Seeking opinion on BMW X4, Lexus NX300h and Porsche Macan

Glxfan

89 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the better car, overall as a good buy?

• BMW X4 xDrive35i
    • Porsche Macan
    • Lexus NX300h

Just side line a bit,i wonder,VW[DSG],Porsche[PDK] & Audi[s-Tronic],all "Dual Clutch Gearbox",are they the same gearbox,with different names.?Or maybe just different tuning.?

↡ Advertisement

The X4 is just so ugly (IMO).. I can't bear to see it for long, cause so much pain in the eyes.

NX has too much going on for the design. If you like clean uncluttered lines, you won't like the NX.

If can afford, Porsche Macan is the way to go... looks good. Drives good. Sounds good. Well-made. Ticks too many boxes.

Twincharged

After looking at it for sometime, it is not that ugly at all.  Especially X4 M40  IL6 Twin scroll turbo Yummy yummy.

attachicon.gif1443717803469.jpg

It isn't that ugly to me but quite useless. If I wanted the inconvenience of a car that looks like a coupe, I would go for a coupe or those 4-door coupes. If I wanted something as practical as an SUV, then I'd go for a SUV which doesn't handle as well as a coupe but is much more practical. The X4 and X6 do look OK to me but then its like having the worst of both a coupe and SUV.

• Praise 2

BMW grows better in eyes day to day. When I bought F10, everyone said not good looking car, that too, when compared with E60, but now everyone says F10 is a good looking car. X4 will look nice to you soon.

The X4 is just so ugly (IMO).. I can't bear to see it for long, cause so much pain in the eyes.

NX has too much going on for the design. If you like clean uncluttered lines, you won't like the NX.

If can afford, Porsche Macan is the way to go... looks good. Drives good. Sounds good. Well-made. Ticks too many boxes.

• Praise 1

BMW grows better in eyes day to day. When I bought F10, everyone said not good looking car, that too, when compared with E60, but now everyone says F10 is a good looking car. X4 will look nice to you soon.

I hope so... but X6 still looks ugly to me till today. Coupe and SUV doesn't mix IMO...  [:p]

• Praise 2

I ve driven all 3 of them, and own neither.  If you have the dough, Macan is the one to get.  Porsche really knows how to build cars.  The X4 35i is not up to mark with the Macan( S version I mean) and that's why BMW is coming up with a X4 M40i (wah these days BMW names getting longer n longer like Mitsubishi used to be).

• Praise 1

The porsche macan is not just a rebadge Q5/VW. It may share its platform and some components with the Q5 but that just stops there.The rest of the Macan parts are all porsche. The PDK dual clutch trans is the best if not one of the best out there, the gear shifts are spot on and shifts like a sports car. If you have the chance to test drive all three cars mentioned, try to push the cars when doing corners. The macan just out handles the lexus and bmw. The base macan is more than enough in singapore, if you need the extra kick or feel the need to floor it just turn on sports mode. For me I went for the base macan and with the 40k that i saved instead of getting the S variant, used that sum of money on the options. If you have frequent passengers i would recommend getting the optioned three zone climate.

• Praise 2

Turbocharged

The porsche macan is not just a rebadge Q5/VW. It may share its platform and some components with the Q5 but that just stops there.The rest of the Macan parts are all porsche. The PDK dual clutch trans is the best if not one of the best out there, the gear shifts are spot on and shifts like a sports car. If you have the chance to test drive all three cars mentioned, try to push the cars when doing corners. The macan just out handles the lexus and bmw. The base macan is more than enough in singapore, if you need the extra kick or feel the need to floor it just turn on sports mode. For me I went for the base macan and with the 40k that i saved instead of getting the S variant, used that sum of money on the options. If you have frequent passengers i would recommend getting the optioned three zone climate.

ironically, a bit of info I dug up very recently suggests that the PDK dual-clutch transmission in the Macan is in fact a derivative (not an exact copy, mind you) of the ZF-manufactured Audi DL501.

• Praise 1

Neutral Newbie

thanks everyone for sharing your reviews and exchanges, really glad that I've penned down my thoughts and the comments here are really great and constructive, truly appreciate it!

guess I'll be striking off the Lexus though it was a very good ride indeed, not because of what was shared but personally feel the other 2 cars have better value proposition.

the X4's reallt amazing and looks really good. had another sit down in the car without test driving it and feels luxurious. not really keen on it being lack of 5yrs warranty and servicing, small issue for a performance like this, but I'd very much like to have a peace of mind 

have gone for another go at the macan and came to realise that the handling is really really very good. The test drive wasn't done by me this round but by the sales person and did push the car much more in the corners and I'm truly impressed. 

also highlighted by the sales rep that there will be changes to the PCM which is some form of MMI in Porsche terms and an engine upgrade with more hp and torque does anyone have more info on this? 

am quite satisfied with the Porsche so far and might be going for this option, well, might not be the best choice according to the postings here and really thank everyone for sharing your expertise and knowledge. cheers

if is a 2016 model the macan is 252 hp. 

i heard 2016 models already included the 3 zone climate.

• Praise 1

Neutral Newbie

wait got GLC Coupe ... [thumbsup]

i guess so just not sure how long the wait will be as GLC already got to wait till end of the year, I believe they will be launching the new E-Class next. then maybe GLC coupe (if it is ready, no news of spy shot of it yet)

CLA also getting a new facelift.  

The next SUV i keen to wait will be the Jaguar F-Pace. Not sure when it will go on sale here.

Hi all just to restart the thread here. F pace is already out. Most feedback comment on disappointing interior despite the fact it won some awards overseas. My naive question is How about Evoque or Discovery Sport were not included in the comparison against X4 n Lexus?

• Praise 1

Hi all just to restart the thread here. F pace is already out. Most feedback comment on disappointing interior despite the fact it won some awards overseas. My naive question is How about Evoque or Discovery Sport were not included in the comparison against X4 n Lexus?

Since u mention Jag / LR, correct me if I am wrong, current models selling is still using FORD Engine?

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1094307_jaguar-land-rover-to-start-using-inline-6-engines-in-2017--report

According to CAR, the next Ingenium engine will be an inline-6 displacing 3.0 liters and delivering between 270 and 500 horsepower thanks to turbocharging. It’s said to be arriving next year.

The engine is to replace the current 3.0-liter V-6 which Jaguar Land Rover sources from Ford Motor Company [NYSE:F]. It’s possible the engine’s first application will be in the LR4-replacing Discovery SUV currently doing the rounds as a prototype

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/spy-shots/jaguar/jaguar-land-rover-readies-ingenium-straight-six-for-launch-in-20171/

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1