VW had lost all credibility ... period.

this is not the first time a university did a test and report

in 2014 VW kena complained and then silent the university saying the test were conducted in extreme conditions and the equipment used were not calibrated. they had gone all the way to cover up.

Edited by Wt_know
  • Praise 1

I think it's only diesel cars from VW that will not be allowed to register till this problem is rectified. The buying market can still get a diesel from other makes so don't quite follow his rant? He just hv to rectify the 650 cars affected ASAP n anyway he shld be pointing the finger at VW headquarters if there's a need to find a scape goat!!

Better they fix up the affected car first ... we know VW's chow kuan kekekeke :XD:

wonder how the fix will affect the car later ........ :secret-laugh:

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 1

the usa vw ceo said

gen 1 car - probably cannot fix. talk about compensation

gen 2 car - need to fit up an extra device (converter or filter) plus update software

gen 3 car - just need to update software (probably detuned to limit nox)

still dare to say for gen 3 car just update software. car performance and efficiency is not compromised

then kena grilled by congress then why install the defeat device

the ceo replied - that's a good question ... LoL

Better they fix up the affected car first ... we know VW's chow kuan kekekeke :XD:

wonder how the fix will affect the car later ........ :secret-laugh:

Edited by Wt_know

the usa vw ceo said

gen 2 car - need to fit up an extra device (converter or filter) plus update software

basically power will be cut ? ... shld be still ok ba .......... :D

• Praise 2

regarding the portion I put in bold... not if he wants to keep his job [grin]

• Praise 2

the usa vw ceo said

still dare to say for gen 3 car just update software. car performance and efficiency is not compromised

then kena grilled by congress then why install the defeat device

the ceo replied - that's a good question ... LoL

owner don't want to let the dealer fix how? it's alr in the hands of the owner, VW cannot compel, can the local government compel owners to convert their cars into a worse-performing product?

Will the owners be asked to pay the special diesel road tax since no longer Euro 5 (maybe Euro 1)? 3 times normal tax.....

Edited by Volvobrick
  • Praise 3

dont worry la ... the scandal is caused by VW

dont think LTA or authority will ask owner to pay

what worry me is if LTA declare these car are not allowed to run on the road until it is fixed ... then owner is left high and dry

sell cannot ... keep at bay also wasted ... scrap? how to claim losses from VW - ho say liao

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1