Michelin Pilot Sport 4

Divers

94W is extra load

Boss, usually eXtra Load will have a XL label.

For a 16" 55 profile tire, I think it is just a normal tire, just better rated.

↡ Advertisement

i see. maybe the suspension is already worn and just nice after you changed the tyre it kaput?

this reminds me of a similar situation that my colleague shared. Different brand but same RON rating.

he switched from Esso RON95 to SPC RON95 as his tank was really low and SPC was the nearest station that time.

Although he dislikes SPC but LL no choice gotta pump. His fuel pump malfunctioned a few days later. He claimed that SPC petrol quality is lousy thus causing the pump to spoil, cos he used Esso and no issues at all before.

Strange if u ask me, or just sheer coincidence? anyway he's the type that whatever he thinks, he's correct one.  [laugh]

IIRC,  the car mileage was 40k, too soon for wear and tear.  Perhaps that shock absorber quality is not up to mark too. 

On your colleague situation,  the fuel keeps the fuel pump cool, thus a very low fuel level may cause premature fuel pump malfunction.  The design of the fuel tank also play a part,  

I go according to manufacturer's specs.

I know probably 94W is a better tyre than 91V - but there is too many unknown for me.

If there is no need for a lower rated PS4,  then it should be there in the first place.

Very likely different country because one is Authorized Distributor (94W) and Parallel Importer (91V).

I agree probably 94W is a better tyre.  

I am skeptical if the suspension of my bread and butter car sedan can take the "performance".

Bro, some tires are OE (original equipment) that are shipped with new cars. Not necessarily it can be purchased through AD channels.

For example, some halo cars like the Bugatti Veyron or Jaguar XJ220, have specially manufactured and rated tires for use with their cars. Using other tires with lesser ratings will cause handling and safety issues at speeds.

For B&B cars, if you are concerned about comfort and suspension longevity, get that type of tires.

If you are concerned about dry/wet braking, and composure in corners, get that type of tires.

For all tires, ensure the pressures are correct.

I think there is a Bridgestone GR80/90 thread somewhere. Do have a look

Eeh... v or w is the maximum speed rating of the tyres.. V for used up to 240kmh, w =280kmh. I think you think too much over a 94w vs 91v rating between same brand and same model tyres from different place of manufacturing.. if it's Michelin or Continental.. QC should be ok.. although having said that, I wouldn't buy made in china Michelin though

Bro, some tires are OE (original equipment) that are shipped with new cars. Not necessarily it can be purchased through AD channels.

For example, some halo cars like the Bugatti Veyron or Jaguar XJ220, have specially manufactured and rated tires for use with their cars. Using other tires with lesser ratings will cause handling and safety issues at speeds.

For B&B cars, if you are concerned about comfort and suspension longevity, get that type of tires.

If you are concerned about dry/wet braking, and composure in corners, get that type of tires.

For all tires, ensure the pressures are correct.

I think there is a Bridgestone GR80/90 thread somewhere. Do have a look

I "made" that mistake with my previous car.  

The original tyres are like semi-performance that has stiffer sidewalls.  

I changed to the comfort based GR80 and that gave the passengers a up down roller coaster ride. [laugh]

The only tyre which has size and similar to the original tyres were the Falken ZE912. 

Thus I would say that the suspension and tyres must match to work together. 

PS3 (91W) works great but was tad stiff.

I am hoping with the 91V PS4, the side walls would be softer compared to the PS3.

The tyre vendor seems to indicate so when check with them on the 91V and not the 94W. 

I "made" that mistake with my previous car.  

The original tyres are like semi-performance that has stiffer sidewalls.  

I changed to the comfort based GR80 and that gave the passengers a up down roller coaster ride. [laugh]

The only tyre which has size and similar to the original tyres were the Falken ZE912. 

Thus I would say that the suspension and tyres must match to work together. 

PS3 (91W) works great but was tad stiff.

I am hoping with the 91V PS4, the side walls would be softer compared to the PS3.

The tyre vendor seems to indicate so when check with them on the 91V and not the 94W. 

There is a possibility your tire pressure is incorrect.

If you have have noticed, there are recommended tire pressure values for various rim size/passenger load combinations, but it may vary with other factors too.

For the GR-80, you may have used too high a pressure. Most tire shops pump like 250kpa or more for new tires when it could well require only 180-220kpa for high profile tires.

Fuel economy is a key consideration in tire pressure recommendation. Suspension lifespan, well... it may have be taking a back seat

No one size fits all lar, I fill with different pressure for different tyre brand... Use the butts feel to gauge the best pressure for that particular tyre to your liking and driving style...

Pirelli no good, Goodyear also no good, are you sure you not Michelin salesman?  [laugh]

I really wish Michelin would take me in or at least pay me to write reviews. Haha. I spent 3k going through 3 sets of tires within a span of a few months. Y'all should be happy that you get an independent review from someone who spent his own money going through 3 different tires within 3 months. If you have 3k to blow on tires, I would suggest you do what I did and review 3 sets of tires. I wouldn't spend 3k on tires only to lie to you guys right?

Jokes aside, I only trust Michelin when it comes to performance tires. I've driven on a couple of tires and so far PSS, Goodyear AS2, AS3, PS4, AD08R and even the latest PZ4. So far PSS is the best in terms of dry performance. While the PS4 doesn't disappoint, I feel that dry grip could be better if it were on par with PSS. PS4 has about 90-95% of the dry performance that PSS has and the sidewall of PS4 could look a bit more atas. Once you get a set of Michelins, you will find other tires inferior. AD08R is a tire that one can consider for very good dry grip. It has better dry grip than PSS. However you need to be very careful in the rain. It tends to aquaplane a lot. The bulk of us here are looking for well balanced tires with some performance. So far only Michelin has proven itself to be a worthy contender.

I find the Pirelli Zero series tyres to be excellent tyres leh... just noisy and hard sidewall..

But I think bec I drive like pussy wimps that's why most tyres acceptable to me... only tyres I think is like having really bad grip is Toyo Open Country UT... if you don't need to drive off road more than 50% of the time.. avoid these series of Toyo tyres

Not quite. If you see tire tests, PZero doesn't fair very well amongst brands like Michelin.

I always say this but my PSS had done 20000km now and vs day-1, the performance is still like 90-95% as good vs new.  Noisier by 10% also perhaps.

What a great tyre n well worth the moneyn .  Looks like can go another 10000 to 15000km more before ending.  Planning to go with PS4 when current PSS is done, to save some cost ! 

• Praise 1

i realise Goodyears give better FC, not sure if the bros here concur.

on my previous car, F1A2 gives me about 0.5km/l better mileage compared to PS3.

i'm now on PS4, i see others getting 9+ km/l but i'm only getting 8+ haha

First few thousand km not accurate wan la. Maybe you enjoy the tyres so much that you have been stepping really really hard ........... to see what are the limits.

First few thousand km not accurate wan la. Maybe you enjoy the tyres so much that you have been stepping really really hard ........... to see what are the limits.

I think driver weight problem not car problem. [laugh]

You whacking your throttle at green light izzit? [laugh]

Jokes aside, usually that difference in fc, tyres aside, due to petrol brand I think based on my use of 3 petrol brands.

No leh, my F1A2s and PS4s on the same car gave exactly the same lousy FC, 7km/l +/- 5%. But i did notice that rolling resistance for the PS4s seems lower though, it rolls quite a bit further when i clutch in coasting to the redlight.

The new F1A3s FC is gd though. I can get 0.5 to 1 km/l better, although after a while, i realised that the F1A3s lose tyre pressure faster than the earlier Primacys, top up 10kPa a week vs 5kPa every 2 weeks. Persists even after i chg valve stems. Wonder if its because of the softer sidewalls flexing more, since pressure loss is even all round. Still as comfy and quiet as day 1 after 5k km.

I always say this but my PSS had done 20000km now and vs day-1, the performance is still like 90-95% as good vs new.  Noisier by 10% also perhaps.

What a great tyre n well worth the moneyn .  Looks like can go another 10000 to 15000km more before ending.  Planning to go with PS4 when current PSS is done, to save some cost ! 

Go for PS4S la. Dont waste time on PS4.

Yes. Very true. Goodyear has low rolling resistance. Hence the low grip. I get 1km/l less with PS4.

I think driver weight problem not car problem. [laugh]

You whacking your throttle at green light izzit? [laugh]

Jokes aside, usually that difference in fc, tyres aside, due to petrol brand I think based on my use of 3 petrol brands.

i am considered light liao leh lol

Goodyear's rating is B. i remember Michelin's is E. hehehe

post-1798-0-40210100-1485419073_thumb.jpg

↡ Advertisement