Volkswagen scandal

Caravan

BTW singapore air quality is already worse than the who recommended limit (likely due to the haze mostly) but let's not make it worse.

The substantial increased tax on diesel cars should stay. And they should undergo more stringent checks.

↡ Advertisement

Selfish human beings typical dont care as long as it doesnt hurt them, but have their cake and eat it.

Why care about smog into Singapore and Malaysia when it is cheaper and faster to burn the forestry in Sumatra?

Why care about emission when what I want is power, performance, fuel economy and cheap sticker price?

Why care about the poor when fat bonus awaits me if i get the country's GDP up to my measured KPI?

Why care about the locals when i can boost my bottom line with cheap and skilled foreign labours?

Why care about global warming when it is more convenient for me to throw everything into the garbage bin and not waste time segregating them to recycle?

Why care about ethics when the society's yardstick for recognition and success is the number of zeros in the bank account and not intangible kindness and goodness done for the society?

Why do i earn peanuts? Because my mind and my view is as narrow as a frog sitting in a well looking up to a small patch of the sky.

Such is the mentality of those who "cared" about emission.

• Praise 1

lol, actually fact that buyers dont really care about emissions right? who the f**k cares about carbon emissions when buying a car?

you right .. EXCEPT in this case, when the CEVS rebate means money and therefore VW now have to provide evidence for SG diesel cars to proof as well ...else have to start vomit out the rebate that they earn..

shiok right, for those owning VW 2.0 diesel, they may gain additional scrap rebate when they buy used ...

Selfish human beings typical dont care as long as it doesnt hurt them, but have their cake and eat it.

Why care about smog into Singapore and Malaysia when it is cheaper and faster to burn the forestry in Sumatra?

Why care about emission when what I want is power, performance, fuel economy and cheap sticker price?

Why care about the poor when fat bonus awaits me if i get the country's GDP up to my measured KPI?

Why care about the locals when i can boost my bottom line with cheap and skilled foreign labours?

Why care about global warming when it is more convenient for me to throw everything into the garbage bin and not waste time segregating them to recycle?

Why care about ethics when the society's yardstick for recognition and success is the number of zeros in the bank account and not intangible kindness and goodness done for the society?

Why do i earn peanuts? Because my mind and my view is as narrow as a frog sitting in a well looking up to a small patch of the sky.

Such is the mentality of those who "cared" about emission.

yeah .. remind me of the time during reservist .. cry father , cry mother on haze, yet smoking disceetly in a confine 3 tonner and killing every one with the cigrette smoke..

such stupidity is alway available on demand ...

Did VW cheat in Europe too? If they did, then the whole VW group will sink like the titanic. Cheater should be punished severely.

If VW is in F1 .... they'd probably cheat FIA on the weight of the car, driver, power unit, double diffuser, and ERS with some secret software...

Did VW cheat in Europe too? If they did, then the whole VW group will sink like the titanic. Cheater should be punished severely.

Not in football.... divers are awarded penalties.

In motorsport it is about creative interpretation of rules and exploiting of loopholes, such as the blown diffuser on Red Bull's F1 car not too long ago, or flexible wing elements on several other teams that effectively became more aerodynamic the faster the car went.

Twenty years ago, Toyota Team Europe (a Cologne-based rally team backed by Toyota) installed a spring-loaded turbo restrictor plate on their Group A ST205 Celica rally car. The unmodified restrictor plate was meant to cap maximum airflow and hence power, but theirs would measure correctly when checked but in use, the airflow would push the opening larger, giving it more air for more power. It was an ingenious device, but the highly engineered nature of it showed that there was a clear intent to cheat. The TTE team was banned for a number of years from rallying as a result.

• Praise 2

Anyway I just want US to fine vw gao gao so that it hurts them. They are so big that business will go on.

Just teach the auto makers a lesson.

Similarly takata

• Praise 1

Anyway I just want US to fine vw gao gao so that it hurts them. They are so big that business will go on.

Just teach the auto makers a lesson.

Similarly takata

US$18b fine from EPA is a start.

It will open floodgates to countless civil suits in many states, counties, from individual owners... could become class action.

And then, there is Europe... and then there's China, Beijing could blame them for the smog,,...

.... and then there's consumers who will shun their products, not just he 2.0 TDI, but all their products because nobody trust them anymore.

Without revenue, with high cost, and huge punitive damages and fines to pay... you need to look at the liquidity and solvency of the group.

And then there's the union, the workers, .... Germany's economy, ... lots of ripple effects.

Titanic is huge, but its not unsinkable...

If you or your kid have asthma. You should care. If your parents have heart or lung disease you should care.

It's ironic that these emissions emitted by diesel engines harm humans the most (opposed to co2 which only cause global warming which is a vague concept to most) but some people say they don't care.

I agree it's not the most important thing to the ordinary consumer but the governments should take a harsh stance with strong punitive measures.

Could this be the reason Japanese stay away from diesel ..............and focus on electric cars???..............

• Praise 1

I pray that VW get it jialat jialat this time..............and mayb USA sld also fault them on the Gearbox issue..............one tight slap for VW to wake up its idea...........and make good for everything....................

And I can go buy a new audi A6 with a peace of mind............. [:p][laugh][laugh]

FRANKFURT - German auto giant Volkswagen's shares plummeted nearly 20 per cent Monday as investigations spread into revelations that hundreds of thousands of its diesel cars have software that secretly thwarts US pollution tests.

See more at: http://transport.asiaone.com/news/general/story/german-auto-giant-volkswagen-slams-huge-false-emission-scam#sthash.tirFj2Da.dpuf

please PM when Porsche car price plunged 50% ... [laugh]

FRANKFURT - German auto giant Volkswagen's shares plummeted nearly 20 per cent Monday as investigations spread into revelations that hundreds of thousands of its diesel cars have software that secretly thwarts US pollution tests.

See more at: http://transport.asiaone.com/news/general/story/german-auto-giant-volkswagen-slams-huge-false-emission-scam#sthash.tirFj2Da.dpuf

Edited by Wt_know

Rather than just a case of cheating the Govt.

I think this case further emphasises a lack of corporate conscience from vw.

In addition Their extensive denial of issue with the gearbox despite evidence to the contrary makes vw buyers Look like fools

• Praise 1

not just VW ... every corporation their main objective is to make money ... lots & lots of money ... nothing is enough

a bunch of jokers in a summit talk about CO2 emmission, greenhouse effect, carbon tax ... bla bla bla ...

it's all about money making schemes ...

Rather than just a case of cheating the Govt.
I think this case further emphasises a lack of corporate conscience from vw.
In addition Their extensive denial of issue with the gearbox despite evidence to the contrary makes vw buyers Look like fools

Edited by Wt_know

no just VW ... every corporation their main objective is to make money ... lots & lots of money

even profit already sibei thick ... still not enough ... nothing is enough

when i see a bunch of jokers in a summit talk about CO2 emmission ... greenhouse effect ... carbon tax ... bla bla bla ... it's all about money making ...

Fair enough.

But most corporation eg Honda Toyota have issue recalls after finding out their problems and resolving them

To deny and even lie outright points to immoral leadership.... At least to a certain extent.

I would be very wary of doing business with them

• Praise 1

Actually VW stock dropped over 30%... [flowerface]

http://www.mycarforum.com/topic/2700169-vw-kenna-caught-cheating-againthis-time-tio-tiao-liao/?p=5605450

-1x-1.png

it's not bashing if it's the truth.

The Hard Turth is always the toughest to accept..for some. [flowerface]

Nicholson.truth_.jpg

• Praise 1

Fair enough.

But most corporation eg Honda Toyota have issue recalls after finding out their problems and resolving them

To deny and even lie outright points to immoral leadership.... At least to a certain extent.

I would be very wary of doing business with them

I don't wish to condone VW for this. They will fully deserve the vast fines they are facing. Their brand was known as the greenest in car tech in Europe. They boasted about conforming to stricter emission standards fully a year before it was to be implemented.

Regarding Honda however... a brand which I have twice owned in my life... and it's F1 prowess with Senna and Prost is well known... a brand which I used to admire...

But this company knew about the failures of the Takata airbags for 10 years and didn't inform until it couldn't hide them anymore.

Honda and Takata Allegedly Knew About Deaths, Injuries from Exploding Airbags for Years Before Recall Expansion

04_Civic_SDN_LX_02-626x416.jpg

A New York Times report says that the faulty airbags that can cause metal fragments to be expelled in a crash and which led to simultaneous recalls from several automakers earlier this summerweren’t taken seriously for years despite horrifying injuries. And while Honda was one of 11 automakers sharing the same airbag supplier, that company in particular is alleged to have known about the problem well before the others and to have kept critical details such as airbag ruptures, injuries, and deaths involving its vehicles away from federal regulators and the public.

According to the report, Honda and airbag supplier Takata knew about the problem since 2004, which is when an airbag inflator exploded in a 2002 Honda Accord involved in a crash in Alabama, sending metal fragments through the bag and injuring the driver. Honda later learned of three airbag ruptures in 2007 and settled with the victims, says the Times. Honda also is said to have settled with a Civic driver in 2008 who had “blood gushing” from her neck after being hit with a two-inch fragment when the airbag deployed after a “minor accident.” Another woman driving a Honda Accord is reported to have “bled to death in front of her three children” in 2009 when her car’s airbag sent shrapnel into her neck and chest. A review of federal documents by the Times found that the airbags have caused two deaths and 30 injuries in Honda vehicles and a total of at least 139 reported injuries across all automakers.

Honda issued a tiny recall in 2008 for 4205 cars and later expanded the action eight times. But prior to this June, Honda hadn’t notified in its filings with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration that the airbags had actually ruptured or were linked to injuries and deaths. In 2007, it also took back airbag parts during dealer service visits without notifying owners and shipped the parts to Takata for analysis. NHTSA opened an investigation in November 2009 but closed it after six months, even when Takata said it had more information on the defect, the Timessaid.

So far, more than six million Honda and Acura models have been recalled. BMW, Toyota, Nissan, Mazda, Subaru, Mitsubishi, Isuzu, Ford, Chrysler, and General Motors vehicles are among the 14 million total affected. Contaminated propellant, storage mistakes, workers shutting off an “auto-reject” function along the assembly line, and high humidity have been blamed, although, as we reported in July, the root cause has yet to be determined by NHTSA, Takata, or any of the affected automakers. The latest round of recalls—triggered by a second NHTSA investigation opened in June—from all manufacturers are an attempt to round up cars in humid climates to inspect the airbag inflators.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/honda-taking-heat-for-hiding-deaths-injuries-from-exploding-airbag-recalls/

Edited by ins1dious
  • Praise 2