Can i urge everyone to repair your brake lights please?

Rayoflight

I, by every means possible, have indicated to fellow drivers that they forgot to switch on headlights or braking lights not working.

To date, all my attempts have been unsuccessful.

[grin]

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

I, by every means possible, have indicated to fellow drivers that they forgot to switch on headlights or braking lights not working.

[grin]

Same here.

I even try use my hand and show the light thingy but ppl don get it.

• Praise 1

[grin]

That's because everyone on the road festers negative thoughts about the intentions of other road-users. They simply cannot entertain the idea that there exists people who mean well.

This brings into focus why car makers design instrument panels that light up the moment the engine is started. This is one very strong possibility why motorists are clueless when it comes to whether their headlights on on or off in the dark.

Why don't the bring back instrument panels that only light up when the pilot (small) lights are on? That would serve as a visual reminder to motorists to turn on their pilot, then headlights when its dark inside the cabin and they can't see the panel.

• Praise 1

Agree!!!!! i saw an GTI with flat tyre on rear, i just drive next to him and give him a honk to alert him and trying to tell him his tyre flat, and as a good deed payback, lim peh get a mid finger.

Recently when cycling to work a car passed me with a flat tire and then he moved into lane to turn onto the TPE. The tire was so flat it was almost on the rim, and it was really noisy too. I had to cross 3 lanes of traffic and stop my bike in front of him as he had no idea. He thought I was trying to start a fight, but when he moved out of that lane and to an area he could park he then realised the gravity of the situation.

And regularly will tap on drivers front lights when stopped at the lights as way to tell them their lights aren't on at night time. First reaction is always is that I am causing trouble. And then you do get the embarassed thank you.

Supercharged

Same here.

I even try use my hand and show the light thingy but ppl don get it.

If u show the twinkle twinkle little star signal to a lady driver.. she probably think u wanna squeeze her neh neh.. [laugh]

I usually categorize those cars with non-functioning 3rd brake lights into 2 groups:

1) Cars that has a different section of tail light lit up when braking (usually newer cars especially led ones, but some old cars still do)

2) Cars that just brighten a bit more when braking (eg taxi sonatas which you see very often with non-functioning 3rd brake light)

For no. 1 it is still relatively easy to tell that they are braking because a different section of the tail light lit up when braking, easy to spot.. in this case I will continue to stay behind them.

For no. 2 it is damn terrible to stay behind these cars.. because you have to give more focus to the tail lights to see if the car is braking or not.. I will usually try to change lanes because staying behind these cars is mentally draining and you usually have a slower reaction time to brake during emergencies because it takes a tad longer to register whether they are braking or not. [mad]

Thanks for this..wanted to type the same.. Some cars the brake light is integrated as 1 within the same housing as the taillight.

No.2 is truely the killer.. Their red taillights when braked still red..kan pua difficult to see

If u show the twinkle twinkle little star signal to a lady driver.. she probably think u wanna squeeze her neh neh.. [laugh]

twinkle to chio bu still ok

twinkle to lao goh or butch want to vomit

Sometimes i think it might save a man's life or maybe he's ferrying his family members in car. By the move i alert him, he might avoid a catastrophic diasaster.

But but but .......

Most of the time i get back a knnbccb face from them, anyway, i am not regret to let him know, who knows one day my tyre puncture while i travelling and i am not aware, others may alert me too.

• Praise 2

When there's opportunity to stop beside the car at a junction, I will tell him that his brake lights are spoiled. So far all of them are appreciative.

• Praise 1

Well, there was once i thought that a vehicle in front was not using its brake lights, and true enough, the lorry/van in front (can't remember as was quite some time ago) was able to control its throttle, gears, speed and balance that does not require braking through the corners and normal traffic.

This was revealed when it finally use a little of the brakes during the jam at the junction. Even slowing down can be controlled using throttle and gears ... amazing ! :o

• Praise 2

You can drive/ride for few kms without using brake, even down from MSCP, if you wanted it (if there's no vehicle behind). I use brake only to alert vehicles behind.

This is the power of manual transmission. [laugh] Just use the right gear and you can even enter a estate CP from a major road without brake to slow down. 

Well, there was once i thought that a vehicle in front was not using its brake lights, and true enough, the lorry/van in front (can't remember as was quite some time ago) was able to control its throttle, gears, speed and balance that does not require braking through the corners and normal traffic.

This was revealed when it finally use a little of the brakes during the jam at the junction. Even slowing down can be controlled using throttle and gears ... amazing ! :o

Edited by Kangadrool
  • Praise 2

This was a last model Civic which KM brought in with manual transmission option. So, could be a manual LJ driver. Stopped at junction with handbrake pulled up. Drive off....... looking at the traffic situation, it's highly possible to use no brake at all.

https://youtu.be/iR8iqaK3rdU

Saw this car with none of his brakelights working at all.

Supersonic

https://youtu.be/iR8iqaK3rdU

Saw this car with none of his brakelights working at all.

At least you did the right thing by keeping a distance away from  the car.

Daytime still ok.

If night time and the lights are really spoil, better don't drive behind this car for too long.  [sweatdrop]

Twincharged

This was a last model Civic which KM brought in with manual transmission option. So, could be a manual LJ driver. Stopped at junction with handbrake pulled up. Drive off....... looking at the traffic situation, it's highly possible to use no brake at all.

Possible. But I doubt so cuz his left hand busy with his phone. Probably looking for passenger to pick up as his car was empty.

One more possibily is that sonce it is manual, he might be playing with 3rd gear upshift downshift between slowdown and acceleration . But judging from the stock condition of the car , it did not appear like the driver was the type would handle the car this way.

The challenge with this car is even when both braklights fail and if he didnt pay attention when he reverse close to a wall during parking , he may not know he has blew both his bulbs.

Edited by Ct3833

This is only possible when:

1. It’s a manual transmission

2. Driving slowly and keep a ‘far’ distance of the car in front

3. Maybe some driving skills needed

It's not amazing especially for commercial vehicles running on diesel. The diesel engine produces more effective engine braking. Plus a lot of them are manual gears. From the way they are designed to carry cargo they are able to move off from stationary from 2nd or even 3rd gear. The 1st gear is only used when they have really heavy cargo or going up a ramp or both. Hence they are able to make use of the gear ratios and engine brake to control slow speeds. For bigger trucks and trailers(usually class 5) they have up to 16 sets of gear ratios to deal with heavy cargo and climbing up ramps.

For those with 4WD, eg. LR Defender, they are able engage the low ratio diff and fully release the clutch to creep at slow speeds w/o stalling the engine.

↡ Advertisement