Compact (~4.3m)

Honda Freed 1.5 / 1.0T* (new model)

Honda Mobilio 1.5 (new facelift)

Toyota Sienta 1.5 / 1.5H

Toyota Avanza 1.5 (new facelift)

Mid-Size (~4.5 -4.6m)

BMW 2 Series Gran Tourer 1.6D

Chevrolet Orlando 1.4T

Citroen Grand C4 Picasso 1.6D / 1.2T* (new facelift)

Fore Grand C-Max 1.5T

Honda Jade 1.5H / 1.5T

Kia Carens 2.0 / 1.7D

Mazda 5 2.0

Opel Zafira Tourer 1.4T

Peugeot 5008 1.6D

Renault Grand Scenic 1.5D

Toyota Prius Alpha 1.8H (new facelift)

Toyota Wish 1.8

VW Touran 1.4T (new model)

Boxy / In-Between (~4.7m)

Honda Stepwgn 1.5T

Mazda Biante 2.0

Nissan Serena 2.0H

Toyota Esquire 1.8H / 2.0

Toyota Noah 1.8H / 2.0

Toyota Voxy 1.8H / 2.0

Full Size (4.8m - 4.9m)

Ford S-Max 1.5T* (new model)

Honda Odyssey 2.4 / 2.0H (hybrid expected to be carried by PI)

Renault Grand Espace*

Ssangyong Stavic 2.0D

Seat Alhambra 2.0D (new in Singapore)

Toyota Estima / Previa 2.4 / 2.4H (new facelift)

VW Sharan 2.0T (new facelift)

Large Size / Luxury (>4.9m)

Chrysler Grand Voyager 2.8D

Mercedes Benz V-Class 2.2D

Nissan Elgrand 2.5

Toyota Alphard 2.5

Toyota Vellfire 2.5

Edited by Carbon82
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 6

Supersonic

Maybe I'm biased but petrol 1.4l on MPV seems Abit underpowered to me even though it's twin scroll?

I could be wrong cos initially I also thought the 2GT 1.5l diesel was not sufficient but boy was I wrong haha!

Turbo Diesel is best for SG, city! Early torque, no need 98 ron. Its cat A horses w big cat B torque. Too bad jap AD wont give TD locally.

A family friend years ago informed of 9 per litre on the twin charge 1.4 tsi.

• Praise 4

(edited)

Today ST advertise, Mazda Biante comes with 8 air-bags ... [flowerface]

Any other changes? I find the other version in Japan has a sportier look...

bi_design_color_img5.ts.1510010605585230

Edited by Carbon82
  • Praise 4

Turbo Diesel is best for SG, city! Early torque, no need 98 ron. Its cat A horses w big cat B torque. Too bad jap AD wont give TD locally.

A family friend years ago informed of 9 per litre on the twin charge 1.4 tsi.

I concur, plus the lower fuel consumption (Km/L). But the special diesel tax is a moving goal pole leh... will it suffer the same fate as CNG cars a few years down the road?

• Praise 4

I took a ride in my colleague's Touran. I was literally squatting in the last row.

This morning, I went to check out x-trail. Worst. No space for my feet at all. The best way to sit was to cross the legs as if like sitting on the floor. The overall interior space is smaller than Wish.

I am a shorty and I thought Sienta, Mobilio Avanza and Freed are much more comfortable than these two in the last row.

• Praise 1

Supersonic

I concur, plus the lower fuel consumption (Km/L). But the special diesel tax is a moving goal pole leh... will it suffer the same fate as CNG cars a few years down the road?

Thats the risk required lor. In my case, i do 18k per yr. So even if its increased to 60cts per cc per year, i can still benefit. But ya, its the uncertainty thats uncomfortable.

Also theres no conservative sub 2L model . have safe ainsin 6at but sophisticated electronics. Proven 1.7 but unproven 7dct dry. Basic 1.5td with aisin 6at, however all else french fries. Proven 1.4td w 6dct dry.

• Praise 3

Turbocharged

What you had mentioned above are around $200k ....

Unless you have that kind of cash to spend, $200k for 10 years.... -_-

Today ST advertised for Mercedes CLA 180 coupe, CLA Shooting Brake and GLA all from $125k.. [sly]

People talk mpv u tok compact conti, simi lj :D

Turbocharged

Not from PI. from the company helping to do my skoda import. If you need contact, PM me.

Bro, u self importing skoda?

Turbocharged

Today ST advertise, Mazda Biante comes with 8 air-bags ... [flowerface]

Any truth in the article below?

http://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Companies/Mazda-pulling-out-of-minivans

HIROSHIMA, Japan -- Mazda Motor plans to end development and production of minivans, whose popularity has waned with the rise of sport utility vehicles, joining other midsize Japanese automakers narrowing their model lineups.

The company will not roll out successors to its three current minivan models: the Premacy, known as the Mazda5 outside of Japan; the MPV, also known as the Mazda8; and the Biante.

Domestic unit sales of these three models totaled about 10,600 last year, only a quarter of their most recent volume peak in 2010. The Hiroshima Prefecture-based company sees little to be gained from continuing to produce them, judging that big automakers have gained the upper hand in minivan popularity.

Production of the MPV will end as soon as this year. When Mazda stops making the Premacy, it will also discontinue supplies of the vehicle to Nissan Motor on an original equipment manufacturer basis. Sales of the three models are expected to end by 2017.

The company will channel freed-up resources into its SUVs, a vehicle type with greater global appeal. It plans to develop a seven-passenger model based on its midsize CX-5 that will go on sale as soon as 2018.

Minivans enjoyed rock-solid demand as family cars in Japan in the late 1990s and early 2000s. But SUVs have eaten into their popularity as big-capacity autos by playing up design and the fun of driving.

Midsize Japanese automakers lacking the depth of resources of say, Toyota Motor, are finding it harder to maintain extensive vehicle lineups amid rising competition.

Mitsubishi Motors will end development of its Lancer sedan and freeze its program for the Pajero SUV at the current model. Instead, it is pushing into environmentally friendly vehicles, with plans to release a plug-in hybrid in fiscal 2017.

Fuji Heavy Industries, the maker of Subaru cars, led the way in brand consolidation. It ended in-house production and development of minivehicles in 2012 and doubled down on SUVs, a market segment where it has found growth in North America and Japan. The company expects to sell 954,000 vehicles worldwide in the year ending March 31, the most ever.

(Nikkei)

(edited)

Any truth in the article below?

http://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Companies/Mazda-pulling-out-of-minivans

HIROSHIMA, Japan -- Mazda Motor plans to end development and production of minivans, whose popularity has waned with the rise of sport utility vehicles, joining other midsize Japanese automakers narrowing their model lineups.

The company will not roll out successors to its three current minivan models: the Premacy, known as the Mazda5 outside of Japan; the MPV, also known as the Mazda8; and the Biante.

Domestic unit sales of these three models totaled about 10,600 last year, only a quarter of their most recent volume peak in 2010. The Hiroshima Prefecture-based company sees little to be gained from continuing to produce them, judging that big automakers have gained the upper hand in minivan popularity.

Production of the MPV will end as soon as this year. When Mazda stops making the Premacy, it will also discontinue supplies of the vehicle to Nissan Motor on an original equipment manufacturer basis. Sales of the three models are expected to end by 2017.

The company will channel freed-up resources into its SUVs, a vehicle type with greater global appeal. It plans to develop a seven-passenger model based on its midsize CX-5 that will go on sale as soon as 2018.

Minivans enjoyed rock-solid demand as family cars in Japan in the late 1990s and early 2000s. But SUVs have eaten into their popularity as big-capacity autos by playing up design and the fun of driving.

Midsize Japanese automakers lacking the depth of resources of say, Toyota Motor, are finding it harder to maintain extensive vehicle lineups amid rising competition.

Mitsubishi Motors will end development of its Lancer sedan and freeze its program for the Pajero SUV at the current model. Instead, it is pushing into environmentally friendly vehicles, with plans to release a plug-in hybrid in fiscal 2017.

Fuji Heavy Industries, the maker of Subaru cars, led the way in brand consolidation. It ended in-house production and development of minivehicles in 2012 and doubled down on SUVs, a market segment where it has found growth in North America and Japan. The company expects to sell 954,000 vehicles worldwide in the year ending March 31, the most ever.

(Nikkei)

I thought production of Mazda 8 (aka MPV in Japan) has stopped earlier this year?

Yes, from what I read on some Japanese website, no plan for sucessor to Mazda 5 and 8. Didn't know about Biante. BTW, for those of you wondering what is Mazda supplying to Nissan, the 2nd generation Nissan Lafesta is a badge engineered Mazda 5 (aka Premacy in Japan), with some comestic tweak (including a different door panels that look much like the earlier generation M5).

photo_01.jpgphoto_02.jpg

I am wondering if the reverse would happen for Biante, i.e. it will be a badge engineered new Nissan Serena (which is expected to be launched by end of this year). There is still demand for boxy MPV back in Japan.

Edited by Carbon82
  • Praise 4

I took a ride in my colleague's Touran. I was literally squatting in the last row.

This morning, I went to check out x-trail. Worst. No space for my feet at all. The best way to sit was to cross the legs as if like sitting on the floor. The overall interior space is smaller than Wish.

I am a shorty and I thought Sienta, Mobilio Avanza and Freed are much more comfortable than these two in the last row.

I didn't get any rides on the two, but when i checked them out at the showrooms (Touran at that time only have it in the carpark, showroom no space…), i felt exactly the same way as you. Really felt the 3rd row space in the 2 CMI, not forgetting the 'hole puncher' 2nd row seats of Touran  :brzzzzz:  

If anyone with long legs (like me) go into 3rd row, then legs not careful when 2nd row seats are pushed back down, might need to drive straight to A&E…  :TT_TT:

• Praise 1

I thought production of Mazda 8 (aka MPV in Japan) has stopped earlier this year?

Yes, from what I read on some Japanese website, no plan for sucessor to Mazda 5 and 8. Didn't know about Biante. BTW, for those of you wondering what is Mazda supplying to Nissan, the 2nd generation Nissan Lafesta is a badge engineered Mazda 5 (aka Premacy in Japan), with some comestic tweak (including a different door panels that look much like the earlier generation M5).

I am wondering if the reverse would happen for Biante, i.e. it will be a badge engineered new Nissan Serena (which is expected to be launched by end of this year). There is still demand for boxy MPV back in Japan.

bro, what does "badge engineered " mean?

• Praise 1

bro, what does "badge engineered " mean?

Same vehicle model with different brand name or badges.

Example:

Nissan Lafesta is shared with Mazda 5 aka Premacy

Seat Alhambra is shared with VW Sharan

Subaru Traviq is shared with previous generation Opel Zafira

1st generation Honda Crossroad is shared with 1st generation Land River Discovery

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 4