Need help - Anyone driving BMW 520i (F10)

Aerosmith

hi, my friend has a 520i bought 2 years already. since day 1, the car will vibrate when stop at traffic light in Drive mode. this is of course with the engine still running, idling at traffic lights. can feel the whole car vibrate from the feet and whole seat. every passenger can feel it. It happens the whole day even after warming up.

the worst part is that his mechanic at PML says it is normal for this model. they even let my friend test sit the demo car to prove that their demo car has the same vibration.

i help my friend search on BMW forums but no one complain of this permanent vibration. only some people complain of intermittent vibrations which goes away after warm up.

anyone who drives 520i or has friends who has driven 520i, please comment whether yours got vibrate at idle?

↡ Advertisement

hi, my friend has a 520i bought 2 years already. since day 1, the car will vibrate when stop at traffic light in Drive mode. this is of course with the engine still running, idling at traffic lights. can feel the whole car vibrate from the feet and whole seat. every passenger can feel it. It happens the whole day even after warming up.

the worst part is that his mechanic at PML says it is normal for this model. they even let my friend test sit the demo car to prove that their demo car has the same vibration.

i help my friend search on BMW forums but no one complain of this permanent vibration. only some people complain of intermittent vibrations which goes away after warm up.

anyone who drives 520i or has friends who has driven 520i, please comment whether yours got vibrate at idle?

What's the rpm at idle?  A couple of my Bimmers idled at about 500 rpm, so there was vibration when stationary.  Just get PML to tune up the idling speed to about 800 rpm and the vibration is gone.

• Praise 2

What's the rpm at idle?  A couple of my Bimmers idled at about 500 rpm, so there was vibration when stationary.  Just get PML to tune up the idling speed to about 800 rpm and the vibration is gone.

nowadays are all pre programmed, where got suka suka tune up like a carb...

Your friend? LoL..

When you off the aircon, still got that strong vibration?

While you are driving try to accelerate hard, look for signs of power loss or better still...error code/CEL appear. Prease do not let your car be at stationary and you just pedal to the metal. There's no load being applied. So go to an empty road to try it out.

If none of the above happens you got to troubleshoot part by part.

Start with the air sensors. The MAF(mass airflow sensor located just after the airbox) and the MAP(mass air pressure sensor just before the throttle body). Make sure no power is on, close all doors and boot, unplug the connector of the sensors, unscrew them and clean with electrical contact cleaner. Can buy from DIY stores. WD-40 brand has contact cleaners, make sure it's for electrical. Spray and clean the part where the air flows thru, make sure you only touch the plastic part of the sensor. Cleaning the sensors will make a lot of difference. No more rough vibrations.

Cleaning the throttle body. That will need a mechanic to help you do it.

Ignition coil. Have a mechanic check whether there are any current leakage.

Check the spark plugs. Check for signs of wear and tear.

Check engine mounts.

A lot of things can cause vibration. Your mechanic is like your doctor. You tell him vibration all over the car he will scratch his head and do not know where to start. If got error code or something he can at least look into it. You are the one driving the car daily not your mechanic. So if you can't describe to him in details he won't know what to look into. Just like going to the doctor. If you give him a general description he will give you general medication.

See ah...when you tell the mechanic the vibration is there ever since you collected the car. He of course will tell you it's like that loh. So you got to sit down and think when it actually started and anything else you have spotted is abnormal. This to me is communication issue. Nothing to do with the mechanic.

Edited by Watwheels
  • Praise 9

thanks guys, my friend car is under warranty. so best not to self diagnose or go other workshop.

just need some first hand testimony, as long as your 520i is smooth at idle, then he will go PML bang table.

• Praise 1

One of the reasons why buying a new car is so shiok is because the first time you get in, you realise it's so quiet inside and the cabin isn't vibrating......

Edited by flashbang

Vibration is always there in any car...it is just whether it is severe enough for you to detect it.

But no, the f10 should not vibrate like a camry in gear and is actually smoother than the gs.

thanks guys, my friend car is under warranty. so best not to self diagnose or go other workshop.

just need some first hand testimony, as long as your 520i is smooth at idle, then he will go PML bang table.

Yes, please go back PML to rectify if the vibrations are worsening. Engine mounts (one or both sides) are not an expensive fix, but always good to do it FOC.

↡ Advertisement