Fallen Tree Near Neptune Court (19/11/2015)

Heartlander

This morning witnessed the start of a fallen tree event along Marine Parade Road just outside Neptune Court. As the attached pictures showed, the tree blocked all the 3 lanes.

As I walked along to Still Road to catch the connecting bus, managed to alert fellow commuters waiting in the next 2 bus-stops about the fallen tree. It was not easy for me to do it, but I did not think I could forgive myself for withholding the information so I did it anyway. Felt good. I hope all would do like-wise when face with similar situation.

But looking at the root of the fallen tree really make me worried, as to how it could break so easily. Could be due to thunder storm the last few days? With the monsoon season arriving, we should be expecting more of such events.

post-101253-0-64422600-1447893329_thumb.jpg

post-101253-0-98474200-1447893329_thumb.jpg

post-101253-0-28855400-1447893330_thumb.jpg

post-101253-0-57883200-1447893330_thumb.jpg

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 7

Thankfully it was clear, no car was under it at the time  [sweatdrop]

Luckily no car pass by at that time when the tree fall! Looks like nparks really not doing a good job in maintaining the trees here?!

Lately seen quite alot of digging going around this stretch of the road, I think they may be soil surveying maybe for the MRT lines- as had seen quite a number of those Eiffel like towers pop up along the stretch quite many times ; Don't know if it could be that or just "act of god"  or the roots inside rotting   

I am not expert but the depth of the roots seems to be very swallow for a tree of this height... Instant tree?

You mean shallow?

I think is not instant tree. Looks like there are already rotting in the roots area. Even if transplant, for tree this size, it should have a spread it roots quite a fair bit.

its a LKY thing, this planting trees all along our road, and it makes SG very beautiful, but sometimes i wonder, road safety wise, is it really a wise thing to do?

i don't see that in many cities, and maybe there is a good reason not to...

Edited by Chongster

its a LKY thing, this planting trees all along our road, and it makes SG very beautiful, but sometimes i wonder, road safety wise, is it really a wise thing to do?

i don't see that in many cities, and maybe there is a good reason not to...

Not many cities the budget to do these kinda things at our scale. Even if they have the budget, they simply don't bother with it.

Call it LKY's bright moment if you'd like it

• Praise 2

I'm no marine biologist but i think those buses could've helped to push the trunk to one side

Nowadays bus bumper all plastic one leh - easily kenna damaged- bus where got sling to tow or drag - actually if got enuf pax inside can mobilise them to drag the tree to free up at least 1 lane - but nowadays no "kongsi" spirit unless got someone hurt maybe; maybe all will be more busy taking selfies and posting on FB    

↡ Advertisement