Michelin Pilot Sport 4

Divers

despite both totally same model same design and size.

as long as make in different factory confirm got different.

source of raw material is 1 important factor already .

i read from some report last time they do a test on conti tyres compare with a burget brand.

conti rubber have much lesser air bubbles inside their tyres ( i dun know how u call it)

in another word, their rubber compound is much more denser.

the steel thread of the tyres, might be different quality also

No wonder my Thai PS4 needs changing at only 26k mileage
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3

Ps4 vs ps4st. So they are actually different tyres diff specs hence different weight. Might not have anything to do with country of manufacture.

I recalled someone in forums said that st means silent tuned but i couldnt find any official info on this online. So 1 year ago i enquired michelin about it and this was the answer they gave, as attached. I thought it looked like a comparison between ps4 and ps4s, not st. But they insist it is ps4 vs ps4st. Sorry i did not persist.

attachicon.gif20190318_224353.jpg

attachicon.gif20190318_225408.jpg

Based on what I found on Michelin website, it seems that there are only Michelin Pilot Sport 4 (which is listed as PS4 ST) and Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S (which have a different thread design, and available in only 19" & 20").

Michelin Passenger Car Tyres

90b7C4W.png

WQIfICN.png

ecWT2Q6.png

And last, the reply you have gotten from Michelin (for PS4 ST) are actual meant for PS4 S...

CBxsWmj.jpg

• Praise 7

Manufactured in Europe

dRN0V9Q.jpg

Manufactured in Thailand

CBeMMsU.jpg

I have a feeling the reason for the weight difference is because the thailand one has a stiffer sidewall.

I have a feeling the reason for the weight difference is because the thailand one has a stiffer sidewall.

nothing is Equal .is this World

so just remember what you paid is what you get .

dont blame sellers , installer or Mnaufacturers should you have issue , 

PI car Generally cost less , but don't expect all PI seller will provide same Technical and after sales service level as Agent

just MHO

Edited by Roberttan
  • Praise 1

Neutral Newbie

Anyone know where i can find PS4 215/40/17? Not a standard size so I assume it would be PI.

Any info is greatly appreciated

Am also on thai PS4. still going strong at 40% thread left. just that it's a bit noisy now.

Seeking gurus advice.

Just discovered this cut or crack after my internal TyreDog TD1800 TPVMS vibration alert sounded. This model support vibration detection thus the "V". No foreign object found and not leaking. Not sure if this happened way before or just but the foreign object dislodged or I ran over it without it getting stuck. Did not felt I ran over anything though. As I needed to fetch my daughter earlier from school I drove to her school 14km away with no issue. PS4 made in Thailand, bought from local agent about 1.5yrs yrs ago but only about 10k mileage.

1) Is this a defect and claimable?

2) Is it still safe to drive in the meantime ? For peace of mind, I will still change it within this week.20191112_085608.thumb.jpg.59d3d6aecd92cc638b0a89619816c2b0.jpg

20191112_091753.jpg

3 hours ago, Carz73 said:

Seeking gurus advice.

Just discovered this cut or crack after my internal TyreDog TD1800 TPVMS vibration alert sounded. This model support vibration detection thus the "V". No foreign object found and not leaking. Not sure if this happened way before or just but the foreign object dislodged or I ran over it without it getting stuck. Did not felt I ran over anything though. As I needed to fetch my daughter earlier from school I drove to her school 14km away with no issue. PS4 made in Thailand, bought from local agent about 1.5yrs yrs ago but only about 10k mileage.

1) Is this a defect and claimable?

2) Is it still safe to drive in the meantime ? For peace of mind, I will still change it within this week.20191112_085608.thumb.jpg.59d3d6aecd92cc638b0a89619816c2b0.jpg

20191112_091753.jpg

Looks more like a cut than manufaturing defects. i doubt it is safe to drive further. patching should not be able to help. I think the air pressure will slowly release air.

for safety, suggest to change them.

3 hours ago, StreamRSZ said:

Looks more like a cut than manufaturing defects. i doubt it is safe to drive further. patching should not be able to help. I think the air pressure will slowly release air.

for safety, suggest to change them.

Sorry didn't realise my post has photo alignment issue as posted on mobile. Can't edit already.

I seem to recall ever seen it on my tyre before but it was like a very thin and shallow scratch.

Wonder if this is what they call dry rot and it deteriorated over time.

Don't mean to be a scare monger but a quick google of "dry rot" "michelin" seems to have quite a few hits.

Not sure if it's important to mention this. PS4 (ST for Thailand made) 205/50R16 on a Sienta Hybrid. 1yr 8mth old 10k mileage (installed in March 2018 but manufactured Sept 2017). Wheel alignment done on installation date. 1 month back since about due for rotation (still yet to rotate), I look at the tread wear and noticed on both front tyres, inner and outer shoulder wears out evenly in relation to each other but almost to flat but center still has plenty of thread. I read this is caused by underinflation. However, I already pumped more than recommended at 260kpa/38psi when hot. At this pressure, tyre bulge at the sidewall can still be seen a little. I could only guess is due to the front of the car very heavy or the sidewall is very soft. Rear tyres at same pressure no bulge, even wear and plenty of thread left.

Was hoping the tyre could have lasted longer with at least 1 time rotation before changing all 4 to Yokohama Advan dB V552 but now a bit wasted so dunno if I should just change the front pair only or all 4.

On 3/19/2019 at 4:29 PM, Theoldjaffa said:
On 3/19/2019 at 3:01 PM, Beregond said:

Hi Where to buy 205/55/16 PS4  Michelin Tires?

despite both totally same model same design and size.

as long as make in different factory confirm got different.

source of raw material is 1 important factor already .

i read from some report last time they do a test on conti tyres compare with a burget brand.

conti rubber have much lesser air bubbles inside their tyres ( i dun know how u call it)

in another word, their rubber compound is much more denser.

the steel thread of the tyres, might be different quality also

tires is not differentiate by Country of Manufactured , is BY the Formula and Construction of the tyre. (base on same Size and Model / pattern)

tires are developed and Made base on the application and Weather ,is definitely not a good Idea to run a tires are Made  For Winter weather .  

Changed from PS3 to PS4 recently. Done 1.5k km so far n happy with it. 

Only that there is a faint "weeee" noise when driving in car park which I didn't notice with PS3 when new. But it us faint n only audible with Windows down while driving. 

16 minutes ago, ConnorMcLeod said:

Changed from PS3 to PS4 recently. Done 1.5k km so far n happy with it. 

Only that there is a faint "weeee" noise when driving in car park which I didn't notice with PS3 when new. But it us faint n only audible with Windows down while driving. 

Huh? IMO you may have just run in the tires.

You should give more comparisons between the two, like wet and dry performance, fuel economy, comfort, road noise at low speeds and expressway cruising speeds etc. You know, the typical info on tires.

Just changed out my factory installed staggered 19” RFT tires to PS4S.

immediately feels the ride is more cushy everything seems more serene.

Surprised at the Threadwear of 300 and it is indicated as Made in France.

8 hours ago, Akula said:

Just changed out my factory installed staggered 19” RFT tires to PS4S.

immediately feels the ride is more cushy everything seems more serene.

Surprised at the Threadwear of 300 and it is indicated as Made in France.

thanks for sharing your Positive Experience

switching from Run flat to Non run flat usually the ride comfort will improved more or less, this Particular PS4S is very good High Performance and  low noise ,comfort (surprised) , but they only available 19 " and above At the moment.

regarding Threadwear 300 (good) 

country of origin for MIchelin UHP are mostly from Europe and USA(they are very open about this Origin issue)

34 minutes ago, Roberttan said:

thanks for sharing your Positive Experience

switching from Run flat to Non run flat usually the ride comfort will improved more or less, this Particular PS4S is very good High Performance and  low noise ,comfort (surprised) , but they only available 19 " and above At the moment.

regarding Threadwear 300 (good) 

country of origin for MIchelin UHP are mostly from Europe and USA(they are very open about this Origin issue)

When I switch from Conti RFT to PSS, ride comfort did not improve. The sidewall is as hard as Conti RFT. Both tyres are 17”.

Ride comfort improves once I switch to PS4

Edited by inlinesix

43 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

When I switch from Conti RFT to PSS, ride comfort did not improve. The sidewall is as hard as Conti RFT. Both tyres are 17”.

whats your exact size?

i see most michelin tyres like pss ps4 sidewall all very soft 1. i can flex it with 1 hand.

unless those extreme low profile

3 hours ago, inlinesix said:

PS4s replaced PSS,PS4 replaced PS3 which is a comfort based Model.

↡ Advertisement