Volkswagen scandal

Caravan

650 cars x $100k a pop = smelly smelly $65M? :omg:

650 VW diesel vehicles is a lot in Singapore considering our limited COE quota. In China, there's only 2000 VW diesel vehicles recalled ? Huge fan base in Singapore it seems.

Edited by Wt_know

Now that sales for new VW Diesels have been suspended here too, maybe prices will become very affordable when it restarts.

Actually, I'm a little confused with the whole situation here. Aren't we using the Euro standards, which means very lax NOx restrictions? With or without the cheat device, these cars still pass the Euro V tests right because we care more about CO2? Of course real world usage is going to generate much more emissions, like every single diesel car sold by other manufacturers as well; but if these cars pass LTA's initial testing (as quoted by the figures in SGCarMart's spec sheets), why shouldn't they be allowed to be sold?

Vw showroom was packed over the weekend leh.. Hahaha

Se told me they reduced 8k off some models! The floods came in like nothing..

Bad publicity is still publicity

precisely, if the price jetta, golf and tiguan are on par with toyota model price ...

vw car will sell like hot cakes ... may be can exceed sales target ... lol

tree hugger? who cares !

Vw showroom was packed over the weekend leh.. Hahaha
Se told me they reduced 8k off some models! The floods came in like nothing..
Bad publicity is still publicity

Edited by Wt_know

owner don't want to let the dealer fix how? it's alr in the hands of the owner, VW cannot compel, can the local government compel owners to convert their cars into a worse-performing product?

VW need to give sweetener to induce. This is only fair.

does this recall apply to our DSG also?

should they look into the DSG failure rates as well.. [laugh]

They should but unfortunatley no regulatory push/pressure.

VW need to give sweetener to induce. This is only fair.

They should but unfortunatley no regulatory push/pressure.

mine going in again for clutch replacement and huge engine shakes in the morning. I guess I can use the engine shakes to make morning milk shakes without switching on my blender

anyway he shld be pointing the finger at VW headquarters if there's a need to find a scape goat!!

and lose his nice cushy job and expat pay here?

if it were me, i'd blame NEA anytime

:D

it took a few yrs for them to acknowledge certain issues in dsg. even then, they merely make do w changing to mineral oil n better wearing material of clutch iirc. rightfully, they should perform another r&d on engineering dsg to improve on reliability rather than make do w whatever available to troubleshoot.

the way they do things reminded me of my early yrs of being in mfg industry of goin around the issue to solve it, wc actually did not solve it at all, just temporary measure at best.

that's the "continual improvement" we've learnt.

• Praise 1

and lose his nice cushy job and expat pay here?

if it were me, i'd blame NEA anytime

True also lah bro but damn frustrating to hear CEOs pushing the blame to someone else without batting an eyelid. To blame NEA is ridiculous to the extreme.

Maybe that's why I'm not a CEO cos I can't do this. At most I'll damage control, sell my brand's virtues and re-iterate our commitment to solve the problem but blame someone else, can't do this I'm afraid!!

• Praise 7

Now that sales for new VW Diesels have been suspended here too, maybe prices will become very affordable when it restarts.

Actually, I'm a little confused with the whole situation here.

1. Aren't we using the Euro standards, which means very lax NOx restrictions? Yes, we are using Euro V standard. The NOx restriction is there.

2. With or without the cheat device, these cars still pass the Euro V tests right because we care more about CO2? No. We care for CO2, CO, NOx and HC. As independent test result shows 7-19 times more than Euro VI standard (for NOx). Euro VI NOx restriction is 0.08xx (sorry, I forgot the unit) and Euro V restriction is 0.18xx. It means, if the car in normal driving condition exceed 7 time of Euro VI, it should exceed Euro V by 3 times. Which mean, it failed Euro V requirement as a whole.

Of course real world usage is going to generate much more emissions, like every single diesel car sold by other manufacturers as well; but if these cars pass LTA's initial testing (as quoted by the figures in SGCarMart's spec sheets), why shouldn't they be allowed to be sold?

So, NEA is right to suspend all new diesel model from VW until they send their car for re-qualification.

They should also demand other makes to re-test their diesel cars within a time frame. Failing to do so, the model should be suspended from sale.

who knows, ... after they tune down the engine... might be better for the DSG. Less stress. [laugh]

• Praise 2

True also lah bro but damn frustrating to hear CEOs pushing the blame to someone else without batting an eyelid. To blame NEA is ridiculous to the extreme.

Maybe that's why I'm not a CEO cos I can't do this. At most I'll damage control, sell my brand's virtues and re-iterate our commitment to solve the problem but blame someone else, can't do this I'm afraid!!

blame NEA, NEA implements more stringent testing

affect other makes' diesel sales as well

it's good business sense

• Praise 1

blame NEA, NEA implements more stringent testing

affect other makes' diesel sales as well

it's good business sense

Good business sense it may be but morally not right I feel.

Guess there's no such thing as morals in the cut throat business world!!

Seems like this VW CEO has a "bring your competitors down with you" mentality.

He has certainly lost me as a potential customer forever, not that it matters much to them I guess haha :D

• Praise 5

owner don't want to let the dealer fix how? it's alr in the hands of the owner, VW cannot compel, can the local government compel owners to convert their cars into a worse-performing product?

Absolutely - it's pretty simple if they have the will.

Just say cannot renew roadtax until you have proof that the fix has been made.

Whether it's advisable or not is a different matter.

Also - if it becomes a legal requirement - then I would expect it strengthens the case for compensation....which is "anti VW" - so whether they want to do that is also a question mark

lol, actually fact that buyers dont really care about emissions right? who the f**k cares about carbon emissions when buying a car?

NOx reacts with ammonia, moisture, and other compounds to form nitric acid vapor and related particles. Small particles can penetrate deeply into sensitive lung tissue and damage it, causing premature death in extreme cases. Inhalation of such particles may cause or worsen respiratory diseases, such as emphysema or bronchitis, or may also aggravate existing heart disease.[13]

NOx reacts with volatile organic compounds in the presence of sunlight to form ozone. Ozone can cause adverse effects such as damage to lung tissue and reduction in lung function mostly in susceptible populations (children, elderly, asthmatics). Ozone can be transported by wind currents and cause health impacts far from the original sources. The American Lung Association estimates that nearly 50 percent of United States inhabitants live in counties that are not in ozone compliance

(Extracted from wikipedia)

Sad thing is, by the time we care enough because the emission has caused our loved ones to suffer, it will be too late. Just like how we don't care about what paper products we use until the haze hits us. Now people are all calling for boycott of the affected paper products.

• Praise 4

650 VW diesel vehicles is a lot in Singapore considering our limited COE quota. In China, there's only 2000 VW diesel vehicles recalled ? Huge fan base in Singapore it seems.

that's because the diesel quality in China is too bad to use in passenger cars.