Michelin Pilot Sport 4

Divers

i think u type wrongly.

ps4 got make in thai and eu correct.

but u see your previous post, mention ps4s got make in thai also??

which mr robert doubt so. i also think dun have.

I'm still on my TH PS4s after 30k km. Still going pretty decent. I do feel that the EU PS4s dont screech as much on a carpark surface while the TH PS4s make quite a lot of noise

The small caps (PS4s) implies that I'm referring to PS4 tires I have on my car. If I had put PS4Ss then yes I would be referring to those PS4S tires which are better than the PSS. There is a reason why it's small "s" but I guess he can't differentiate. Isn't there a dedicated PS4S topic?

His is a small cap "s", meaning plural.

So PS4S made in EU at the moment also not suitable for use in tropical Singapore till they move production to Thailand?  

Yes precisely.

Haha there are so many cars in SG with PS4S liao. So i guess it works fine.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

His is a small cap "s", meaning plural.

So PS4S made in EU at the moment also not suitable for use in tropical Singapore till they move production to Thailand?  

no la. i think this agrument quite bullsh--.

as long as summer touring tyres suitable to use in sg.

see all the conti like 5 series,

orginal RFT  tyres all make in europe,

bridgestone make in poland.

goodyear germany

pirelli germany , romania

etc etc, dun tell me all these tyres not suitable to use in sg??

the problem is not country of make, but rather PI or AD.

for example, PI tyres like pirelli some time they bring in 'ALL SEASONS'  tyres.

which compound is cater to able to use in winter etc ( i guess so?)

which still can be use in sg also , but of course not 'SO' good la,

if compare directly to a pure summer compound tyres. 

• Praise 2

It's not the country of make.

It's how the ADs spec the tyres that are brought in.

I saw with my own eyes, side-by-side, two different variants of the Michelin PS4. Both are the same size (225/45 R17).

The parallel imported ones have a much softer sidewall. The local AD version has a stiffer sidewall.

The tyre shop I went to basically only carry AD PS4 tyres, but they also have people buy from an online website and they only do installation, so I was there and so happened they had both tyres right in front of me to show me.

if liddat jialat liao.

My PS4 front left side is AD tyre, right side PI tyre.  So will my car oversteer or understeer to the left or right.

tolong tolong help help.

Edited by Ahbengdriver

Currently on PS3.

Question - how often you guys change your tires? (in terms of years, not mileage).

Cos my mileage is ~10k a year and parked under the hot sun, then some people say sun and rain causes tires to harden etc.

Looking to get PS4 or CSC5 next, but unsure if I should change tyres after only 2 years and 20k+ distance. PS4S seems to ex.

if liddat jialat liao.

My PS4 front left side is AD tyre, right side PI tyre.  So will my car oversteer or understeer to the left or right.

tolong tolong help help.

Eh... maybe with your help,  can we demystify AD vs PI once and for all.  

Please help to check and post the following for both tyres :-

Width / Height / Diameter

Load Index / Speed

Country 

Tread Plies    

Sidewall Plies

E.g.

205/55/16

94W

Thailand

2 Polyester + 2 Steel + 1 Polyamide

2 Polyester

The tread and sidewall plies should hold the key between AD vs PI. 

TIA.

Edited by Kklee
  • Praise 1

Currently on PS3.

Question - how often you guys change your tires? (in terms of years, not mileage).

Cos my mileage is ~10k a year and parked under the hot sun, then some people say sun and rain causes tires to harden etc.

Looking to get PS4 or CSC5 next, but unsure if I should change tyres after only 2 years and 20k+ distance. PS4S seems to ex.

IMHO.

A tyre probably will last 5 or 6 years from date of manufacture (DOM).

Conservatively, I take it as 5 years.

Low risk,  discount 2 years from that i.e. 3 years from DOM.

Moderate risk, discount 1 year from that i.e. 4 years from DOM.

High risk, discount 0 year from that i.e. 5 years from DOM. 

Thus, the fresher the tyres, the better.

Also, do not wash often with harsh chemicals and hard scrubbing.

Apply tyre dressing more often. 

• Praise 1

It's not the country of make.

It's how the ADs spec the tyres that are brought in.

I saw with my own eyes, side-by-side, two different variants of the Michelin PS4. Both are the same size (225/45 R17).

The parallel imported ones have a much softer sidewall. The local AD version has a stiffer sidewall.

The tyre shop I went to basically only carry AD PS4 tyres, but they also have people buy from an online website and they only do installation, so I was there and so happened they had both tyres right in front of me to show me.

https://www.carlist.my/news/review-michelin-pilot-sport-4-shifting-goalposts/42167/

The compound does vary a little between different tyre sizes; those marked with an “ST” label are using a compound developed for the ASEAN region, while those that don’t have the label will use a European compound instead.

This might be the reason but hard to believe Michelin would allow European made PS4 summer tyres to be used in SG if they are deemed to be unsuitable or unsafe. A statement would do just fine.

• Praise 2

https://www.carlist.my/news/review-michelin-pilot-sport-4-shifting-goalposts/42167/

The compound does vary a little between different tyre sizes; those marked with an “ST” label are using a compound developed for the ASEAN region, while those that don’t have the label will use a European compound instead.

This might be the reason but hard to believe Michelin would allow European made PS4 summer tyres to be used in SG if they are deemed to be unsuitable or unsafe. A statement would do just fine.

Good point. I wasn't really paying attention to the sidewall markings as I was more concerned with the tyres I was buying (GY AS3). I was only just feeling the stiffness of the sidewalls.

However the shop did mention about the local AD sidewall construction has more "reinforcement", not sure what he meant (this is a chinese to english translation btw).

If you ever chance across the PI or AD tyre, do help take note and share with the community. Thanks!

Eh... maybe with your help,  can we demystify AD vs PI once and for all.  

Please help to check and post the following for both tyres :-

Width / Height / Diameter

Load Index / Speed

Country 

Tread Plies    

Sidewall Plies

E.g.

205/55/16

94W

Thailand

2 Polyester + 2 Steel + 1 Polyamide

2 Polyester

The tread and sidewall plies should hold the key between AD vs PI. 

TIA.

Yes please help us.

• Praise 1

IMHO.

A tyre probably will last 5 or 6 years from date of manufacture (DOM).

Conservatively, I take it as 5 years.

Low risk,  discount 2 years from that i.e. 3 years from DOM.

Moderate risk, discount 1 year from that i.e. 4 years from DOM.

High risk, discount 0 year from that i.e. 5 years from DOM. 

Thus, the fresher the tyres, the better.

Also, do not wash often with harsh chemicals and hard scrubbing.

Apply tyre dressing more often. 

Thanks! I think I read somewhere that if you dont drive frequently it's different?

I drive an OPC so can go like 5 days without driving, and I read that not doing so causes the rubber to harden faster (and hence the timeframes you mentioned are actually much lower?)

Not sure. 

But that said I'm looking for performance (good grip) but value for money tires. Noise is ok for me. I think PS4 fits into this bucket? If someone can disagree please mention thanks!

Thanks! I think I read somewhere that if you dont drive frequently it's different?

I drive an OPC so can go like 5 days without driving, and I read that not doing so causes the rubber to harden faster (and hence the timeframes you mentioned are actually much lower?)

Not sure. 

But that said I'm looking for performance (good grip) but value for money tires. Noise is ok for me. I think PS4 fits into this bucket? If someone can disagree please mention thanks!

PS4 is on the pricey side. You can consider some of the Bridgesone Potenza range which is abit cheaper but also abit noisier.

hmm i think you all can try to use continental tyres which use Germany technology in designing with the safety criteria and serve best performance to the car user.. every time i go change my car tyres and car foreman recommend me choose this continental tyres to use

Not sure. 

I think what you are referring to is flat spots - different from hardening.

If really want to delay the deterioration,  can consider tyre covers.

The sun direction also plays a part as the tyres on the side facing the sun gets hotter and expose to more UV. 

hmm i think you all can try to use continental tyres which use Germany technology in designing with the safety criteria and serve best performance to the car user.. every time i go change my car tyres and car foreman recommend me choose this continental tyres to use

for me i think it should depend on the budget see how much you want spent on changing tyres

if you budget have limit so better you choose the economy type one due to the price is cheaper than premiun

i also use this continental tyres on my car because it is quite well for using due to consider of low level noisy when i'm driving compared to other brand of tyres somemore the price of continental tyres is slightly cheaper than michelin

He is probably incentivized to sell Conti tyres, if he is an AD, they will need to meet certain volume to keep the dealership, I think. I used to be on CSC3 and they are good tyres.  

if liddat jialat liao.

My PS4 front left side is AD tyre, right side PI tyre. So will my car oversteer or understeer to the left or right.

tolong tolong help help.

I pray for you....

if liddat jialat liao.

tolong tolong help help.

are both the tires wear out the same? If possible try to replace or rotate your front and back to the same type if not possible it should not cause any issues as the tread are of the same design just the compound different. 

I tried before installing new tires same model PS3 but they are of different YOM no issues. 

↡ Advertisement