Singapore ‘McRefugee’ in Hong Kong

Jman888

Maybe is the Singapore side reporter's phone? Afterall its state that it was TNP who organised this video conference call.

possible.

↡ Advertisement

this one not reporter phone meh?

I never say it's her phone lah. But to use facetime, the son has to use iphone too mah. Can't be android.

I never say it's her phone lah. But to use facetime, the son has to use iphone too mah. Can't be android.

oh.... I tot Skype can between different OS.... but I think you should know better than me cuz I never use before.. hehe 

• Praise 1

http://news.asiaone.com/news/singapore/son-surprises-spore-mcrefugee-mum-visit-hk-22-lunch?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook&utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_term=Autofeed&link_time=1448087483#xtor=EchoBox

They are finally United. So glad that there are some Singaporeans in Singapore and Hong Kong and even jetstar to chip in for transport and accommodation to make it a success.

Edited by Yewheng
  • Praise 4

http://news.asiaone.com/news/singapore/son-surprises-spore-mcrefugee-mum-visit-hk-22-lunch?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook&utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_term=Autofeed&link_time=1448087483#xtor=EchoBox

They are finally United. So glad that there are some Singaporeans in Singapore and Hong Kong and even jetstar to chip in for transport and accommodation to make it a success.

Yay! So heart warming & happy for them

It's such a bliss to have a filial son like him [thumbsup]

Having a good character stands above all else

• Praise 4

The emo she faced could be quite unbearable, cant imagine to be cheated of so much money, like what bro vid mentioned, it's probably guilt and she does not know how to answer to her loved ones

Kinda poor thing.....back to my usual thoughts, many singaporeans are too gullible, people make honest living here and cheating is not that prevalent, people are protected hence lack the conscious level of being aware, suspicious of cheaters n scams

In China, cheats are everywhere, n people are highly suspicious and alert

One China lady who had been here for more than 10 yrs told my friend during a hair cut that she feels stupid when she returns to China for visiting, she has lost that alertness, having stayed here for too long

That's why many of them rather watch kid die after ran over by cars and ignore kid being kicked by man. Because they thought it could be a scheme or it's non of their business.

• Praise 1

This is great, but these are all one-time gestures. The road ahead will be tough.

• Praise 1

This is great, but these are all one-time gestures. The road ahead will be tough.

Well, she's a victim of her foolishness/naviety. 

I hope it all turns out for the better!

Edited by Lala81
  • Praise 2

$600 for rental seems abit ex.... now $400+ can get liao

son has nice hairdo though... I wonder what phone he using...

so cheap? i believe it should be still closer to 600.

single male harder to find rental room though.

• Praise 1

actually there are many McRefugee around the world, even in singapore.

Well at least, she lost her money and she knew it, refusing to go back for the fear of losing face.

unlike some folks from some big congregation

S'PORE MCREFUGEE FINALLY RETURNS HOME WITH SON
S'POREAN MUM WHO SPENT MONTHS IN HONG KONG AS A MCREFUGEE FINALLY RETURNS HOME WITH ONLY SON
Nov 22, 2015 6:00am
BY CHAI HUNG YIN

I have been away for so long. I missed my son the most... Because he came looking for me, I feel better.
- Ms Mary Seow upon returning to Singapore

Thanks to readers of The New Paper, Singaporean Mary Seow was able to leave her harsh life in Hong Kong and return to Singapore with her son.

Arriving yesterday evening on a Jetstar Asia flight, with tickets sponsored by the airline, the 60-year-old smiled shyly as she emerged from the luggage collection area at Changi Airport's Terminal 1.

With her was her only son, Mr Edward Goh, 28, who flew to Hong Kong on Friday morning for a surprise visit, with the help of several kind TNP readers.

Mary Seow comes homeMary Seow comes homeMary Seow comes home
Last weekend, TNP first reported about Ms Seow's plight of living in Hong Kong as a McRefugee - a term used to describe a homeless individual seeking overnight shelter at a 24-hour McDonald's outlet.

She eked out a living on the streets, earning just 200 yuan ($44) a trip as an illegal "parallel trader", carrying goods such as diapers, milk powder and other branded items across the border to the mainland.

She told TNP yesterday that there were times she would go hungry for three to four days.

Before arriving in Hong Kong in August, she had spent several years away from her family in China, where she last worked as a street sweeper.

Her family here was shocked to discover her life as described in the paper last week.

NP_20151122_HYMARY_1079649.jpg?itok=mbmZ

NP_20151122_HYMARY2_1079766.jpg?itok=7rz
REUNITED: Ms Mary Seow and her son, Mr Edward Goh, back together in Singapore, where they are hoping to start anew. TNP PHOTOS: PHYLLICIA WANG

Mr Goh had filed a missing person's report almost five years ago when Ms Seow, a single parent, became uncontactable after abruptly selling the flat she had shared with him here and leaving for China.

TNP first linked up mother and son via a video call on Tuesday.

An outpouring of support from readers meant that Mr Goh, who earns $2,000 a month, could fly to Hong Kong. A Singaporean working and living there picked him up from the airport and paid for lodging.

TNP also found a way to get him to meet his mother.

Eventually, Mr Goh was able to convince Ms Seow to return to Singapore.

Ms Seow said her son told her: "Mummy, as long as you find happiness, it's okay to me.

"What has happened, don't think about it. We start anew."

Waiting at the airport yesterday to greet the duo were Ms Seow's uncle, Mr Roland Seow, 59, and his wife, Madam Phyllis Ho, 56, (above) both property agents.

Mr Seow had reached out to TNP for help after reading the first article on his niece.

With wide smiles, they greeted each other with firm handshakes.

Mr Seow said he had lost hope of ever seeing her again and his heart felt heavy when he found out about her situation in Hong Kong and the risks she took.

FILIAL SON

Last night, Mr Goh brought his mother back to the HDB flat where he rents a room.

He had cleaned up the place and found an extra bed before leaving for Hong Kong, in the hope that she would return with him, he said.

He beamed widely as he helped his mother with her luggage.

Ms Seow said: "I have been away for so long. I missed my son the most."

She said she had been too ashamed to return home after having sold the flat that should have been her son's home and losing her money in China.

Had she known that her son would visit, she would have disappeared to avoid him out of embarrassment and guilt.

But after meeting her son, and with much persuasion by her son and uncle, she relented and agreed to return home with him.

She said simply: "Because he came looking for me, I feel better."

The future is uncertain for the duo as they have to try to sort out their living arrangements here.

The ever filial Mr Goh last night fretted about his mum not having her own pillow, saying: "She can use mine first."

Finally a happy ending...
  • Praise 3

after the McRefugee, now we have ChangiRefugee....  strawberries??  all they do is "Eat, smoke, charge phone."!!

TRIO CALLS CHANGI AIRPORT HOME FOR LAST SEVEN MONTHS
HOMELESS COUPLE SET UP CAMP AT CHANGI AIRPORT BECAUSE...
Nov 21, 2015 6:00am
BY HARIZ BAHARUDIN

Changi Airport is a place of transit for travellers, but for one couple, it's home.

For seven months now, Miss Eileen Ho and her boyfriend, Mr Daniel Soo, both 24, would walk around the terminals with their belongings in a suitcase.

At night, they settle down on thin comforters on the floor in one corner of Terminal 3, near Xin Wang Hong Kong Cafe.

Independent checks with employees of the cafe confirm that the couple and Miss Ho's brother have been sighted late at night for several months now.

The couple told The New Paper when we visited on Wednesday that they moved into the airport after Miss Ho had a falling out with her parents.

They also took with them Miss Ho's 20-year-old brother, Wilson, whom they say suffers from epilepsy.

"We have no other place to go, that is why we stay like this," said Miss Ho, pointing to their bedding.

PART-TIME JOB

Why the airport?

Mr Soo said: "It's pretty all right here, there's free Internet, free electricity and free water."

Mr Soo said he occasionally gets a call to report for his part-time job at a catering company in the area. He earns about $500 a month.

The couple said they have been living on this amount for food, cigarette and top-ups for their mobile phones. Friends also drop in with food from time to time, they added.

Miss Ho said that, initially, they stayed at a friend's flat in Chinatown, but were asked to move out after two weeks.

Mr Soo said he has nowhere to go either, as he was orphaned at a young age.

When asked what they do each day, Miss Ho answered with a shrug: "Eat, smoke, charge phone."

When asked why they have not found jobs or got more help, Miss Ho said it has been difficult for them to find jobs because potential employers would not hire "homeless people".

She also said she worked at a cafe three years ago and has qualifications in food-and-beverage operations.

The couple claimed that they approached a Family Service Centre for help, but there was no follow up.

The couple and Miss Ho's brother were notified by Changi's security guards to move out on Friday.

A spokesman for Changi Airport Group said that they had hooked the trio up with the Ministry of Social and Family Development (MSF) and "a social welfare officer is currently exploring accommodation options with them".

An MSF spokesman confirmed that it was aware of this case.

The MSF spokesman said: "The persons mentioned had received financial and social assistance from both Social Service Office (SSO) and Family Service Centre (FSC).

"Temporary shelter options were also offered to them previously, but they had declined the offer.

"They often missed their scheduled appointments with the FSC social workers and were also reluctant to work with help agencies on their accommodation issues.

"Nonetheless, our help agencies will continue to offer assistance. Two of the persons are currently receiving financial assistance from the SSO. We will continue to work with them to offer alternative shelter options."

TNP approached the chairman of the Government Parliamentary Committee for Social And Family Development, Mr Seah Kian Peng, to ask his views on the trio's plight.

He noted that there were options available to the couple.

"There are numerous Social Service Offices all over Singapore which they could visit," said Mr Seah.

"They could also speak to their MPs or look into the interim housing plan that is in place to handle such situations."

He stressed the importance of being fair when it comes to providing assistance.

"People need to try and work, too," he said.

"We want to be fair to all parties and render help to those who need it the most. Getting help should not be a soft option."

The persons mentioned had received financial and social assistance from both Social Service Office and Family Service Centre. Temporary shelter options were also offered to them previously, but they had declined the offer.
- A Ministry of Social And Family Development spokesman

• Praise 1

Lazy bum.. don't want to work, reject temp home shelter. Use the financial aid to buy cigarette. I think should stop financial aid to them, Give them meal voucher instead.

• Praise 1

Finally a happy ending...

All the money in the world cannot beat being together with one's family. Hope the future will be better for them.

• Praise 2

Certainly a heart warming news after last few days of bad news from Europe !!

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1