Volvo S90 / V90

Carbon82

i think jaguar is still being made in UK.

Some ppl associate being ''made in china'' to cheap and low quality stuff. that could be true 10-20 years ago. Now so many electronic stuffs are being made there and competition among car makers is as high as ever.

I guess only time will tell if China made volvo are equal to swedish standards

When Volvo was sold to a China company years back, perceptions of some consumers globally already changed even manufacturing of some models stil resides in Europe. Same for India owned Jaguar LandRover, although not that bad.

Now some of these consumers are going to have or already have MIC Volvos in their markets like it never happened before. Wonder how these perceptions and with the introduction of MIC physical made cars going to affect Volvo, especially in car sales figures.

↡ Advertisement

it is easy to replicate the same factory as in Swede.

It’s not difficult to train local stuff to achieve 90% of Swede quality.

What’s difficult to replicate is supplier chain.

• Praise 1

To me, Volvo definitely make a wrong move by importing volvo that are made in china. There is a reason why BMW manufacture in china has the tag 华晨宝马 and not just 宝马 behind them. This applies to Mercedes manufacture in China tat has the tag behind them 北京奔驰 and not 奔驰. Just as Audi manufacture in China is known as 一汽奥迪 and not 奥迪.

Those that are imported from Germany into china are known as 宝马, 奔驰 and 奥迪 respectively. On the surface and exterior they might look the same. But the internal is another thing. A friend of mine from china quoted an example BMW X5. The imported one from Germany cost 2m RMB, while the china made one only cost 800 thousand RMB. Price for german made conti cars sometimes has a big gap in comparison to their china made cousins. And i am sure this is not just due to the import taxs.

But so why are there still a lot of people in china that are willing to shell out extras $$$ for the german made ones. It is not just coz of country of origin. But according to people i know from china, the German made one has better quality control and are different. While those made in china has a tendency to break down with lil problems here n there after 3 years.

How true this is i aren't sure. After all i have never truly experience it. But unless the price is 50% lower than current price. Otherwise I would still prefer my German Made Car to be truly made in german. Moreover, like it or not it is going to affect the resale price when u need to sell it next time.

• Praise 2

When Volvo was sold to a China company years back, perceptions of some consumers globally already changed even manufacturing of some models stil resides in Europe. Same for India owned Jaguar LandRover, although not that bad.

Now some of these consumers are going to have or already have MIC Volvos in their markets like it never happened before. Wonder how these perceptions and with the introduction of MIC physical made cars going to affect Volvo, especially in car sales figure

are they exporting to singapore only or the rest of asia?

I'm sure there will be impact. i think the impact is bigger here compared to other countries. Somehow we are more brand or quality conscious and we have the uniqueness (or trouble) of COE.

Who knows, maybe the car may cost cheaper and made more accessible to the mass market. 

To me, Volvo definitely make a wrong move by importing volvo that are made in china. There is a reason why BMW manufacture in china has the tag åæ¨å®é©¬ and not just å®é©¬ behind them. This applies to Mercedes manufacture in China tat has the tag behind them å京å¥é©° and not å¥é©°. Just as Audi manufacture in China is known as ä¸æ±½å¥¥è¿ª and not 奥迪.

Those that are imported from Germany into china are known as å®é©¬, å¥é©° and 奥迪 respectively. On the surface and exterior they might look the same. But the internal is another thing. A friend of mine from china quoted an example BMW X5. The imported one from Germany cost 2m RMB, while the china made one only cost 800 thousand RMB. Price for german made conti cars sometimes has a big gap in comparison to their china made cousins. And i am sure this is not just due to the import taxs.

But so why are there still a lot of people in china that are willing to shell out extras $$$ for the german made ones. It is not just coz of country of origin. But according to people i know from china, the German made one has better quality control and are different. While those made in china has a tendency to break down with lil problems here n there after 3 years.

How true this is i aren't sure. After all i have never truly experience it. But unless the price is 50% lower than current price. Otherwise I would still prefer my German Made Car to be truly made in german. Moreover, like it or not it is going to affect the resale price when u need to sell it next time.

you are comparing jv products against those from manufacturers’ grassroots plants.... apple and orange

jv management is separate and there is only that much bmw audi or merc can have a say in. also why would you give the best technology to your jv plants?

volvo in this case is owned by geely. why would geely not take the best stuff to put into their own production plants?

• Praise 1

You mean to say OMV lower but price same. 

haha if that's the case, they can swat flies in their showroom

i mean if MIC is cheaper and they intend the export to the rest of asia, might make sense for them if sales volume can increase...... anyway Sg is a small market

The imported one from Germany cost 2m RMB, while the china made one only cost 800 thousand RMB.

I will take the China made one without second thought. :D  :D

• Praise 2

I will take the China made one without second thought. :D  :D

Without a doubt, majority of the people will take china made one if the price difference is so great. But the problem is, if made in china volvo arrive on our shore. Will the price also be a huge difference in comparison to other conti vehicles or around the same. :a-happy: 

• Praise 1

Without a doubt, majority of the people will take china made one if the price difference is so great. But the problem is, if made in china volvo arrive on our shore. Will the price also be a huge difference in comparison to other conti vehicles or around the same. :a-happy:

They already said that no cost savings for buyers even though it's made in China

According to the news report, no cost savings. So if going by that, price is same. 

are they exporting to singapore only or the rest of asia?

I'm sure there will be impact. i think the impact is bigger here compared to other countries. Somehow we are more brand or quality conscious and we have the uniqueness (or trouble) of COE.

Who knows, maybe the car may cost cheaper and made more accessible to the mass market.

Seems like it has already exported to some markets including America.

https://www.motor1.com/news/241866/chinese-factories-better-than-europe/

Anyway, interesting article

According to the news report, no cost savings. So if going by that, price is same.

Then Wernes better improve the specs.

i think wearnes has no choice .. maybe they are asked to take from china instead of europe .. volvo instruction maybe

but can lower prices mah... only a die hard volvo sucker will now buy.

• Praise 2

but can lower prices mah... only a die hard volvo sucker will now buy.

I’m a bloody sucker for resale Volvo. Let others go drawn the first blood by stealership.

The news report say that MIC quality is the same but I think nobody will buy unless the selling price is slashed significantly. Buyers are not stupid

Sorry for digging out a old thread.

Was trying to look around the forum for some review on S90 but didn't get much luck for that.

Any current or ex-owner car to share the review of your S90?

Basically, i'm looking at the major / most common issue to expect while having a S90.

Any special care required?

What is the typical servicing regime ?

Is S90 a problematic car?

↡ Advertisement