Michelin Pilot Sport 4

Divers

Actually, country of manufacturing do make a difference due to different compound used even for the same exact tyre model, design and size.

In fact, given the same tyre model with same size, 2 identical tyres with different countries manufactured will have different weight.

althought this is very true.

but i think as long as its make for summer use

no matter make for eu summer or make for asia summer.

it should be good enough for our cars and road.

esp in this case michelin.

( and dun think thailand make confirm is agent stock.)

↡ Advertisement

althought this is very true.

but i think as long as its make for summer use

no matter make for eu summer or make for asia summer.

it should be good enough for our cars and road.

esp in this case michelin.

( and dun think thailand make confirm is agent stock.)

Yes, agreed with you.

In actual fact in recent years, well known tyres like PS4 and RE003 etc are mostly Made in Thailand now which help to bring down prices and more affordable now.

Yes, agreed with you.

In actual fact in recent years, well known tyres like PS4 and RE003 etc are mostly Made in Thailand now which help to bring down prices and more affordable now.

Actually not true. Made in Thailand stocks are more expensive as they are distributed through authorised distributors. The cost is lower to Michelin to distribute but the cost savings do not get passed on to consumers usually. It’s the PI stocks that’s made in Europe imported by the PI which help to bring down the cost as AD cannot sell too expensive.

Think it like the case of made in Thailand Toyota and Honda.. they cost much lesser than the made in Japan but but the AD sell it more ex than PI Toyota and Honda

But Michelin makes good tyres.. I have no used the made in Thailand AD stocks but my made in Poland Michelin is at 39k now and it’s working totally fine

Hope someone can enlighten me..

If PS2 is replaced by PSS. And PSS is replaced by PS4S, how come PS2 tyres are still available in the market?

What is the significance of the "N" ratings/mark in Michelin tyres?

Thanks much.

Hope someone can enlighten me..

If PS2 is replaced by PSS. And PSS is replaced by PS4S, how come PS2 tyres are still available in the market?

Thanks much.

produced for some emerging country and brought in by PI? just guessing

My PS3 ST bought 2+ years ago, was made in Germany.

My current PS3 ST, from the same tyre shop, is now made in Thailand.

Actually can’t tell much of a difference re dry/wet grip, and road noise - between the two.

Time will tell if the wear rate is similar.

Supercharged

N is for Porsche

Edited by Eyke
  • Praise 2

Does Michelin in particular PS4 205/50ZR16 Made in Thailand has any match mounting marking like the colour dots on Yokohama tyres?

Otherwise, what is the correct way of matching mounting PS4?

I asked because the workshop I went to install is the distributor of the group buy rims I joined. I opted for PS4 which they had to special indent because they do not represent this brand. The first time it was mounted and balanced, all the 4 wheels had counter weights as much as 10 pieces just on the outer rim. I had them remounted and balanced and it was reduced to 5 or less on either side of each rims. It could be reduced only because they had the reference of the first mount. I was told they usually follow the date marking if there is no match mounting markers. Can anyone verify if this is correct?

By the way, internal TPMS sensors were also installed but 1 was damaged. 

Having lost confidence in them, I went to LS to replace the sensor when the replacement sensor arrived. However, the first mount also resulted in as much as 10 pieces of counter weights on the outer rim and redoing still left it with 6.

At this point I was told Michelin do not have match mounting marking because their tyres are made with min weight difference on the entire circumference. If so, is it because of internal tpms sensor that made it "imbalance"? Anyway, I was then told in order to have min counter weights for Michelin, the only way is to use the more expensive road force balancer. I opted out not because of additional cost but rather I do not want to risk the other 3 tyres sensor being damage while remounting so just opting to road force balance one tyre doesn't make sense.

So anyone knows what is the proper way to match mount PS4 with and without internal tpms sensor and does it requires road force balancing to properly match mount?

Does Michelin in particular PS4 205/50ZR16 Made in Thailand has any match mounting marking like the colour dots on Yokohama tyres?

Otherwise, what is the correct way of matching mounting PS4?

I asked because the workshop I went to install is the distributor of the group buy rims I joined. I opted for PS4 which they had to special indent because they do not represent this brand. The first time it was mounted and balanced, all the 4 wheels had counter weights as much as 10 pieces just on the outer rim. I had them remounted and balanced and it was reduced to 5 or less on either side of each rims. It could be reduced only because they had the reference of the first mount. I was told they usually follow the date marking if there is no match mounting markers. Can anyone verify if this is correct?

By the way, internal TPMS sensors were also installed but 1 was damaged.

Having lost confidence in them, I went to LS to replace the sensor when the replacement sensor arrived. However, the first mount also resulted in as much as 10 pieces of counter weights on the outer rim and redoing still left it with 6.

At this point I was told Michelin do not have match mounting marking because their tyres are made with min weight difference on the entire circumference. If so, is it because of internal tpms sensor that made it "imbalance"? Anyway, I was then told in order to have min counter weights for Michelin, the only way is to use the more expensive road force balancer. I opted out not because of additional cost but rather I do not want to risk the other 3 tyres sensor being damage while remounting so just opting to road force balance one tyre doesn't make sense.

So anyone knows what is the proper way to match mount PS4 with and without internal tpms sensor and does it requires road force balancing to properly match mount?

What rims are u using? I will explain why I asked after I know what rims are those.

Enkei SC46. Taiwan not Japan Enkei.

Ok thanks. My thinking is the rim is very well made and balanced.

Coupled with the tpms and Tyre, that's why u need lots of counterweights to balance it out.

If the rim itself is not fully round and balanced, the tpms and Tyre will counterbalance it and thus don't need so many weights.

This was said to me by LS.

• Praise 1

Ok thanks. My thinking is the rim is very well made and balanced.

Coupled with the tpms and Tyre, that's why u need lots of counterweights to balance it out.

If the rim itself is not fully round and balanced, the tpms and Tyre will counterbalance it and thus don't need so many weights.

This was said to me by LS.

What you said make sense. I'll need to check if the weights are opposite side of the valve given that the valve is now the heaviest side with the internal tpms. In the absence of tpms the valve is usually the lightest side of the rim and should be matched with the heaviest part of the tyre.

So it's true Michelin does not have match mounting markers?

• Praise 1

What you said make sense. I'll need to check if the weights are opposite side of the valve given that the valve is now the heaviest side with the internal tpms. In the absence of tpms the valve is usually the lightest side of the rim and should be matched with the heaviest part of the tyre.

So it's true Michelin does not have match mounting markers?

I don't really know about Mich.. sorry

produced for some emerging country and brought in by PI? just guessing

All these tyres are still listed on the michelin Spore website though. So I am totally confused...   [grin]

• Praise 1

All these tyres are still listed on the michelin Spore website though. So I am totally confused...   [grin]

Go & read the sizing chart

https://www.michelin.com.sg/SG/en/tires/products/pilot-sport-ps2.html

Designed for PORSCHE

Designed for BMW

Designed for Mercedes-Benz, Designed for MERCEDES

It is still there as OE equipment for those model it was designed for.

Edited by Davidtch
  • Praise 1

Got it @davidtch. Looks like the PS2 available sizes are mostly Porsche sizes/ designed for Porsches..

Edited by Longhorn

N is for Porsche

OK.. I found out a bit more about the N rating (applies to other ratings for BMW and Merc too). Following is a comment I found elsewhere by a UK Michelin Technical Manager:

"Well... "N" rating and general homologation is that $64k question.. 

And to be honest, a lot of the time, could we feel much difference , probably not.. 
Ok, so back in the mists of time when earlier 911's were a little bit more tricky to drive, the "n" rating and homologation sometimes gave Porsche and the tyre manufacturers, the ability to tune a product to specifically give the car a type of handling behavior that suited with the characteristics of the car, e.g. it could be a tuned front or rear tyre to re-balance the car. 

With most homologations, it's a filter process. We will start with a size that the manufacturer wants, and undergo extensive testing, both at our tracks and their own facilities. This will then lead to a direction or correction that will then lead to other solutions being tried, and or developed. 

From a manufacturers point of view, if we make a specific size and pattern, then tune it away from the "standard" tyre, we end up with a product that needs to be differentiatied from the standard tyre, hence we mark them, "N" Porsche, "*" BMW & "MO" Mercedes for example. 

The tweaks can be anything from compound to construction to physical size and shape (often to fit under the arch or clear suspension) so the changes can be slight to major. 

The best comparison is like saying a standard tyre is an "off the peg suit" where as the tuned tyre is "Bespoke tailoring". Hence with an "N" marked tyre, it will have been extensively tested by Porsche and the tyre manufacturer to get the absolute best out of the car and tyre combination. 

So, whilst we might not feel a huge difference on road or track, normally the "N" rated tyre will always have more potential left in it. There is the odd occasion where a new product will be better, but if it hasn't got that all important "N" rating, its a tough call. Especially if your car is under warranty, as some Porsche main dealers will not entertain a non "n" rated tyre on a car if you have a warranty claim."