New BMW 218i Coupe

Joewu

i ended up paying pretty to to the asking price for the m235i because i added a whole bunch of stuff based on what i read about in reviews and the 2addicts forums. Also, wife would not let me go for the m235i HAH! oh well. read lots of good things about the 228i being sort of the best of both worlds though, and that convinced me. this article in particular:

http://jalopnik.com/the-bmw-228i-is-the-best-enthusiast-bimmer-you-can-buy-1662847106

Cool... What options did you add?

Hope you went for the Harmon Kardon system... the base audio is nothing special, and retrofitting locally is difficult.

I just went for the entry model, as it is as close to the E36 IS coupe out there and also cost savings too

↡ Advertisement

Sempai, any good reliable places to change tyres to PSS? workmanship most impt.

Which model are you using the PSS with btw? and would you said its immediately noticeable?

I changed it at Autokinetic. Go down & have a look. Chit chat with them.

Neutral Newbie

Actually I test drove and I think the ride is superb.

Anyway, Any of you guys went for the Alcantara seats? I personally prefer leather but SE says Alcantara gives more grip.

• Praise 1

Neutral Newbie

check out the 2 addicts forums. according to the guys there, the adaptive suspension and variable sports steering are really important for the fun to drive component, along with decent tyres. (most of these items are optional and you need to ask to add them in, which i did.) Since its my first car, i wanted to make sure i don't have any buyers remorse since i plan to use it for 4 years at least.

I just checked out 2addicts. Didn't know got such a forum dedicated to 2 series! Lots of useful

Info there!! Thanks!!!

Anyway, Any of you guys went for the Alcantara seats? I personally prefer leather but SE says Alcantara gives more grip.

Didn't know there were Alcantara options for seats..

Go for the M235 if such things are important. It is cheaper, as it includes 5 years free service and warranty compared to non-M models

Lol nice congrats,

Your thought process in configuring the car was like mine, did you add the surround view parking & HUD?

Also if you are gonna change the tyres best do it immediately after you get the car, then you best price from the tyre shop. The protective layer on the tyres will still be intact and they can resell as near new.

The 220i and above also come with lots of options in on top of the bigger engine though, so i guess that makes up for the difference.

why not you test drive and decide? check out the 2 addicts forums. according to the guys there, the adaptive suspension and variable sports steering are really important for the fun to drive component, along with decent tyres. (most of these items are optional and you need to ask to add them in, which i did.) Since its my first car, i wanted to make sure i don't have any buyers remorse since i plan to use it for 4 years at least.

I intend to change the tyres within a month. gonna drive the rft first since i wanna understand what the difference is exactly and why mss tyres are so hyped by online forumers when i finally do switch.

I placed order last month. was told i can collect in dec.

Edited by Mercury1
  • Praise 1

Alcantara seats in a non-performance model is so.... cheeky [rolleyes]

Edited by Mr_b20

Cool... What options did you add?

Hope you went for the Harmon Kardon system... the base audio is nothing special, and retrofitting locally is difficult.

I just went for the entry model, as it is as close to the E36 IS coupe out there and also cost savings too

I added the MSPORT package, Leather seats, M Adaptive suspension and Variable sports steering.

M adaptive suspension and Variable sports steering are 2 items that are a part of the dynamic handling package in the US that is highly rated as a must have by users on the 2addicts forums.

That resulted in a price about 12 k above the listed.

I didn't get the HK audio since i don't listen to music. At the most, i'd turn on the radio.

Lol nice congrats,

Your thought process in configuring the car was like mine, did you add the surround view parking & HUD?

Also if you are gonna change the tyres best do it immediately after you get the car, then you best price from the tyre shop. The protective layer on thetyres will still be intact and they can resell as near new.

Pretty much my entire thought process was geared towards getting a car that was enjoyable to drive. Initially i was looking at a 520i but decided on this due to the huge amount of rave reviews online surrounding the 228i and its driver satisfaction aspect. as well as being known for a car that has the ability to both deliver both a comfortable ride while still being a strong performer with a firm sporty ride based on your preference (thanks to the adaptive m optional suspension)

Since its my first car, and i'm pretty inexperienced ( other than being an information and detail knowledge whore), i was advised by my bro not to get the parking stuff , as he felt it'd be best to pick up these skills the traditional way first.

And thanks for the advice on the tyres. i'd definitely consider that. My reason for wanting to wait a month was because i wanted to learn to differentiate the difference.

Edited by sheepysheep
  • Praise 1

I added the MSPORT package, Leather seats, M Adaptive suspension and Variable sports steering.

M adaptive suspension and Variable sports steering are 2 items that are a part of the dynamic handling package in the US that is highly rated as a must have by users on the 2addicts forums.

That resulted in a price about 12 k above the listed.

I didn't get the HK audio since i don't listen to music. At the most, i'd turn on the radio.

Pretty much my entire thought process was geared towards getting a car that was enjoyable to drive. Initially i was looking at a 520i but decided on this due to the huge amount of rave reviews online surrounding the 228i and its driver satisfaction aspect. as well as being known for a car that has the ability to both deliver both a comfortable ride while still being a strong performer with a firm sporty ride based on your preference (thanks to the adaptive m optional suspension)

Since its my first car, and i'm pretty inexperienced ( other than being an information and detail knowledge whore), i was advised by my bro not to get the parking stuff , as he felt it'd be best to pick up these skills the traditional way first.

And thanks for the advice on the tyres. i'd definitely consider that. My reason for wanting to wait a month was because i wanted to learn to differentiate the difference.

Good to hear that! Not many SEs entertain the M-sports package and suspension, according the the bros here.

I am surprised by the refinement of this car, but left a little cold on the audio side.

A nagging routine is to switch off the auto start/stop, switch to sports mode, as the car does not want to remember the functions...

Will be changing the programming when I have the time

I'm not power whore, and so far, even while running in, I'm not holding back the traffic.. so its fine for now.

Believe the power deficit will show on NS highway when I'm there.

Would be interesting we can organise an F22 meet-up when more guys get their cars... the BMW-SG forum is rather quiet these days

• Praise 1

Good to hear that! Not many SEs entertain the M-sports package and suspension, according the the bros here.

I am surprised by the refinement of this car, but left a little cold on the audio side.

A nagging routine is to switch off the auto start/stop, switch to sports mode, as the car does not want to remember the functions...

I'm not power whore, and so far, even while running in, I'm not holding back the traffic.. so its fine for now.

Would be interesting we can organise an F22 meet-up when more guys get their cars... the BMW-SG forum is rather quiet these days

I didn't know about that, my SE was really helpful and allowed for all the changes i wanted, despite the paperwork.

Audio is a huge + for my bros but i guess for me it didn't matter since i don't listen to music and will more likely have the radio on.

I heard about the start stop thing, and many users on the US forums mentioned that they programmed it to always be off. Wonder how much that'd cost in singapore.

For me , i have no clue what traits in a car i would value until i have had more experience, but went for the 228i eitherway in case since it offers a great combination of sporty performance and ride comfort.

As for the seats, i really didn't like the look of the msports default seats, so i went for the leather seats.

Would love to meet other owners as you suggested :) what variant did you go for btw? And did you change anything or go for stock?

Edited by sheepysheep

I don't think there is power deficit in general unless you bump into S65AMG.

• Praise 1

Fair enough, given the 228 size its not hard to park and its a good car to build experience on that.

I also considered a 5er but not comfortable with the size and settled for a 328 but I also saw an article on the 228 which rates its handling as [thumbsup] you should definitely do a write up for our benefit :D

Does the car with HUD as standard? I know at one point the 328 did but not sure if they rolled it out across all variants.

On the tyres if you confirm want to change then best call a tyre shop setup the deal and swap immediately, question is if you want the rims swapped too?

New rfts the tyre shop take it at a pretty low price already but if used (even slightly) the value would drop by alot, you can use it first and see if another bro would wanna buy both tyres and rims together but no grantee.

Most cost efficient way would be to drive until its worn then swap it, rfts don't have great mileage anyway was told about 30K need to swap liao. Worse staggered cannot rotate.

228i should be Hi-fi Audio as standard I believe? That's above the base system and quite decent from the reviews.

I didn't know about that, my SE was really helpful and allowed for all the changes i wanted, despite the paperwork.

Audio is a huge + for my bros but i guess for me it didn't matter since i don't listen to music and will more likely have the radio on.

I heard about the start stop thing, and many users on the US forums mentioned that they programmed it to always be off. Wonder how much that'd cost in singapore.

For me , i have no clue what traits in a car i would value until i have had more experience, but went for the 228i eitherway in case since it offers a great combination of sporty performance and ride comfort.

As for the seats, i really didn't like the look of the msports default seats, so i went for the leather seats.

Would love to meet other owners as you suggested :) what variant did you go for btw? And did you change anything or go for stock?

Fair enough, given the 228 size its not hard to park and its a good car to build experience on that.

I also considered a 5er but not comfortable with the size and settled for a 328 but I also saw an article on the 228 which rates its handling as [thumbsup] you should definitely do a write up for our benefit :D

Does the car with HUD as standard? I know at one point the 328 did but not sure if they rolled it out across all variants.

On the tyres if you confirm want to change then best call a tyre shop setup the deal and swap immediately, question is if you want the rims swapped too?

New rfts the tyre shop take it at a pretty low price already but if used (even slightly) the value would drop by alot, you can use it first and see if another bro would wanna buy both tyres and rims together but no grantee.

Most cost efficient way would be to drive until its worn then swap it, rfts don't have great mileage anyway was told about 30K need to swap liao. Worse staggered cannot rotate.

228i should be Hi-fi Audio as standard I believe? That's above the base system and quite decent from the reviews.

Indeed. I actually expressed interest for a 520 or 328 first to the SE. she was really helpful and actually let me put a refundable "interest priority deposit" for the facelifted 328 series that was supposed to arrive at the year end. I thought i had made my decision then, but when i sat in the 2 series, i realized the front seats were about the same in terms of space, and i don't really have need for back seats at all except for in rare occasions. I really really liked the feeling of compactness for some weird reason, despite the fact that i'm tall and big.

I will be happy to do a video or article when i collect the vehicle. (I'm doing that sorta stuff for my company half the time anyway though not car related :P) Pretty sure that would be enjoyable.

I likely will not change the rims. (Will it be good to do so? Or rather, is there a good reason to do so rather than just changing the tyres?) i like the look of the msports rims, but is there any reason to change?. Thanks for the advice on my options for the tyres btw, its good food for thought.

I don't think hi-fi audio is default, don't see it on the list, and i didn't even look at audio, though maybe i should have.

Edited by sheepysheep
  • Praise 1

Usually rims are changed for looks which means also going on size up 19's, of course if you go for lighter rims that's will give some improvement on speed but I reckon it will not be worth the additional cost incurred. Anyway several online sources indicate 18 is actually the best size to have for performance and the M rims should already be 18's so if your not the pimp my ride type :) I dun think there's a need for a rim change.

I was tempted to change mine to 19's at first but the additional cost and increase chances of curb rash made me think otherwise (and ride discomfort)

On the audio no worries, there are always way to upgrade it after you get the car if you really want to (save the cost if not), elebest can upgrade to original HK (not cheap) or I am sure there are many reputable custom audio houses which can do a similar job for a lower cost.

Look forward to your review :D

Indeed. I actually expressed interest for a 520 or 328 first to the SE. she was really helpful and actually let me put a refundable "interest priority deposit" for the facelifted 328 series that was supposed to arrive at the year end. I thought i had made my decision then, but when i sat in the 2 series, i realized the front seats were about the same in terms of space, and i don't really have need for back seats at all except for in rare occasions. I really really liked the feeling of compactness for some weird reason, despite the fact that i'm tall and big.

I will be happy to do a video or article when i collect the vehicle. (I'm doing that sorta stuff for my company half the time anyway though not car related :P) Pretty sure that would be enjoyable.

I likely will not change the rims. (Will it be good to do so? Or rather, is there a good reason to do so rather than just changing the tyres?) i like the look of the msports rims, but is there any reason to change?. Thanks for the advice on my options for the tyres btw, its good food for thought.

I don't think hi-fi audio is default, don't see it on the list, and i didn't even look at audio, though maybe i should have.

I thought 2 series is a mini MPV and soon 7 seater MPV to be rolled out? Got Coupe? Now am getting confused,

2 series is a confusing series (even to BMW Fan boy). It is split 2 platform:

RWD: F20/21 was previously 1 series coupe (E82 & E88)

FWD: UKL1 platform which resulted in mini MPV & MPV

Edited by Davidtch

Yep,

Pretty much at the moment its :

F22 - 2 SERIES Coupe, Available in 4 flavors in Singapore (218i , 220i, 228i and M235i)

F23 - 2 SERIES Convertible , Available in 4 flavors in Singapore (218i , 220i, 228i and M235i)

F45 - 2 series active tourer and MPV (Grand Tourer?) These are based on a totally different platform and not to be confused with the first two. Believe only the active tourer is listed in singapore now by AD

↡ Advertisement